ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after watching the replay

bdgan

May 29, 2008
  • Screen passes killed us in the first half. PSU routinely sells out to create pressure. USC was expecting it led to way too many explosive plays.
  • The low block on Carter saved us before halftime. USC had 1st and goal but that penalty forced USC to accept a FG. 6-24 at halftime might have been insurmountable.
  • Passes to Singleton were nice. He had 4 catches with a TD.
  • I thought (hoped?) PSU would take control of the game after tying it 20-20 with 4:40 left in Q3. No such luck. Carter dropped a likely pick 6 that might have sealed the game.
  • PSU kept getting beat when they blitzed. We only got 1 sack and 1 turnover. The turnover was the pass intercepted by Reed at the end of regulation. Moss just missed it. It wasn't created by our pressure. I continue to think we pressure/blitz too much. The reward vs risk hasn't been in our favor. We're 9th/10th in the BiG with 14 sacks but 7 of those came late vs Illinois. We simply haven't had a good consistent pass rush. a lot of that is because we bring the heat so often that opponents have countered with screens and quick release passes.
  • PSU's last drive with 5:30 remaining was an adventure. Some great runs and passes but Allar was almost intercepted again. We relied on two 4th down conversions to Fleming (4th and 7, 4th and 10). It was good to finally see Fleming make some plays.
  • Warren was incredible but how was he allowed to be so wide open on several catches?
  • PSU got lucky in OT. Tracy definitely grabbled jersey. It wasn't horrible but it was enough to call. Miller definitely arrived early but announcers didn't mention that Carter was held by #79 on that play.

Last edited:
  • Screen passes killed us in the first half. PSU sells out to create pressure and USC was expecting it.
  • The low block on Carter saved us before halftime. USC had 1st and goal but that penalty forced USC to accept a FG. 6-24 at halftime might have been insurmountable.
  • I thought (hoped?) PSU would take control of the game after tying it 20-20 with 4:40 left in Q3. No such luck. Carter dropped a likely pick 6 that might have sealed the game.
  • PSU kept getting beat when they blitzed. We only got 1 sack and 1 turnover. That was the pass intercepted by Reed at the end of regulation. Moss just missed it. It wasn't created by our pressure. I continue to think we pressure/blitz too much. The reward vs risk hasn't been in our favor.
  • PSU's last drive with 5:30 remaining was an adventure. Some great runs and passes but Allar was almost intercepted again. We relied on two 4th down conversions to Fleming (4th and 7, 4th and 10).
  • Warren was incredible but how was he allowed to be so wide open on several catches?
  • PSU got lucky in OT. Tracy definitely grabbled jersey. It wasn't horrible but it was enough to call. Miller definitely arrived early but announcers didn't mention that Carter was held by #79 on that play.
I’d argue a couple of points.

First, PSU outperformed USC in every stat. I know it didn’t seem that way but it is true.

Refs let the DBs play and called very few PI. At the same time there was a lot of holding against our DL. Also their right OT jumped the snap several times in critical plays.

Singletons TD was the same chip and go play from last week where he pancaked the DE then ran over the DB for a critical first down.

Allar’s near INT was due to the fact that he had to throw caution to the wind at that point in the game.

First, PSU outperformed USC in every stat. I know it didn’t seem that way but it is true.

Refs let the DBs play and called very few PI. At the same time there was a lot of holding against our DL. Also their right OT jumped the snap several times in critical plays.

Singletons TD was the same chip and go play from last week where he pancaked the DE then ran over the DB for a critical first down.

Allar’s near INT was due to the fact that he had to throw caution to the wind at that point in the game.
Absolutely. The USC OT was moving significantly before the snap. I couldn’t believe it was never called.

I totally agree we dominated the stats. PSU had to settle for FGs in the red zone. I attribute some of that to struggles running.

I don't blame Allar for his 3rd INT because that was a hail Mary. But he also nearly had one picked off on our last game tying drive. He definitely forced things and he needs to be better. On the flip side he played with more moxie. I liked the touch he showed on some misdirection passes (roll right, throw left).

I totally agree we dominated the stats. PSU had to settle for FGs in the red zone. I attribute some of that to struggles running.

I don't blame Allar for his 3rd INT because that was a hail Mary. But he also nearly had one picked off on our last game tying drive. He definitely forced things and he needs to be better. On the flip side he played with more moxie. I liked the touch he showed on some misdirection passes (roll right, throw left).
Agree but the game dictates the risk reward decision. I believe that play ended up with PSU being at 4th and ten. So it was a third down play late in the fourth down by TD.

Reactions: bison13
Absolutely. The USC OT was moving significantly before the snap. I couldn’t believe it was never called.
The same thing happened last week in the UCLA game with one of their tackles. With that said, I’ve always thought that McGinn’s crew has done good jobs with PSU games and, if he had wanted, that one official definitely could’ve called PI on the sideline pass in OT against PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry

No doubt re: USC RT - he repeatedly got an early start stepping back with his right leg just before the snap (makes me wonder if USC QB was calling a compound snap-count - i.e., calling a number or word that indicates to snap ball on next count. This gives your OL an advantage as they are getting set to go on next noise from QB - regardless of what it is; kinda similar to the "set" in "ready-set-go"). In any event, the USC RT seemed to know exactly when the snap was coming before it came and repeatedly took a head-start by stepping his right leg back into pass-pro including on USC's last play of regulation (INT play).

Last edited:
  • Screen passes killed us in the first half. PSU sells out to create pressure and USC was expecting it.
  • PSU kept getting beat when they blitzed. We only got 1 sack and 1 turnover. That was the pass intercepted by Reed at the end of regulation. Moss just missed it. It wasn't created by our pressure. I continue to think we pressure/blitz too much. The reward vs risk hasn't been in our favor. We're 9th/10th in the BiG with 14 sacks but 7 of those came late vs Illinois. We simply haven't had a good consistent pass rush. a lot of that is because we bring the heat so often that opponents have countered with screens and quick release passes.
  • PSU's last drive with 5:30 remaining was an adventure. Some great runs and passes but Allar was almost intercepted again. We relied on two 4th down conversions to Fleming (4th and 7, 4th and 10).
Debbie Downer, try to enjoy the win. There are positives and negatives in every game.

The same thing happened last week in the UCLA game with one of their tackles. With that said, I’ve always thought that McGuinn’s crew has done good jobs with PSU games and, if he had wanted, that one official definitely could’ve called PI on the sideline pass in OT against PSU.

Yeah, he also could have called PI on Warren's TD catch in endzone, but didn't -- and the contract on Warren was far more blatant and severe (the USC DB never even attempted to play the ball and went straight after Warren well before the ball arrived - no flag). The reality is that the only contact they called all day was the OPI that wiped out PSU's first TD - and Replay clearly demonstrates that it was a bad call as Warren is still behind LOS when ball is released and it contacts his hands (making it an "inside screen" which you are absolutely allowed to block on).

Reactions: bono47

The BD in BDGAN stands for Be Depressive.

It is hard to get sacks and even pressures when wholesale tackling of defensive lineman is permitted. And I am not saying that this didn't go both ways. It did go against both DL. But given PSUs defensive style and speed at the edge it is a serious detriment in college play. However, in the long run it is a benefit because it toughens up PSUs edge rushers on their way to the NFL.

The same thing happened last week in the UCLA game with one of their tackles. With that said, I’ve always thought that McGuinn’s crew has done good jobs with PSU games and, if he had wanted, that one official definitely could’ve called PI on the sideline pass in OT against PSU.

Jerry McGinn has been one of the good ones for a long time now. Really good guy, doesn't ever lose his composure. Just fair. There was some oddness in this game but but they got the big stuff right and overall it seemed evenhanded. If they were going to let both secondaries play physical, it would have been wrong to suddenly call it in OT.

BTW a good interview with McGinn on BTN here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry
Love Coach K and how varied the offense can be, but for the life of me I don't know why we don't get the ball to Singleton more in space like we did on the pass he scored on. Few linebackers are going to be able to cover him. It's not rocket science. Get the ball to your playmakers in space.

Reactions: Obliviax
Love Coach K and how varied the offense can be, but for the life of me I don't know why we don't get the ball to Singleton more in space like we did on the pass he scored on. Few linebackers are going to be able to cover him. It's not rocket science. Get the ball to your playmakers in space.
I agree but I think Singleton is hurt. He had no burst on that TD reception, in fact looked gimpy.

• Screen passes killed us in the first half. PSU routinely sells out to create pressure. USC was expecting it led to way too many explosive plays.
  • PSU kept getting beat when they blitzed. We only got 1 sack and 1 turnover. The turnover was the pass intercepted by Reed at the end of regulation. Moss just missed it. It wasn't created by our pressure. I continue to think we pressure/blitz too much. The reward vs risk hasn't been in our favor. We're 9th/10th in the BiG with 14 sacks but 7 of those came late vs Illinois. We simply haven't had a good consistent pass rush. a lot of that is because we bring the heat so often that opponents have countered with screens and quick release passes.
  • PSU's last drive with 5:30 remaining was an adventure. Some great runs and passes but Allar was almost intercepted again. We relied on two 4th down conversions to Fleming (4th and 7, 4th and 10). It was good to finally see Fleming make some plays.
Moss was only sacked once, but was hurried several times to cause poor throws to open receivers. — The SC line was holding big time. No more evident than that 70 yard reverse where they scored. Carter was held and turned, while another Penn State lineman was also held til the runner cleared his area.
—We did get lucky with no PI calls in OT, but as others identified, they also held their flags while Penn State receivers were being held….and Warren was being mugged.
—Also possible is them being passive aggressive toward Riley as punishment for openly criticizing the BIG officiating last game ( he had a valid gripe) . You never know how egos and bias mix

Well he was only wide open because it's a trick play -- and Coach K called it at the right time when the USC D is really pressing.

It was the same play as 2-3 weeks ago where Singleton chips the end to fool the defense into thinking he's staying in to block.

I think they added a wrinkle this time -- 2 receivers lined up right and carried the coverage to the center and then Singleton sneaked out into the flat and no one on the D noticed him.

They're going to keep using this play until defenses figure it out. At some point someone is going to notice Singleton chipping and know it means something.

I think the 1994 D did this sort of thing quite a bit with Mike Archie. They'd have him in seemingly to block and then just sneak him into the flat, but by that time the defense was focused on other players. It was an important play against Michigan that year.

We have seen that the quick release passes are the obvious strategy against our pass rush. Also we seem to play zone which creates some short open areas. BG used this strategy well.

With Singleton, it looked like he might be favoring a possible high ankle sprain? He was blocking as he was in a wideout position and I swear he was barely standing on one of his legs trying to maintain a block

PSU got lucky in OT. Tracy definitely grabbled jersey. It wasn't horrible but it was enough to call. Miller definitely arrived early but announcers didn't mention that Carter was held by #79 on that play.

Ball was uncatchable on Tracy pass. If Tracy didn't touch him, he overruns the play or has to retreat and jump on the sideline. I think they almost called it, but Moss made a bad throw.

Miller was facing the play and fighting for position, but that's just my opinion. If he's facing the WR more, it's called.

The low block on Carter saved us before halftime. USC had 1st and goal but that penalty forced USC to accept a FG

Big time. I won't say insurmountable, but definitely makes the comeback harder. We still had to comeback 2x more after tying the game at 20. Excellent 2nd half by us.

CLUTCH! Big time players make big time plays. You can't double Warren when our other guys are making catches.

You forgot the dancing stat. U$C players were by far better at jumping together and dancing together on the sidelines when they were winning the game. Penn State players had no answer for that as far as dancing was concerned. But they did go out and win the game instead.

Reactions: shifix
My immediate concern is first half defense. There are games where it appears PSU has no clue what the opposition wants to do early in the games, resulting in big plays or points.
On the flip side, Allen’s halftime adjustments have been excellent and second-half defense has been very good.
Fixing those slow starts defensively would be my primary bye week goal. Probably easier said than done. Can’t count on playing from behind as the season gets late and the games get tough.

Reactions: RickinDayton
We had a gutsy, come from behind win, on the road, after being down 14 points. You, after watching that exciting game that put us in prime position to make a playoff run, made 8 comments. 7 out of the 8 comments were mostly negative in nature. Just an observation.

Fixing those slow starts defensively would be my primary bye week goal

At this point, it just seems to be who we are. Is it a flaw in Tom Allen's scheme? Or is it a deficiency in our roster? Is it just how we are this year? Is it a lag from losing Manny where we sent so many defenders that we had better stats, but they were more shared?

The adjustments have been huge.

The BD in BDGAN stands for Be Depressive.

It is hard to get sacks and even pressures when wholesale tackling of defensive lineman is permitted. And I am not saying that this didn't go both ways. It did go against both DL. But given PSUs defensive style and speed at the edge it is a serious detriment in college play. However, in the long run it is a benefit because it toughens up PSUs edge rushers on their way to the NFL.

USC had a good offensive gameplan, they were mostly running extremely quick-hitting passes on throws past the LOS to take advantage of Moss' extremely "quick-release" and avoid sacks. They also ran a lot of counters (such as the reverse for a TD) and delays (a lot of screens) - USC's average per attempt was only 6.5 yards, which isn't great, but it did help them avoid sacks and still have a "balanced offense" (USC had 409 Total Yards - 220 passing, 189 rushing). When they did go downfield and Moss needed more than 2 seconds to get it out of his hand, the USC OL just mugged the PSU defenders with no flags - they literally tackled Carter from behind on at least 3 different occasions.... take a look at USC's last TD play and focus on the USC LT - he grabs DDS's facemask right of the LOS and pushes it all the way up and back as DDS tries to get past him - not only "Hands To The Face", but beyond blatant Facemasking... no flag.

We had a gutsy, come from behind win, on the road, after being down 14 points. You, after watching that exciting game that put us in prime position to make a playoff run, made 8 comments. 7 out of the 8 comments were mostly negative in nature. Just an observation.

The famous Teddy Roosevelt comes to mind;

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

Some are doers.... and some are Eyore Losers.

Allar's 2nd INT wasn't bad ... and shouldn't have been an INT. He had Dinkins on a stop/comeback pattern, and Dinkins had inside position. The 2 other secondary players were behind the play at the time. Dinkins, instead of staying where he was, or even coming back to the ball to secure a 5 yard (or so) gain, hopped backward away from the ball, as if he was getting ready to bounce and turn upfield. You can't do that in traffic. He allowed the man covering him to cut in front and take it from him.

USC had a good offensive gameplan, they were mostly running extremely quick-hitting passes on throws past the LOS to take advantage of Moss' extremely "quick-release" and avoid sacks. They also ran a lot of counters (such as the reverse for a TD) and delays (a lot of screens) - USC's average per attempt was only 6.5 yards, which isn't great, but it did help them avoid sacks and still have a "balanced offense" (USC had 409 Total Yards - 220 passing, 189 rushing). When they did go downfield and Moss needed more than 2 seconds to get it out of his hand, the USC OL just mugged the PSU defenders with no flags - they literally tackled Carter from behind on at least 3 different occasions.... take a look at USC's last TD play and focus on the USC LT - he grabs DDS's facemask right of the LOS and pushes it all the way up and back as DDS tries to get past him - not only "Hands To The Face", but beyond blatant Facemasking... no flag.

IMHO, USC went to school on the BGSU tape - their QB had a very quick-release as well. If you have the right QB, you can make PSU's overly aggressive D pay - but you need a QB with real talent, and a very quick release. Honestly, I like our chances against duhO$U after that game - it's @TheBeav and duhO$U's QB is not anywhere close to the QB Moss is.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Allar's 2nd INT wasn't bad ... and shouldn't have been an INT. He had Dinkins on a stop/comeback pattern, and Dinkins had inside position. The 2 other secondary players were behind the play at the time. Dinkins, instead of staying where he was, or even coming back to the ball to secure a 5 yard (or so) gain, hopped backward away from the ball, as if he was getting ready to bounce and turn upfield. You can't do that in traffic. He allowed the man covering him to cut in front and take it from him.

Disagree completely, USC was playing zone, but they had 3 defenders within a yard of intended receiver.... and Drew telegraphed the throw from the moment he took the snap (never looked anywhere else but where he threw it and all 3 USC defenders immediately converged on the ball.).

IMHO, USC went to school on the BGSU tape - their QB had a very quick-release as well. If you have the right QB, you can make PSU's overly aggressive D pay - but you need a QB with real talent, and a very quick release. Honestly, I like our chances against duhO$U after that game - it's @TheBeav and duhO$U's QB is not anywhere close to the QB Moss is.
But, Howard (OSU's QB) is very quick and mobile. adept at escaping the pocket.

But, Howard (OSU's QB) is very quick and mobile. adept at escaping the pocket.

Howard was 28/35 for 326, 2 TDs, 0 INTs vs Oregon. He's definitely mobile, but they really haven't turned him loose as a runner. He was credited for 9 rushes, 13 yards (12 gained on the last play).

He definitely isn't a liability back there. He's had a great year so far. The final drive, he sacked himself, but recovered to get the offense moving. The OPI on Smith really killed them along with the lost time after the 12 men on the field penalty. Howard then ran about 2-3 seconds too long on the last play to even give the K a chance.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Howard was 28/35 for 326, 2 TDs, 0 INTs vs Oregon. He's definitely mobile, but they really haven't turned him loose as a runner. He was credited for 9 rushes, 13 yards (12 gained on the last play).

He definitely isn't a liability back there. He's had a great year so far. The final drive, he sacked himself, but recovered to get the offense moving. The OPI on Smith really killed them along with the lost time after the 12 men on the field penalty. Howard then ran about 2-3 seconds too long on the last play to even give the K a chance.
OSU has great skill position talent, but Oregon, IMO, is just as good and they actually play faster than OSU; they actually can match OSU point for point, which I don’t know whether PSU can.

You never know how the weather will affect the game at that time of year, and whether playing on a grass field might slow OSU down a little. Just based on what I saw last night, PSU will need several breaks to go their way to win that game if everything is even.

I am not that concerned about Allar's interceptions. As you say he played with movie and I would say with grit. The kind of grit under pressure we have yet to see until yesterday. He is growing up before our eyes.
He even mentioned in a post game interview something to the effect of playing loose and just being himself. The coaches and probably AK noticed he was being too stiff and over thinking things too much and have coached him up to be more of a free gunslinger. He had to be on that final drive, no choice.

Allar was super complimentary of Franklin in a post game interview. Seemed to get emotional. He loves him.

Disagree completely, USC was playing zone, but they had 3 defenders within a yard of intended receiver.... and Drew telegraphed the throw from the moment he took the snap (never looked anywhere else but where he threw it and all 3 USC defenders immediately converged on the ball.).
Except you're factually incorrect. Yes, USC was in zone. I'm looking at the play right now, actually. Have it freeze-framed at the point where Allar is letting go. There's a guy on Dinkin's outside shoulder, another 2 yard behind and 2 steps to Dinkin's left (#19, who was backpeddling and shuffling), and another 4 yards behind and 2 yards to Dinkin's right. The last guy was going with Warren who was attempting to clear out the area.

Drew's first look was to Drew's left ... he was looking at Clifford running a 3 yard out and Fleming running a 5 yard post. He was looking left ... and only left ... for a full second+.

Only then does he turn his head and look to the right, at which point he fires to Dinkins. And Dinkins DOES take a distinct hop backward as the ball is coming to him, allowing #7 to close in front.

The announcer even narrates the replay saying "looking left, comes back right ..." ... but you can clearly see Allar looking left after the snap and only turning to the right and firing, almost right away after that, after he surveyed the first 2 routes to the left and didn't like what he saw.

Even though he fired it into coverage, if Dinkins reacts properly, that's either a completion, or it falls harmlessly to the ground as an incompletion.

When they did go downfield and Moss needed more than 2 seconds to get it out of his hand, the USC OL just mugged the PSU defenders with no flags - they literally tackled Carter from behind on at least 3 different occasions.... take a look at USC's last TD play and focus on the USC LT - he grabs DDS's facemask right of the LOS and pushes it all the way up and back as DDS tries to get past him - not only "Hands To The Face", but beyond blatant Facemasking... no flag.

According to the CJFisJoePaIIOMeter, this makes it 3,475 uncalled penalties by PSU's opponents and 328 unfairly flagged PSU plays so far this season. Plus, zero times PSU committed a penalty and wasn't flagged for it.

Man, those refs have it out for us. Every weekend.

This year, USC largely feasts on zone ... quick, short passes and let their athletes eat. We mucked that up a bit by playing man-to-man and bringing pressure. So they countered by misdirections and screens, and letting their athletes eat that way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT