ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a quick roll call of the loss predictors..

Delcolion915

Mar 19, 2022
Mountaineer Paul
On3
ACC Network
SEC Network
2 ESPN talking heads
Finebaum
And more...

Not only did Penn State win, and cover(even Josh Pate said it was "treacherous"), but blew a very good West Virginia team off the field.

Looking forward to seeing the reactions, and of course "show ignored content" 😂

Mountaineer Paul
On3
ACC Network
SEC Network
2 ESPN talking heads
Finebaum
And more...

Not only did Penn State win, and cover(even Josh Pate said it was "treacherous"), but blew a very good West Virginia team off the field.

Looking forward to seeing the reactions, and of course "show ignored content" 😂
WVU is all McAfee hype nothing else
Everything I said about Greene and WVU was dead on--predicatably
This wasn't a very good team--they're not even an average team but we did exactly what we should do against a team like WVU
If you didn't use "ignore" you wouldn't we surprised.

The funny thing is that instead of focusing on all the real positives (Wallace may be a legit #1, Allar took a step forward, Singleton looked better than last year, the secondary played well, they handled the long delay great, etc) we're trying to make WVU a big win.

Half the Gameday crew (6), but Corso and Saban were solid PSU.
No Saban picked WVU because "I was going to pick Penn State but we sang Take You Home".
Herbie was Penn State and basically laughed at them. It was really Howard who hates us and McAfee hyping his team

Half the Gameday crew (6), but Corso and Saban were solid PSU.
No,.Saban predicted West Virginia. So did Meyer. So did Mush Mouf. So did Leinart. They're going to downplay it but I can't quite remember the last time Penn State blew out a good team on the road that was almost 60-40 predicted to be at them by the quote "experts".

Reactions: b&w1987
No,.Saban predicted West Virginia. So did Meyer. So did Mush Mouf. So did Leinart. They're going to downplay it but I can't quite remember the last time Penn State blew out a good team on the road that was almost 60-40 predicted to be at them by the quote "experts".
Lol this isn't a good team...stop the nonsense

Offensive line play was good.

WR better than expected.

DBs very good.
The running game struggled except for Singleton's two 40 yd runs. I'm not sure if that was on the OL or if WVa was stuffing things daring Allar to throw.

The running game struggled except for Singleton's two 40 yd runs. I'm not sure if that was on the OL or if WVa was stuffing things daring Allar to throw.
The play calling when Allen was in was predictable but did set up Beau's TD pass

Actually Wallace III was better than expected. Allar never targeted Fleming which is disappointing and only targeted Evans a few times. The other two have to be involved going forward otherwise the better teams will find a way to neutralize Wallace.
Other than Ohio State do we really play a good defense this year. Maybe Wisconsin or Washington will be solid. I cant see USC being good defensively.

Left three went WV, right three went PSU. Saban had been sitting on the right earlier and I thought he was still there. Manziel, Corso, and Herbstreit went PSU.

Desmond went WVU
Saban then went WVU even though he was going to pick Penn State originally
McAfee went WVU
Manziel said us
Corso said us
Herbie laughed at them and said us

This is the order they sat

I didn't know what to expect so I kept quiet and didn't bet the game either. Allar looked about as good as I've seen him and I'm happy overall. I was too busy and running around between delays to really sit and scrutinize everything, not that it would matter. Good win. Onward and upward. I enjoyed the sign that said "My Mom Hates Lee Corso."

Whole lots of people looking for negatives. I don't see it, sorry.
Blew out a good team on the road that was actually predicted to beat us by many.
Didn't have ANY go to receivers last year. Now we have ONE but everyone is complaining about how we don't have 3. Frankly we DO have three. Warren, Wallace and Evans.
Defense looked maybe even better than last year . WVU only scored 3 legit points. The other 9 came on two horrible blown and crooked calls with a crooked replay booth. Stopped their running game cold and the secondary looked elite Allar looked impressive and has cleared up his mental game also
Singleton looks like himself again.
O line looked solid.
Kotelnicki is clearly one of the best in the game, and Tom Allen might not be a great head coach but he is at least as good of a coordinator as Manny was.

We need a change at kicker though.

Blew out a good team on the road that was actually predicted to beat us by many.
Didn't have ANY go to receivers last year. Now we have ONE but everyone is complaining about how we don't have 3. Frankly we DO have three. Warren, Wallace and Evans.
Defense looked maybe even better than last year . WVU only scored 3 legit points. The other 9 came on two horrible blown and crooked calls with a crooked replay booth. Stopped their running game cold and the secondary looked elite Allar looked impressive and has cleared up his mental game also
O line looked solid.
Kotelnicki is clearly one of the best in the game, and Tom Allen might not be a great head coach but he is at least as good of a coordinator as Manny was.

Other than you trying to claim a bad team is good who is arguing? Lots of positives...

O line looked solid.

Definitely have a FG kicker concern.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Overall a very good performance. Allar has improved and looked more comfortable in the collapsing pocket, better decision making and like the field general we need him to be.

Three concerns....

1) Need to spread the ball out more with the wideouts. Wallace was great but others did not get a lot of targets. In fact only Evans with a few. The big pass to him was huge so don't want to discount his contribution(s). What about Fleming or Saunders?? Need more WRs to step up or at least be threats to get the ball to keep good defenses honest. I get we may not play a good defense until OSU but ultimately it can't be the Harrison Wallace show with a little Evans sprinkled in.
2) DDS seems quiet for his talent. He got the fumble recovery but did not notice him much. Maybe he did more than what I saw. Need him to be much more disruptive off the edge.
3) Kicker. That FG attempt looked like a slice into the woods.

2) DDS seems quiet for his talent. He got the fumble recovery but did not notice him much. Maybe he did more than what I saw. Need him to be much more disruptive off the edge.

As lazydave pointed out--he was disruptive enough that they moved their future NFL stud LT to RT to block him

DDS seems quiet for his talent. He got the fumble recovery but did not notice him much. Maybe he did more than what I saw. Need him to be much more disruptive off the edge

It does seem that way. He is just really good at playing his assignment. Most of the effective runs were away from him. Sacks are always flashy for a DE, but WVU didn't call any long developing passes. Greene was getting the ball out quick.

The numbers the defense held them to are incredible.

Donaldson 12/42 3.5 ypc
White 8/31 4.1 ypc
Greene rushing 10/5 - literally zero damage done with his legs
Greene passing 15/28 for 161 zero TDs.
The WR room we heard was better than ours did very little and had workmanlike stats. 40% of their yards came after we were up by 3 TDs.

And we tackled much worse than we are capable of. Imagine if we tackled 50% better. They had 246 yards total. That was their rushing average last year nearly (and likely will be this year as well).

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I’m not too worried about the wide receiver distribution. What did Penn State throw, 20 passes? A couple of them were throw away in the first half as well. When you only try 16 or so passes, you’re not gonna be able to spread it out to everybody.

Someone on this board really got on me when I said our DBs were a step up from last year's. The corners looked great and we have possibly the best safeties in the country.

Eh, it was nice to see it. Our depth at corner is what is crazy. We played, what, 6 guys?

Safeties are tough. Tackling machines.

WVU is all McAfee hype nothing else
Everything I said about Greene and WVU was dead on--predicatably
This wasn't a very good team--they're not even an average team but we did exactly what we should do against a team like WVU
If you didn't use "ignore" you wouldn't we surprised.
I disagree. WVU is a good team and will do damage in their conference. At some point have to recognize the true difference in this team vs LY,, and that’s the hiring of both Coordinator's. Defense will always be solid.. but the schemes and formations on the offensive side for PSU really put Allar in a position., to be successful. But to discount WVU is a mistake. Go Lions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT