ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a quick roll call of the loss predictors..

I disagree. WVU is a good team and will do damage in their conference. At some point have to recognize the true difference in this team vs LY,, and that’s the hiring of both Coordinator's. Defense will always be solid.. but the schemes and formations on the offensive side for PSU really put Allar in a position., to be successful. But to discount WVU is a mistake. Go Lions.
They aren't a good team. We all played this game last year. They'll beat some other average to subpar teams like last year and they're lucky the Big XII is weak. As a great to elite team we did exactly what we should do against a team like WVU. Admitting they aren't good doesn't minimize the great gameplan or execution today. We all saw Greene today. Allar was even better than him creating plays in the run game.

Urban Meyer.
Yep, that's the one that surprised me. Hard to believe Urban didn't have more respect for the overall roster talent of PSU, including Drew, as compared to WVU.

PSU and particularly Drew, never really let the crowd impact the game, and I also was expecting the home field to impact the game more. But after the delay, coming off the quick TD before the half, at least half the crowd didn't come back.

Reactions: royboy
The running game struggled except for Singleton's two 40 yd runs. I'm not sure if that was on the OL or if WVa was stuffing things daring Allar to throw.
No offense at all and I have seen this statement several times in the different threads, but I do not understand the logic in that statement. It’s like stating that “if you removed Babe Ruth’s 60 home runs he struggled in 1927.” Heck, if you take away Saquon’s long runs he was a below average PSU rb. Singleton is a home run hitter and it’s more important he hits more home runs than singles. We got a lot of singles last year when we needed a few hrs from our rbs.

No offense at all and I have seen this statement several times in the different threads, but I do not understand the logic in that statement. It’s like stating that “if you removed Babe Ruth’s 60 home runs he struggled in 1927.” Heck, if you take away Saquon’s long runs he was a below average PSU rb. Singleton is a home run hitter and it’s more important he hits more home runs than singles. We got a lot of singles last year when we needed a few hrs from our rbs.
Both backs have to consistently pick up yards though. The chunk plays were huge...2 long runs by Nick and the 20 yard score by Allen...but I think everyone including the backs and coaches want less runs of 2 or less. 3rd and long isn't good football

Reactions: NICNEM_PSU80
They aren't a good team. We all played this game last year. They'll beat some other average to subpar teams like last year and they're lucky the Big XII is weak. As a great to elite team we did exactly what we should do against a team like WVU. Admitting they aren't good doesn't minimize the great gameplan or execution today. We all saw Greene today. Allar was even better than him creating plays in the run game.
Will check back in as the season progresses on WVU.. but anyone who has ever been to a WVU Home Game.. especially with the hype and billing this game has had.. knows what a hornets nest Morgantown can be..our game plan was solid…first game AWAY in this atmosphere… ? Great job Lions.

The vaunted Buckeyes with their $20 million budget players.. was leading the mighty Akron at HOME 17-3 late in the third qtr… hmmm.

WVU could go through the season with only 1 loss this year…

Will check back in as the season progresses on WVU.. but anyone who has ever been to a WVU Home Game.. especially with the hype and billing this game has had.. knows what a hornets nest Morgantown can be..our game plan was solid…first game AWAY in this atmosphere… ? Great job Lions.

The vaunted Buckeyes with their $20 million budget players.. was leading the mighty Akron at HOME 17-3 late in the third qtr… hmmm.

Lol they aren't going 11-1. Stop the nonsense.
Yes it was a great game and outcome without you trying to make it into more than it was.
Ohio State struggled badly despite the score and if Howard doesn't play better we should beat them
But a tough atmosphere or not...WVU lacks talent on all levels and has an inaccurate, undersized QB.

Both backs have to consistently pick up yards though. The chunk plays were huge...2 long runs by Nick and the 20 yard score by Allen...but I think everyone including the backs and coaches want less runs of 2 or less. 3rd and long isn't good football
Nick averaged 8.8 yoc. It’s probably unrealistic to ask for more than that. I would agree with you on Allen, who stutter stepped his way to 2 ypc. We hit a lot of “hrs” in the Saquon / McSorely years (with many “strikeouts” of stuffed plays) and regardless of the k’s we were a feared offense and have not been at that level of performance since.

Nick averaged 8.8 yoc. It’s probably unrealistic to ask for more than that. I would agree with you on Allen, who stutter stepped his way to 2 ypc. We hit a lot of “hrs” in the Saquon / McSorely years (with many “strikeouts” of stuffed plays) and regardless of the k’s we were a feared offense and have not been at that level of performance since.
Factoring in the long runs. Singleton was too often stuffed. It has to improve and he'd tell you that
With Saquan it was entirely different. No one respected Trace and they did everything possible to stop him. We also weren't more successful because of all the negative and empty plays
You realize the goal is to contend for a title, yes?
Today was a good first step. Lots of room to improve

Lol they aren't going 11-1. Stop the nonsense.
Yes it was a great game and outcome without you trying to make it into more than it was.
Ohio State struggled badly despite the score and if Howard doesn't play better we should beat them
But a tough atmosphere or not...WVU lacks talent on all levels and has an inaccurate, undersized QB.
Again… will check in later as the season progresses. This PSU Team is better than you are ever going to give credit to…instead of acknowledging and appreciating what we all saw today.. your response as that WVU is no good..

That was as hostile environment as they will
play or frankly any team will play in given the circumstances.. and it’s a reason why many of the experts predicted an upset…

We just disagree. Again..Will check back in in a couple of weeks.

Whole lots of people looking for negatives. I don't see it, sorry.
Blew out a good team on the road that was actually predicted to beat us by many.
Didn't have ANY go to receivers last year. Now we have ONE but everyone is complaining about how we don't have 3. Frankly we DO have three. Warren, Wallace and Evans.
Defense looked maybe even better than last year . WVU only scored 3 legit points. The other 9 came on two horrible blown and crooked calls with a crooked replay booth. Stopped their running game cold and the secondary looked elite Allar looked impressive and has cleared up his mental game also
Singleton looks like himself again.
O line looked solid.
Kotelnicki is clearly one of the best in the game, and Tom Allen might not be a great head coach but he is at least as good of a coordinator as Manny was.

We need a change at kicker though.
Hard for me to make any overall comparisons on the coaches after one game. For my money I believe Diaz is as good of a DC as there is in college football. I'm looking forward to seeing Diaz give Duzzy some lessons!!

DE was deeper last season but DT is deeper this season.

Rojas looks like he could be very special as he corrects his few mistakes. He really missed a tackle on 4th?? down when all he had to do was wrap up some and push Green out of bounds instead of just touching him and fly by him.

Defense, particularly the DL was undisiplined. Just too many off sides and penalties. OL had at least one as I believe Donkoh moved. But the OL has 3 new starters and they seemed to do a great job of pass protection. Run blocking was pretty average but I believe WVU had xperienced DT's and their LB's are decent as well up the middle.

Some things to work on, but a nice start to the season.

Again… will check in later as the season progresses. This PSU Team is better than you are ever going to give credit to…instead of acknowledging and appreciating what we all saw today.. your response as that WVU is no good..

play or frankly any team will play in given the circumstances.. and it’s a reason why many of the experts predicted an upset…

What have a said negative about Penn State? Refusing to pretend WVU is something they aren't has nothing to do with us. We were impressive. I've praised the team a ton. Great gameplan. Great execution. Elite secondary. Found a #1 WR. Allar took huge strides. Singleton had much need splash plays. The list goes on
We dont disagree. You're wrong. WVU isn't a good team.

Factoring in the long runs. Singleton was too often stuffed. It has to improve and he'd tell you that
With Saquan it was entirely different. No one respected Trace and they did everything possible to stop him. We also weren't more successful because of all the negative and empty plays
You realize the goal is to contend for a title, yes?
Today was a good first step. Lots of room to improve
No Lando, I do not realize that a title is the goal. I had no idea. Thanks for the info.
Those teams were not more successful because we were still recovering from the sanctions and the defense was suspect. Combine that offense with 2023 or 2024 defense and we have another natty.

No Lando, I do not realize that a title is the goal. I had no idea. Thanks for the info.
Those teams were not more successful because we were still recovering from the sanctions and the defense was suspect. Combine that offense with 2023 or 2024 defense and we have another natty.
They weren't more successful for lots of reasons but there were way too many empty plays. And no even with our defense the last two years they aren't winning a title without a upgrade on the OL and at QB

What have a said negative about Penn State? Refusing to pretend WVU is something they aren't has nothing to do with us. We were impressive. I've praised the team a ton. Great gameplan. Great execution. Elite secondary. Found a #1 WR. Allar took huge strides. Singleton had much need splash plays. The list goes on
We dont disagree. You're wrong. WVU isn't a good team.
LOL..stating in your opinion that WVU is not a very good team.. discounts this win. Execution. Play calling etc. We won. Against a team that billed this game as their National Championship game. Again.. a number of the experts predicted an upset based on the environment , momentum of the program , talent etc WVU has…we just disagree. And that’s ok.

LOL..stating in your opinion that WVU is not a very good team.. discounts this win. Execution. Play calling etc. We won. Against a team that billed this game as their National Championship game. Again.. a number of the experts predicted an upset based on the environment , momentum of the program , talent etc WVU has…we just disagree. And that’s ok.
We don't disagree. You're wrong. Just like the analysts that listed to McAfee.

This insane belief this board has that you can only be impressive if the other team is good is the problem. We did exactly what we should have today. The talent gap between us and WVU is crazy. 3 years ago we might have lost but that tells you how far we've come as a program.

Allen showed you today what I've been saying for a year now. Garrett Greene is inaccurate and a very below average QB. Our entire gameplan was to try to force him to beat us throwing the ball which he can't do. Against anyone. The difference is "we are so good" that we could execute the plan while allowing our secondary to play a ton of man with no feat.

The inability to comprehend what we did today is what a great team does to a team as average as WVU indicates your bias is blinding you.

If WVU doesn't win 11 games we'll see if you admit you're wrong...that could happen in 2 weeks as their fans on this board have already said. One said they'll be about 7-5 but yeah 11-1 lol

Overall a very good performance. Allar has improved and looked more comfortable in the collapsing pocket, better decision making and like the field general we need him to be.

Three concerns....

1) Need to spread the ball out more with the wideouts. Wallace was great but others did not get a lot of targets. In fact only Evans with a few. The big pass to him was huge so don't want to discount his contribution(s). What about Fleming or Saunders?? Need more WRs to step up or at least be threats to get the ball to keep good defenses honest. I get we may not play a good defense until OSU but ultimately it can't be the Harrison Wallace show with a little Evans sprinkled in.
2) DDS seems quiet for his talent. He got the fumble recovery but did not notice him much. Maybe he did more than what I saw. Need him to be much more disruptive off the edge.
3) Kicker. That FG attempt looked like a slice into the woods.
He actually hooked it.

Agree...on all counts. Good win today against a good team in a tough environment.

But cut Lando some slack. He's very emotionally invested in the West-Virginia-sucks spiel as his 900 posts on the topic attest.

Agree...on all counts. Good win today against a good team in a tough environment.

But cut Lando some slack. He's very emotionally invested in the West-Virginia-sucks spiel as his 900 posts on the topic attest.
And I was right---did I get anything wrong about what would happen today? Anything about Greene, their "vaunted" secondary or their run game? Or maybe us losing?

Desmond went WVU
Saban then went WVU even though he was going to pick Penn State originally
McAfee went WVU
Manziel said us
Corso said us
Herbie laughed at them and said us

This is the order they sat
Desmond Howard is an F’ing idiot and you could get rich picking the opposite of what that moron picks - UM must have really lowered the bar for him to get into “The Harvard of the Midwest” lol

Here’s the logic: having a consistent ground game is critical in big game games. Need to give the D time off the field and stay fresh. It really helps burn the clock when you have a lead late in games. It wears down opposition Ds. Teams start to over play the run allowing long pass plays. And it demoralizes the hell out of teams.

See Michigan 2023. See Michigan 2022. See Illinois in the eight over time game.

Reactions: mhlarch and bison13
WVU is nor a BAD Team - give your stupidity a rest.
There's no stupidity involved here. Watch them. This is the same nonsense as last year. They won't beat anyone with a pulse this year
What we did was impressive today. The other team doesn't have to be good for you to get an impressive win. See Miami over Florida
Name one thing I was wrong about in what I said about WVU other than you just look at a record to determine if someone is good

Reactions: RickinDayton
Overall a very good performance. Allar has improved and looked more comfortable in the collapsing pocket, better decision making and like the field general we need him to be.

Three concerns....

1) Need to spread the ball out more with the wideouts. Wallace was great but others did not get a lot of targets. In fact only Evans with a few. The big pass to him was huge so don't want to discount his contribution(s). What about Fleming or Saunders?? Need more WRs to step up or at least be threats to get the ball to keep good defenses honest. I get we may not play a good defense until OSU but ultimately it can't be the Harrison Wallace show with a little Evans sprinkled in.
2) DDS seems quiet for his talent. He got the fumble recovery but did not notice him much. Maybe he did more than what I saw. Need him to be much more disruptive off the edge.
3) Kicker. That FG attempt looked like a slice into the woods.
I have said the same thing about spreading the ball around amongst WRs. Better defenses will take Wallace III away and then what if Allar hasn't worked to spread the ball around.
Agree on FG kicking. Not reliable and that can cost a game(s).
I think DDS primary task was to hold contan on the edge and prevent Greene from breaking free.

There's no stupidity involved here. Watch them. This is the same nonsense as last year. They won't beat anyone with a pulse this year
What we did was impressive today. The other team doesn't have to be good for you to get an impressive win. See Miami over Florida
Name one thing I was wrong about in what I said about WVU other than you just look at a record to determine if someone is good
I honestly thought WVU was better than they showed. PSU dominated them as you predicted.

PS played very, very well with a lot of participation that confirmed a team with quality depth. The officiating was HORRIBLE that in a close game could have had a large impact. Glad to see the back-up QB plying an important role.

Again, the STARTING kicker is having problems. This doesn't mean the KICKING is a problem. This means the kid they gave the job to FIRST, AGAIN, is having problems.

Last year they changed after halftime I the first game, and they were fine. There are 5 kickers on the roster. If the kid keeps snap hooking everything next week, there are at least two excellent kickers ready to step up.

Jesus you guys are acting like we are Juniata College or Lock Haven 😂 😂 😂. This is elite, big time football and when your starter can't do it you bench him and put in the next guy and fix it. Have a little faith.

It does seem that way. He is just really good at playing his assignment. Most of the effective runs were away from him. Sacks are always flashy for a DE, but WVU didn't call any long developing passes. Greene was getting the ball out quick.

The numbers the defense held them to are incredible.

Donaldson 12/42 3.5 ypc
White 8/31 4.1 ypc
Greene rushing 10/5 - literally zero damage done with his legs
Greene passing 15/28 for 161 zero TDs.
The WR room we heard was better than ours did very little and had workmanlike stats. 40% of their yards came after we were up by 3 aCTDs.

And we tackled much worse than we are capable of. Imagine if we tackled 50% better. They had 246 yards total. That was their rushing average last year nearly (and likely will be this year as well).
It was obvious our defense was more athletic, faster and simply more talented than their offense. To get their first half 6 points they needed a miracle grab that is probably made 2 or 3 out of 10. Then the other 3 points were gifted after a horrible spot and review by incompetent refs and replay officials.

The thing I am most pleased about is Allar's development in terms of maturity and decisions. He seemed very ready for the moment and that gives me confidence going forward. We will need to start spreading the ball out more among the WRs. Fleming is a mystery to me. I think he earned the #3 WR position last year at OSU with a loaded WR room. Yet at PSU he can't crack the starting lineup? We will see what happens with the WRs moving forward. I do know Wallace asserted himself as a dominant and legitimate #1 which is great.

As for DDS, I was not focused on him but I know he didn't have a bad game. Just waiting for a big breakout performance on par with his 5 star billing.

The kicker legitimately concerns me. We have to have a reliable kicker or this will bite us down the road. The kick he missed had absolutely no pressure, it was like a practice kick. Half full stadium, nothing on the line and he hooks it badly. To quote Franklin...."Gotta clean that up".

It was obvious our defense was more athletic, faster and simply more talented than their offense. To get their first half 6 points they needed a miracle grab that is probably made 2 or 3 out of 10. Then the other 3 points were gifted after a horrible spot and review by incompetent refs and replay officials.

The thing I am most pleased about is Allar's development in terms of maturity and decisions. He seemed very ready for the moment and that gives me confidence going forward. We will need to start spreading the ball out more among the WRs. Fleming is a mystery to me. I think he earned the #3 WR position last year at OSU with a loaded WR room. Yet at PSU he can't crack the starting lineup? We will see what happens with the WRs moving forward. I do know Wallace asserted himself as a dominant and legitimate #1 which is great.

As for DDS, I was not focused on him but I know he didn't have a bad game. Just waiting for a big breakout performance on par with his 5 star billing.

The kicker legitimately concerns me. We have to have a reliable kicker or this will bite us down the road. The kick he missed had absolutely no pressure, it was like a practice kick. Half full stadium, nothing on the line and he hooks it badly. To quote Franklin...."Gotta clean that up".
Not concerned at all about Fleming or pass distribution. Fleming started and he and Wallace ran nice combo routes of the first TD. Only 18 total passes, 2 were throw aways and a couple others where they were designed for the RB or TE. Tough to spread the ball out if #1 is open and you only throw a dozen passes

Yep. Four fumbles in the first half really hurt them. It looked like they wanted to attack us with some direct snap jet sweeps. After several fumbles, they abandoned that plan.

Reactions: baircub1! and Jerry
And I was right---did I get anything wrong about what would happen today? Anything about Greene, their "vaunted" secondary or their run game? Or maybe us losing?

You were right about how the game would play out, and I'm glad you were...but you were wrong...and still are...in making out West Virginia's supposed suckiness as the main factor governing the outcome. It's not that they're horrible. It's that we're apparently darn good. Some things to work on...but still good.

I, on the other hand, was right that the game posed an obvious challenge: opening the season on the road in that environment against a team that won 9 games last year and is hoping to at least match that record in 2024. I also said that we might win with room to spare but if that happened, it would be credit to us...not discredit to West Virginia.

No question, you were more confident than I, and your confidence proved to be justified. But experience shows that it's better to be under-confident and pleasantly surprised than over-confident and unpleasantly surprised.

You were right about how the game would play out, and I'm glad you were...but you were wrong...and still are...in making out West Virginia's supposed suckiness as the main factor governing the outcome. It's not that they're horrible. It's that we're apparently darn good. Some things to work on...but still good.

I, on the other hand, was right that the game posed an obvious challenge: opening the season on the road in that environment against a team that won 9 games last year and is hoping to at least match that record in 2024. I also said that we might win with room to spare but if that happened, it would be credit to us...not discredit to West Virginia.

No question, you were more confident than I, and your confidence proved to be justified. But experience shows that it's better to be under-confident and pleasantly surprised than over-confident and unpleasantly surprised.
I was confident because of how good we are along with WVU being a mid-level Big XII team.

I dont see the fun in setting expectations lower than they should be so you aren't disappointed.

What did you see from WVU yesterday that impressed you? It's an honest question. The hype around them never made sense. It was a one man hype machine that started his crusade last year.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

The poster is not only a posing-troll, he's a dipshit. He wants to eliminate Singleton's 2 best carries out of only 13 total carries and then calculate an average??? No statistician would do this as it clearly skews the average - if you're going to eliminate the two best carries, you also have to eliminate the two worst carries before calculating the average on the reduced pool to avoid skewing the stat and making it statistically invalid due to "cherry picking" of data to create the result you want (i.e., cherry picking the worst 11 of 13 carries rather than the middle 9 if you're going to normalize by eliminating two best and worst outliers). If you want to do it correctly, Singleton's normalized ypc eliminating two best and worst outliers was 4.0 ypc (36 yards on 9 carries). Hardly the picture dipshit is trying to paint - in fact, 8 of Singleton's 13 runs went for 4-or-more yards (5, 7, 4, 4, 40, 4, 40, 7). Somehow troll-boys bullshit about Singleton being stopped for 2-or-less yards on all his carries outside the two 40 yard carries is proven bullshit nonsense - go figure. The moron is such an obvious laughable troll.....

Last edited:
The poster is not only a posing-troll, he's a dipshit. He wants to eliminate Singleton's 2 best carries out of only 13 total carries and then calculate an average??? No statistician would do this as it clearly skews the average - if you're going to eliminate the two best carries, you also have to eliminate the two worst carries before calculating the average on the reduced pool to avoid skewing the stat and making it statistically invalid due to "cherry picking" of data to create the result you want (i.e., cherry picking the worst 11 of 13 carries rather than the middle 9 if you're going to normalize by eliminating two best and worst outliers). If you want to do it correctly, Singleton's normalized ypc eliminating two best and worst outliers was 4.0 ypc (36 yards on 9 carries). Hardly the picture dipshit is trying to paint - in fact, 8 of Singleton's 13 runs went for 4-or-more yards (5, 7, 4, 4, 40, 4, 40, 7). Somehow troll-boys bullshit about Singleton being stopped for 2-or-less yards on all his carries outside the two 40 yard carries - go figure. The moron is such an obvious laughable troll.....
You having me on ignore clearly means you don't know what I said lol

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT