ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Brands Rant

I’ll see your 4AA, and raise you 159 wins and a hearty chair toss.
The “If You Ain’t Full You’re Empty” school of thought! :)

Ricky-Bobby.jpg

Reactions: lookleft goright
From the great poet, Yeats:

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand . . ."

Sounds like it applies to contemporary America as well.

Pretty sure no one ever uttered...I hope when sh!t hits the fan I'm in a foxhole with Yeats.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure many folks would be happy to be in the same foxhole with brands and his ilk.

Reactions: Creek Side
Pretty sure no one ever uttered...I hope when sh!t hits the fan I'm in a foxhole with Yeats.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure many folks would be happy to be in the same foxhole with brands and his ilk.

I'd prefer to be with someone who doesn't lose his mind when things don't go his way. But maybe I'm different than most people.

I'd prefer to be with someone who doesn't lose his mind when things don't go his way. But maybe I'm different than most people.

Judging someone's lost mind is usually pretty subjective. So you may be different and so might be brands.

Doesn't change what I wrote. And sure doesnt change dmm constant nose in the air to people like brands.

Judging someone's lost mind is usually pretty subjective. So you may be different and so might be brands.

Doesn't change what I wrote. And sure doesnt change dmm constant nose in the air to people like brands.

I will leave you to the zealots in and squalor of the dank foxhole. Many of us prefer the clean air and clear light above ground. If you don't appreciate the insights of Yeats, I doubt you will find wisdom in the words of Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

As someone who has experienced this in real life, I'd want to be pretty far away from Tom Brands if and when bullets and RPGs start flying. I want calm, collected and controlled, not crazed.

Brands is a little bent in the head, but hey who isn't? Who the fuk is Yeats and whos he wrestling this week? 😉

She isn't wrestling anyone since she hung it up after the 2016 Olympics to focus on going to school and playing rugby.

Dorothy Yeats (born 29 July 1993)[2] is a Canadian wrestler and Commonwealth Games champion. She won gold at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. She also wrestled at Vanier College in Montreal, where she is on the school's Wall of Fame. She once said about Vanier College, "I never even considered going anywhere else. I’m glad I came here. I don’t think I could have excelled at my sport anywhere else."

Daughter of five-time Olympian Doug Yeats, who won gold at the 1979 Pan American Games,[1] Dorothy participated at the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics in Singapore. She won the gold medal in the girls' freestyle 70 kg event, defeating Jinju Moon of South Korea in the final. In 2012, she faced Adeline Gray of USA in the gold medal match at the world championship. Although she was defeated, the 19-year-old walked away with a silver medal. She in also the 2012 and 2013 Junior World Champion at 67 kg.[3]

In July 2016, she was officially named to Canada's 2016 Olympic team.[4][5]

Lol.

Lol.

In that Bio picture you linked he's wearing a National Championship ring on his left hand but it still doesn't say who he wrestled for. ;):)

I’m just loving that we’re talking about my favorite poem here. What a hoot. Does it apply to Tom Brands? Prolly not. But the 2nd Coming is as clear a picture as we can hope for of the ever repeating human social collapse.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I’m just loving that we’re talking about my favorite poem here. What a hoot. Does it apply to Tom Brands? Prolly not. But the 2nd Coming is as clear a picture as we can hope for of the ever repeating human social collapse.

Thanks for reminding me. A song keeps popping into my head "Here we go again" although the tune is from the white snake song of "here "I" go again." All we can do is watch it unfold and prepare.

Took a bit, but the date of the photo is March 1, 1920. I cannot make out the ring, but Yeats did lecture at Notre Dame on two occasions.

Reactions: Dogwelder
... the words of Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire is such a mansplainer. Johnny Cochran said it first: “my lies you admit, atrocities you commit.” :)

Reactions: danoftw
He doesn't drink. I've been to the Iowa Camps. He'll serve you beer at the coaches social, hang out and tell stories. No drinking though.

Yeah, I think I remember from interviews that both Brandses have been tea-totalers since High School.

As someone who has experienced this in real life, I'd want to be pretty far away from Tom Brands if and when bullets and RPGs start flying. I want calm, collected and controlled, not crazed.
I really dont think brands mat side antics are representative of his off mat demeanor or how he would act under the situation we are bringing up.

Could be wrong but I've talked to many people who have been around him/them and it sounds like the mat/competition creates a bit of a crazy train. Gable seems to have been the same way and TnT are all about gable.

TNT I would like to belive would be fearless leaders in the trench, logical planners and devoted to their fellow fighters. That's how I see their coaching but with a little hamster dance mixed in for fun. I would even go so far as to say brands gives an impression of putting others before himself and that I think would be great under the circumstances.

While I didnt have your experiences, the closest I came was standing next to my best friend at the time and having him shot in the head. Its was very wild from start to finish and probably not appropriate discussion for a wrestling message board. From that experience, the "brands types" in the room were all pretty even and all these years later I still think handled themselves pretty well for a bunch of kids.

The kids from the other side of tracks, well in my opinion didnt and made things worse during the event and in trying to clean up the aftermath. I think while all were teenagers at the time those with wild streaks actually performed the best and kept the group calmer. That goes for afterwards all these years later. People remember the leaders vs the bed wetters.

It's not RPGs and hellfire but it was and I hope it will be the closest I ever come to that.

I would still take brands over yeats, voltaire and dmm any day with life and death on the line. I dont know dmm from adam but I have friends that i think he probably closer associates with than me and they are great people. I'm just not calling them if it would hit the fan. Nothing wrong with that, all these different people help to make the world a pretty cool place.

Enough said probably. Thank you for your service and the dialogue you are bringing to the board.

#eatitturk

So Cael Sanderson's lack of personality automatically labels him as Calm(threw a chair), cool(debatable) and collected(agree) & also the guy to march next to in war??

Tom Brands gives firey, charismatic interviews where he tells in like it is and he is labeled as a poor man to March next to in war? Do you think Him and Terry are going to jump up and down and scream at the Japs(or whomever the enemies are) "HEY, SHOOT THIS WAY, WE ARE OVER HERE ON THE RUBBER MAT BY THE BRIDGE THAT LEADS US TO VICTORY!!" Nope, they would sneak up on the enemy before they knew what hit them! Quickly taking them out. I for one, would proudly March behind those "little elfs" into war any day.

Except tonight. Tonight I'm watching football.

My neighbor who has never wrestled revealed to me that Gary Kasparov would probably be a great wrestler. He’d be three moves ahead of Cael Sanderson for sure. He would sacrifice the single leg to John Smith, and then Smith would be skewered on his back not knowing what hit him. Mighty Mouse might give Kasparov a run for his money, but get real, Mighty Mouse is just a cartoon! 🤪

BTW, my imaginary neighbor is eight years old. :)

Last edited:
That's your takeaway? To me, he comes across as a bit stupid.

PS - That's not how you spell "fiery".
I honestly doubt you even watched his interview. It's the same thing every year with you. We get it you don't like Tom Brands. What's new? He has way more upstairs than you will ever come close to admitting. There is a lot more to the man than his mat side manner and interviews on the internet. Introduce yourself and ask him something about the history of wrestling . He would love to talk with you.

Have you ever seen me call a coach "stupid" on here? I said Cael lacks some personality in same way Willie Saylor has too much of it. (Willard just needs to sit down and shut up a bit. He reminds me of the nerdy guy desperately trying to fit in so he tells bad jokes and never stops talking) I wish Cael was more "fiery" but that's my wrestling talk preference for him. We all like it differently and that's ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but I get the impression he's referring to Iowa State.

When he says "we have a policy that we can't wrestle anyone outside the Big Ten until the national Tournament, so how are we ducking people?"

To me that eliminates any propaganda coming from within the conference. He is just frustrated with the Big Ten dragging their feet which he thinks leaves Iowa open to criticism from ninnies in other conferences ... JMHO.
It’s cause the damn Big Ten is a mess again, like football. He can’t wrestle Iowa State and Ok State. Hell, Bog 12 can wrestle anyone. Cyclones even wrestled D3 Wartburg to get a match. Iowa can’t wrestle Northern Iowa either. Nothing to do with Penn State. Just like football, Iowa couldn’t play in state rival, Iowa State ( who had a good year).
Big Ten doing the same crap in baseball also.

Reactions: Ski
It’s cause the damn Big Ten is a mess again, like football. He can’t wrestle Iowa State and Ok State. Hell, Bog 12 can wrestle anyone. Cyclones even wrestled D3 Wartburg to get a match. Iowa can’t wrestle Northern Iowa either. Nothing to do with Penn State. Just like football, Iowa couldn’t play in state rival, Iowa State ( who had a good year).
Big Ten doing the same crap in baseball also.
What is interesting is the B1G did not do it for basketball. Maryland played D2 Wingate yesterday to get a game. If you wanted to seriously cut down on travel expenses, allow B1G members to play schools in their own state at a minimum. If all the participants test negative the few days prior to the event, why shouldn't they be allowed to compete against each other?

What is interesting is the B1G did not do it for basketball. Maryland played D2 Wingate yesterday to get a game. If you wanted to seriously cut down on travel expenses, allow B1G members to play schools in their own state at a minimum. If all the participants test negative the few days prior to the event, why shouldn't they be allowed to compete against each other?
comparing ncaa wrestling with basketball and football is fruitless

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
comparing ncaa wrestling with basketball and football is fruitless
Did you see the part from the Iowa guy about the B1G doing the same thing for baseball? Even with wrestling, if all the participants test negative, why should it matter if Aaron Brooks is wrestling someone from a B1G school or UPenn, Lock Haven, etc? The risk is still the same.

Did you see the part from the Iowa guy about the B1G doing the same thing for baseball? Even with wrestling, if all the participants test negative, why should it matter if Aaron Brooks is wrestling someone from a B1G school or UPenn, Lock Haven, etc? The risk is still the same.
nope. I'm just referring to the golden rule - 'follow the money'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT