ADVERTISEMENT

U17/U20 Nationals 4/24-28 in Las Vegas

Very excited for U20’s. Just about every wrestler involved with the Gophers future is registered. I think it’ll be a bright one.

I hope we see Nelson vs Mirasola again. They know each other well.

Edited to say actually I think Nelson knows the Mirasola that’s now at 97kg well, not the one now at 92kg. But at this point, who the hell knows which is which.

Last edited:
So I just saw registration lists. These brackets are massive! So many kids. If I can find time I’ll do a brief rundown of the U20 weights. Does anyone know if Mesenbrink is still eligible? I assume Levi is but he’s not registered. Mainly high school kids but I few good college guys mixed in. I can’t wait. I love this tournament

Link to who is registered so far

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

Is this for the spot or just a bye to the finals at a later date? Not sure if the format changes this year.

So I’ll start my preview at 57kg. These weights are so deep I could probably list 25 guys. Here are some of the best registered

Luke Lilledahl-PSU commit. #1 overall recruit for 2024. #1 p4p on Flo. Super 32 champ. U17 silver and gold. 2023 U20 silver

Jax Forrest-#2 p4p on Flo. PA state champ. Super 32 champ. 2022 U17 world silver. 4th at the 2024 57kg Olympic trials

Anthony Knox-Cornell commit. Fargo champ. 2X super 32 champ. 3X NJ state champ. #4 recruit in 2025

Nate Desmond-PSU commit. #18 in class of 2025. #2 at 120lbs on Flo. 2X PA state champ. 1X prep champ. Super 32 runner-up

Leo DeLuca-Iowa commit. 2021 and 2023 Fargo champ. #26 p4p on Flo. #6 recruit in 2025. #3 at 120 lbs on Flo

Seth Mendoza-Mizzou commit. 2021 Fargo champ. 3X IL state champ. Placed 4, 2, and 5 at Super 32. #3 at 126 on Flo. #24 recruit in 2025

Ayden Smith-Rutgers commit. 2X PA state champ. #2 at 113 on Flo

Alan Koehler-Freshman at Nebraska. 3X MN state champ. 6X Fargo AA. 2X pan-am champ

Kael Lauridsen-Nebraska commit but spent the past year at the EAP in CO. 4X Nebraska state champ. Multiple time Fargo champ

Spencer Moore-redshirt sophomore at North Carolina. Started at 125lbs this year. 2X Kentucky state champ. U17 world team member

I’m picking a final of Jax vs Lilledahl. I really have no idea who to pick. I’ll be a homer and pick Lilledahl but I feel like these guys are as close as humanly possible. Wrestle 10 times and they go 5-5. Pretty sure they have split up to this point with each winning twice. Knox is obviously dangerous and Mendoza is a really good freestyler. Desmond seems to be improving at a good rate seeing as how he had lost to DeLuca multiple times but beat him solidly at preps. Not sure if any of the college guys can beat this group of amazing youngsters but Spencer Moore did make the U17 world team a few years back

Last edited:
Davis will win 61kg. That weight is one of the only not super stacked weights. He will be a man amongst boys.

What weight will Kasak be if he enters 65 or 70. I could see him fitting in either

Davis is registered @ 61
Barr @ 86

No Mesenbrink(too old?), but he does get the U23 spot since he placed top 3 at OTTs
Appreciate you jrod! I don't think he placed Top 3 at OTTs technically because I think JB got True 3rd by default since he had H2H over Mesenbrink already.

Very excited for U20’s. Just about every wrestler involved with the Gophers future is registered. I think it’ll be a bright one.

I hope we see Nelson vs Mirasola again. They know each other well.

Edited to say actually I think Nelson knows the Mirasola that’s now at 97kg well, not the one now at 92kg. But at this point, who the hell knows which is which.
@poorwrestler - Good pick up by you guys in Whiting out o’ the portal. Anything else cooking? I’ve seen some rumors flying on Intermat.

I'm just amazed that Lilledahl and the twins just competed at a senior-level ass-kicking contest, and less than a week later will fly cross-country to compete in this ass-kicking contest.
... and some on the internet wonder why a full scholarship offer isn't as important to some of these kids as selecting the right place to hone their skills. In some cases the family has already invested a hefty sum into their kid's future. Why would they cut corners at a crucial moment just to save a few dollars. The argument that full scholly trumps partial scholly never made sense. The equation has a lot more variables than that.

... and some on the internet wonder why a full scholarship offer isn't as important to some of these kids as selecting the right place to hone their skills. In some cases the family has already invested a hefty sum into their kid's future. Why would they cut corners at a crucial moment just to save a few dollars. The argument that full scholly trumps partial scholly never made sense. The equation has a lot more variables than that.
I'm jumping in late and this was probably said weeks ago, but there was a discussion about PSU wrestling on the howard stern show right after nationals. Sterns wife's brother was TE under Paterno and was on the show talking briefly about college sports, NIL, etc. He started to talk about PSU wrestling and how great they are. He said, that PSU has only 2 full ride scholarships currently on the PSU team. I don't know if this is true, how he got the information or if he just made it up out of thin air but was an interesting point. Was happy for the team to get some praise from the dark corners of the air waves.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
He said, that PSU has only 2 full ride scholarships currently on the PSU team. I don't know if this is true, how he got the information or if he just made it up out of thin air but was an interesting point.
It's plausible. Carter and Aaron were the only returning national champs at the start of the year, so only they would get full rides.

PSU under Cael has treated scholarships as what you've earned today, and future scholarship levels as an incentive. So scholarships have often been lower than what people generally think.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT