ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA cleared to join the B1G

One of the speculation posts I stumbled on said Texas joining finally convinces Notre Dame to join along with Florida State & Miami and Washington & Oregon. Rumors/speculation of course, but Wow that would be fun.
FSU and Miami are literally impossible with the ACC Grant of Rights. I do not believe any legal expert has found a way to break it.

FSU and Miami are literally impossible with the ACC Grant of Rights. I do not believe any legal expert has found a way to break it.
Well there’s one way to break it… pay an enormous amount of money to the ACC to get back those TV rights. Now that amount of money would be so high as to not make a conference change worthwhile at this time but would get smaller the fewer years lest in the term of the GOR.

That’s one of the interesting things about Texas/Oklahoma trying to go to the SEC early - they’d have to buy out the last year of their Big 12 GOR so it would be interesting to see how much the conference would need to get to give up a year’s worth of games’ TV rights.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Nothing is "literally impossible" when it comes to expansion
Well, give a realistic scenario over the next 12 months with an outcome that breaks the legal agreement itself or offers enough new revenue in a different conference for a single school to absorb the extreme exit fee or gives any benefit to espn to discontinue its current relatively cheap acc partnership with the danger that member schools go to the B1G and by extension Fox. I would love to poach the ACC but highly doubt any scenario happens. I do think that the ACC would be highly vulnerable without the GOR and would not exist today. In fantasy land I would love an eastern B1G pod with VA, UNC, and Clemson or a Florida school.

Reactions: doctornick
Now that they have the LA TV market, the next step is to grab Georgia Tech for Atlanta and then a northeast school for Boston. Maybe Boston College but they don't quite fit the profile but then neither does Northwestern.

If I'm not mistaken just adding those markets into Big 10 country adds huge dollars for the big 10 network cable rates. Big bucks.

PS. Time to drop the stupid 10 from the conference name. Go with just Big or maybe Big Country. Heck, Coast to Coast conference works for me.

That isn't true. I knowing a VA Delegate and having close contact with a few lawyers in Fairfax, it is very clear that the Grant of Rights will not withstand a court challenge regarding either Virginia or Virginia Tech. The legislature did not approve the Grant of Rights and they alone have the ability to sign off on such a deal. The same logic very likely applies to the Carolina public schools and Florida State as well. The private schools and other state or state affiliated universities are another matter but how many losses could they take before the agreement comes undone.

Now that they have the LA TV market, the next step is to grab Georgia Tech for Atlanta and then a northeast school for Boston. Maybe Boston College but they don't quite fit the profile but then neither does Northwestern.

If I'm not mistaken just adding those markets into Big 10 country adds huge dollars for the big 10 network cable rates. Big bucks.

PS. Time to drop the stupid 10 from the conference name. Go with just Big or maybe Big Country. Heck, Coast to Coast conference works for me.
Big Ten is a brand--it's absolutely fine

That isn't true. I knowing a VA Delegate and having close contact with a few lawyers in Fairfax, it is very clear that the Grant of Rights will not withstand a court challenge regarding either Virginia or Virginia Tech. The legislature did not approve the Grant of Rights and they alone have the ability to sign off on such a deal. The same logic very likely applies to the Carolina public schools and Florida State as well. The private schools and other state or state affiliated universities are another matter but how many losses could they take before the agreement comes undone.
That is an interesting approach but likely the legislature appointed the leader who signed the agreement. I would like to see a legal opinion of the school’s vulnerability on that fact. Virginia is an important domino to fall, but UNC and FSU are more important.

I would put more money on Stanford no longer having a football team in 5 years over being in the big ten. Their coach just quit, their admission standards make it tough to get great football players in, they just lost 15 players to the portal and they refuse to use the portal to backfill, their graduate school doesn’t play well with the football program, and they have zero plans right now for NIL. They are on pace to possibly be one of the worst college football teams in the country.

Rutgers is voting for immediate access for Stanford to the Big Ten as we speak.
Wow, I wasn’t aware their coach resigned.
I’ll have to Google.
Thanks, Thomas

Screw that. Time to welcome the new members with more than money. The PAC 8 was a "brand" too.
Pac 8 was never the same "brand" as the Big Ten as you know. Who cares what it's called as a long we get the money. No sane individual cares about the name of the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT