ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Frat/Covid testing/Cancel in-person after 1 week

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
UNC just pulled the plug on in-person undergraduate courses starting Wednesday. Not necessarily unexpected, but wow what a mess. In related news, remote learning with a Chapel Hill first grader on day one was chaotic to be charitable.

UNC just pulled the plug on in-person undergraduate courses starting Wednesday. Not necessarily unexpected, but wow what a mess. In related news, remote learning with a Chapel Hill first grader on day one was chaotic to be charitable.
Now let's watch what the ACC does.

Reactions: BBrown and TheGLOV
Hey Brew, 5th and 7th went smoothly today. Thankfully not on the state platform just Google.

I think I read somewhere they only planned to need to quarantine a max of 150 students at a time. Think Penn State, Ohio State and some other large schools are planning on being able to quarantine several hundred students at a time.

Reactions: psu00
I think I read somewhere they only planned to need to quarantine a max of 150 students at a time. Think Penn State, Ohio State and some other large schools are planning on being able to quarantine several hundred students at a time.
Important to note that UNC-Chapel Hill has just under 20,000 undergraduates. Penn State-University Park has 40,000.

I am hearing that so far on campus at PSU, students have been doing their part. Off campus, I have no idea. Students are starting to move into the dorms this week. Unless students have renewed leases, off campus apartment slum lords are not letting new leases move in until this weekend. The supermarkets did't appear to be overwhelmed with students and families on Sunday like normal move in week. I am feeling optimistic...

Reactions: step.eng69
I am hearing that so far on campus at PSU, students have been doing their part. Off campus, I have no idea. Students are starting to move into the dorms this week. Unless students have renewed leases, off campus apartment slum lords are not letting new leases move in until this weekend. The supermarkets did't appear to be overwhelmed with students and families on Sunday like normal move in week. I am feeling optimistic...

Move in off campus are mostly this week as classes don't start until the 24th, next Monday. Plus the slum lords generally got together and are staggering move in days and have some pretty strict protocols to move in. You basically pull up to the front of the building, they have a large roller bin their for you that you load all your stuff from your car into, and then you pull away. I saw some this weekend and it was really regimented.

Reactions: TheBigUglies
I’m hearing that chapel hill has been burned down to the ground.
That’s my neighbors with their pitchforks and torches. Picture the owners of name your favorite State College restaurants telling the university to clean up their act. That’s what happened here. The university ran out of beds, dorms and hotels to use at the same time. Clusterf.

Just taught my first in-person undergraduate class since February. Class is half the size (half meets on Tuesdays and half on Thursdays) and in a bigger room for social distancing. Everyone is required to, and did, wear masks. While not normal, campus looks and feels pretty active. One positive due to hybrid and online courses is the availability of parking.

While activities on-campus seem to be pretty well managed, off-campus is a completely different animal, and I know several parties that were broken up by the police over the weekend. Tons of students and barely any masks. This is where the problems will arise.

As an aside, our Faculty Senate voted 13-12 last week not to include a residential component for this semester...approximately two weeks after the dorms opened (due to a number of logistical and other reasons). Since faculty has no say in this, I think it was mostly a CYA vote.

this is a good article (taken from a news report on All Things Considered) from NPR about the situation at UNC, and the bigger question about college in-person classes this fall. CLICK HERE

Reactions: step.eng69
UNC students outraged after quick shift to virtual learning

As University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill students scrambled on Tuesday to move out of their dorm rooms, make decisions about their academic futures and demand tuition refunds, they had one message for administrators.

We told you so.

“Everybody told the university not to reopen, and it was only a matter of time,” said Nikhil Rao, a student government senior adviser who has participated in online meetings with provost Bob Blouin every month since April along with other student leaders. “I would be shocked if I didn’t know this was going to happen.”

The university, which disregarded concerns from faculty members, staff workers, Black student leaders, student campus leaders and local county health officials to become one of the largest campuses in the country to reopen for students amid the coronavirus pandemic, announced Monday that it was shifting to fully remote learning after reporting 135 new COVID-19 cases and four clusters.

All of this after one week of classes.

Now faced with both a literal and figurative “clusterf---” — which is how the college newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, described the situation in an editorial headline — many students told NBC News that the university’s attempt to scramble together an “off-ramp” plan have left them feeling outraged and disrespected.

“Why did we wait until everybody’s lives were in jeopardy?” Rao said. “They put us all in danger.”

more: https://news.yahoo.com/unc-students-outraged-quick-shift-231144410.html

$$$. The same thing is going to happen at every university. The kids eat ass of strangers they find at closing time at The Gaff, you think they are going to use common sense with sanitizer and hand washing?
common sense has never been common

As University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill students scrambled on Tuesday to move out of their dorm rooms, make decisions about their academic futures and demand tuition refunds, they had one message for administrators.

We told you so.

“Everybody told the university not to reopen, and it was only a matter of time,” said Nikhil Rao, a student government senior adviser who has participated in online meetings with provost Bob Blouin every month since April along with other student leaders. “I would be shocked if I didn’t know this was going to happen.”

The university, which disregarded concerns from faculty members, staff workers, Black student leaders, student campus leaders and local county health officials to become one of the largest campuses in the country to reopen for students amid the coronavirus pandemic, announced Monday that it was shifting to fully remote learning after reporting 135 new COVID-19 cases and four clusters.

All of this after one week of classes.

Now faced with both a literal and figurative “clusterf---” — which is how the college newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, described the situation in an editorial headline — many students told NBC News that the university’s attempt to scramble together an “off-ramp” plan have left them feeling outraged and disrespected.

“Why did we wait until everybody’s lives were in jeopardy?” Rao said. “They put us all in danger.”

more: https://news.yahoo.com/unc-students-outraged-quick-shift-231144410.html
Black student leaders??? Ummm ok.

No worries, they quickly announced that they will still play football and Mack Brown said the players are now safer without those pesky students around.

Were there any of those students hospitalized? Even a few? Just one? It's all fear mongering.

"Safetyism" is the word Jon Haidt uses, although that was pre-covid and more about safe spaces, etc. Jon Haidt is right on the mark on a lot of our social issues. He is a moral psychologist and it interesting to read or listen to.

"Safetyism" is the word Jon Haidt uses, although that was pre-covid and more about safe spaces, etc. Jon Haidt is right on the mark on a lot of our social issues. He is a moral psychologist and it interesting to read or listen to.

The authors define safetyism as a culture or belief system in which safety (which includes "emotional safety") has become a sacred value, which means that people become unwilling to make trade-offs demanded by other practical and moral concerns.

Reactions: royboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT