ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Frat/Covid testing/Cancel in-person after 1 week

Were there any of those students hospitalized? Even a few? Just one? It's all fear mongering.
You know I’m more of an open thing’s up guy, but that’s really a stupid comment. Come back in about 10 to 14 days or so and say it again. The Laws of probability and simple statistics will prove you wrong. And I really hate being right about this.

As University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill students scrambled on Tuesday to move out of their dorm rooms, make decisions about their academic futures and demand tuition refunds, they had one message for administrators.

We told you so.

“Everybody told the university not to reopen, and it was only a matter of time,” said Nikhil Rao, a student government senior adviser who has participated in online meetings with provost Bob Blouin every month since April along with other student leaders. “I would be shocked if I didn’t know this was going to happen.”

The university, which disregarded concerns from faculty members, staff workers, Black student leaders, student campus leaders and local county health officials to become one of the largest campuses in the country to reopen for students amid the coronavirus pandemic, announced Monday that it was shifting to fully remote learning after reporting 135 new COVID-19 cases and four clusters.

All of this after one week of classes.

Now faced with both a literal and figurative “clusterf---” — which is how the college newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, described the situation in an editorial headline — many students told NBC News that the university’s attempt to scramble together an “off-ramp” plan have left them feeling outraged and disrespected.

“Why did we wait until everybody’s lives were in jeopardy?” Rao said. “They put us all in danger.”

more: https://news.yahoo.com/unc-students-outraged-quick-shift-231144410.html

What? No fake classes at UNC jokes? I came here for the jokes!:confused:

As University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill students scrambled on Tuesday to move out of their dorm rooms, make decisions about their academic futures and demand tuition refunds, they had one message for administrators.

We told you so.

“Everybody told the university not to reopen, and it was only a matter of time,” said Nikhil Rao, a student government senior adviser who has participated in online meetings with provost Bob Blouin every month since April along with other student leaders. “I would be shocked if I didn’t know this was going to happen.”

The university, which disregarded concerns from faculty members, staff workers, Black student leaders, student campus leaders and local county health officials to become one of the largest campuses in the country to reopen for students amid the coronavirus pandemic, announced Monday that it was shifting to fully remote learning after reporting 135 new COVID-19 cases and four clusters.

All of this after one week of classes.

Now faced with both a literal and figurative “clusterf---” — which is how the college newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, described the situation in an editorial headline — many students told NBC News that the university’s attempt to scramble together an “off-ramp” plan have left them feeling outraged and disrespected.

“Why did we wait until everybody’s lives were in jeopardy?” Rao said. “They put us all in danger.”

more: https://news.yahoo.com/unc-students-outraged-quick-shift-231144410.html

Did I miss where they talked about the football team?

Why? What’s wrong with that?

Personally I do not have any issue with it, except why just "black student leaders". As if their voice is more important than "asian student leaders", "leaders of students from India"..... Did they include leaders from ALL ethnic groups?? Anyone who has been on a college campus the last 10 years will tell you, there are probably more Asian students and more students from India than any other ethnic groups.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Personally I do not have any issue with it, except why just "black student leaders". As if their voice is more important than "asian student leaders", "leaders of students from India"..... Did they include leaders from ALL ethnic groups?? Anyone who has been on a college campus the last 10 years will tell you, there are probably more Asian students and more students from India than any other ethnic groups.

IDK do they have and Asian Student Union?
I would guess they do but maybe then didnt voice their opinions?

You know I’m more of an open thing’s up guy, but that’s really a stupid comment. Come back in about 10 to 14 days or so and say it again. The Laws of probability and simple statistics will prove you wrong. And I really hate being right about this.

Just repeating what I heard on radio. Yesterday driving home I listened to a show hosted by Mark Packer (son of Billy Packer of college basketball fame). I've heard Mark Packer before. He tends to be pretty knowledgeable and not a "hype & scream" type. Anyhow, Mark Packer was saying that per CDC statistics, from the start of C-19 thru stats gathered thru Aug. 8th, the mortality rate of C-19 of the age group 15-22 was 0.005%. Meaning, that if a 15-22 year old person caught C-19 they had a 99.995% chance of surviving. I am not taking it as gospel, but I will accept what Mark Packer said to be correct. I'll assume that he did not go on the air and repeat those statistics unless they were researched and he had the data. But if I had a 99.995% chance of ANYTHING, I'd take my chances.

IDK do they have and Asian Student Union?
I would guess they do but maybe then didnt voice their opinions?

But were they represented. Yes, there are Asian student unions. Absolutely 100% agree. There are Asian Student Unions at every school. But the point is were they represented at this meeting. The article specifically listed out who was represented in this meeting.
Here is the quote from the article:
The university, which disregarded concerns from faculty members, staff workers, Black student leaders, student campus leaders and local county health officials

I do not see Asian Student Union listed.

Just repeating what I heard on radio. Yesterday driving home I listened to a show hosted by Mark Packer (son of Billy Packer of college basketball fame). I've heard Mark Packer before. He tends to be pretty knowledgeable and not a "hype & scream" type. Anyhow, Mark Packer was saying that per CDC statistics, from the start of C-19 thru stats gathered thru Aug. 8th, the mortality rate of C-19 of the age group 15-22 was 0.005%. Meaning, that if a 15-22 year old person caught C-19 they had a 99.995% chance of surviving. I am not taking it as gospel, but I will accept what Mark Packer said to be correct. I'll assume that he did not go on the air and repeat those statistics unless they were researched and he had the data. But if I had a 99.995% chance of ANYTHING, I'd take my chances.
Hmmm. His response was to ParkAvenueSoccer yet you answered it as if he commented on your post. That's strange. :rolleyes: Is it that hard to log out and switch handles?

But were they represented. Yes, there are Asian student unions. Absolutely 100% agree. There are Asian Student Unions at every school. But the point is were they represented at this meeting. The article specifically listed out who was represented in this meeting.
The university, which disregarded concerns from faculty members, staff workers, Black student leaders, student campus leaders and local county health officials

yea I know I read the article too. Like I said maybe they didnt offer up an opinion.

Yea. This has been obvious a long time. That is why fear mongers are now quoting anecdotal stories about long term lung damage. That and a single case in Indiana.

LdN

Reactions: Ski
I’m not questioning you’re or anyone else’s statistics regarding death rates. I called out a moronic comment that no one is sick and it’s all a conspiracy which a 150,000 plus deaths tend to refute. And once again for those not paying attention I generally favor opening things up and allowing life to continue with reasonable precautions.

There aren't a preponderance of Asian varsity athletes at most schools. In addition, how many young Asians were rioting over the Summer ?

Last edited:
$$$. The same thing is going to happen at every university. The kids eat ass of strangers they find at closing time at The Gaff, you think they are going to use common sense with sanitizer and hand washing?
giphy.gif

Reactions: RGWhirly
Trying to determine who are the bigger wusses, unc for quitting a week in or msu for quitting two weeks out.

Last edited:
There aren't a preponderance of Asian varsity athletes at most schools. In addition, how many young Asians rioting over the Summer ?

This had nothing to do with ATHLETES. UNC stopped in-person classes for the STUDENT BODY.

Please stop with this bs and ask lowlife Packer to stop next time you talk to him.

The students at UNC decided to do their annual three days of parties upon their return. The town's population, many of whom are older, said enough. At the same time, UNC ran out of facilities and had to resort to renting rooms at hotels further inflaming the town-school relationship. My neighbors were angry and frankly their mortality rate is the key statistic here and the reason for the school ending in person classes.

Would you and Mr. Packer prefer to have a thousand Chapel Hill residents hospitalized? Or dead? What's the proper number? Kids transmit to adults, many of whom are vulnerable to Covid. Why is this simple concept not understood?

Please stop with this bs and ask lowlife Packer to stop next time you talk to him.

The students at UNC decided to do their annual three days of parties upon their return. The town's population, many of whom are older, said enough. At the same time, UNC ran out of facilities and had to resort to renting rooms at hotels further inflaming the town-school relationship. My neighbors were angry and frankly their mortality rate is the key statistic here and the reason for the school ending in person classes.

Would you and Mr. Packer prefer to have a thousand Chapel Hill residents hospitalized? Or dead? What's the proper number? Kids transmit to adults, many of whom are vulnerable to Covid. Why is this simple concept not understood?

So if you have a problem with Packer's stats you have a problem with Packer & the CDC .... not me. I stated that they were stats that HE stated using the CDC. And I also stated clearly that I was trusting him to be honest.

Maybe your neighbors are smarter than Packer. I don;t know, I never meant either. It sounds like you personally have a ton of admiration for the knowledge of your neighbors. They sound incredible.

Hmmm. His response was to ParkAvenueSoccer yet you answered it as if he commented on your post. That's strange. :rolleyes: Is it that hard to log out and switch handles?

Do not even know what you mean about switching handles. You can have more than 1 log in. What are all yours?

So if you have a problem with Packer's stats you have a problem with Packer & the CDC .... not me. I stated that they were stats that HE stated. And I also stated clearly that I was trusting him to be honest.

Maybe your neighbors are smarter than Packer. I don;t know, I never meant either. It sounds like you personally have a ton of admiration for the knowledge of your neighbors. They sound incredible.

The kids were creating a health threat for our residents. Doesn't get any less complicated than that.

And yes I know Packer. We all know him here in Chapel Hill. I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Now let's watch what the ACC does.

Is anyone surprised by this? Put 30,000 teenagers together with a disease that at least at this time manifests itself for 99.5% of them as a bad cold and tell them to wear masks stay out of bars and don't party. If our university Presidents really thought that they are dumber than I think which is pretty dumb.
Now regarding football. To me this validates continuing football not cancelling it.
Actually the safest thing would be to continue football and make the general population stay home and do online. Unfortunately not a great look and looks exploitive, but it would be the safest for the athletes. [look what happened when Oklahoma sent their kids home for a break]

Hmm. I don't know. Old people who moved near college are afraid they might get sick so college must shut down. Strange times we live in.

Hmm. I don't know. Old people who moved near college are afraid they might get sick so college must shut down. Strange times we live in.

Old people who built the town and the university include those 55 Years old and over. Very few people move in btw. The university and the students screwed up.

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
Is anyone surprised by this? Put 30,000 teenagers together with a disease that at least at this time manifests itself for 99.5% of them as a bad cold and tell them to wear masks stay out of bars and don't party. If our university Presidents really thought that they are dumber than I think which is pretty dumb.
Now regarding football. To me this validates continuing football not cancelling it.
Actually the safest thing would be to continue football and make the general population stay home and do online. Unfortunately not a great look and looks exploitive, but it would be the safest for the athletes. [look what happened when Oklahoma sent their kids home for a break]

I have two kids at two other schools. No issues so far. It can be done without an immediate 1k patient hit to the local Healthcare system.

Goal posts continue to get moved whether national, state, local or school level. Maddening.

Reactions: psualt
Ole Miss reports....(athletes who tested positive are all part of same team; may or may not be football):

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT