ADVERTISEMENT

Update from Ryan Bagwell

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Preview from last night:
RT @Bagwell4Trustee: Tomorrow I'll be in Philadelphia for @philly_dasofc v. Bagwell, fending off a rather bizarre challenge to a RTKL request.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: Also tomorrow, we're conferencing with a judge in Bagwell v. @Philly_DAsOfc. The office is trying to quash subpoenas for @DASethWilliams, Frank Fina, and other @Philly_DAsOfc employees.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: After a year and a half of filings, a trial is finally imminent.

And then Ryan's updates from court today:

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: The only person questioned was the City of Phila. IT guy, who manages the DA's email server. He will search for emails and we will reconvene on Tuesday, unfortunately.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: Yesterday, at literally the 11th hour, the DA reversed course and decided to release a bunch of information.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: However, at the same time, they are trying to prevent us from introducing that information at trial. They are very nervous.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: We have yet to see that information, so I am not sure what it contains. But they are fighting soooo hard to keep it from the court.

Can someone summarize this case and what Ryan is after. I do not remember this one

Bagwell filed a freedom of information request with the Philly DA's office to get correspondence between Frank Fina and Louis Freeh (and his people). Seth Williams has been stalling.

Why would Seth Williams and the Philly DAs office care about communication between Fina and Freeh? It's not like it iinvolved any of the Philly DAs cases at all. It's totally separate from anything Philly related...........unless they are afraid that communication may hurt Fina. But if everything with Freeh was on the up and up as he claims that wouldn't be an issue right? Paging the Patriot News/ Pennlive and the Philly Inquirer-.......do your jobs! ;)

One would have to be naive to think that even during the "investigation" that people in the AD were not telling the Paterno Family about the type of questions that were being asked. In addition the kind of information that Pepper Hamilton of Merck didn't have any interest in hearing. Also, one should not dismiss the conjecture that several of these individuals now work for Wick. I submit to you that The Paterno Family has enough information to blow the lid off PSU, but currently at least, under court orders cannot share it publicly. Just one guys opinion.

Why would Seth Williams and the Philly DAs office care about communication between Fina and Freeh? It's not like it iinvolved any of the Philly DAs cases at all. It's totally separate from anything Philly related...........unless they are afraid that communication may hurt Fina. But if everything with Freeh was on the up and up as he claims that wouldn't be an issue right? Paging the Patriot News/ Pennlive and the Philly Inquirer-.......do your jobs! ;)

For the same reason Seth did not fire Fina. He is running scared

Reactions: ChiTownLion
One would have to be naive to think that even during the "investigation" that people in the AD were not telling the Paterno Family about the type of questions that were being asked. In addition the kind of information that Pepper Hamilton of Merck didn't have any interest in hearing. Also, one should not dismiss the conjecture that several of these individuals now work for Wick. I submit to you that The Paterno Family has enough information to blow the lid off PSU, but currently at least, under court orders cannot share it publicly. Just one guys opinion.
I suspect, hope AND PRAY that you are correct.

For the same reason Seth did not fire Fina. He is running scared

I don't know about running scared but they are clearly trying to hide something. I mean, why would the Philadelphia District attorney's office even care about that request? It did not involve Philadelphia DA cases (or anything Philly related) in any way. Since Fina claims he and Freeh's communications were above reproach- then why fight this request?

Fina and the Philly DAs office have argued themselves into a box with no logical explanation. Everything was above reproach......yet we are going to fight tooth and nail to make sure it never sees the light of day for the public to see.

You would think 1 reporter in all of Pennsylvania would say 'wait a minute....' and start asking the tough questions rather then just ignoring it or parroting any DA press release.

Someone ask Seth why the Philly DA office would even care (much less actively object) to a request that has nothing to do with their office cases.

Reactions: jjsocrates
I thought Seth said that his office had no correspondence between Fina & Freeh, so there was nothing to turn over. I still don't quite get what this is about.

^This

Did Seth really say that?

I don't remember what the latest version is. At one point Seth was denying there was any such correspondence. At another point in time the argument was that such correspondence was not subject to PA's right-to-know law.

Reactions: step.eng69
I thought Seth said that his office had no correspondence between Fina & Freeh, so there was nothing to turn over. I still don't quite get what this is about.
  • Seth Williams said his office (Philly DA) didn't prosecute the Sandusky case, so Ryan should redirect his RTK request to the office that did (OAG).
  • Ryan countered, saying he wanted all emails exchanged between Frank Fina, Judge Feudale and/or investigators of Louis Freeh after Seth hired Fina.
  • Seth said "we have no knowledge of their existence," and pretty much ignored Ryan's RTK request from there.
Note: Judge Feudale is the one who signed off on the inflammatory Grand Jury Presentment despite McQueary's email to the OAG in 2010 that stated, "I cannot say 1,000 percent sure that it was sodomy."

Anyway, here's a twitter exchange that kind of captures what Ryan's up against. Best if you click on <this link> to view the full conversation.

Last edited:
I don't remember what the latest version is. At one point Seth was denying there was any such correspondence. At another point in time the argument was that such correspondence was not subject to PA's right-to-know law.

So did Seth just say this on Twitter (bad enough) or did he tell a judge they knew of no communication between Fina and Freeh (at the DA office) and is now trying to fight from turning it over?

Last edited:
So did Seth just say this on Twitter (bad enough) or did he tell a judge they knew of no communication between Fina and Freeh (at the DA office) and is now trying to fight from turning it over?

I honestly can't remember. Maybe Ryan has all the filings posted at his website. If you want to know, the surest route is to contact Ryan directly.

Preview from last night:
RT @Bagwell4Trustee: Tomorrow I'll be in Philadelphia for @philly_dasofc v. Bagwell, fending off a rather bizarre challenge to a RTKL request.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: Also tomorrow, we're conferencing with a judge in Bagwell v. @Philly_DAsOfc. The office is trying to quash subpoenas for @DASethWilliams, Frank Fina, and other @Philly_DAsOfc employees.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: After a year and a half of filings, a trial is finally imminent.

And then Ryan's updates from court today:

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: The only person questioned was the City of Phila. IT guy, who manages the DA's email server. He will search for emails and we will reconvene on Tuesday, unfortunately.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: Yesterday, at literally the 11th hour, the DA reversed course and decided to release a bunch of information.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: However, at the same time, they are trying to prevent us from introducing that information at trial. They are very nervous.

RT @Bagwell4Trustee: We have yet to see that information, so I am not sure what it contains. But they are fighting soooo hard to keep it from the court.
GIVE THOSE LYING FOCKERS HELL, RYAN!

Doubt the veracity of your statements! Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT