ADVERTISEMENT

Updated: Where were stand with Recruits 7/21

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Update: So we got Brown and Toney!! Not a whole lot of movement on the chart, as I already had Nixon, Hamlin, and Hansford on Commit Watch (more on them in a second). I moved Fuller back up to very good chance, but I really doubt we land him (OSU bound), but he did say he wants to take an official visit here. I think the staff is now recruiting Hudson as a S and we sit well with him, but I am unsure how it will work out for him scholarship wise. I think he is safe unless all 7 of the guys in front of him on this list committed tomorrow, but that’s not going to happen. It seems Niang has eliminated us, not surprising. Nixon may end his recruitment in the next 10-14 days for the good guys (or to the rest of the world the bad guys). Hansford will take more time since he wasn’t ready to pull the trigger this past weekend and has said he wants to see west coast schools. A commitment from Ferns and others could affect him.

By now I’m sure everyone has seen or heard of the infamous #DaPride16 group shot that included all committed prospects at the Bash (minus Menet) and a very uncommitted Damar Hamlin. My take on this is that he has told guys in this class that Penn State is in the lead and is likely to end up there but wants to take time enjoy the process and be sure. Here was his tweet on the issue (he is also now following Tyler Shoop on Twitter). This also could be what Simmons meant when he said this at the Opening (below).

Hamlin, Pryts, and Fuller will all be at OSU’s Friday Night Lights event this weekend. We will see what happens there. Buckeyes insiders have Pryts on commit watch and it wouldn’t surprise me. Scholarship wise I still say the staff sees this as 24-26 rather than 21-23. We would take commitments from Nixon, Hamlin, Ferns, Dioubate, Fuller, and probably Chavis no matter what. Hansford and Hudson are good to go as long as we aren’t already at 24 before they make their decision, which I doubt. We would make room for and will continue to try to recruit, no matter what, Betiku and Gary also, even if we were already at 26. How will we make room for all these guys… I don’t know, but for $4 million a year I’d be glad to give it a shot. A lot will depend on timing.

Lastly, I want to say that I do feel bad for certain kids that either blow up late in the process or are just a tad below the group of guys we are really targeting that love PSU and won’t get an offer. Valentin probably would commit on the spot if he got an offer and I saw many other tweets from kids in 2017 that are ranked say 15 or below in PA next year that are unlikely to ever get offers that said how much they really enjoyed themselves at the Lasch Bash or that they love PSU. A good problem to have and I wish any kid who wishes he could have worn Blue and White a great college career.

Commit Watch:
4* WR Nixon, 4* CB Hamlin, 4/3* OLB Hansford

Very Good Chance:
4* LB Ferns, 4* DL Dioubate, 4* DE Betiku, 4* ATH Fuller, 3* S Hudson, JC DT Chavis

In The Battle:
4* WR Diggs, 4* S Pryts, 4/3* G Valentin, 3* WR Patterson, 3* OT Adams

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* WR Smothers, 4* TE Farrell, JC DT Tanielu

Have To Get Really Lucky:
4* OT Williams, 4* OG Davis, 4* TE Upshur, 4* WR Corley, 3* OT Niang, 3* CB Rene, 3* DT Kamara, 3* DT Wheeler

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none; including no longer recruiting).

Last edited:
And now this...
How does a kicker follow up a professionally produced commitment video that included a private plane? By coming up with a mash-up name for himself and the punter....

PS. I know someone on another site came up with this a while ago, but I'm hoping Nordin doesn't.

The Quake mashup is great :D

Also, I could be wrong but was Zembiec also missing from the DaPride photo? I don't remember seeing much of him, maybe he wasn't at the bash?

Reactions: bmw199
The Quake mashup is great :D

Also, I could be wrong but was Zembiec also missing from the DaPride photo? I don't remember seeing much of him, maybe he wasn't at the bash?
Right, he was missing too. I don't think he was there though.

Last edited:
I don't see Tanielu or Wheeler as on the list at all. Something happened to make Wheeler's CB's all point away from us and it was likely his window closed. I don't think Tanielu ever had a window.

If you search around you will find info on a Safety, White (forgot his 1st name) from Laccawana College that got an offer over the weekend. Any offers that go out now are serious and I believe represent mutual interest, especially so with the fact it was given out on campus.

From what I have read Niang could be removed from the list and we are still in it for Kamara, more so than "have to get lucky".

Are we really in current battle for Diggs? i.e. are we in his parred down list? If not he should be in the need for luck category.

Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none; including no longer recruiting).

I don't see Tanielu or Wheeler as on the list at all. Something happened to make Wheeler's CB's all point away from us and it was likely his window closed. I don't think Tanielu ever had a window.

If you search around you will find info on a Safety, White (forgot his 1st name) from Laccawana College that got an offer over the weekend. Any offers that go out now are serious and I believe represent mutual interest, especially so with the fact it was given out on campus.

From what I have read Niang could be removed from the list and we are still in it for Kamara, more so than "have to get lucky".

Are we really in current battle for Diggs? i.e. are we in his parred down list? If not he should be in the need for luck category.
I said Have to get really lucky is the same as no longer recruiting. Diggs is an enigma. He's probably going to Alabama, he could be moved down but it's likely he won't decide for a little. He's already pushed back his decision date once. I wouldn't be shocked if he visited Penn State again, but he's not coming here.

White is currently committed to WVU. I understand there may be interest but I don't think he flips. And I certainly wouldn't prioritize him over other targets at the position.

Robert Hainsey (2017 OT from Gateway) is transferring to IMG academy. Might still get him but certainly not good news for us I think

Robert Hainsey (2017 OT from Gateway) is transferring to IMG academy. Might still get him but certainly not good news for us I think
Yea, I was thinking of doing my first 2017 tomorrow or Thursday and was going to include that. Figure he had to be talking to them for a little while now and could be why he didn't commit this weekend. Only small positive is that Josh Kaindoh is also going there and he has said PSU is his favorite also, so maybe if they're together it won't be too bad.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
If there are any "needs" I would like Ferns (need another inside LB) and Chavis (can play next year). Beyond that all other gets are based on talent :)
Just my "opinion".

It appears Chavis was not at the Lasch Bash. It was said that he intended to come prior to all of the DTs committing a few weeks ago. It is not known if that was a factor in him not coming or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT