ADVERTISEMENT

Urbs on Singleton

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
Said today that Singleton looks like he still has his power, speed and elusiveness but blamed our running issues on the O-Line. He said Singleton averages getting hit after one yard, compared to Blake Cotum after three yards. A lot or some of this is lousy playcalling but also our O-Line was overrated coming into the season.

Reactions: WJM21 and aworsnup
Said today that Singleton looks like he still has his power, speed and elusiveness but blamed our running issues on the O-Line. He said Singleton averages getting hit after one yard, compared to Blake Cotum after three yards. A lot or some of this is lousy playcalling but also our O-Line was overrated coming into the season.

That would make sense if Allen wasn't out playing Singleton

That would make sense if Allen wasn't out playing Singleton
Well that's the point, is it all Singleton or our O-Line and it's not like Allen is having a phenomenal year. Also, they are different backs with different skill sets so you could say the playcalling has helped Allen more. Urbs knows football so this is not some uninformed fan saying this.

Reactions: royboy and aworsnup
Well that's the point, is it all Singleton or our O-Line and it's not like Allen is having a phenomenal year. Also, they are different backs with different skill sets so you could say the playcalling has helped Allen more. Urbs knows football so this is not some uninformed fan saying this.

Have you seen Allen's numbers?

Urbs needs to concentrate on lap dance perfection.

Reactions: Lion84
It’s the OL as usual. When will this program get a good OL? Incredible after ten years that Franklin can’t figure it out…. TRAUTWEIN is not the answer at coach. Get me a grizzly ole ball coach in there.

Yeah and essentially the same as Singleton's. Allen - 105 carries, 482 yards, 4.6 avg. Singleton - 113 carries, 460 yards, 4.1 avg. My point is our O-Line has underperformed and that has hurt Singleton.
Your coaching staff has gone off the rails came up with the brilliant idea to delay your speedback against eight man fronts.

If only wasting talent was a virtue...

Last edited:
Hopefully for Michigan we'll ditch some of the mesh point crap and run some straight handoffs and pitches. No one respects Drew as a runner.

I still think we telegraph our tendencies and the D knows what is coming. Is it formations, motion, OL tipping it or sign stealing? Idk. I definitely think our pass routes are 100% diagnosed. DBs always seem to be on the inside of our WR cuts leading to "lack of separation".

Well you're not watching then.

Singleton busts some long runs, but Allen has been the guy getting the tough yards.

Considering Singleton was our number one guy, and he's underperforming Allen, it's an issue.
Overblowing it. You make it sound like Allen is way ahead Singleton and he is not. Look at the data. Singleton has been a bit of a disappointment but you are making it out to be a situation where Allen is having a Heisman year and Singleton has been horrible as in 2 yards per carry horrible.

Overblowing it. You make it sound like Allen is way ahead Singleton and he is not. Look at the data. Singleton has been a bit of a disappointment but you are making it out to be a situation where Allen is having a Heisman year and Singleton has been horrible as in 2 yards per carry horrible.

Lol

All that was said was Allen is "outplaying" Singleton which I think (hope) everyone acknowledges
It doesn't mean he's the more talented back--just that he's more consistent and productive.

I mean, compare our #1 (I guess Nick) to Treveyon Henderson or Corum/Edwards, and the difference is vast. Nick this yr is disappointing, bottom line. His contact balance and vision is atrocious.

I mean, compare our #1 (I guess Nick) to Treveyon Henderson or Corum/Edwards, and the difference is vast. Nick this yr is disappointing, bottom line. His contact balance and vision is atrocious.

Balance and vision, couldn't agree more.

Yeah Henderson is a beast, much better than both Singleton and Allen. I agree Singleton has not been as good as last year. But our O-Line needs to take some blame. I am also not giving Allen a free pass.

If Henderson played against us, the game is not as close because they would have scored more and our offense of course did nothing.

Reactions: scrivener
All that was said was Allen is "outplaying" Singleton which I think (hope) everyone acknowledges
It doesn't mean he's the more talented back--just that he's more consistent and productive.

If they don't acknowledge it after today, they are blind.

LdN

Both RBs need to play but Allen has earned more of the snaps. Although some people would like to see Singleton shipped to Lock Haven. LOL.

Stop the madness. Allen is not outplaying Singleton.

The issue is Yurcich and his misuse of Singleton’s talent. It‘s as if Yurcich has never heard of the pitch toss or the sweep. Remember Singleton’s initial explosive run against Auburn last year? It was on the edge where Nick beat the opposing DB.

Singleton is not and has never been a RB who is effective plunging through the middle of the line using raw power and brute strength. That is not his strength. Singleton is most effective and very dangerous when he is in space (perimeter side of the field). Running Singleton on those predictable delayed hand-offs up the middle is a waste. Yurcich is misusing the guy.

I tend to agree but right now Allen is our main horse. They certainly have different skill sets. Yurcich is not doing Singleton any favors but he also is not showing the explosiveness of last year when he does have some room. But some people on this thread are ridiculously negative about Singleton like they never want him to see the field.

What has struck me over the last couple of weeks is how much better Henderson of OSU is than both Singleton or Allen. I thought our guys were closer in talent to him but not the case.

I tend to agree but right now Allen is our main horse. They certainly have different skill sets. Yurcich is not doing Singleton any favors but he also is not showing the explosiveness of last year when he does have some room. But some people on this thread are ridiculously negative about Singleton like they never want him to see the field.

What has struck me over the last couple of weeks is how much better Henderson of OSU is than both Singleton or Allen. I thought our guys were closer in talent to him but not the case.
Horse Hockey. Henderson is inferior to both our backs.

I mean who do you think is the better back vs. Michigan. Its Allen and its not close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT