ADVERTISEMENT

Urbs on Singleton

If it's 3rd and 1 and we need a first down, you're right. I don't want Singleton to see the field.

I also don't want us throwing a fade.

LdN
It sounds like he does nothing right according to you and you never want him on the field as a RB.

Said today that Singleton looks like he still has his power, speed and elusiveness but blamed our running issues on the O-Line. He said Singleton averages getting hit after one yard, compared to Blake Cotum after three yards. A lot or some of this is lousy playcalling but also our O-Line was overrated coming into the season.

I worry about the kid. He should be kicking ass........

I tend to agree but right now Allen is our main horse. They certainly have different skill sets. Yurcich is not doing Singleton any favors but he also is not showing the explosiveness of last year when he does have some room. But some people on this thread are ridiculously negative about Singleton like they never want him to see the field.

What has struck me over the last couple of weeks is how much better Henderson of OSU is than both Singleton or Allen. I thought our guys were closer in talent to him but not the case.
Watch video of Purdue through Utah. Singleton had multiple big runs up the middle.

The issue is the offense is completely different. Been discussed many times.

My take is that Allen is outplaying Singleton. Everyone with a brain would agree.

Singleton has been indecisive, has lacked burst and isn't breaking tackles.

LdN
You have no solutions except to just play Allen. That's not the answer. Yes, give Allen snaps, of course. But the coaches need to help Singleton by leveraging his strengths more. This does not all fall on Singleton like he suddenly is no good.

The style of play and the specific plays called favor Allen, but I don’t know if I’d say he’s clearly a better player. He’s certainly being put into a better position to succeed though and playing better.

Why they don’t run outside more with Singleton I don’t understand. Also Nick is the better pass catcher of the two.

Singleton is still averaging 100 yards a game returning, receiving and rushing not bad for a down year. He needs to touch the ball at least 15 to 20 time a game though.

Last edited:
Well you're not watching then.

Singleton busts some long runs, but Allen has been the guy getting the tough yards.

Considering Singleton was our number one guy, and he's underperforming Allen, it's an issue.
How many receiving and return yards does Allen have? I'll wait.

How many receiving and return yards does Allen have? I'll wait.
What does his return yards have to do with him getting playing time at RB?
The point being made here is that right now Allen is clearly the top back and the playing time should reflect that.
There's lot of factors but Singleton isn't blameless here for his lack of success.

Rutgers had "232 yards" rushing yesterday against OSU and manhandled them in the first half until Henderson got his legs, and a costly turnover occurred. Yet, the Buckeyes only had 139 yards rushing vs Rutgers. Rutgers OL was opening gapping holes in the run game. When Rutgers OL can run block better than us, we are in trouble. But, its been going on for years.

The only positive note is Corum only had 44 yards rushing against Purdue yesterday, and UM run game doesn't appear to be as effective as last year.

People can quit with the taco jokes, Singleton is playing on one leg. You can see it in the long KO return yesterday -- there's actually a limp in his gait. Yeah, 75% speed for Singleton is still pretty good speed. But he's not physically what he was last year.

It's this stupid Franklin policy of providing zero info about injuries. He could simply level with people about what Singleton's dealing with and then all the speculation could stop.

Obviously he's playing so they're not worried about re-injury. But Singleton simply does not have his top end speed. By the way he runs, it looks like a sore hammy, which can take a whole season (and sometimes longer) to heal.

We might see Singleton healthy by the bowl game. If not, next year.....

Reactions: blair10 and 81b&w
People can quit with the taco jokes, Singleton is playing on one leg. You can see it in the long KO return yesterday -- there's actually a limp in his gait. Yeah, 75% speed for Singleton is still pretty good speed. But he's not physically what he was last year.

It's this stupid Franklin policy of providing zero info about injuries. He could simply level with people about what Singleton's dealing with and then all the speculation could stop.

Obviously he's playing so they're not worried about re-injury. But Singleton simply does not have his top end speed. By the way he runs, it looks like a sore hammy, which can take a whole season (and sometimes longer) to heal.

Ok...I mean this is all assuming...but u could be right. So, even at 75%, he can't get to the 2nd or 3rd level on a few carries this year, like at all? He needs improvement in contact balance and vision, that is evident. Kaytron doesn't go down on first contact...where as if u breathe on Nick, he is on the turf.

Ok...I mean this is all assuming...but u could be right. So, even at 75%, he can't get to the 2nd or 3rd level on a few carries this year, like at all? He needs improvement in contact balance and vision, that is evident. Kaytron doesn't go down on first contact...where as if u breathe on Nick, he is on the turf.
Just remember last year. Nick was a totally different back last year. Yes had more top-end speed than Kaytron but as the season developed Singleton was getting better and better at running inside.

Not taking anything away from Allen who is wonderful. He is a real football player and you can see he inspires the whole offense. Maybe my favorite play yesterday was when he took the handoff at the 10, got hit immediately and (with the help of the rest of the offense) just pushed the Maryland defense 12 yards into the end zone. And they could have pushed them another 20 yards if they needed to. That's a team of football players playing against a team of track athletes.

Rutgers had "232 yards" rushing yesterday against OSU and manhandled them in the first half until Henderson got his legs, and a costly turnover occurred. Yet, the Buckeyes only had 139 yards rushing vs Rutgers. Rutgers OL was opening gapping holes in the run game. When Rutgers OL can run block better than us, we are in trouble. But, its been going on for years.

The only positive note is Corum only had 44 yards rushing against Purdue yesterday, and UM run game doesn't appear to be as effective as last year.
yet clearly osu is #1

yet clearly osu is #1

UGA gave up 200+ rushing to Auburn who is probably worse at QB than Rutgers and played like dog for 2 quarters against South Carolina before eeking out a win.

OSU had better wins at the initial ranking. UGA has the opportunity to match them next week (they beat Mizzou yesterday, play 1 loss Ole Miss this coming weekend), but Notre Dame and Penn State are better name brands and that might be enough to hold off UGA.

Our run blocking problems have been going on for years, not just one or two games. ESPN has been bringing up our OL blocking, specifically, lack thereof for 3-4 years.

Troutwein (sp) better find lightning in the bottle this week or we are toast on Sat.

Did anyone watch Washington last night vs USC? Talk about a physical OL!!! And, that 3 star RB, Johnson who transferred from Miss St. had about 256 yards rushing!

Reactions: scrivener
Our run blocking problems have been going on for years, not just one or two games. ESPN has been bringing up our OL blocking, specifically, lack thereof for 3-4 years.

Troutwein (sp) better find lightning in the bottle this week or we are toast on Sat.

Did anyone watch Washington last night vs USC? Talk about a physical OL!!! And, that 3 star RB, Johnson who transferred from Miss St. had about 256 yards rushing!
I would say it's been a problem for about 20 or more years, with only a few exceptions

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Rutgers had "232 yards" rushing yesterday against OSU and manhandled them in the first half until Henderson got his legs,

This is why against OSU after two straight 8 yard runs by Allen we pulled him out and threw four incomplete passes.

That was our offense against OSU. It was laughable.

This is why against OSU after two straight 8 yard runs by Allen we pulled him out and threw four incomplete passes.

That was our offense against OSU. It was laughable.

Or after Singleton had a 20-yard run, we decided to hardly ever give him the ball for the rest of the game.

Or why we went for it on 4th down, which we set up so nicely by throwing incomplete passes on 2nd and 3rd down.

worst coaching job since the depths of the Jay/Galen era

Reactions: LionDeNittany

So Singleton is hurt.
Then why is he playing the majority of snaps?
Why, when the chips were on the line against OSU was he on the field getting stopped at the LOS?

The topic is who is playing better. Not who is injured.

Allen is outplaying Singleton. Period.

Reactions: scrivener
The loss of Scruggs was a back breaker. The chasm between him and Nourzad in quality is enormous. Nourzad is probably the worst center to play here since 73 a few years ago(can't remember the name but he was also substandard). In addition neither Wormley nor Nelson has been even close to good. Our tackle play has been pretty good actually at both spots but we can't block a soul up front in the middle. MY didn't do that any favors by refusing to run wide with either 10 OR 13. And they wasted Tre Potts too.

Just a whole lot of bad to go around.

“ Jay/Galen era” produced a Big10 offensive MVP and a 2-time All Big10 QB.
That's nothing. This one coach, Mike Yurcich, in one year produced a B1G offensive player of the year, had two offensive players in the top 6 of Heisman voting, and got 10 offensive players onto the 3 all conference teams. I think we should go after him.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
The loss of Scruggs was a back breaker. The chasm between him and Nourzad in quality is enormous. Nourzad is probably the worst center to play here since 73 a few years ago(can't remember the name but he was also substandard). In addition neither Wormley nor Nelson has been even close to good. Our tackle play has been pretty good actually at both spots but we can't block a soul up front in the middle. MY didn't do that any favors by refusing to run wide with either 10 OR 13. And they wasted Tre Potts too.

Just a whole lot of bad to go around.
Nourzad was better at guard. If Scruggs, Washington, and Strange would have returned PSU would be undefeated right now.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Nourzad was better at guard. If Scruggs, Washington, and Strange would have returned PSU would be undefeated right now.
And every year when the guys leave early this board goes apoplectic when anyone dare suggest that they should have stayed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT