ADVERTISEMENT

USC game

One of the comments in that tweet is accurate. Some kids will be opting out of playoff and championship games. It will happen this season. College football has no guiderails at all right now and it is a free for all. We have a mix of post-pandemic mental health embedded in a society that is all about me, me, me and only me. They think a new school will fix what is broken inside them. And it is not just the players, it's some of the coaches as well who show no dedication to their school or their players (looking at Sanders in particular!)

One of the comments in that tweet is accurate. Some kids will be opting out of playoff and championship games. It will happen this season. College football has no guiderails at all right now and it is a free for all. We have a mix of post-pandemic mental health embedded in a society that is all about me, me, me and only me. They think a new school will fix what is broken inside them. And it is not just the players, it's some of the coaches as well who show no dedication to their school or their players (looking at Sanders in particular!)
It won't...why opt out of playoff games? It doesn't make any sense nor is that best for them
Sitting out the rest of this season to preserve a redshirt does.
Now, not a single player should be agreeing to play in a bowl game but they won't opt out of playoff games.

It won't...why opt out of playoff games? It doesn't make any sense nor is that best for them
Now, not a single player should be agreeing to play in a bowl game but they won't opt out of playoff games.
It will happen this year. Some of them simply will not care about the status of those games. It will make sense for some that it is best to avoid injuries than play in those games to preserve their ticket to the NFL.

It will happen this year. Some of them simply will not care about the status of those games. It will make sense for some that it is best to avoid injuries than play in those games to preserve their ticket to the NFL.
It won't. I'm more sure about that than anything I've said here and we know how confident I think I am lol

Reactions: LMTLION

Here's another scenario: there are 12 teams making the playoffs; most teams will be effectively eliminated from contention well before the end of the season; so if a player has solidified his high-draft status before then, why play out the whole regular season and risk an injury? The same rationale that argues for skipping the non-playoff bowl, which has become a routine thing, now argues for sitting out regular season games.

In any case, the whole thing has become a total free-for-all.

Here's another scenario: there are 12 teams making the playoffs; most teams will be effectively eliminated from contention well before the end of the season; so if a player has solidified his high-draft status before then, why play out the whole regular season and risk an injury? The same rationale that argues for skipping the non-playoff bowl, which has become a routine thing, now argues for sitting out regular season games.

In any case, the whole thing has become a total free-for-all.
I think you have a great point. That will happen as well. We’re in desperate need of a collective bargaining agreement to create structure, rules, and more consistency.

I think you have a great point. That will happen as well. We’re in desperate need of a collective bargaining agreement to create structure, rules, and more consistency.
That's always happened. Players say they're hurt.
Using bowl games to predict what will happen for real games doesn't make sense.
Kids will protect their redshirts and its hard to claim if they were lied to about money or playing time they're wrong.
The time to set rules has long passed and NIL can't be restricted

Yep. Play or you don’t get paid.
We've reached the point where it's time to treat these players as employees, and the schools need to start entering into employment contracts with them so that there are contractual rights for both parties. Thus, like with broadcasters, there could be non-compete clauses. so that if you chose to leave, then you would have to sit out for a specified period.

Reactions: NedFromYork and Ski
We've reached the point where it's time to treat these players as employees, and the schools need to start entering into employment contracts with them so that there are contractual rights for both parties.
Then they're going to have to pay everyone in addition to NIL. NIL can't involve playing

Then they're going to have to pay everyone in addition to NIL. NIL can't involve playing
So be it. Big donors are paying most NIL money now. Big donors can instead donate the money to the schools' athletic department which in turn can use it for salaries. The schools will be happy because they will have some additional leverage on players. The big donors will like it because they won't have kids taking their NIL money and booking for another school. The players will be as well off financially as they are now because they will still be getting paid. Win/Win/Draw.

Reactions: Jerry
".....but what if I'm injured...."
Yep. there will be lots of details. the "what if I am injured" argument would be the same as the NFL. IMHO, first the players hate it so there is a lot of peer pressure for teams that are contending. Second, it erodes the player's value on the open market because the player will do the same with the next team at a critical time. Right now, in college ball, the kids are getting rewarded for not playing. That has to stop. If you reward for negative actions, you will get more negative actions.

Reactions: Ski and Lion_Backer
We've reached the point where it's time to treat these players as employees, and the schools need to start entering into employment contracts with them so that there are contractual rights for both parties. Thus, like with broadcasters, there could be non-compete clauses. so that if you chose to leave, then you would have to sit out for a specified period.
Who will be employed to represent a group of players/employees who 'work' on a rotating 4 year basis? And how would their compensation packages be negotiated and paid for?

My concerns are that the layers of bureaucracy required to implement the new system will erode a significant portion of the funds and the players that they were intended for.

Who will be employed to represent a group of players/employees who 'work' on a rotating 4 year basis? And how would their compensation packages be negotiated and paid for?

My concerns are that the layers of bureaucracy required to implement the new system will erode a significant portion of the funds and the players that they were intended for.
yep. there is no other way to do it than give the schools some kind of budget or salary cap. For the players, they will have to negotiate a per player minimum income which will cause them to compromise on a maximum income which is the model of both the NFL and NBA. Schools will have to balance risk and reward in this high-risk injury sport.

It also leads to a stratification of leagues. Many schools won't be able to keep up. I think of schools like Wake Forest and Vandy. I think Pitt may struggle. In the end, they will have to create some kind of super league. Then there will be secondary and tertiary leagues. That will resemble minor leagues in baseball or perhaps like the premier league's "relegation".

Yep. there will be lots of details. the "what if I am injured" argument would be the same as the NFL. IMHO, first the players hate it so there is a lot of peer pressure for teams that are contending. Second, it erodes the player's value on the open market because the player will do the same with the next team at a critical time. Right now, in college ball, the kids are getting rewarded for not playing. That has to stop. If you reward for negative actions, you will get more negative actions.
Rewarded for skipping scrimmages

yep. there is no other way to do it than give the schools some kind of budget or salary cap. For the players, they will have to negotiate a per player minimum income which will cause them to compromise on a maximum income which is the model of both the NFL and NBA. Schools will have to balance risk and reward in this high-risk injury sport.

It also leads to a stratification of leagues. Many schools won't be able to keep up. I think of schools like Wake Forest and Vandy. I think Pitt may struggle. In the end, they will have to create some kind of super league. Then there will be secondary and tertiary leagues. That will resemble minor leagues in baseball or perhaps like the premier league's "relegation".
And they get NIL on top of that like pro athletes

This issue was discussed last night on the College Football Show that includes Pete Thamel. I have a feeling that we are moving towards this because what happened this past week with UNLV is a totally untenable situation.

I mean, it's one thing for these players to opt out of bowl games after a season is completed, which I don't approve. However, now you have starting qbs of top 25 teams who are quitting on their teams in September and basically destroying the season for that team.

Reactions: Obliviax
So be it. Big donors are paying most NIL money now. Big donors can instead donate the money to the schools' athletic department which in turn can use it for salaries. The schools will be happy because they will have some additional leverage on players. The big donors will like it because they won't have kids taking their NIL money and booking for another school. The players will be as well off financially as they are now because they will still be getting paid. Win/Win/Draw.
If they're employees of the school, then the school should pay them.

Reactions: Ski
Money and leverage. Hey coach! I'm your star quarterback and I got the team into the playoff. Pay me a $250k bonus now or I'm not going to play in the games. Cool? Thanks.

Money and leverage. Hey coach! I'm your star quarterback and I got the team into the playoff. Pay me a $250k bonus now or I'm not going to play in the games. Cool? Thanks.
Zero chance of that
You're all taking things to extreme when we've seen nothing yet that even remotely indicates this
We have kids opting out of meaningless bowl games and saving eligibility. Those make sense. And aren't surprising. This one isn't even a story. The UNLV ones are because it's clear that they believe the UNLV coaching staff misled them.

Zero chance of that
You're all taking things to extreme when we've seen nothing yet that even remotely indicates this
We have kids opting out of meaningless bowl games and saving eligibility. Those make sense. And aren't surprising. This one isn't even a story. The UNLV ones are because it's clear that they believe the UNLV coaching staff misled them.
It won't be the norm but it's a possibility. Some of the players today care more about themselves, their draft status and their bank account than they do their team and would be willing to sacrifice winning playoff games to get paid. And if they don't get paid they can simply bounce to a new school or to the NFL, and get paid by their new home.

Reactions: Ski
It won't be the norm but it's a possibility. Some of the players today care more about themselves, their draft status and their bank account than they do their team and would be willing to sacrifice winning playoff games to get paid. And if they don't get paid they can simply bounce to a new school or to the NFL, and get paid by their new home.
Based on what? Your false belief that kids aren't interested in winning a title?
Playoff games have never been an issue and never will be an issue. The bowl games mean nothing so kids opt out.
No kid that actually plays is leaving and passing on a shot at a title--if it happens tell me I'm wrong but this is just fans creating a scenario in their head because they have such a hard time understanding why they don't care about a bowl game.

Based on what? Your false belief that kids aren't interested in winning a title?
Playoff games have never been an issue and never will be an issue. The bowl games mean nothing so kids opt out.
No kid that actually plays is leaving and passing on a shot at a title--if it happens tell me I'm wrong but this is just fans creating a scenario in their head because they have such a hard time understanding why they don't care about a bowl game.
UNLV is undefeated and the 2nd highest ranked G5 team at present. They currently control their own destiny for a possible playoff spot as they will play higher ranked Boise St. Yes, still many games to go, but you have the starting QB for a team that is in better position than many to get a playoff spot quitting his team to get paid. It's not a stretch to think this can happen later in the season as well when players would have all of the leverage imaginable. It probably won't be common, but is possible.

Anyway, said my piece and won't be responding further as I know you'll turn this into 5 pages of bickering.

UNLV is undefeated and the 2nd highest ranked G5 team at present. They currently control their own destiny for a possible playoff spot as they will play higher ranked Boise St. Yes, still many games to go, but you have the starting QB for a team that is in better position than many to get a playoff spot quitting his team to get paid. It's not a stretch to think this can happen later in the season as well when players would have all of the leverage imaginable. It probably won't be common, but is possible.

Anyway, said my piece and won't be responding further as I know you'll turn this into 5 pages of bickering.
It's not even remotely the same as skipping a playoff game. He's saving his redshirt so he can play another year. If you could skip a playoff game to save a redshirt I'd agree with you.

Of course you won't be responding because you don't actually want to discuss it--you just want to post nonsense because you hate what the system is

Yes. Yes, it can. Just like professional sports leagues restrict endorsement deals, and assorted revenue streams. NIL can be restricted via a collectively bargained agreement, or in individual contractual arrangements.
No no it can't be...see everything the courts have done. No one is touching NIL. We know that...or should.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT