ADVERTISEMENT

UT, Arches/Zion Help

ClarkstonMark

May 23, 2002
Sorta last minute, I realize I need to be in SLC, and then LA/SF.
So I am planning to meet my SLC customer next Thursday (7/13), then spend Friday and Saturday at either Zion or Arches NP.
I'll fly to LA Sunday, and girlfriend will fly back to Detroit around noon Sunday.

I have to decide whether to go to Zion or Arches. Any thoughts?

Other then Arches seeming to be an hour closer ,and maybe Moab is a better place to spend a night or two.

Any recommended hikes i neither park?
Pretty sure we will be driving from SLC Friday am, so will look for a hike Friday afternoon and then more or longer hikes Saturday.
Not sure if we will drive back to SLC late Saturday or early Sunday.

Oh one more thing, Saturday is the gf's birthday - so any decent recs for food in Moab (Arches) or Springdale (Zion). Bonus if they make good cocktails

Reactions: psu1969a
Super super hot time to be there. Not really the best time.

Take lots of water, stay hydrated. Arches -- believe it or not it is easy to get lost amid the rock formations so just be careful, if you're hikers, take what measures are necessary to not get lost.

In terms of which is the better park, they are both really special in different ways. If you go to Zion and you're not afraid of heights, the Angel's Landing hike is something you'll never forget.

Just got back from Canyons Tour. Zion is awesome. Two trails of note. RIVER IS THE easier. ANGEL is much harder and not for those afraid of heights. ANGEL is high and no fall protection. Lodge is pretty good.

I've been fortunate enough to have been able to visit both parks twice over the last 5-6 years and both are great.

For as hot as I imagine it will be in July, the Narrows trails in Zion may be the way to go. The canyon walls hopefully will supply some shade and the hike keeps you in the water. Angels Landing trail is hard, but the pay off is worth it with a great birds-eye view of the valley.

That being said, Arches may be my favorite place (that I have been to). There is something about it that I just l love. Lots of shorter trails to various arches. Delicate Arch is fantastic, but a longer hike. There is a longer trail out to Dark Angel. I didn't think Dark Angel was all that great, but there are several arches along the trail.

I can't really speak to the restaurants near either park, but I imagine Moab will have the better options. It is a much bigger town that Springdale . Same goes for lodging.

Arches is fantastic....as previously posted, a lot of quick easy hikes from parking lots. Can't wait to get out again to do Zion and Bryce!

So I am planning to meet my SLC customer next Thursday (7/13), then spend Friday and Saturday at either Zion or Arches NP.
I'll fly to LA Sunday, and girlfriend will fly back to Detroit around noon Sunday.

Other then Arches seeming to be an hour closer ,and maybe Moab is a better place to spend a night or two.

Pretty sure we will be driving from SLC Friday am, so will look for a hike Friday afternoon and then more or longer hikes Saturday.

Oh one more thing, Saturday is the gf's birthday - so any decent recs for food in Moab (Arches) or Springdale (Zion). Bonus if they make good cocktails
Given that you have such a limited amount of time, my suggestion would be to spend it hiking in Zion. While both options are terrific, IMO Zion offers more bang for a two day stay. I had the good fortune of working for the Park Service for the last 10 years of my career and was able to visit all of the "Crown Jewels" of the national park system. While anyone of them offers many spectacular hikes, if I had to choose one park for two days of hiking it would be Zion. Angels Landing, the Narrows, and the Subway are not to be missed. World class and unforgettable. But, this time of year, the crowds will take away a lot of the hiking high that you might otherwise enjoy. (no matter which park you go to).

Also, if you could squeeze it in, a trip to "the Wave" is also pretty amazing. The Wave is not in the park but is about an hour or so to the southwest near the Arizona border. As for accommodations, you will certainly have more options in Moab, but if you are lucky Springdale has some nice digs. Otherwise, Hurricane is the choice. btw, if it's solitude you need for your Hikes in Zion, the Subway is probably least crowded in summer, but Angels and the Narrows will be a problem.

Given that you have such a limited amount of time, my suggestion would be to spend it hiking in Zion. While both options are terrific, IMO Zion offers more bang for a two day stay. I had the good fortune of working for the Park Service for the last 10 years of my career and was able to visit all of the "Crown Jewels" of the national park system. While anyone of them offers many spectacular hikes, if I had to choose one park for two days of hiking it would be Zion. Angels Landing, the Narrows, and the Subway are not to be missed. World class and unforgettable. But, this time of year, the crowds will take away a lot of the hiking high that you might otherwise enjoy. (no matter which park you go to).

Also, if you could squeeze it in, a trip to "the Wave" is also pretty amazing. The Wave is not in the park but is about an hour or so to the southwest near the Arizona border. As for accommodations, you will certainly have more options in Moab, but if you are lucky Springdale has some nice digs. Otherwise, Hurricane is the choice. btw, if it's solitude you need for your Hikes in Zion, the Subway is probably least crowded in summer, but Angels and the Narrows will be a problem.
oops, The Wave is to the Southeast of the park, not the southwest. Sorry

Zion is very nice but also very, very crowded.
If it were me I would do Moab and arches and if you have enough time Grand Junction Colorado is not far.
Arches will be blazing hot right now but there are a lot of trails and even just diving through it is very nice with lots of pull outs.
Delicate Arch is not a long hike but it's all out in the open and very hot and will be very crowded.
Have fun there is no bad choice.

I was in Arches years back and it was near 100 degrees in mid Sept. Don t discount what everyone is saying about the heat. But Arches is beautiful and unique, so worth it if you decide to go. Had a good meal in Moab at a micro - brewery but sorry the name escapes me.

Utah is a very underrated state. It gets poked fun at for its Mormon tie-in, but it has a very diverse offering of activities and scenery for any outdoor taste.

Reactions: BBrown
Agree about the heat, we spent several days in Moab and the temps were 100+ each day. If you go to Arches, make sure to do the Fiery Furnace tour. Delicate Arch is a good evening hike when the temps have cooled a bit. The lookout at Dead Horse State Park is a must if going to Moab. Haven't been to Zion in 8 years, but you will have to rely on shuttles to get in and out.

What about Bryce Canyon NP? It's spectacular in its own way and doesn't need as much time as the others. Nice thing about Bryce it sits at a higher elevation than the other parks and will be cooler. You could also visit Cedar Breaks National Monument on the way. You can't go wrong with any of your choices.

BTW, you could drive to LA from Zion and be there in 5.5 hours. Vegas is a much closer airport than SLC from Zion.

I plan to go to Zion and Bryce next fall. I will definitely be hitting up this board for tips

I have been to a lot of national parks and Bryce is my favorite. Awesome views, even from a car or bus and nice trails.
I would also highly recommend Kodachrome state park it's not far and or heavily traveled.

I have been to both, Arches twice. I would choose Arches, much more scenic. The first time the temperature hit 106 the second it was in the 80ies, both in June.

Thanks for all the replies.

Whichever park we choose, I am thankful for the hike/sites advice you all have given.
So much better and easier then searching and reading the internet.
And all these posts on a Holiday!

Man the temps at Arches has me concerned.

At Zion I read a bit about hiking in the river, and a couple of you mentioned this. That sounds great to me but my gf has some foot issues, and I don't think she could do it. She really needs to be in her good running or hiking shoes, and I can't imagine wearing those while walking in a river, but tell me if I am wrong.

Also, I need to be in SLC, so can't fly into Vegas or LA and drive. Brice seems too far from SLC for the amount of time we will have.

Thanks for all the replies.

Whichever park we choose, I am thankful for the hike/sites advice you all have given.
So much better and easier then searching and reading the internet.
And all these posts on a Holiday!

Man the temps at Arches has me concerned.

At Zion I read a bit about hiking in the river, and a couple of you mentioned this. That sounds great to me but my gf has some foot issues, and I don't think she could do it. She really needs to be in her good running or hiking shoes, and I can't imagine wearing those while walking in a river, but tell me if I am wrong.

Also, I need to be in SLC, so can't fly into Vegas or LA and drive. Brice seems too far from SLC for the amount of time we will have.
Other than hiking Zion is an eight mile ride up the canyon and back on a tram. Cars are not allowed. At Arches you could also do Canyonlands it's on your route.

We've been to these places several times over the past couple of years. In fact,we are going back next week. Yea the temps are brutal during the summer months and next weeks forecast is exceptionally bad....low 100's!!! BUT we have free accommodations so we can't resist.

In any case, most of what everyone said here is good advice. Someone mentioned the Wave. I would not recommend that on a short stay. Be advised that to go to the Wave now you need a permit and it's essentially a two day process. The permit process consists of going to the town of Kanab Utah (south near the AZ boarder) at 9:30am MT the day BEFORE you wish to hike to the Wave. You show up...sign up and then they do a drawing and give out permits for 20 people....not 20 permits....20 people. So getting one is like winning the lottery. Then the permit, if you are lucky enough to get one...is only good for the next day.

There are other really cool slot canyons (Antelope canyons) in the Page, AZ area that you don't need a permit for (although it does cost you to walk through them) but Page is more out of your way.

Several people mentioned the narrow river hike. This is fantastic but be aware that part of it will be through water as you hike up the canyon in the river. The water isn't very deep but it's still hiking much of the way in ankle to knee deep water.

Angels Landing is incredible but steep and not for the faint of heart. As others have said, it's a narrow passage with a very long drop off on either side as you walk the last section (there is a chain you can hold on to).

One more thing to mention...Zion has been affected slightly by the fires at Brian Head. Although the past few days have been clear and they seem to be controlling it...there could be smoke in the area depending on the winds. Bryce is much more affected by this. (and by the way Bryce is another way cool place to visit...it's about an hour and a half from Zion

We've been to these places several times over the past couple of years. In fact,we are going back next week. Yea the temps are brutal during the summer months and next weeks forecast is exceptionally bad....low 100's!!! BUT we have free accommodations so we can't resist.

In any case, most of what everyone said here is good advice. Someone mentioned the Wave. I would not recommend that on a short stay. Be advised that to go to the Wave now you need a permit and it's essentially a two day process. The permit process consists of going to the town of Kanab Utah (south near the AZ boarder) at 9:30am MT the day BEFORE you wish to hike to the Wave. You show up...sign up and then they do a drawing and give out permits for 20 people....not 20 permits....20 people. So getting one is like winning the lottery. Then the permit, if you are lucky enough to get one...is only good for the next day.

There are other really cool slot canyons (Antelope canyons) in the Page, AZ area that you don't need a permit for (although it does cost you to walk through them) but Page is more out of your way.

Several people mentioned the narrow river hike. This is fantastic but be aware that part of it will be through water as you hike up the canyon in the river. The water isn't very deep but it's still hiking much of the way in ankle to knee deep water.

Angels Landing is incredible but steep and not for the faint of heart. As others have said, it's a narrow passage with a very long drop off on either side as you walk the last section (there is a chain you can hold on to).

One more thing to mention...Zion has been affected slightly by the fires at Brian Head. Although the past few days have been clear and they seem to be controlling it...there could be smoke in the area depending on the winds. Bryce is much more affected by this. (and by the way Bryce is another way cool place to visit...it's about an hour and a half from Zion

Excellent advice.
I tried winning the wave lottery but like the other lottery I lost.
I really want to do it so I'll try the next time I go back.

Excellent advice.
I really want to do it so I'll try the next time I go back.[/QUOTEIf you decide to go to Zion here are a few other tidbits that might be of interest to you,

1). to help you make your decision about doing the river hike, it is called "the Narrows". Go to you tube and type in The Narrows in Zion NP. It will help you with your decision about your gf being able to do it.

2). Most times of year the water is too cold to hike the narrows unless you wear wetsuits IMO. The best months to do it are July, Aug & Sept. you don't need cold water gear at that time.

Never been to Zion but went to Arches last year. I have 2 bad wheels but was able to take the moderate hikes okay. We went in September when it wasn't too hot. A couple of great places to eat in Moab -- 1) The Blu Pig - blues music and great pulled pork. 2) Moab Brewery - good brews and pub food, gelato stand outside. 3) Jailhouse -- great breakfast.. Stayed at the Inca Inn, nothing fancy but the price was great compared to everything else in town (less than 1/2 cost - tripadvisor.com gives it great reviews). Nice place to visit about 12 miles away on the Colorado River is Castle Creek winery. They have a free museum showing movie memorabilia from films shot in Moab and surrounding parks. The wine was okay.

Excellent advice.
I really want to do it so I'll try the next time I go back.
Me too...I've tried on two different occasions with no luck.

You can apply for a permit online in advance if you know exactly what day you will be there.. those odds aren't any better but it saves you the trip to Kanab the day before anyways.

https://www.thewave.info/CoyoteButtesNorthCode/Permits.html

Went to grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce two summers ago, would love to get to Bryce and other places in Utah, it was gorgeous.

Was at Zion and Bryce last week and Arches 3 years ago. I wouldn't let the heights thing deter you at Zion and Angel's Landing. I'm terrified of heights and was fine on the hike - the only crazy part is the final few hundred feet with the chains. But you don't have to do this part to get an awesome view. Also, when I was there, the nearby forest fire only made it better - the distant haziness made some of the further mountains look like watercolor paintings come to life.

The shuttle system at Zion works really well, especially if you ride it to the last stop early in the day and work your way back to the entrance. I was also impressed with Springdale - actually had a couple of good meals and decent beers there. Zion Brewery right next to the park was pretty good, as was Oscar's Cafe. I can't speak to Moab.

I think it comes down to how active you want to be. If you're looking to mostly drive and see some cool sites with minimal effort, Arches is probably the better choice. If you're looking to do some moderate to strenuous hiking and are willing to wake up early to beat the crowds then I would choose Zion.

Moab has great restaurants on Main Street and the parks are amazing.The trails are very technical so get the best gear you can.We rented a condo with a pool.I would recommend staying at a hotel that has one.

Hi Rohr,
I think we are going to go to Zion, and plan to do Angel's Landing, though I doubt we do the final section. I have some balance issues, and the gf will not want to take any risks.
Question - if we only for the "safe" part of Angel's Landing, is it still worth it? I am thinking it will still be strenuous, and still take a couple/few hours. How long is that last section?
Our reference hike is Chola trail on Camelback in Scottsdale - anyone that has done both Chola and Angel's Landing care to compare the two in terms of physical exertion and danger? FWIW I never feel any danger at all on Camelback
Thanks!

Was at Zion and Bryce last week and Arches 3 years ago. I wouldn't let the heights thing deter you at Zion and Angel's Landing. I'm terrified of heights and was fine on the hike - the only crazy part is the final few hundred feet with the chains. But you don't have to do this part to get an awesome view. Also, when I was there, the nearby forest fire only made it better - the distant haziness made some of the further mountains look like watercolor paintings come to life.

The shuttle system at Zion works really well, especially if you ride it to the last stop early in the day and work your way back to the entrance. I was also impressed with Springdale - actually had a couple of good meals and decent beers there. Zion Brewery right next to the park was pretty good, as was Oscar's Cafe. I can't speak to Moab.

I think it comes down to how active you want to be. If you're looking to mostly drive and see some cool sites with minimal effort, Arches is probably the better choice. If you're looking to do some moderate to strenuous hiking and are willing to wake up early to beat the crowds then I would choose Zion.
Thanks, I think you have convinced me that we will have a good time on Angel's Landing.
We plan to do this Saturday morning.

Any recs for a hike Friday afternoon or evening, knowing it will be 100-105 in Zion?

Thanks, I think you have convinced me that we will have a good time on Angel's Landing.
We plan to do this Saturday morning.

Any recs for a hike Friday afternoon or evening, knowing it will be 100-105 in Zion?

Just know that Angel's landing is definitely a more strenuous hike with a lot of elevation gain. But if you're good with that then yes, you could still definitely enjoy it even if you're not fond of heights.

We arrived to Zion in the afternoon as well when it was well over one hundred. Did the Riverwalk off of the furthest shuttle stop. We did not actually hike in the river, just alongside it. Pretty much flat with a good amount of shade and plenty of opportunities to stop and rest by the river. If you're up for it, you could even hike in the river with proper footwear or bring a bathing suit and take a dip.

The emerald pools trail is pretty easy as well (at least the first two pools, getting to the third one involves a fair amount of elevation gain IIRC), so that could be an option.

I'm sure there are some other easy hikes, but those were the ones we did. Probably worth stopping by the visitor center and asking a Park Ranger for his or her opinion.

Thanks for all the help guys.
We hiked the Riverside Walk and Emerald Pools Friday afternoon.
I got dehydrated doing the Rverside (which is flat and easy), so the gf was really afraid of what might happen Saturday (no iisues Saturday, thank the Lord).
Saturday morning we did Angel's Landing.
Wow, I've never been more terrified on a hike in my life. But we made it up. I had my eyes looking straight in front of me whenever moving. I could not look to the sides it was so scary.

Zion tips:
Be prepared for long lines for the shuttles on The Weeknd.
Angel's Landing gets REALLY crowded. When you're on the sod of a clif holding a chain going up or down and someone is going the other way, it can be scary.
Drove 90-100 mph on the Utah interstates - that was nice.

Zion is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Just amazing. Pictures do not do any justice!

Best hiking experience I ever had was on Angel's Landing at Zion. I had been hiking in Bryce Canyon in early April, but the trails in the southern portion of the park were closed because of snow. So I headed to Zion, which wasn't supposed to officially open until after the weekend, but they let the few people in free of charge.

The next morning I went to Angel's Landing, and had the whole thing to myself. I ate lunch at the top, and finally passed a few people on my way down.

Even if you don't go to the very top, there are great views of West Canyon on your left. I've been to Zion four times, but would like to go back and hike from outside the park into The Narrows. The "hike" apparently requires a bit of swimming.

Thanks for all the help guys.
We hiked the Riverside Walk and Emerald Pools Friday afternoon.
I got dehydrated doing the Rverside (which is flat and easy), so the gf was really afraid of what might happen Saturday (no iisues Saturday, thank the Lord).
Saturday morning we did Angel's Landing.
Wow, I've never been more terrified on a hike in my life. But we made it up. I had my eyes looking straight in front of me whenever moving. I could not look to the sides it was so scary.

Zion tips:
Be prepared for long lines for the shuttles on The Weeknd.
Angel's Landing gets REALLY crowded. When you're on the sod of a clif holding a chain going up or down and someone is going the other way, it can be scary.
Drove 90-100 mph on the Utah interstates - that was nice.

Zion is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Just amazing. Pictures do not do any justice!

Glad you were able to do the Angel's Landing hike. Zion is indeed amazing. I was able to hike it this past Friday morning. As you said....kinda scary but not tremendously difficult. If you ever get out to Zion in the spring or fall....it's really nice when the trail is empty and you don't have to wait in 100-degree heat for the shuttle buses. I tried to do the Narrows hike but the days I wanted to do it the flash flood level was "Severe" so I figured I shouldn't chance it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT