ADVERTISEMENT

Very good news for the B1G teams.

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
No one wants to hire Moorhead any more so the RPO will either get him or coach Frankkin fired in the next several years. Moorhead has no answer for the defensive schemes that have neutered his offense.

Reactions: Cpeplion
I have an idea. An occasional play from under center, especially on short yardage. I know. That's crazy talk.

Watch our offense in 2015 with Barkey running designed runs and imagine TM at QB instead of Hack. Also imagine the line and skill position receivers we have now. And....go!

Reactions: psu2016
No one wants to hire Moorhead any more so the RPO will either get him or coach Frankkin fired in the next several years. Moorhead has no answer for the defensive schemes that have neutered his offense.

Can't argue with that..... I know this OL has had injuries but Chaz Wright was the lowest ranked as a recruit and the only one that seems to have progressed at all to me despite his ankle injury, except for Bates. I know they are young (excepr for Mahon) but are they getting better at all? Could it be something else other than talent at play?

Bates 4* Will Fries 4 *, Menet 4*, Mahon 4* McGovern 4* Gonzalez 4*

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbopper1985
We have now come to the full moronic circle...you guys want Donovan back. Smh

No. Just more inventive play calling. Let me know when Franklin and JoMo win a big game on the road with an offense that relies more on scheme and execution than the unbelievable skill of one player. Thanks.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Can't argue with that..... I know this OL has had injuries but Chaz Wright was the lowest ranked as a recruit and the only one that seems to have progressed at all to me despite his ankle injury, except for Bates. I know they are young (excepr for Mahon) but are they getting better at all? Could it be something else other than talent at play?

Bates 4* Will Fries 4 *, Menet 4*, Mahon 4* McGoven 4* Gonzalez 4*
Agree, the lack of progress on the OL is inexcusable (unless of course, they are at the top of their abilities).

Last edited:

Bates 4* Will Fries 4 *, Menet 4*, Mahon 4* McGoven 4* Gonzalez 4*
Also don't understand why they're committed to keeping Mahon at guard. He was a legitimately good left tackle for us last year before he got hurt. He has never been a very good guard. Is Michael Menet so bad that we couldn't put him in at right guard so we could slide Mahon back in at tackle?

Also don't understand why they're committed to keeping Mahon at guard. He was a legitimately good left tackle for us last year before he got hurt. He has never been a very good guard. Is Michael Menet so bad that we couldn't put him in at right guard so we could slide Mahon back in at tackle?
I won’t believe any hype about the OL or young linemen in the future. Franklin said that this OL would be one of the best, if not the best, in the conference. He was way off.

Maybe we need a run game coordinator. Moorhead could be passing game coordinator. Franklin would have veto power on the plays called. Three offensive play callers are better than one!

The resulting delay of game penalties wouldn't be as bad as all those negative plays.

Tic. ;)

So lets try to get this thread going in right direction. What are keys to fixing the problems?
--Experience & nastiness for OL. The more I watch this offense, the more convinced I am that the scheme does not lend itself to attacking/aggressive OL play. Definitely need under the center and 2 back, 2 TE plays. There must be an ability to play smashmouth @ times.

--Can this offense support any pitch sweeps? I am not knowledgeable enough about how much offensive scheme can change.

--Experience & strength from the DE position. Brown & then Bucholz going down, left us with smallish, inexperienced DEs Who often run themselves out of plays.

--Honest assessment of current LBers playing, with exception of Bowen and Brown (injured), is lack of athleticism. Hoping the young guys who are redshirting and those coming in will change that.

--Unsuccessful blItz schemes leaving large openings for QBs to exploit the zone defenses they have been playing the last few games. Perhaps get back to man in secondary and less LBer blitzes?

I am hoping our coaches can make some meaningful adjustments because BIG play requires physical power football as the season progresses. RPO alone will not consistently win this league.

Last edited:

Bates 4* Will Fries 4 *, Menet 4*, Mahon 4* McGovern 4* Gonzalez 4*
That’s because we hired an OL coach, who was rightfully recognized for developing OL in a pro-style offense at Minny, to coach OL in some funky weird-ass RPO scheme.

There’s a reason Chef Herb failed and Limegrower is failing..... um, what/who could that be?:rolleyes:

Even with pressure on the QB, MSU found their "wide open" W/R's all day long! Just standing in an open zone waiting for the ball to be thrown to them. Absolutely horrible DB play.

3rd and "18" no problem, just throw it to one of our wide open W/R's standing there waiting for the throw. TCF is going to be a star for us. He was the only DB playing with a pulse all day!

Reactions: Jack Hammer
IMHO the scheme is responsible for the tfls, sacks and lousy rushing yards. Evidently there is no fix to counter the defensive schemes we have seen since the Iowa game. We still get the long completions but can not control the LOS and close out a close game.

Even with pressure on the QB, MSU found their "wide open" W/R's all day long! Just standing in an open zone waiting for the ball to be thrown to them. Absolutely horrible DB play.

3rd and "18" no problem, just throw it to one of our wide open W/R's standing there waiting for the throw. TCF is going to be a star for us. He was the only DB playing with a pulse all day!
Agree on TCF. Lost in the CF that was Allen’s boneheaded penalty is that Castro-Fields made a hell of a play to break up the pass.

38 points last last week. 24 tough points this week. Are you sure there’s a problem scoring points or is the problem keeping points off the scoeboard?

38 points last last week. 24 tough points this week. Are you sure there’s a problem scoring points or is the problem keeping points off the scoeboard?
Agreed. Stop opponents from consistently converting 3rd and long and we'll win these games. Get some DTs that can get some push up the middle. I thought Chavez did that pretty well for a series yesterday. Scoring 38 should win you the game.

Reactions: Nit16

The offense has all American talent (which one could argue is not being utilized to the best of its abilities )

The defense does not

That's what is bothering many fans imo

Reactions: okinburg1
Over 400 yards yesterday too. Problem for the offense yesterday was 3 INT's by the QB, a dropped pass (could have been better thrown and was too the wrong receiver) on 4th down on what should have been the game winning drive. Throw-in a defensive holding/PI penalty that was not called in the endzone on the pass to Johnson and PSU settles for the FG (too make it worse PSU gets flagged for the same thing on the next drive).

D got torched yesterday, Allen has a stupid penalty that allowed them to kick the game winning field goal.

Team made too mistakes to win the game. Throw-in a 3.5 hour weather delay where they were not ready to play, ugh.

Reactions: Nit16 and Ct. Lion
A top rushing recruit should realize that RPO can not overcome the present defense schemes and allow them to excel at rushing. Why come here when we want to he a 400 ypg passing offense with no answer to the 10-15 TFLs per game. Champions need a rushing attack to put teams away and keep them off the field. Our defense was gassed in the fourth quarter for both losses. If you can not adjust RPO to overcome recent schemes, scrap it.

-Can this offense support any pitch sweeps? I am not knowledgeable enough about how much offensive scheme can change.

Good point, somehow we need to get Barkley some space to run in. Actually we started the game that way with a few pitch sweeps to the right and Barkley got some good yardage on first down.
Three big WRs to the right, like Johnson, Blacknall and Charles, Gesicki on the right side, RPO formation. At the snap Barkley takes off to the right, receives the pitch from McSorely and has open space. The WRs block down and in, Gesicki blocks someone, the line does something positive whatever that might be, and we shift the point of attack away from the middle of the line and the crashing DEs and blitzing linebackers to a spot on the right where the defense can be isolated to some degree. At least it will be a point where Barkley is now moving at full speed with some open space and there are some blockers out front running interference.
This play actually worked. If it had been run more than just a couple of times early maybe Barkley would have broken a few long runs. The one lone WR on the left side, probably Hamilton, might be very open in a hole left by the shifting LBs for an RPO pass. Maybe Gesicki moves left against the flow for a shovel pass. Who knows but having the best running back in the country who has limited run options from the backfield does not help our offense.

It seems I have been through that "3rd and 18" thing before. It was Bradly's defense wasn't it?

I replied to a post talking about the 2015 offense. Remind me, who was the offensive coordinator that year?

Donovan. But, no way to predict what his offense would look like with our personnel today. Might be better, or worse. He and Hack were oil and water and CJF wanted to change things up (and send a message). Change made. Message sent. We have the results.

Seems like we are scoring enough points to win these games. Had our last pass on 4th and 3 been caught, we win that game. Or had we not committed a roughing the passer penalty we might have stopped MSU without a field goal. Sometimes it’s not the play calling as much as the execution. We had some big time mistakes and turnovers (blocked punt) that lost us both these last two games. Sometimes you have the blame the players.

A top rushing recruit should realize that RPO can not overcome the present defense schemes and allow them to excel at rushing. Why come here when we want to he a 400 ypg passing offense with no answer to the 10-15 TFLs per game. Champions need a rushing attack to put teams away and keep them off the field. Our defense was gassed in the fourth quarter for both losses. If you can not adjust RPO to overcome recent schemes, scrap it.
Well, hopefully they'll adjust to the talent on hand and aren't wedded to the RPO. Maybe this was the only option because they knew they had no OL. Worked last year until opponents adjusted. Were it not for two of the next three being at home, I'd expect another loss. And it wouldn't surprise me if it happens regardless.

If any of you have watched other teams run the RPO, on running plays they push forward like a standard running play. In Moorhead’s version of the RPO, they run a pass blocking scheme even on running plays. This is why there are 2 or 3 linemen in our backfield when Saquon gets the ball. It is absolutely horrible. I used to think our line sucked. Not the case. The blocking scheme on running plays sucks. Why are we retreating on running plays? What a disgrace. We just wasted the talents of the best running back in PSU history because of a lousy scheme and a stubbornness not to adapt.

Reactions: okinburg1
If any of you have watched other teams run the RPO, on running plays they push forward like a standard running play. In Moorhead’s version of the RPO, they run a pass blocking scheme even on running plays. This is why there are 2 or 3 linemen in our backfield when Saquon gets the ball. It is absolutely horrible. I used to think our line sucked. Not the case. The blocking scheme on running plays sucks. Why are we retreating on running plays? What a disgrace. We just wasted the talents of the best running back in PSU history because of a lousy scheme and a stubbornness not to adapt.

Great point, you are spot on. Not a coach, but look at OSU when the run the football. They pound away up front. Maybe that is our only way to be successful in the running game is to block like we are in the I formation. Most of the time against OSU, we had four players in the backfield on running plays; McSorely, Barkley, and two Buckeyes making the tackle for a 2-3 yard loss!

I asked about this same thing yesterday. I was told If a run play is called the OL run blocks. They explode off the LOS (in theory). If a RPO play is called they essentially pass block even though the option might be run which is why there are so many negative plays. RPO can work if a defense chooses to take the run away. But there must be very few bad passes and/or drops. This year defenses have taken the deep ball away forcing underneath throws. From a defensive perspective they bank on the offense being unable to sustain long drives. One problem with RPO IMHO is that if the bad weather makes passing a challenge it really hampers your offense if the defense chooses to take the run away. I think we should all give the coaching staff a couple of more years to fine tune the RPO. This is the best scoring offense we've had in 20 years. We're just getting to full strength after sanctions and as far as I can see we are way ahead of anyone's expectations.
For the Glory!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT