ADVERTISEMENT

Watching osu-psu 2014

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Well, they tabbed this as the 25th best game of the year. To hear them talk, this was the game that got osu rolling.. which kinda conflicts with what griese and company were saying last year where they noted that osu came into the game on a major roll.

penn state? well,apparently without a catastrophic mistake by barrett, we were pretty much old stale news. a gritty bunch, but over-matched for sure. to hear this year's pundits tell it (pre-game), the only thing that kept us in it was luck.

then the game comes on and there's the hack interception (i pause now for the laughter)... it is such a moment of incredulity to go back in time and listen to them talk about it as they wait for the replay... there was ZERO doubt the call would be over-turned. Not a possibility, not a sliver of a chance.. ZERO. Every angle confirmed it was incomplete. And yet somehow the retards of the (pardon my laughter at printing this) B1G managed to screw the pooch completely. Yes the "bigggggg"est bunch of retards imaginable.

And then i got to wondering why the prime time replay was severely delayed (the 7pm was pre-empted by some women's sporting event, and the next game shown was #24.. our re-broadcast came on at 2ish). And i couldn't help but wonder if some folks watching might be thinking osu got to #1 by fraud... so they solved that by not showing it when anyone would actually watch it (remember, not everyone saw that game).

that isn't to say what they did at the end didn't merit #1 -- they earned it then -- but they never have the chance if this game is called right.

awfully hard to watch after that bit of crap. so typical of b1ggggggg.

Last edited:
that isn't to say what they did at the end didn't merit #1 -- they earned it then -- but they never have the chance if this game is called right.
There are so many assumptions in this line. Say they did correctly overturn the interception...who's to say that Hack doesn't throw a pick-6 on the next play? If they call the delay of game properly, how do you know that Penn State doesn't get pinned inside the one and end up with a safety or punting the ball back to give Ohio State a short TD drive?

So many people don't seem to know how cause and effect work. I'm not saying this is you, but there seems to be a contingent that says "well, that's 10 points for Ohio State, if those calls are right, they don't get those points and Penn State wins 17-7." No. If the interception gets called correctly, EVERYTHING that happened after that point (99% of the game) changes. Everything. Maybe Penn State ends up winning, maybe Ohio State ends up winning by 20. Maybe it turns out the exact same way. We'll never know.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
There are so many assumptions in this line. Say they did correctly overturn the interception...who's to say that Hack doesn't throw a pick-6 on the next play? If they call the delay of game properly, how do you know that Penn State doesn't get pinned inside the one and end up with a safety or punting the ball back to give Ohio State a short TD drive?

So many people don't seem to know how cause and effect work. I'm not saying this is you, but there seems to be a contingent that says "well, that's 10 points for Ohio State, if those calls are right, they don't get those points and Penn State wins 17-7." No. If the interception gets called correctly, EVERYTHING that happened after that point (99% of the game) changes. Everything. Maybe Penn State ends up winning, maybe Ohio State ends up winning by 20. Maybe it turns out the exact same way. We'll never know.

CJF talked about those 10 points after the game. He had to be careful what he said, because B1G is just looking for a reason to kick Penn State in the nuts. But it was obvious he thought those 10 points were huge in that game.
If CJF thinks those points were big, that's good enough for me.

We'll never know.
That's the whole issue right there. We'll never know since the officiating was so inept. It would have been great to find out what would have happened without the incompetence. Game officials shouldn't have that kind of impact on a game. If it was the case where the bad calls in some strange way prevented OSU from winning by 20 points then Buckeye fans should be complaining too. But they're not which should tell you something.

Last edited:
[So many people don't seem to know how cause and effect work. I'm not saying this is you, but there seems to be a contingent that says "well, that's 10 points for Ohio State, if those calls are right, they don't get those points and Penn State wins 17-7." No. If the interception gets called correctly, EVERYTHING that happened after that point (99% of the game) changes. Everything. Maybe Penn State ends up winning, maybe Ohio State ends up winning by 20. Maybe it turns out the exact same way. We'll never know.[/QUOTE]

It's a good point and one I think we are all aware of.. so yes, I'm way out on a limb making assumptions like we win the game if this call is made correctly. Hell, it could be argued that Hack gets away with that kind of throw, feels invincible, throws more, gets picked later. [in truth, he did keep making that kind of throw.]

The problem wasn't just that interception. There were so many mistakes (bosa ripping Hack's helmet off... something that conveniently was NOT shown on this heavily edited version... the timeouts that were called by refs but not by the coaches... the oopsie with the spot and time back on the clock lunacy... the leap penalty... the list is almost endless) by a group of refs that you had to feel someone was being paid off.. the level of incompetence was beyond belief.

[Watching this game a year later without any real emotional involvement allowed me to look at how it was reffed differently than at the moment where i'm so much more invested and likely to see things with blinders on. blinders off last night, and it really was an incredibly inept reffing performance. truly embarrassing to those involved and the league.. no wonder they cut the tape so much.]

But it still annoys me that the announcers during the game are addressing the situation accurately, but in the espn after-the-fact version (shown prior to and during the #25 game), there was little mention that the mistakes barrett made were brought about by the defense forcing him into those mistakes. It was as if we were yesterdays potatoes to osu's juggernaut.

kinda pissed me off... cuz the kids played their guts out and deserved better.

Last edited:
CJF talked about those 10 points after the game. He had to be careful what he said, because B1G is just looking for a reason to kick Penn State in the nuts. But it was obvious he thought those 10 points were huge in that game.
If CJF thinks those points were big, that's good enough for me.
I'm not saying they weren't big. I'm saying that who's to say they don't get those 10 points back anyway? You can't just subtract them and pretend the rest of the game plays out the same way.
That's the whole issue right there. We'll never know since the officiating was so inept. It would have been great to find out what would have happened without the incompetence. Game officials shouldn't have that kind of impact on a game. If it was the case where the bad calls in some strange way prevented OSU from winning by 20 points then Buckeye fans should be complaining too. But they're not which should tell you something.
Ohio State fans could make the argument that a call as bad or worse than any from the 2014 Penn State game cost them a perfect regular season in 2007. Or that a "fumble" against Purdue in 2012 almost cost them a perfect regular season that year (even though Braxton was on the ground on the ball when the Purdue player pulled it away from him). Or that any number of holding calls from any game they play in aren't called. Watch Joey Bosa get held every play. Or go back and watch Noah Spence get held every play. Or Vernon Gholston. Cam Hayward. Will Smith. The officials are incompetent, you'll get no argument from me on that. But there's enough bad calls to go around for everyone.
It's a good point and one I think we are all aware of.. so yes, I'm way out on a limb making assumptions like we win the game if this call is made correctly. Hell, it could be argued that Hack gets away with that kind of throw, feels invincible, throws more, gets picked later. [in truth, he did keep making that kind of throw.]

The problem wasn't just that interception. There were so many mistakes (bosa ripping Hack's helmet off... something that conveniently was NOT shown on this heavily edited version... the timeouts that were called by refs but not by the coaches... the oopsie with the spot and time back on the clock lunacy... the leap penalty... the list is almost endless) by a group of refs that you had to feel someone was being paid off.. the level of incompetence was beyond belief.

[Watching this game a year later without any real emotional involvement allowed me to look at how it was reffed differently than at the moment where i'm so much more invested and likely to see things with blinders on. blinders off last night, and it really was an incredibly inept reffing performance. truly embarrassing to those involved and the league.. no wonder they cut the tape so much.]

But it still annoys me that the announcers during the game are addressing the situation accurately, but in the espn after-the-fact version (shown prior to and during the #25 game), there was little mention that the mistakes barrett made were brought about by the defense forcing him into those mistakes. It was as if we were yesterdays potatoes to osu's juggernaut.

kinda pissed me off... cuz the kids played their guts out and deserved better.
Well, there's your problem! ESPN is orders of magnitude more corrupt and inept than anything the Big Ten or Big Ten officiating has to offer. Look at their preseason FPI and tell me they're not pushing a certain agenda.

Seriously though, the Lions played their butts off in that game and deserve a ton of credit for battling back and fighting till the very end. And the refs were terrible in that game and, unfortunately for Penn State, the incompetence for the most part went against them. The conference handled it, like they do all officiating controversies, poorly. I'm not arguing any of that.

My only point was, you can't just take 10 points off the board and say Penn State wins.

Ohio State fans could make the argument that a call as bad or worse than either in from the 2014 Penn State game cost them a perfect regular season in 2007. Or that a "fumble" against Purdue in 2012 almost cost them a perfect regular season that year (even though Braxton was on the ground on the ball when the Purdue player pulled it away from him). Or that any number of holding calls from any game they play in aren't called. Watch Joey Bosa get held every play. Or go back and watch Noah Spence get held every play. Or Vernon Gholston. Cam Hayward. Will Smith. The officials are incompetent, you'll get no argument from me on that. But there's enough bad calls to go around for everyone..

I honestly don't care what Ohio State fans think about some game from 2007 since I thought we were discussing a game from last year. But it's nice to see you're no different from anyone here in complaining about games which you say would have been won if it weren't for bad officiating. Yet you lecture us about how Ohio State seemingly may have won in a blowout had bad calls not gone in their favor. OK, thanks. I suppose I could make the same argument about all the above games you listed.

Reactions: joedirt47
I honestly don't care what Ohio State fans think about some game from 2007 since I thought we were discussing a game from last year. But it's nice to see you're no different from anyone here in complaining about games which you say would have been won if it weren't for bad officiating. Yet you lecture us about how Ohio State seemingly may have won in a blowout had bad calls not gone in their favor. OK, thanks. I suppose I could make the same argument about all the above games you listed.
I never said Ohio State would have won. I said the argument could be made. You acted like Ohio State never had a terrible call go against them. I pointed out a few that jumped immediately to mind as really terrible calls.

But guess what, Ohio State didn't lose that game against Illinois because of a bad call. They lost because they couldn't get Juice Williams and Rashard Mendenhall off the field in the 4th quarter. And here's a little secret for you, bad calls happen to every team. Every. Single. One.

Yeah, Penn State got some crap calls last year. But the entire point here is that every play and every decision and the attitude and focus of every player on the field is different if those calls go the other way. The strategy and flow of the game are completely different and would lead to a completely different outcome. If it's 7-0 at half and not 17-0, you'd be crazy if you think the second half unfolds exactly as it did.

As an OSU fan I absolutely admit that those calls in question were bad calls. OSU lucked out and yes a loss would have meant that there wouldn't have been a playoff run and a resulting National Championship.

But as mentioned who knows how the game is played out if the correct calls were made. Up 17-0 with Barrett's health questionable the Bucks went into a very conservative mode. If they continued to attack because of a close game early in the second half things may have resulted differently. In who's favor, is anyone's guess.

I don't think there was a conspiracy by the Big against PSU. Bad officials, maybe. A few bad calls absolutely. Good teams overcome the calls or take advantage of them. OSU was on a roll going into the game but there was still doubt and questions as to whether Barrett was really the starting QB or the second string forced to start because of an injury to the true first string QB.

I've said OSU probably doesn't go undefeated the rat of the way if not for the Virginia Tech loss. It enabled them to learn how to handle the defense that they were the most susceptible to being exploited by. I'll add that I don't think OSU beats MSU if not for the Penn State game. That was the game where Barrett won over the team.

There can not be that many critical game changing calls in the favor of one team and not suspect that

1) The game was fixed.
2) The team being shafted over and over again only to lose in double overtime would have won if this conference had an ounce of integrity.

It is absolutely absurd to watch that bounced INT early and lost replays which confirmed what everyone saw at game speed with their naked eye from anywhere in the stadium or on TV and not think that the fix was in.

It is absolutely absurd to watch a 50 yard FG kicked like 5 seconds after the play clock expired.

In overtime, do you call "leaping" on an extra point if the player did not even use another player to jump? He partially landed on a player but that happens on almost every extra point or FG. They incorrectly make an obscure call in overtime that will significantly impact the rest of overtime?

The bottom line is that this conference is a sham. Ohio St may have been better than any other team at the end of last season but they were no champion unless a champion needs referees to cheat to beat a 6-6 team. Penn State won that game and even the cheating conference knows it.

As an OSU fan I absolutely admit that those calls in question were bad calls. OSU lucked out and yes a loss would have meant that there wouldn't have been a playoff run and a resulting National Championship.

But as mentioned who knows how the game is played out if the correct calls were made. Up 17-0 with Barrett's health questionable the Bucks went into a very conservative mode. If they continued to attack because of a close game early in the second half things may have resulted differently. In who's favor, is anyone's guess.

you thought they went conservative? never had the sense of that... if they had, barrett isn't chucking it into the middle of the field (both ints).. they just run zeke and barrett with little dink tosses in between. nope, i am 100% certain the turban had every intention of putting up a 45-0 rout on penn state... he points at this game as an opportunity to jam it down the throats of our school and particularly, our recruits... that osu is the only place to be if you want to win. [ditto michigan games]

conservative? not by a long shot.

There can not be that many critical game changing calls in the favor of one team and not suspect that

1) The game was fixed.
2) The team being shafted over and over again only to lose in double overtime would have won if this conference had an ounce of integrity.

It is absolutely absurd to watch that bounced INT early and lost replays which confirmed what everyone saw at game speed with their naked eye from anywhere in the stadium or on TV and not think that the fix was in.

It is absolutely absurd to watch a 50 yard FG kicked like 5 seconds after the play clock expired.

In overtime, do you call "leaping" on an extra point if the player did not even use another player to jump? He partially landed on a player but that happens on almost every extra point or FG. They incorrectly make an obscure call in overtime that will significantly impact the rest of overtime?

The bottom line is that this conference is a sham. Ohio St may have been better than any other team at the end of last season but they were no champion unless a champion needs referees to cheat to beat a 6-6 team. Penn State won that game and even the cheating conference knows it.

it really is scary just how bad that game was called. i watch so many games and there are always mistakes, but it's here and there, and replay gets the easy ones reversed 9 outta 10. in this game.. it was like, where do you start? absolutely one of the worst reffing jobs i've seen in my 50+ years of watching CFB.

btw, that's something else not shown on the espn "replay"... the FG "mistake". And also btw, I watched the other game, tamu vs arkansas and they showed it all. our game had "time constraints."

and to osu fans i say this... you had a great team that was getting better every week. i'm not taking anything away from them at all (they came thru in OT like champs)...

Ohio State went through THE ENTIRE 2014 BIG TEN SEASON WITHOUT A SINGLE OFFENSIVE HOLDING CALL.

You guys didnt hold once, huh?

I'm not saying they weren't big. I'm saying that who's to say they don't get those 10 points back anyway? You can't just subtract them and pretend the rest of the game plays out the same way.

Ohio State fans could make the argument that a call as bad or worse than any from the 2014 Penn State game cost them a perfect regular season in 2007. Or that a "fumble" against Purdue in 2012 almost cost them a perfect regular season that year (even though Braxton was on the ground on the ball when the Purdue player pulled it away from him). Or that any number of holding calls from any game they play in aren't called. Watch Joey Bosa get held every play. Or go back and watch Noah Spence get held every play. Or Vernon Gholston. Cam Hayward. Will Smith. The officials are incompetent, you'll get no argument from me on that. But there's enough bad calls to go around for everyone.

Well, there's your problem! ESPN is orders of magnitude more corrupt and inept than anything the Big Ten or Big Ten officiating has to offer. Look at their preseason FPI and tell me they're not pushing a certain agenda.

Seriously though, the Lions played their butts off in that game and deserve a ton of credit for battling back and fighting till the very end. And the refs were terrible in that game and, unfortunately for Penn State, the incompetence for the most part went against them. The conference handled it, like they do all officiating controversies, poorly. I'm not arguing any of that.

My only point was, you can't just take 10 points off the board and say Penn State wins.

Ohio State went through THE ENTIRE 2014 BIG TEN SEASON WITHOUT A SINGLE OFFENSIVE HOLDING CALL.

You guys didnt hold once, huh?

With 3 different running QBs I might add. Statistically speaking, the play with one of the greatest frequency of holding is when the play breaks down and the QB takes off running. Even with a traditional offense and a non-running QB it seems highly improbable.Has there EVER in the history of college football been a team that went through their entire conference play without a single offensive holding call?

With 3 different running QBs I might add. Statistically speaking, the play with one of the greatest frequency of holding is when the play breaks down and the QB takes off running. Even with a traditional offense and a non-running QB it seems highly improbable.Has there EVER in the history of college football been a team that went through their entire conference play without a single offensive holding call?

You can go through the conference season without a holding call when even this, right in front of the side judge, isn't a hold.

braxton-miller-penn-state.gif

Or when they need a key first down late in the game, the refs can pretend not to see this.

z1_zpsb7915d1d.jpg

Was watching the pinstripe bowl game last night.. had forgotten about the block in the back on the big return by BC... wide open field, refs everywhere, clear whack in the back... no call. that said, i thought for the most part that crew did ok. the diff between that crew and the one with osu was the diff between professional and barely qualified for middle school... if that.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos_h2...p4?versionId=mc2RoRlxj4bfR3VDm.LwBspQ40nU2AYQ

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT