ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting WeAre….Better — 2023 LB Kaveion Keys commits to PSU

The difference has really been at QB. We’ve done week at every other position but when you rate our QBs against tOSUs you see a massive disparity. Our kids are plucky game managers. Theirs are Heisman finalists

I don't think our QB difference is any greater than any other position. A QB's development and success are largely tied to his supporting cast. OSU's QB can stand back there without pressure and find guys downfield with great separation, so that makes them Heisman finalists. PSU's QB has to run for his life and throw to guys that are getting mugged. That's makes them ... injured.

This is the way it has been, and it's probably not going to change until we have a complete OL and a group of receivers that are comparable to that of OSU. The OL is only as good as its weakest link. It takes five plus a tight end or two, including a running back, who can all block.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Even at the tail end of his career, Joe went into Columbus and beat Top-10 O$U team.

Earlier, he went into Columbus (and in bowl games) and obliterated O$U. Try again.
Still had a losing record vs OSU. How is that possible? Did you expect the next coach to be better than Paterno?

Reactions: lazydave841
Still had a losing record vs OSU. How is that possible? Did you expect the next coach to be better than Paterno?
There is some legitimacy to the argument that regular horrible calls had some effect on that disparity. I'm not going to get into that discussion again, but we have had a bullseye on our back every since we joined this conference.

Why did he have a losing record vs OSU? If you would take joe over anyone then do you expect current or future psu coaches to be better than joe?
Five undefeated teams. Played for four NCs. His kids graduated and guys like Kirk H have stated Penn State players have been the most well spoken, classy players of any he's dealt with. And he was a big part of raising Penn State from a cow college to a world class university. He was the total package.

Which "teams with lesser talent" did Franklin lose to this season??

"routinely"
Nope,
Indiana?
Msu?
Iowa?
Pitt?
Maryland?
Northwestern?
Illinois?
Temple?
Kentucky?
Minnesota?
Arkansas?

These are teams that do not recruit better than PSU.

What is OSU and UM's records against these teams?

Every year Franklin shits the bed against a team he has no business losing to. This year, he choked against OSU, and was on verge against Northwestern and Purdue.

Why did he have a losing record vs OSU? If you would take joe over anyone then do you expect current or future psu coaches to be better than joe?

I think you and I are in agreement, but the poster you responded to did say "prime Paterno". What was his record before getting old and no longer even recruiting?

Indiana?
Msu?
Iowa?
Pitt?
Maryland?
Northwestern?
Illinois?
Temple?
Kentucky?
Minnesota?
Arkansas?

Every year Franklin shits the bed against a team he has no business losing to. This year, he choked against OSU, and was on verge against Northwestern and Purdue.

I'll say it again for you:

PSU did not lose to any of those teams this season. And when you win close games they are still wins.

Save your crying for another time.......

Last edited:
Five undefeated teams. Played for four NCs. His kids graduated and guys like Kirk H have stated Penn State players have been the most well spoken, classy players of any he's dealt with. And he was a big part of raising Penn State from a cow college to a world class university. He was the total package.
You did not answer the questions.

Why did Joe have a losing record vs OSU?

If Joe was the best do you really expect future coaches to be better?

Indiana?
Msu?
Iowa?
Pitt?
Maryland?
Northwestern?
Illinois?
Temple?
Kentucky?
Minnesota?
Arkansas?

10-2 which is better than Joe's career average. How many times did Joe chit the bed vs Iowa? Joes three losses a year were not all vs undefeated national camps.

You did not answer the questions.

Why did Joe have a losing record vs OSU?

If Joe was the best do you really expect future coaches to be better?
Because Joe played OSU a bunch when he was an old man past his prime and so was his staff.

How can you say PSU is on the verge of a title run? We don't even know who's coming back next year.
Agree. With next years schedule guessing 10-2, again. They will be underdogs vs. O$U and scUM. Terrible OOC (WVU, Del., UMASS) and home schedule in 2023. B1G home opponent’s are scUM, Iowa, Ind., and Rutgers.

Agree. With next years schedule guessing 10-2, again. They will be underdogs vs. O$U and scUM. Terrible OOC (WVU, Del., UMASS) and home schedule in 2023. B1G home opponent’s are scUM, Iowa, Ind., and Rutgers.
10-2? Unacceptable…we deserve better!

I am talking entire body of work. One year does not move the needle for me after the last 2.

Bigger issue for me is Franklin's teams collapsing when it matters. They should be 11-1 this year but, again, they are an afterthought.

Of course, recruiting is a step in right direction, but I'm done drinking the kool-aid. Top 15 or Top 10 classes haven't gotten PSU equal with OSU or UM, and they haven't erased bad losses to mediocre P5 programs. Until those 2 things change, PSU is a 2nd tier (Top 25 to Top 15) program spinning tires.

Not that interesting. Players burn tons of calories. 17 year olds are also still growing. He will be at 220 by fall. He might be 220 after Christmas dinner. 110lb freshman cheerleaders put on 15 lbs.
Speaking of recruiting disappointments, we do match up well with any of the southern speed at Cheerleader and wow are USC and UCLA going to raise the bar on cheerleader recruiting.

I am talking entire body of work. One year does not move the needle for me after the last 2.

Bigger issue for me is Franklin's teams collapsing when it matters. They should be 11-1 this year but, again, they are an afterthought.

Of course, recruiting is a step in right direction, but I'm done drinking the kool-aid. Top 15 or Top 10 classes haven't gotten PSU equal with OSU or UM, and they haven't erased bad losses to mediocre P5 programs. Until those 2 things change, PSU is a 2nd tier (Top 25 to Top 15) program spinning tires.
I’m sure the entire staff is greatly concerned that they don’t move the needle for you. Tops on their priority list.

I’m sure the entire staff is greatly concerned that they don’t move the needle for you. Tops on their priority list.
Haha. Fair enough and, true, what do I know? But this is a forum for debate and opinion sharing. In my opinion, getting the pom-poms out for a 4 star LB at this point means nothing. I'm in show me phase with this staff.

Haha. Fair enough and, true, what do I know? But this is a forum for debate and opinion sharing. In my opinion, getting the pom-poms out for a 4 star LB at this point means nothing. I'm in show me phase with this staff.
10-2….showed you.

How can you say PSU is on the verge of a title run? We don't even know who's coming back next year.
Olu is coming back. The Oline is improving every year with more talent on the way. We have TWO dynamic RBs, one with game changing speed. We have a QB with the potential to be one of the best in the nation. We have an LB who could be the best in the country, bar none. We have a DC who is top tier. IMO, within the next two years, we’ll make a run at it all.

Olu is coming back. The Oline is improving every year with more talent on the way. We have TWO dynamic RBs, one with game changing speed. We have a QB with the potential to be one of the best in the nation. We have an LB who could be the best in the country, bar none. We have a DC who is top tier. IMO, within the next two years, we’ll make a run at it all.
I'm not trying to be negative but a national championship run is rare. First we have to get by OSU & Michigan in the same year and there are holes to fill. IMO a lot depends on who leaves early for the NFL and who we pick up in the portal. Until then it's too early to say we can make a NC run.

I'm not trying to be negative but a national championship run is rare. First we have to get by OSU & Michigan in the same year and there are holes to fill. IMO a lot depends on who leaves early for the NFL and who we pick up in the portal. Until then it's too early to say we can make a NC run.
I realize it’s rare, but we’ve been building up to it and I think we’re close for the reasons I mentioned. I also think if we go 1-1 vs OSU and Michigan we can still be in the playoffs.

I realize it’s rare, but we’ve been building up to it and I think we’re close for the reasons I mentioned. I also think if we go 1-1 vs OSU and Michigan we can still be in the playoffs.
I agree that the 12 team playoffs give us a shot. We would have made a 12 team playoff this year.

Reactions: NedFromYork

The "last 2" were Covid and injuries to the leaders on D and O, unusual circumstances that most fans realize are not likely to happen again.

And they didn't seem to "collapse when it mattered" against Purdue. And make no mistake Purdue played very well against PSU with PSU's young players just getting their feet wet that game and Purdue's veteran QB almost pulled off the win for them. In fact Franklin's team didn't "collapse when it mattered" against 10 of the 12 teams they played so far this season.

You're just a glass half empty "fan". "They should be this" or "they should be that". As Joe used to say, the other teams are trying to win too.....

10-2

Name the coaches who want the job who have better records.
I am willing to forgive all of the crazy calls if he turns it around against the better teams. I'll even put up with the occasional upset if he can beat OSU at least 50% of the time. I am getting tired of leaving the Shoe every other year with those people lipping of to me.

10-2

Name the coaches who want the job who have better records.
I can't, probably because our recent history has not been successful in the biggest games. I'm guessing you'd have a lot of applicants if our kids could win the B10 regularly! Maybe we just aren't able to get the kids in who can do that. I don't have those answers.

Wish we had "fans" that were fans. :rolleyes:
Well, win or lose, I will still drive the 5 hours in and the 5 hours back, just to be at the games. And I'll still go to all the games near home just to be called every filthy name in the book. I'll still fly my PS flag at the house! I may not be the best "fan" in you guys eyes, but I keep coming back for more. 50 years of pulling for the Lions, through the good and bad, and sure hoping for 1 more title in my lifetime.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Well, win or lose, I will still drive the 5 hours in and the 5 hours back, just to be at the games. And I'll still go to all the games near home just to be called every filthy name in the book. I'll still fly my PS flag at the house! I may not be the best "fan" in you guys eyes, but I keep coming back for more. 50 years of pulling for the Lions, through the good and bad, and sure hoping for 1 more title in my lifetime.
Based on your posts, I would say you’ve experienced a lot more bad than good in those 50 years.

Just in a bad mood tonight! But let me ask, how many games have you attended at the Shoe?
One., but I’m going next year and I will be on the sidelines….unfortunately it will be the OSU sideline.

ADVERTISEMENT