ADVERTISEMENT

Weird how none of the loudmouths can explain how PSU's Offense sucks, but they lead the Conference in Points Scored......

Apparently we had a bunch of players with the flu vs NW and still scored 41. Truly that is impressive. I think it’s been so long since we played Paterno style offense with suffocating defense that we forget we won hundreds of games that way!

Not saying they suck but the Offense needs to improve to be able to beat OSU or Mich. The stats are scewed because of turnovers by the D, and starting field position created by the defense.

We could barely run the ball vs. NW, the last placed run D in the conference. If we can't run vs NW, not sure how we expect to run vs. OSU or Mich. And I don't think anyone on here would say that our pass game is clicking either.

If your run game is struggling, and your pass game isn't really clicking, how good is your offense at the end of the day?

Anone who is not concerned about the offense is just being ignorant. We really need to take these 2+ weeks to fix whatever we can on offense, because if we can't, we may find ourselves losing to Mich and OSU again.

This defense can keep us in any game, but if this team wants to get to the playoff, this offense must improve.

Not saying they suck but the Offense needs to improve to be able to beat OSU or Mich. The stats are scewed because of turnovers by the D, and starting field position created by the defense.

We could barely run the ball vs. NW, the last placed run D in the conference. If we can't run vs NW, not sure how we expect to run vs. OSU or Mich. And I don't think anyone on here would say that our pass game is clicking either.

If your run game is struggling, and your pass game isn't really clicking, how good is your offense at the end of the day?

Anone who is not concerned about the offense is just being ignorant. We really need to take these 2+ weeks to fix whatever we can on offense, because if we can't, we may find ourselves losing to Mich and OSU again.

This defense can keep us in any game, but if this team wants to get to the playoff, this offense must improve.

Typical hyperbolic bullshit that is utterly bereft of statistical support. PSU leads the Conference in First Downs (26 per game) and Time of Possession (as well as scoring) - PSU is 3rd in Total Offense (430.4 Yards Per Game) and is not that far behind the top 2 (MD 454.8 and duhO$U 447.5). They are in front of scUM, who is 5th with 411.4 YPG. Contrary to your claim, the Defense doesn't skew any of these numbers - they are purely driven by how the Offense does - do tell how the Defense helped PSU's Offense lead the league in First Downs Gained??? Or lead in controlling the ball (Time of Possession per game) and by a wide margin (4 minutes over next team which is neither scUM or duhO$U).

...... First Downs, Time Of Possession, Margin Of Victory......

Interesting stuff..... [insert eyeroll] LMFAO.
Have you seen the O/D rankings of the teams PSU has played not including Delaware? WVU is the best team so far. Illinois, Iowa, and NW are not very good teams and yet PSU has no big plays but for the KLS pass play in the very first series. Beau and Potts have the longest runs. Allar’s average pass is less than 7 yards. Worst in the NCAA power 5. Where’s the big arm? Issues are the same as in previous years. That’s what we are irritated about. We’ll see what three weeks of O$U prep delivers. Hope I’m wrong!

Typical hyperbolic bullshit that is utterly bereft of statistical support. PSU leads the Conference in First Downs (26 per game) and Time of Possession (as well as scoring) - PSU is 3rd in Total Offense (430.4 Yards Per Game) and is not that far behind the top 2 (MD 454.8 and duhO$U 447.5). They are in front of scUM, who is 5th with 411.4 YPG. Contrary to your claim, the Defense doesn't skew any of these numbers - they are purely driven by how the Offense does - do tell how the Defense helped PSU's Offense lead the league in First Downs Gained??? Or lead in controlling the ball (Time of Possession per game) and by a wide margin (4 minutes over next team which is neither scUM or duhO$U).
TOP and 1st downs are great but a large part of these is because we don't create explosive plays. Its going to be much harder to drive on OSU or Michigan without creating any explosive plays.

Do you think a recipe for success is to drive 80 yards in 15 plays every time vs OSU and Mich? Of course not. We will need some explosive plays to beat them, and we just havent done that this season.

TOP and 1st downs are great but a large part of these is because we don't create explosive plays. Its going to be much harder to drive on OSU or Michigan without creating any explosive plays.

Do you think a recipe for success is to drive 80 yards in 15 plays every time vs OSU and Mich? Of course not. We will need some explosive plays to beat them, and we just havent done that this season.
We need more points to beat them , period. However those points are earned doesn't matter to me. If you recall last year osu had a pick six deep in our territory.

I like explosive plays but I like wins the most. And no matter what we say here will not change anything.

The offense clearly doesn't pass the eye test. But they pass the stat test. We will find out in 2.5 weeks which one is correct. There are 12 games this season and only 2 of them matter. The offense could score 100 pt a game in the other 10 games but run the ball like we did Saturday inthe other two games and we're in trouble.

Reactions: psu00
The offense clearly doesn't pass the eye test. But they pass the stat test. We will find out in 2.5 weeks which one is correct. There are 12 games this season and only 2 of them matter. The offense could score 100 pt a game in the other 10 games but run the ball like we did Saturday inthe other two games and we're in trouble.
Agree. People on here 5 games in said to not worry that we couldn't run the ball in 2021, and that all that mattered was that we were 5-0 up to that point. These things catch up to you eventually, and they did that season and we finished 7-6.

This team is much better than that but the point is, if you struggle to run the ball and cannot create explosive plays, these things will catch up to you.

We must improve on offense whether it be personnel, or play calling or we will not beat OSU/Mich.

Allar threw 2 deep balls against NW and they were both badly overthrown. Like one of them landed 5 yards out of the back of the end zone. The other would have required Randy Moss level play to get feet and possession.

Maybe the staff has seen Allars lack of touch on deep throws right now and don’t want to waste a down?

A big reason for our above average offensive statistics is because in the second half defenses were worn down because their offenses were getting constant 3 and outs, and our D was creating turnovers.

Our offense in the first half vs. WVU, Iowa, NW, and Illinois struggled for the most part in the first half, I think we'd all agree. But in the 2nd half opposing defenses' were so worn down from being on the field the entire game that we were able to benefit from that.

Teams like OSU and Mich are not going to have 3 and outs every drive and their defenses will not be as worn down in the second half. We haven't proven to be able to do anything vs. fresher defenses for the most part.

Grind it out can work just fine. Look what that produced vs a highly regarded Iowa defense.

Explosive plays can help, but you're simply ignoring how successful PSU has been this year so far.

Reactions: Michlion and 81b&w
Allar threw 2 deep balls against NW and they were both badly overthrown. Like one of them landed 5 yards out of the back of the end zone. The other would have required Randy Moss level play to get feet and possession.

Maybe the staff has seen Allars lack of touch on deep throws right now and don’t want to waste a down?
Well if we can't throw deep we're not making the playoff. I hope to see at least 10 deep balls vs UMASS. With our lack of running game we're not going to be able to grind out games like we did to WVU, Iowa, Illinois and NW. These defenses were exhausted in the 2nd half bc of their own offenses going 3 and out every drive. OSU and Mich. will not be exhausted in the 2nd half, and we havent proven to be able to do anything in the first half/against fresh Ds.

Reactions: PSUfiji
Agree. People on here 5 games in said to not worry that we couldn't run the ball in 2021, and that all that mattered was that we were 5-0 up to that point. These things catch up to you eventually, and they did that season and we finished 7-6.

This team is much better than that but the point is, if you struggle to run the ball and cannot create explosive plays, these things will catch up to you.

We didn't have a RB in '21. We also lost our QB during the Iowa game. He wasn't right the rest of the season.

The throw to Cephas was late, but definitely catchable.

You could be right, but it could be Allar checking down and not taking the deepest route on play calls.

...... First Downs, Time Of Possession, Margin Of Victory......

Interesting stuff..... [insert eyeroll] LMFAO.
Statistics like this mean very little because football against top 10 opponents is a totally different game. PSU will have to be a lot more crisp and physical offensively than they were against NW. At the same time an elegant downfield passing game (like PSU has had a lot of years) also means very little because Top 10 teams with NFL-caliber corners tend to shut it down.

PSU's emphasis on short quick passing and no turnovers is a good thing going into Ohio State. They just need to get better. Receivers and QB can't be confused about what plays they're running.

Well if we can't throw deep we're not making the playoff. I hope to see at least 10 deep balls vs UMASS. With our lack of running game we're not going to be able to grind out games like we did to WVU, Iowa, Illinois and NW. These defenses were exhausted in the 2nd half bc of their own offenses going 3 and out every drive. OSU and Mich. will not be exhausted in the 2nd half, and we havent proven to be able to do anything in the first half/against fresh Ds.
Maybe this has been by design in the first five games, but our running plays and blocking schemes have been so rudimentary; it's basically just been a bunch of runs up the middle against teams that are stacking the box. We have run very few plays around the ends, and there never seems to be any intricate blocking by the line, like pulling. Also, I've always thought that it is more difficult to run well when you play with one back and the qb always is in the shotgun.

I know that it appears as if Singleton is not as explosive as last season, but it still seems like he has a burst when he catches passes in the flat and goes wide. Yet, we're using him like the Steelers used Bettis.

Maybe this has been by design in the first five games, but our running plays and blocking schemes have been so rudimentary; it's basically just been a bunch of runs up the middle against teams that are stacking the box. We have run very few plays around the ends, and there never seems to be any intricate blocking by the line, like pulling. Also, I've always thought that it is more difficult to run well when you play with one back and the qb always is in the shotgun.

I know that it appears as if Singleton is not as explosive as last season, but it still seems like he has a burst when he catches passes in the flat and goes wide. Yet, we're using him like the Steelers used Bettis.
Yeah I really hope that we open up the playbook but its concerning to me that we even struggled in the run game vs. NW, the last place run D in the big ten. I dont care if they are stacking the box, if you cant run vs NW you're not going to be able to run the ball vs OSU or Mich even with a normal base defense.

Reactions: psu00
Yeah I really hope that we open up the playbook but its concerning to me that we even struggled in the run game vs. NW, the last place run D in the big ten. I dont care if they are stacking the box, if you cant run vs NW you're not going to be able to run the ball vs OSU or Mich even with a normal base defense.
Yeah, I think you mentioned your concerns. A few times.

I'm 100% okay with people having the perception that our offense is "good" or maybe even looking at that stats and concluding "dominant." In my experience over the past 10 years with PSU, let your eyes tell the story more so than the stats. Example, when we couldn't really grind out short yardage runs against Villanova in '21, it was clear to me that we didn't have a dominant O-line and basically all of our backs bottomed out of the program. My eyes tell me this is not a dominant O-line again, especially with injuries. That's all well and good if we continue to win games obviously, but the stats don't mean much to me. Singleton runs into tackles....its not really up for debate....he rarely makes the first man miss unless he can outrun someone. It's fine, straight ahead runners can be effective in concert with big dominant O-lines(which we don't have). My eyes tell me this is a good offense, but our receivers don't get separation and our line doesn't create big holes or block to second level. We don't have runningbacks that make people miss in the hole(kaytron does, but he seems slower this year). Again, it's okay, it probably can win 10 games this year...maybe if the defense keeps getting turnovers it can beat one of the big two, but you know that will be a point of emphasis in those game.....make penn state plot down the field and beat us....don't give them extra possessions. A lot of games have been won at PSU employing great defense and ball control offense. Good, bad, or indifferent...that is our identity this year. Your eyes aren't deceiving you.

Were you the guy who said to not worry about our offense in 2021 when we were 5-0?
And I am still the guy saying the same thing. I am not fixated on one statistic or single factoid on which to draw erroneous conclusions like some myopic dickheads do.

I know it is work to do all the necessary consideration of facts and stats to come to credible conclusions. Lazy people and fixated people don't do the needed work. If you work hard at it, maybe someday you will be somewhat credible.

I'm 100% okay with people having the perception that our offense is "good" or maybe even looking at that stats and concluding "dominant." In my experience over the past 10 years with PSU, let your eyes tell the story more so than the stats. Example, when we couldn't really grind out short yardage runs against Villanova in '21, it was clear to me that we didn't have a dominant O-line and basically all of our backs bottomed out of the program. My eyes tell me this is not a dominant O-line again, especially with injuries. That's all well and good if we continue to win games obviously, but the stats don't mean much to me. Singleton runs into tackles....its not really up for debate....he rarely makes the first man miss unless he can outrun someone. It's fine, straight ahead runners can be effective in concert with big dominant O-lines(which we don't have). My eyes tell me this is a good offense, but our receivers don't get separation and our line doesn't create big holes or block to second level. We don't have runningbacks that make people miss in the hole(kaytron does, but he seems slower this year). Again, it's okay, it probably can win 10 games this year...maybe if the defense keeps getting turnovers it can beat one of the big two, but you know that will be a point of emphasis in those game.....make penn state plot down the field and beat us....don't give them extra possessions. A lot of games have been won at PSU employing great defense and ball control offense. Good, bad, or indifferent...that is our identity this year. Your eyes aren't deceiving you.
Hard to disagree with any of that...but the creator of this specific thread (as we all know) likes to utilize name calling, combined with total, aggregate stats, rather than diving deeper for his narrow minded perspective. All he has to do is listen to Yurcich yesterday on the media call who said MANY times how they must get better from an explosive play standpoint...including in the run game where he specifically mentioned the OL has to take it to another level. I'll trust him instead of the fan boys here.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Hard to disagree with any of that...but the creator of this specific thread (as we all know) likes to utilize name calling, combined with total, aggregate stats, rather than diving deeper for his narrow minded perspective. All he has to do is listen to Yurcich yesterday on the media call who said MANY times how they must get better from an explosive play standpoint...including in the run game where he specifically mentioned the OL has to take it to another level. I'll trust him instead of the fan boys here.
You sound like a whiner. Nothing you say right here will change any results on the field. Your opinion literally means nothing to the performance and I'll come on the game. I understand people like to talk football but when it's a constant stream of negativity and why we won't win he gets very tiring.

Every single fan wants to win every game, the same as the coaches and players. It's not that they can't improve, is that your constant whining does not do anything to change the situation.

I understand that you think if we don't get better in certain ways, we lose to Michigan and Ohio State. I maintain we need to score more points in both of them to win, and that can happen in variety of ways

In 2017, Iowa almost beat us when we played them on the road when we had Saquon Barkley, trace McSorley, Gesicki and others on that offense. It was known for explosive plays and it came down to a 4 yard touchdown pass on fourth down.

You can only show much information from watching previous games. It gives you an idea, but both sets of coaches will devise a game plan for those games, trying to stop us, and then score against us. And vice versa.

Complaining constantly about it will not make anything happen one way or another.

Reactions: royboy
If our OC insists on running the ball up the middle on first down, put Potts in there who is 5-9, 215, much more suited for that type of play. But, they keep doing it with Singleton which has constantly produced 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 9.

We must improve on offense whether it be personnel, or play calling or we will not beat OSU/Mich.
True. We see pretty much the same arguments every year. Team is winning but flaws are pointed out. O line and running game are struggling, lack of depth of quality deep threat receivers, poor tackling, giving up 3rd and long, etc. Some take criticism a bit too far. Others get irritated anytime any flaw is even discussed and the snide comments start flowing.

Then we get roughly 5-6 games into the season with OSU/ Michigan on deck. More concerns brought up. More “5-0” posts in response. We get the obligatory “they’re just holding the offense back for OSU and Michigan”. (If I had a dollar every time that was posted on this board. ;)).

We’ll see in a few weeks if this year is any different but I see a lot of the same concerns from last year with the O line and running game. That’s been a huge issue over the years in deciding these top tier games.

Last edited:
Have you seen the O/D rankings of the teams PSU has played not including Delaware? WVU is the best team so far. Illinois, Iowa, and NW are not very good teams and yet PSU has no big plays but for the KLS pass play in the very first series. Beau and Potts have the longest runs. Allar’s average pass is less than 7 yards. Worst in the NCAA power 5. Where’s the big arm? Issues are the same as in previous years. That’s what we are irritated about. We’ll see what three weeks of O$U prep delivers. Hope I’m wrong!

More nonsensical bullshit - every other b1g team has played equally weak, or weaker, schedules to this point (especially scUM), "schedule strength" does not explain why PSU is leading the Conference in all of these Offensive Stats - complete bullshit that it does when all of the other Conference teams have played equally weak, or weaker, schedules.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
More nonsensical bullshit - every other b1g team has played equally weak, or weaker, schedules to this point (especially scUM), "schedule strength" does not explain why PSU is leading the Conference in all of these Offensive Stats - complete bullshit that it does when all of the other Conference teams have played equally weak, or weaker, schedules.
That's not true--true about Michigan but not true about all teams especially not Ohio State
Again, your bias prevents you from being honest

True. We see pretty much the same arguments every year. Team is winning but flaws are pointed out. O line and running game are struggling, lack of depth of quality deep threat receivers, poor tackling, etc. Some take criticism a bit too far. Others get irritated anytime any flaw is even discussed and the snide comments start flowing.

Then we get roughly 5-6 games into the season with OSU/ Michigan on deck. More concerns brought up. More “5-0” posts in response. We get the obligatory “they’re just holding the offense back for OSU and Michigan”. (If I had a dollar every time that was posted on this board. ;)).

We’ll see in a few weeks if this year is any different but I see a lot of the same concerns from last year with the O line and running game. That’s been a huge issue over the years in deciding these top tier games.
I don't see the same things happening this season as last season ... The Clifford 2nd half swoon in important games and the DTs getting manhandled were the issues most contributing to the big game losses last season.

The last 4 games of the season are the most important to measure teams growth and dictate their destiny. All schools, if they can front load the season with cupcakes and experiment as well as try to season new players into the game for development.

Level headed fans watch the game within the this frame work of reality.

Extremist fans are what they are and post nonsense at both ends of the spectrum. Screamers, scream ... Here is a big 🥱 to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT