ADVERTISEMENT

What are we to make of our receiver situation?

Yet mamy fans want to hire rhule golden or schiano who are batting .000. 0 wins vs the top 10.

You really don't understand stats. Teams 6-10 have a combined losing record vs the top 10. The top 5 are the teams with a winning record vs the top ten.

The field during the regular season is only about 10-110 vs the top 10.

maybe you should put up some money and psu can move into the top 5 in coaching salaries and then we can buy some top coordinators. Psu has had coaches poached to lsu, Tennessee, Bama and others.
You are obsessed with Rhule and Golden since that is all you mention when tryng to backup your circular points, which make no sense. You are stuck on this Top 10 rhetoric too. As I said previously which you seem to avoid, every HC starts from somewhere, usually as a coordinator or position coach. So, this idea that they wake up one day and become a proven HC is ridiculous. Did UGA really know that Kirby Smart, who at the the time was the hot name, would pan out? Probably not. How can anyone ever know. But, they took a shot since Richt (similarly to JF) could never get UGA over the hump. So, UGA made a move. As did FSU, finally landing a guy in Norvell. People whine and moan and make fun of Day, but he has been in multiple playoffs - and if he had a FG kicker, would have won a natl title. So your lack of understanding that hiring a 'hot or successful coordinator name' while not guaranteeing better results, is also, part of the typical and natural process most of the time.

You just infer that keeping JF is better than any other option b/c we know what he provides, whereas venturing into the land of the unknown is too risky. It's like playing not to lose rather than going for the win.

Reactions: ryoder1
Rhule is the guy you and many fans wanted to hire. He has zero top 10 wins for his career.

The top 10 rhetoric was not started by me. You bring up top 10 rehetoric and then dont want to talk about it when someone else brings up the stats.

Name any coach in america who you want who would take the job! Name anyone and we will track them.

For everyone one Kirby Smart there are going to be dozens of coaches who never win a top 10 game in their careers. Kirby smart at Georgia will outperform Kirby Smart at PSU 9 out of 10 times. Georgia has three times the recruiting budget and they also have a lot more talent in that region. There is a reason PSU coaches get poached by the SEC and PSU is not poaching them from the SEC.

You are confused if you think PSU is Alabama.

Rhule is the guy you and many fans wanted to hire. He has zero top 10 wins for his career.

The top 10 rhetoric was not started by me. You bring up top 10 rehetoric and then dont want to talk about it when someone else brings up the stats.

Name any coach in america who you want who would take the job! Name anyone and we will track them.

For everyone one Kirby Smart there are going to be dozens of coaches who never win a top 10 game in their careers. Kirby smart at Georgia will outperform Kirby Smart at PSU 9 out of 10 times. Georgia has three times the recruiting budget and they also have a lot more talent in that region. There is a reason PSU coaches get poached by the SEC and PSU is not poaching them from the SEC.

Find where I said I want Rhule...you are broad brush generalizing as usual. And, since you typically lack context, Rhule has also coached at Temple and Baylor! Not exactly programs that play many Top 10 opponents, nor have the chops to beat them. But, I haven't ever pounded on the table and say "Hire him!" as you think I have.

Also, if you think finishing, forget the Top 10, how about landing in the Top 12 to earn a playoff spot, is too difficult and JF just is too hamstrung at PSU to get it done, I think you have undervalued the resources PSU has. Is it SEC like where they just blow money away like the GDP of some countries, no. But, you make it like PSU is Slippery Rock. Maybe we would fundraise better for football if JF even provided a modicum of success and belief to the fans that he isn't a word salad guy who constantly has his team underprepared in big games, or bowls.

What PSU coaches are getting poached by the SEC? Last I checked in recent years, Moorhead, Pry, Diaz, Rahne, all are HC's of non-SEC schools. Sean Spencer couldn't hack it at UF and now TAMU hired him. So, wow, one example of a guy who can't stick anywhere.

Shoop and Banks to Tennessee is probably some of what he is referring to. Gattis to Bama comes to mind. It's happened.
Ok...Shoop and Banks aren't exactly studs...Gattis is a train wreck, but point taken.

I mean I listed 4 who became HC's, who no doubt Voltz won't consider.

Gatti was an excellent position coach/recruiter for WRs but is not a good OC.
Yes he was...but has been a disaster as an OC at multiple places. Voltzs point isn't a good one in general about SEC poaching from JF.

Ok...Shoop and Banks aren't exactly studs...Gattis is a train wreck, but point taken.

I mean I listed 4 who became HC's, who no doubt Voltz won't consider.

Shoop was highly sought after when he left. UT paid well for him. Results after don't mean much, unless we desire to say JF makes people look better than they are?

Banks has been fine. UT is on their best stretch in, what, 20 years? If not for him, we probably don't have our Mike and Nickel this year.

Gattis was GREAT until he went beyond position coach. Again, another astute assessment by JF, who many ragged for not promoting him.

Yes he was...but has been a disaster as an OC at multiple places. Voltzs point isn't a good one in general about SEC poaching from JF.

My point is right on mark. YOu even admit Gattis was a great wr coach. He was then poached. Exactly my point.

It does not really matter if they were successful in other roles. The fact is they were good here and PSU lost them over money.

My point is right on mark. YOu even admit Gattis was a great wr coach. He was then poached. Exactly my point.

It does not really matter if they were successful in other roles. The fact is they were good here and PSU lost them over money.
Ok and...I also gave u four names who became HCs at non SEC schools. So, the SEC poaching u claim, while yes happened, not as demonstrative as u make it out to be. I'm more concerned about the guys we have...specifically whiffing on WR coaches.

Find where I said I want Rhule...you are broad brush generalizing as usual. And, since you typically lack context, Rhule has also coached at Temple and Baylor! Not exactly programs that play many Top 10 opponents, nor have the chops to beat them. But, I haven't ever pounded on the table and say "Hire him!" as you think I have.

Also, if you think finishing, forget the Top 10, how about landing in the Top 12 to earn a playoff spot, is too difficult and JF just is too hamstrung at PSU to get it done, I think you have undervalued the resources PSU has. Is it SEC like where they just blow money away like the GDP of some countries, no. But, you make it like PSU is Slippery Rock. Maybe we would fundraise better for football if JF even provided a modicum of success and belief to the fans that he isn't a word salad guy who constantly has his team underprepared in big games, or bowls.

What PSU coaches are getting poached by the SEC? Last I checked in recent years, Moorhead, Pry, Diaz, Rahne, all are HC's of non-SEC schools. Sean Spencer couldn't hack it at UF and now TAMU hired him. So, wow, one example of a guy who can't stick anywhere.
Rhule could be pretty good. Who knows. He has never had the talent level Franklin has at Penn State. His argument is so weak because many good coaches don't have the same level of talent as Penn State. Take Mile Elko now at A&M. When he was at Duke he would have lost to Bama every year so if he played them and lost according to Voltz's metric he would be a bad head coach for Penn State because he had a bad record vs top ten teams.

The other issue is any decent coach he will simply argue would never go to Penn State until you get to a coach equal to Franklin and then he can pull his..."see they aren't any better than our beloved James".

Also there are coordinators out there that are under the radar that could have little to no coaching experience who could be really good or guys from non power 5 schools or lesser power 5 schools. But when you throw up the requirement that they need to be great in top ten games because that is his weasel crutch to slither out of every argument then they don't have them because they have not had an opportunity. Look at Kirby Smart who he conveniently explains away as a unicorn never to be found again and that Georgia somehow is light years ahead of Penn State in resources, money, fan support, etc so we never can compare ourselves to Georgia or any SEC school.

This is the bottom line. James Franklin gets an "F" for his coaching in big games. His record versus Ohio State and Michigan is piss poor. Again piss poor. All these NFL guys and not even one playoff appearance, nada. At some point and I am not saying now but in the future if he cannot demonstrate a better ability to win these crucial games versus teams of equal talent and at least occasionally spring an upset versus a better team then he needs to be canned. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and never changing. It would be insane to watch Franklin continue this horrid 15% record versus top ten teams and not do anything.

We better beat USC in LA this season. The perfect game for James to start reversing this trend. USC should be pretty good, maybe not top 10 but still ranked probably in the top 20. Wisky and UDub are other opportunities. And of course the Buckeyes. He does not need to win them all but for the love of God please win some of them. I want at least 3 of 4 but probably will be accused of being some delusional fan.

Rhule could be pretty good. Who knows. He has never had the talent level Franklin has at Penn State. His argument is so weak because many good coaches don't have the same level of talent as Penn State. Take Mile Elko now at A&M. When he was at Duke he would have lost to Bama every year so if he played them and lost according to Voltz's metric he would be a bad head coach for Penn State because he had a bad record vs top ten teams.

The other issue is any decent coach he will simply argue would never go to Penn State until you get to a coach equal to Franklin and then he can pull his..."see they aren't any better than our beloved James".

Also there are coordinators out there that are under the radar that could have little to no coaching experience who could be really good or guys from non power 5 schools or lesser power 5 schools. But when you throw up the requirement that they need to be great in top ten games because that is his weasel crutch to slither out of every argument then they don't have them because they have not had an opportunity. Look at Kirby Smart who he conveniently explains away as a unicorn never to be found again and that Georgia somehow is light years ahead of Penn State in resources, money, fan support, etc so we never can compare ourselves to Georgia or any SEC school.

This is the bottom line. James Franklin gets an "F" for his coaching in big games. His record versus Ohio State and Michigan is piss poor. Again piss poor. All these NFL guys and not even one playoff appearance, nada. At some point and I am not saying now but in the future if he cannot demonstrate a better ability to win these crucial games versus teams of equal talent and at least occasionally spring an upset versus a better team then he needs to be canned. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and never changing. It would be insane to watch Franklin continue this horrid 15% record versus top ten teams and not do anything.

We better beat USC in LA this season. The perfect game for James to start reversing this trend. USC should be pretty good, maybe not top 10 but still ranked probably in the top 20. Wisky and UDub are other opportunities. And of course the Buckeyes. He does not need to win them all but for the love of God please win some of them. I want at least 3 of 4 but probably will be accused of being some delusional fan.
Million dollar post. Agree with it all. Prepare for the onslaught coming lol.

Reactions: ryoder1

What are we to make of our receiver situation?​

A. HUDSON CLEMENT:eek::eek::eek:🤣🤣🤣​

I hope so. I actually thought the RB who just portaled should have been tried at WR.
Doesn’t PSU have enough < 5’10” WR’s??

And he came to play RB and has some say in what position he plays……

Reactions: PSU4U

WHAT grade do you give Rhule in big games? 0 career top 10 wins? Do you think James will be recruiting for him?

Do you think a new coach at psu will suddenly have Alabama talent?

WHAT grade do you give Rhule in big games? 0 career top 10 wins? Do you think James will be recruiting for him?

Do you think a new coach at psu will suddenly have Alabama talent?
Again, Rhule has not had the talent James has had so can't use that metric. I am not saying Rhule is the definitive answer. But he could be, you don't know. The broad point is that at some point, I don't know when (that ridiculous contract affects all of this), but if our ineptitude of 3-17 versus top ten teams and general failures in big games continues then change has to occur. But you can keep on believing what you want to believe that James should never be replaced and there is no way anyone else could possibly do better.

Reactions: scrivener
Obviously. He left.
Yep, that was the point. He is a RB and when he saw that his path to playing RB at PSU was blocked by Wallace, Martin, and the three 2025 RB commits he left. So it seems he did not want to try out at WR, or CB, or any other position. He left, so he could play RB in college football. So ideas like "I believe the staff should try him at WR" are not realistic as most college football players don't seem open to position changes and the transfer portal allows them to easily find at team where they can play the position they likely played in H.S. and trained to play at PSU.

Reactions: PSU4U
Yep, that was the point. He is a RB and when he saw that his path to playing RB at PSU was blocked by Wallace, Martin, and the three 2025 RB commits he left. So it seems he did not want to try out at WR, or CB, or any other position. He left, so he could play RB in college football. So ideas like "I believe the staff should try him at WR" are not realistic as most college football players don't seem open to position changes and the transfer portal allows them to easily find at team where they can play the position they likely played in H.S. and trained to play at PSU.
I completely understand a young mans desire. It remains to be seen that he's a RB. Currently at his weight and strength he's not an RB at this level. Can he get where he needs to be, maybe, maybe not.

I always saw him as a receiver at PS because of those issues. He displayed good hands, and his moves and speed are unquestionable. I'm sad that he wouldn't consider the move, assuming the staff would have considered it. Maybe they didn't. His move to ECU is a good one for him and I hope he blows that league up. I really wanted him at PS.

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT