ADVERTISEMENT

What are you binge watching?

How much of a Star Wars geek do you have to be for The Mandalorian? I'm worried that I'm not sufficiently versed in all of the history to grasp the references.

Not terribly so. You'll miss some things but if you like the genre (sci-fi) you should be ok.

Reactions: BBrown
How much of a Star Wars geek do you have to be for The Mandalorian? I'm worried that I'm not sufficiently versed in all of the history to grasp the references.

I don't think you have to be a geek. I think its pretty much a Western in Outer space. I mean the guy playing Mando even sounds like Clint Eastwood and some of the Episode titles have been "The Gunslinger", "The Martial...
But I did have to go down the rabbit hole of Star Wars lore on the internet.
They have taken a lot from both the animated series and the video games (neither of which I knew anything about) and incorporated it. And John Favreau is a definite fan boy and is treating the series as such.
I would give it a shot and then just google some things or characters you don't know.
The biggest issue for me at first was when exactly is this taking place in the Star Wars timeline.
This might help.

The Mandalorian takes place in 9 ABY – nine years after A New Hope and, interestingly, five years after the Emperor’s defeat in Return of the Jedi. Here is the full picture of where The Mandalorian takes place in the Star Wars timeline – as per current canon.

• Star Wars: The Phantom Menace – 32 BBY
  • Star Wars: Attack of the Clones – 22 BBY
  • The Clone Wars – 22 BBY-19 BBY
  • Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith – 19 BBY
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story – 13 BBY – 10 BBY
  • Star Wars Rebels – 5 BBY – 1 BBY
  • A New Hope – 0 BBY
  • The Empire Strikes Back – 3 ABY
  • Return of the Jedi – 4 ABY
  • The Mandalorian – 9 ABY
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens – 34 ABY
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi – 34 ABY
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – 35 ABY
The episodes are only about 35-40 minutes long. I was hooked immediately.

Reactions: hlstone
I don't think you have to be a geek. I think its pretty much a Western in Outer space. I mean the guy playing Mando even sounds like Clint Eastwood and some of the Episode titles have been "The Gunslinger", "The Martial...
They have taken a lot from both the animated series and the video games (neither of which I knew anything about) and incorporated it. And John Favreau is a definite fan boy and is treating the series as such.
I would give it a shot and then just google some things or characters you don't know.
The biggest issue for me at first was when exactly is this taking place in the Star Wars timeline.
This might help.

The Mandalorian takes place in 9 ABY – nine years after A New Hope and, interestingly, five years after the Emperor’s defeat in Return of the Jedi. Here is the full picture of where The Mandalorian takes place in the Star Wars timeline – as per current canon.

• A New Hope – 0 BBY
Yeah, it might be too much for me. I don't ever recall Mandalorians being mentioned in the movies I saw. My kid told me that Boba Fett and Jago Fett are Mandalorians but I missed where that was explained and its significance in the movies.

Yeah, it might be too much for me. I don't ever recall Mandalorians being mentioned in the movies I saw. My kid told me that Boba Fett and Jago Fett are Mandalorians but I missed where that was explained and its significance in the movies.

Your kid is correct. I don't think they ever mentioned Boba Fett as a Mandalorian in Empire but I know it is in in the others and it is kind of significant in Attack of the Clones and Clone Wars.

Your kid is correct. I don't think they ever mentioned Boba Fett as a Mandalorian in Empire but I know it is in in the others and it is kind of significant in Attack of the Clones and Clone Wars.
Yeah, I didn't watch Clone Wars (maybe I need to do that first) and I searched the script of Attack of the Clones for "Mandalorian" and couldn't find it

Yeah, I didn't watch Clone Wars (maybe I need to do that first) and I searched the script of Attack of the Clones for "Mandalorian" and couldn't find it

If you can find a synopsis of the movie read it but I wouldn't bother with it other wise.
Give the series a go and if you have questions your kid sounds like he/she could answer them or just google it..."This is the way".... insider Mandalorian joke. ;)

I am going to give this a try later. I am still binge watching The Mandalorian and I love it.
So much better than any of the Star Wars movies after Empire Strikes Back.
I haven't started it yet but I hear it's very good. That said, of the new movies if you haven't watched Rogue 1 you definitely should. It's the best one aside from the original trilogy.

It's pronounced Midichlorians. :D

I kid. My goodness were some of the newer movies a pile of garbage.

Am I the only one that doesn’t binge watch anything? If you can’t tell the story in an hour, forget it.

We just started Peaky Blinders, so far I’m hooked. I love the 1920-30’s time period.

I’d fit in The Netflix Docs “Don’t f*ck with cats” and “evil genius” for a change of pace. They are both fascinating and evil genius is based in Erie. Truth really is stranger than fiction.

Reactions: wbcincy
This might help.

• A New Hope – 0 BBY

Im very confused. I haven’t started season 2 yet, but I thought that was baby Yoda. How can that be if it’s taking place post original trilogy.

Im very confused. I haven’t started season 2 yet, but I thought that was baby Yoda. How can that be if it’s taking place post original trilogy.

It’s not his actual name, it’s just the name fans gave him since he doesn’t have one in the show. Same species as yoda, different individual.

Reactions: wbcincy and BBrown
Am I the only one that doesn’t binge watch anything? If you can’t tell the story in an hour, forget it.

That’s the way I’m with podcasts. I wanna listen to some popular podcasts, but when I see the episodes are north of 1.5 hours I’m out

We just started Peaky Blinders, so far I’m hooked. I love the 1920-30’s time period.

I’d fit in The Netflix Docs “Don’t f*ck with cats” and “evil genius” for a change of pace. They are both fascinating and evil genius is based in Erie. Truth really is stranger than fiction.

Just watched Don’t f**k with cats last night........really well done, truth is always stranger than fiction. Can’t wait to watch Evil Genius.
Thx for the recommendation.

My wife and finished up the Soprano's last month on HBO go. Now staying in place, we just finished Ozarks on Netflix, which I highly recommend, and prior to that, Hunters on Amazon (another good one).

We tried one of those Game of Thrones / Vikings rip offs..... that didn't work, then there was this show set in England about some somewhat attractive gal and her misadventures. That didn't work either. So much so, I don't even know the name. It was on Amazon.

We have at least 8 more days..........
Charlie Chan on You Tube. Along with the old cowboy movies.

Watching Ted Lasso. Surprised it is less comedy, less sports than I thought Good show regarding self confidence, teamwork and just plain being nice. It’s not the best show I’ve ever seen but it is good and growing on me.

Reactions: jmorovich
That’s the way I’m with podcasts. I wanna listen to some popular podcasts, but when I see the episodes are north of 1.5 hours I’m out

Some podcast content is also posted on YouTube. You can watch/listen to the podcast content at faster speeds, up to 2X I believe. That can substantially cut down the time you need to invest.

Reactions: uscgPSU
I watched season 9 of Letterkenny last night. It was only 7 episodes or so but I like the show, as tough as it is at times to understand.

Anna Sigga is back on ID Channel. Something about a hot, crooked, former prosecutor that is irresistible.

1*KLjLT4RGDMMmyz95nOk4EA.jpeg

My wife and finished up the Soprano's last month on HBO go. Now staying in place, we just finished Ozarks on Netflix, which I highly recommend, and prior to that, Hunters on Amazon (another good one).

We tried one of those Game of Thrones / Vikings rip offs..... that didn't work, then there was this show set in England about some somewhat attractive gal and her misadventures. That didn't work either. So much so, I don't even know the name. It was on Amazon.

We have at least 8 more days..........
Nick Perry “ Bowling for Dollars” on KDKA!

I watched season 9 of Letterkenny last night. It was only 7 episodes or so but I like the show, as tough as it is at times to understand.
Did you crack open a Pupper's first?

I always watch it with the captions on, fast talking with thick accents makes it difficult to understand at times.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Watched 5 episodes of Cobra Kai on Netflix last night . Irreverantly funny. The plot is essentially the main characters in The Karate Kid are now adults. Ralph Macchio is a 40 yr old successful car dealer, and the blonde bad guy is a working class stiff struggling to make ends meet and he decides to open a dojo.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdking001
Started watching hinterland on Netflix as wife likes British crime drama. Jury still out as characters not melding w each other yet, but the show has the classic moral ambiguity that is the hallmark of the better British shows.

Reactions: Nitwit
Not watching anything. Can't stand TV - esp. commercials. Gave it up in 2016 when I moved to this little farm. Always something interesting to do. Last 3 mornings, I was out following and taking pics of animal tracks in the snow.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

Reactions: Obliviax
Not watching anything. Can't stand TV - esp. commercials. Gave it up in 2016 when I moved to this little farm. Always something interesting to do. Last 3 mornings, I was out following and taking pics of animal tracks in the snow.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
Do you listen to the Kent State games on the radio?

The Keepers on Netflix is DISTURBING.
The Ripper was okay, mostly about detective errors.

I found The Keepers to be one of the best documentaries I‘ve watched. I grew up near the neighborhoods involved and worked with a few women who attended the school. Lots of tenticles to this story and still more questions than answers about exactly how far flung this scandal extends.

Binge watched Family Feud episodes the last couple days, with our son home for Christmas.

One really funny thing last evening, when Steve Harvey asked a young looking, tall and athletic man what he did for a living. It was DJ Hackett, who said he was a retired NFL football player. WR for Seattle. Hackett went on to say how the ref's robbed them of the Super Bowl win, showing his runner up ring that he said should have been a Super Bowl (winner's) ring, since they were robbed in 2009. As he was saying that his wife was whispering audibly "five".

So we looked it up, his career and when he played in the SB. It was the 2005 season, with the game in January 2006 against the Steelers. Hackett could not remember within 4 years when he played in the most memorable and important game in his career. Pretty funny. At least his wife was trying to help him. He didn't do too well on the questions either.....

In the search for Hackett on the web it comes right up that the Family Feud episode was in April 2014, not too many years after his playing days were over..... He won't be remembered for his SB performance, but at least he has some other headlines....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT