ADVERTISEMENT

What are you binge watching?

https://www.netflix.com/title/80180182

Norsemen on Netflix is a comedy. So far only 2 seasons and the episodes are about 30 minutes. Norwegian cast and they do the episodes in Norwegian and again in English. One of my favorite shows. There is supposed to be a prequel but it is not available yet. Give it a shot, you will be glad you did.

We recently binged on Gentleman Jack. I believe it's a BBC One and HBO co-production. It's set in England in 1832, and features a rather interesting landowner who is also a lesbian. So far, only Season 1 is available, and features 8 episodes. Season 2 has been commissioned; not sure when it will be released.

The story is loosely based on the real diaries of Anne Lister (the main character), which were written in code so that her sexual proclivities would not be obvious to those that stumbled upon her diaries.

I recommend it.

We recently binged on Gentleman Jack. I believe it's a BBC One and HBO co-production. It's set in England in 1832, and features a rather interesting landowner who is also a lesbian. So far, only Season 1 is available, and features 8 episodes. Season 2 is been commissioned; not sure when it will be released.

The story is loosely based on the real diaries of Anne Lister (the main character), which were written in code so that her sexual proclivities would not be obvious to those that stumbled upon her diaries.

I recommend it.

I tried watching that series while it was on. Just didn't work out although her character is quite a character.

I hadn't realized there was a "season 3" of Twin Peaks. My wife and I "watched" it..... Same result as last time. Now there is buzz that Agent Cooper would come back for "season 4"

The wife and I have been watching Shamelss on Netflix, which is a good show. Pretty funny at times. After she heads to bed, I’ve been watching Dark, which is a dubbed German show. Kind of Stranger Things mixed with Lost, in a much more tense setting.

Of course, September 4th (?) I’ll head back to Amazon Prime to watch Season 2 of The Boys.

I am finishing up re-watching S4 of The Wire. Episode 5 was written by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone,...). Dennis and I were high school classmates and I distinctly remember sitting next to him in English Literature.

finally giving in and started on Episode 1 of The Wire on Monday. Crazy to think that even though it was only 2002, it looks prehistoric. Beepers, minimal computers, they are typing on typewriters, no smart phones, vanilla folders with all the information in them for the police, using pay phones. Crazy to look at the massive change in society in less than 20 years. If you went the other direction in 2002 and watch a show from 18 years earlier in 1984, other than how the cars look, the show would not have changed that much.

Anyone watch Fleabag? The first few episodes are shocking as female lead is alcoholic wh&re..then you feel sorry for her life...then you cheer for her. Absolutely brilliant dark comedic writing. Not much effort to watch as only a few seasons and 30m. Raally enjoyed it. Kind of like anti-Sex and City but similiar storyline.

finally giving in and started on Episode 1 of The Wire on Monday. Crazy to think that even though it was only 2002, it looks prehistoric. Beepers, minimal computers, they are typing on typewriters, no smart phones, vanilla folders with all the information in them for the police, using pay phones. Crazy to look at the massive change in society in less than 20 years. If you went the other direction in 2002 and watch a show from 18 years earlier in 1984, other than how the cars look, the show would not have changed that much.
It is also a bit uncomfortable to see the police rough up some of the dealers, etc... There is one scene where they load a bunch into a police van and spray pepper spray into the cage and shut the door.

Anyone watch Fleabag? The first few episodes are shocking as female lead is alcoholic wh&re..then you feel sorry for her life...then you cheer for her. Absolutely brilliant dark comedic writing. Not much effort to watch as only a few seasons and 30m. Raally enjoyed it. Kind of like anti-Sex and City but similiar storyline.

Loved Fleabag. Both seasons were great.

Reactions: Locolion
It is also a bit uncomfortable to see the police rough up some of the dealers, etc... There is one scene where they load a bunch into a police van and spray pepper spray into the cage and shut the door.

yeah, on episode 4 or 5 an already twice there has been two scenes with police roughing up a young black kid dealer and another where the cop pistol whips a kid and then the police cover it up. that would not play well today.

We recently binged on Gentleman Jack. I believe it's a BBC One and HBO co-production. It's set in England in 1832, and features a rather interesting landowner who is also a lesbian. So far, only Season 1 is available, and features 8 episodes. Season 2 has been commissioned; not sure when it will be released.

I recommend it.
I just got Acorn tv on Amazon tv. Some really great series on there.

I just got Acorn tv on Amazon tv. Some really great series on there.

Agreed. So far during the pandemic, we've watched every season of Doc Martin, and every season of A Place To Call Home. Both of them milk the plot lines for pretty much everything they can, but they are very captivating.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Agreed. So far during the pandemic, we've watched every season of Doc Martin, and every season of A Place To Call Home. Both of them milk the plot lines for pretty much everything they can, but they are very captivating.
Yeah, they are addicting but they do set the plots by a stopwatch. Five minutes in someone has a strange disease. Seven minutes in Ellingham kicks the dog. Twelve minutes in Bert does something stupid. You get the idea. Nice enough but totally forgettable. I’m not criticizing your choice of show, as I’ve myself seen just about every episode. I blame my wife, although I wonder what she’d have to say about that.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
It’s probably been covered earlier but we’re halfway through the first season of Dark. Man, it’s really good. My wife and I watch it while we’re having dinner. Subtitles definitely help you slow down your eating. I love time travel mysteries so this one hooked me from the beginning. The artwork is also amazing. The shots are very well thought out. I know nothing about where it will go and want to keep it that way.

Reactions: 1 and LionJim
Yeah, they are addicting but they do set the plots by a stopwatch. Five minutes in someone has a strange disease. Seven minutes in Ellingham kicks the dog. Twelve minutes in Bert does something stupid. You get the idea. Nice enough but totally forgettable. I’m not criticizing your choice of show, as I’ve myself seen just about every episode. I blame my wife, although I wonder what she’d have to say about that.

Yeah, with Doc Martin, it seems as though they could have done the entire story in @ 3 seasons; I believe they're currently filming (or it's been commissioned) season 10. And yet, the characters are so captivating that even as you roll your eyes at their latest antics, you're sucked into the next show. ;)

A Place To Call Home wasn't as predictable, but it also dealt with a broader number of characters, and was, I believe, spread out over more than a decade.

watch

Thanks to previous recommendations from this board, we are up to Season 5 of The Americans. One more season to watch before I ask for more recos! Really enjoying this series.

I’m now into Babylon Berlin, a German show dubbed in English on Netflix. It’s done during the period after WWI in Germany and involves political corruption, police investigations, and Russian gold hidden on a train. There is a lot of weird sex and it’s somewhat violent. There are several seasons and I’m early in season 2.

Other shows I like are Rake, a fun British Lawyer show, The Repair Shop, an amazing show which features antique restoration, Feeding Phil a travel and dining show from the creator of Everyone Loves Raymond , Valhalla, a cop show based in Iceland, and DSI Banks, a British detective show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshoe
On the fiction series side, we are finishing Broadchurch, which is good but perhaps slightly overrated. Everyone is a suspect and lots of layered storylines.

I started watching that this week. Good show, a little creepy with the undertones in season 1. But it was a show that got me into it in ep 1. Too many shows take a while to get going.

I’m now into Babylon Berlin, a German show dubbed in English on Netflix. It’s done during the period after WWI in Germany and involves political corruption, police investigations, and Russian gold hidden on a train. There is a lot of weird sex and it’s somewhat violent. There are several seasons and I’m early in season 2.

Other shows I like are Rake, a fun British Lawyer show, The Repair Shop, an amazing show which features antique restoration, Feeding Phil a travel and dining show from the creator of Everyone Loves Raymond , Valhalla, a cop show based in Iceland, and DSI Banks, a British detective show.
Nitpicking ... that I am. Rake is about an Australian lawyer. I too would recommend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT