ADVERTISEMENT

What changes would you like to see to our football program to improve success in the near future?

Sorry Gambit, We agree on a lot but not this. The capacity is what makes the advantage. Can't change that.

Yet, of all the good ideas people are expressing here, the stadium thing seems to be the one that has actually had some discussion going on about it in official circles. I have no reason to doubt PitV on this. Two people on this board I never doubt: PitV (on physical plant issues) and Tom McA (on what is going on behind the scenes.)

I can see that it would be a tough initiative to tackle, though.

high end eating seems to be the trend for most stadiums. Typically they take a local food and make it a staple. Here in CLE, they are creating "meat markets" where you can buy beer and hang out on a patio overlooking the playing field. The idea is to create a meeting space. I always wonder why there aren't places the university creates for business to have tailgates for $40/head before and after games. you've got 100,000 people, capitalize on it.

Reactions: bmw199
Ability to pause the game while I go take a leak in the restroom.

Better non-conference home games. Sell beer in the stadium to make up for any lost revenue when you may have a 6 game home schedule. Think of how well Paterno Beer would sell in the stadium.. the stadium experience is pretty awesome the way it is. Our football program has all the pieces in place to be pretty successful over the next 4-5 years, so I'm just going to savor it and believe we deserve it after all the bs over the past 4 years.

It is why the Beav was built as it is (e.g., "erector set on steroids").
Someone earlier suggested a brick facade but I have always liked the steel. How the sound thunders down the beams and nearly shakes the ground. So cool. So intimidating. I'm sure in some manner of years I will not be able to stand the metal benches, but I'm not there yet.

Sell beer in the stadium to make up for any lost revenue when you may have a 6 game home schedule.

Dear lord, please never let this happen. There are enough drunk idiots at the game already. I like beer a lot, more than most. But it doesn't enhance everything.

Thinking about it some more....
  • have a "plaza" area where people can meet and buy food, maybe next to the museum
  • upgrade food inside the stadium
  • Kill the piped in music, can get that anywhere, and stick with the Blue Band to keep the "college football 'brand' strong"
  • Establish eating ares like the baseball stands, the BJC area, across from downtown to draw people to the local stores
  • Encourage the food truck situation.
In general, if I were Penn St., I'd move from a "game" focused situation to a "weekend event" situation. Tons of people come in from far away for the entire weekend. hotels make you buy the entire weekend. I'd spend a lot more time and money, teaming with the city small business owners, creating coordinated events and zones throughout the weekend.

Dear lord, please never let this happen. There are enough drunk idiots at the game already. I like beer a lot, more than most. But it doesn't enhance everything.

The drunk idiots are going to be there already. The drunks are also already bringing their alcohol in. Then there's the rest of us that aren't trashed and aren't sneaking anything in that would enjoy having a beer or two during the game.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Thinking about it some more....
  • have a "plaza" area where people can meet and buy food, maybe next to the museum
  • upgrade food inside the stadium
  • Kill the piped in music, can get that anywhere, and stick with the Blue Band to keep the "college football 'brand' strong"
  • Establish eating ares like the baseball stands, the BJC area, across from downtown to draw people to the local stores
  • Encourage the food truck situation.
In general, if I were Penn St., I'd move from a "game" focused situation to a "weekend event" situation. Tons of people come in from far away for the entire weekend. hotels make you buy the entire weekend. I'd spend a lot more time and money, teaming with the city small business owners, creating coordinated events and zones throughout the weekend.
Obliviax: It sure seems you like to eat your way to Oblivian. Maybe that's how you got your name? :)

Reactions: Obliviax
I would like this to be the last season that we have even the slightest concern about beating Temple.

I'd like to see a few things that haven't been mentioned:
1) Creamery Ice cream sold at the game in September.
2) Play a team like Ohio State with both teams in home jerseys, make it a new tradition.
3) For a whiteout, the blue band becomes the white band, and wears all white uniforms.

I'd like to see a few things that haven't been mentioned:
1) Creamery Ice cream sold at the game in September.
2) Play a team like Ohio State with both teams in home jerseys, make it a new tradition.
3) For a whiteout, the blue band becomes the white band, and wears all white uniforms.
How bout these then:
1) Have the cast of Jack Ass do the half time show!
2) Use real Pigs(skins) instead of footballs - I know, that's when pigs can fly
3) Play skins against shirts with the Miss Nude Universe team (Penn State of course wears shirts).

I think this would fill up the stadium to capacity! :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT