ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Virginia series?

Little grasshopper.

You were wrong. Time for you to move on.
Nobody said it was a “big game.” Lando said no one is excited to play Virginia. Then when everyone started chiming in that they were excited to play Virginia Lando changed the premise to Virginia is not a big game. This is what Lando does on virtually every topic. Move the goalposts. Commence 20 pages of arguing in circles. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Nobody said it was a “big game.” Lando said no one is excited to play Virginia. Then when everyone started chiming in that they were excited to play Virginia Lando changed the premise to Virginia is not a big game. This is what Lando does on virtually every topic. Move the goalposts. Commence 20 pages of arguing in circles. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Yes. Every time

I've never been impressed with UVA's football program. I'm okay that the series was cancelled. I don't care if PSU plays them and I don't want them in the B10. Boring football program.......same with Syracuse, and UNC. I'll take VaTech and WVU any day over any of those teams. Football means something to those programs and their fanbases.

Reactions: LandoComando
I've never been impressed with UVA's football program. I'm okay that the series was cancelled. I don't care if PSU plays them and I don't want them in the B10. Boring football program.......same with Syracuse, and UNC. I'll take VaTech and WVU any day over any of those teams. Football means something to those programs and their fanbases.
The series wasn’t cancelled. We played a game away and then didn’t get our home game.

When do I ever care if people that don't know football agree with me?
But you said it then claimed you didn't so...
If you don’t care why do you spend all day writing 20 pages on every topic trying (in vain) to convince everyone? You’re as transparent as one of the Kardashian’s tank tops. And just as pathetic.

If you don’t care why do you spend all day writing 20 pages on every topic trying (in vain) to convince everyone? You’re as transparent as one of the Kardashian’s tank tops. And just as pathetic.
Notice -- you're still not owning you were wrong LDN said "big game"--I always use what you all use
I enjoy debating while watching football
I just wish I had more people that understood the game to debate with

Notice -- you're still not owning you were wrong LDN said "big game"--I always use what you all use
I enjoy debating while watching football
I just wish I had more people that understood the game to debate with
What a coincidence! I wish you had friends so you would quit bothering us.

Okay, I'm glad the remainder of the series was cancelled. Like I said....boring football program. No loss for PSU.
Disagree. They’re down now but if we played them on a semi regular basis it would help invigorate their program and Virginia is a valuable recruiting area for us. Also, as was mentioned, many Penn State alums have a Virginia connection and probably vice-versa. It’s a close and fun trip and UVA has a national reputation. All things considered it would be a net positive for many alums if Virginia was added to the schedule more often. Certainly Better than Temple, Pitt, Syracuse and the like.

I was excited to play Virginia. We have a second home in Virginia. It is a great state to visit, kind of the Confederate mirror image of Pennsylvania. It’s a nice trip, the students are a little crazy but which school’s aren’t? Virginia is down right now but if we scheduled them more regularly it would help both schools, unlike Pitt, which is just a waste of time.
Virgina has been perpetually down. They did nothing ever before George Welch took over, and very little since (their first ever bowl game was in 1984). Literally one of the worst football schools of all power conference teams. George Welsh was just a really good football coach.

Reactions: mhlarch
Okay, I'm glad the remainder of the series was cancelled. Like I said....boring football program. No loss for PSU.
Are you happy playing a MAC team instead? Because that’s essentially what we got but giving up a home game against a Power conference team.

Are you happy playing a MAC team instead? Because that’s essentially what we got but giving up a home game against a Power conference team.
It wasn't though--we replaced them with UCF. UCF under O'Leary was better than UVa
Why do you keep saying MAC team? You know we weren't going to add UCF if he still had UVa in 2013. You even said it could have pushed UCF to 2014 & 2015 so not replacing a MAC team

It wasn't though--we replaced them with UCF. UCF under O'Leary was better than UVa
Why do you keep saying MAC team? You know we weren't going to add UCF if he still had UVa in 2013. You even said it could have pushed UCF to 2014 & 2015 so not replacing a MAC team
Again, there was no reason UCF had to be played in 2013. We gave up a home game to UVA. The only thing that replaced that single game was another single home game which means a buy game versus a cupcake.

UCF did not replace just UVA in 2013 - it used a 2013 home slot and a 2014 away game slot.

It was idiotic and a terrible financial decision to give up the UVA home game.

Again, there was no reason UCF had to be played in 2013. We gave up a home game to UVA. The only thing that replaced that single game was another single home game which means a buy game versus a cupcake.

UCF did not replace just UVA in 2013 - it used a 2013 home slot and a 2014 away game slot.

It was idiotic and a terrible financial decision to give up the UVA home game.
I'm not arguing that it was idiot or a terrible financial decision--we agree. I agree we gave up a home game.
That SINGLE GAME was replaced THAT YEAR by UCF. That's who we added. You can't say otherwise.
I'm disputing the false claim "UVa would be better than a MAC school" because that wasn't what happened
We're never going to sub in UVa or even UCF for a MAC school
You have a great argument until you make it something it's not

I'm not arguing that it was idiot or a terrible financial decision--we agree. I agree we gave up a home game.
That SINGLE GAME was replaced THAT YEAR by UCF. That's who we added. You can't say otherwise.
I'm disputing the false claim "UVa would be better than a MAC school" because that wasn't what happened
We're never going to sub in UVa or even UCF for a MAC school
You have a great argument until you make it something it's not
By giving up a home game against UVA we had to pick up a single home game somewhere else. Whether that single home game was in 2013 or 2014 or 2015 or whenever is irrelevant. Giving up that home game meant we had to pick up a single home cupcake game at some point which is a MAC team or the like. Period, that’s what replaced UVA ultimately on our schedule.

Scheduling UCF required using the “away game” slot available in 2014. Your argument only makes sense if they played in Happy Valley in 2013 and that was it but that was not the case. Allowing UVA to drop the game without penalty lost us money and meant we ultimately had to play an extra cupcake instead of a power conference team.

By giving up a home game against UVA we had to pick up a single home game somewhere else. Whether that single home game was in 2013 or 2014 or 2015 or whenever is irrelevant. Giving up that home game meant we had to pick up a single home cupcake game at some point which is a MAC team or the like. Period, that’s what replaced UVA ultimately on our schedule.

Scheduling UCF required using the “away game” slot available in 2014. Your argument only makes sense if they played in Happy Valley in 2013 and that was it but that was not the case. Allowing UVA to drop the game without penalty lost us money and meant we ultimately had to play an extra cupcake instead of a power conference team.
What year do you believe this was the issue?
And the "away slow" argument doesn't make sense--we threw that away on Temple in 2015. The best possible argument you have is that if we schedule UCF in Ireland in 2015 then we don't play Temple? But we both know we still schedule Temple on the road.

So we all agree UVA screwed us but some of us want to play them to help out both programs? While I would be good with uva in our conference just to have more east coast schools, the football program itself is a perpetual loser with group of 5 level interest. It is not much different than admitting Temple.

We can all like whatever we want for whatever reason we want. The nonsense of some pipsqueak pretending to be a Penn State fan notwithstanding.
His Cheaters lost their 3rd game today with a couple more losses to come on their schedule. Then next year those penalties will be announced. OUCH

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
I asked Sandy about it at an event (not many invitees) at Matt Schulers house a few years back. She had no response at all. It never ever makes sense to cancel the home game in a home and home when you have already played the away game. You don’t compare it to ucf - you compare it to games like umass and mac teams (even though many Mac games might be better than uva)

Schulers house was simply amazing. Had several pic of Joe. Not sure why he “leads” the way he does. He had a couple of young kids and his wife was cool…smh

As for Barron all he wanted to talk about was replacing 2 legends and the fact he was about to get a statute at fsu and wanted one at psu as well…

And yes there was an inproportionate amount of onion dip being served…

Reactions: doctornick
I asked Sandy about it at an event (not many invitees) at Matt Schulers house a few years back. She had no response at all. It never ever makes sense to cancel the home game in a home and home when you have already played the away game. You don’t compare it to ucf - you compare it to games like umass and mac teams (even though many Mac games might be better than uva)

He's insufferable. Fact is, it was a big series regarding the DMV and recruiting. VA is who canceled the series, and who notified Penn State. They wanted another home game.

Allegedly, UVA wanted to cancel the series altogether, wanting to avoid playing PSU in light of Sandusky but it was too late to do anything about the 2012 game. So they played that one game and PSU for some reason just simply allowed UVA to get out of the return trip to Happy Valley - the "official" press release stated that it was being postponed and would be rescheduled but we have seen what has happened.

Basically, it came down to just another weak gesture by leadership at PSU at that time. It was inexcusable for them to allow the game to be cancelled without substantial financial compensation - like a few million dollars - or be rescheduled to a later date.

To be fair to Sandy, she was probably clueless because this was before her time and she simply inherited the situation after it was passed and nothing could be done. The cancellation occurred under the illustrious reign of David Joyner.

True. But all things being equal as far as cupcakes go, UVA moves the needle more than any MAC team. Strictly from a fans perspective.
What percent of the fans do you think are like "yes, we're playing Virginia in football! I can't wait to go!"? 5%
I understand people that live in VA/MD/DC might like to go and it's less travel but they got that game--who cares about them playing at Penn State? I mean, Va Tech would be a little bit better.

True. But all things being equal as far as cupcakes go, UVA moves the needle more than any MAC team. Strictly from a fans perspective.
Exactly. UVA is far from a world beater but they move the needle a good bit more than playing the likes of Kent St or Eastern Michigan or a 1-AA team. You don't just give up a home date versus a Power conference opponent for nothing (which sadly is exactly what we did) because the only thing you can replace that with like for like a buy game versus a cupcake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT