ADVERTISEMENT

What is the reaction on the OSU boards to the Kelly news?

I can't imagine that Buckeye fans are thrilled. UCLA fans are probably happier.
Ohio State has set itself up for failure. They've sold their soul for 2024/2025. Even if it works for one year, it's not sustainable.

Not sure how upset they can be getting a Big Ten's HC to take a coordinator role there.
Considering that he's been a head coach at the highest level of football (NFL) and a few prime college programs, how long do you think that he's going to be an assistant in college, unless he just doesn't want to be a head coach anymore? My guess is not very long.

Last edited:
Kelly was going to get shit canned after next season anyway. He didn't like recruiting or NIL, so he's taking a coordinator role at OSU so all he has to do is help call plays.

Day is fighting for his job right now, another choke job in a big game and he's done at OSU - I don't think he's worried about 2-3 years from now, because he has to win NOW. OSU will still be fine regardless, there's a ton of money being pumped into the program - just look at their portal acquisitions and recent recruiting. Sounds like their donors finally woke up.

Ohio state is showing that they are desperate. Can they be any better than they have been over the past several years.

Last edited:
Ohio State has set itself up for failure. They've sold their soul for 2024/2025. Even if it works for one year, it's not sustainable.
You have to play the game that's being played. Why should they cede an advantage to anyone if they have the resources to not have to do that. OSU will adjust and excel to any new stimuli at this point. They are playing chess, while others play checkers. If you want them to be average at what's going on, you're asking too much.

Kelly was going to get shit canned after next season anyway. He didn't like recruiting or NIL, so he's taking a coordinator role at OSU so all he has to do is help call plays.

Day is fighting for his job right now, another choke job in a big game and he's done at OSU - I don't think he's worried about 2-3 years from now, because he has to win NOW. OSU will still be fine regardless, there's a ton of money being pumped into the program - just look at their portal acquisitions and recent recruiting. Sounds like their donors finally woke up.
Agreed. And this can't be good for their program. You hire this guy who is a ball buster and he comes in to start making changes to the playbook before the players start spring ball. he suddenly quits. the university hires Kelly within days. Now Kelly is going to want to come in, can BO'Bs recommendations and make his own all when spring ball is a couple of months away.

Agreed. And this can't be good for their program. You hire this guy who is a ball buster and he comes in to start making changes to the playbook before the players start spring ball. he suddenly quits. the university hires Kelly within days. Now Kelly is going to want to come in, can BO'Bs recommendations and make his own all when spring ball is a couple of months away.
Day is an offensive guy and the constant. They will be fine. Let's focus on beating them in HV this season. We are due hopefully.

Day is an offensive guy and the constant. They will be fine. Let's focus on beating them in HV this season. We are due hopefully.
I am not sure. If that were the case, they wouldn't have hired BO'B or Kelly.

Considering that he's been a head coach at the highest level of football (NFL) and a few prime college programs, how long do you think that he's going to be an assistant in college, unless he just doesn't want to be a head coach anymore? My guess is not very long.
How long to do you think they expect him to stay? Coordinators aren't supposed to be long term hires.

LOL. Yeah, they're so dumb. Recruiting a ton of 5* studs, hitting the transfer portal hard, going after big time coordinators. That won't work.

Expecting them to drop off after 2024 is pure wishful thinking. Their 2025 recruiting class could have 8+ 5* recruits.

You have to play the game that's being played. Why should they cede an advantage to anyone if they have the resources to not have to do that. OSU will adjust and excel to any new stimuli at this point. They are playing chess, while others play checkers. If you want them to be average at what's going on, you're asking too much.

Absolutely this. OSU is adjusting to the requirements of being elite. It's absolute wishful thinking for us to say that this is a last ditch gamble or that they'll implode after this. They won't.

Even before going all in, they win 11+ games every year. They have made the conscious decision that 11-2 isn't good enough.

Remember when Franklin said we'd be elite? It's not OSU's fault or UGA's fault or Oregon's fault that they're taking the steps needed to be elite and we're not.

LOL. Yeah, they're so dumb. Recruiting a ton of 5* studs, hitting the transfer portal hard, going after big time coordinators. That won't work.

Expecting them to drop off after 2024 is pure wishful thinking. Their 2025 recruiting class could have 8+ 5* recruits.
Yep, they're screwed and will fail bigtime

Remember when Franklin said we'd be elite? It's not OSU's fault or UGA's fault or Oregon's fault that they're taking the steps needed to be elite and we're not.
Oregon is a team to keep an eye on going forward. Of course, being backed by Phil Knight-Nike money doesn't hurt

I am not sure. If that were the case, they wouldn't have hired BO'B or Kelly.
It's not like hiring Chip Kelly now is really a bad thing for their offense, that's my only point. They will easily make the transition. They're loaded this year but hopefully we can pull the upset in HV.

Oregon is a team to keep an eye on going forward. Of course, being backed by Phil Knight-Nike money doesn't hurt
They got Dillon Gabriel in the portal so they shouldn't miss much if anything at QB with Nix gone. They play OSU in Eugene early on. Should be a great game and whoever wins has the early inside track for the B10 title. Hopefully we can derail OSU in Happy Valley.

It's not like hiring Chip Kelly now is really a bad thing for their offense, that's my only point. They will easily make the transition. They're loaded this year but hopefully we can pull the upset in HV.
Yep. This only helps OSU. Kelly and Day have known each other for years, and I would assume Kelly would implement exactly the kind of offense that Day prefers and execute it well. Lots of great offensive minds struggle to maintain their offensive edge while being a head coach. Chip Kelly was one of them. But focusing solely as an OC? Really good hire for them.

To me, this is similar to us hiring Manny as DC. Flubbed as a head coach, but focusing solely as a coordinator allowed him to play to his strengths.

The OSU-Oregon and OSU-PSU games will decide the B1G in 2024. Normally, based on what's happened in NIL and the Portal the last few weeks, I would pick OSU to win those games but those games are in Eugene and Happy V so those games could go either way. I honestly think that 2024 is PSU's best chance to win the B1G - it should come down to those 3 teams

Reactions: royboy
Ryan Day worked under Kelly at Philadelphia, I believe. Most of his hires for assistant coaches that weren't legacy OSU people (Kerry Combs was a disaster) have been very good. For example, Jeff Hafley & Jim Knowles & Tim Walton. Odds are it will work well.

The OSU-Oregon and OSU-PSU games will decide the B1G in 2024. Normally, based on what's happened in NIL and the Portal the last few weeks, I would pick OSU to win those games but those games are in Eugene and Happy V so those games could go either way. I honestly think that 2024 is PSU's best chance to win the B1G - it should come down to those 3 teams
Unless Allar can play extremely well and Fleming makes a huge splash we have no shot at beating OSU this season. We lose too much on defense including Manny and the OL remains a major question mark. To win against the elite teams you need to dominate the line of scrimmage or have a QB capable of making splash plays with his legs. See Dixon in Peach Bowl and McCarthy against us for examples. Not sure we have either. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised but not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: cment
chip-kelly-tongue.gif

As an OSU fan I love the hire. Day, Frye, and Kelly all have history together and should be on the same page. I hope Kelly can improve the run game and mesh it with Day's passing concepts. Frye did a good job with the UCLA OL under Kelly.

As an OSU fan I love the hire. Day, Frye, and Kelly all have history together and should be on the same page. I hope Kelly can improve the run game and mesh it with Day's passing concepts. Frye did a good job with the UCLA OL under Kelly.

As you should. An upgrade over BoB, in my opinion. Amazing that even when bad timing hurts OSU with the BC job opening, OSU still benefits in the end.

Absolutely this. OSU is adjusting to the requirements of being elite. It's absolute wishful thinking for us to say that this is a last ditch gamble or that they'll implode after this. They won't.

Even before going all in, they win 11+ games every year. They have made the conscious decision that 11-2 isn't good enough.

Remember when Franklin said we'd be elite? It's not OSU's fault or UGA's fault or Oregon's fault that they're taking the steps needed
Are you going to match OSU nil spending or are you content not being elite?

As you should. An upgrade over BoB, in my opinion. Amazing that even when bad timing hurts OSU with the BC job opening, OSU still benefits in the end.
It's almost like Day was having buyer's remorse over BOB as Kelly was immediately hired. Yeah I think this is even better for OSU.

Unless Allar can play extremely well and Fleming makes a huge splash we have no shot at beating OSU this season. We lose too much on defense including Manny and the OL remains a major question mark. To win against the elite teams you need to dominate the line of scrimmage or have a QB capable of making splash plays with his feet. See Dixon in Peach Bowl and McCarthy against us for examples. Not sure we have either. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised but not holding my breath.
The fact that it is at home gives us a fighting chance. Of course no White Out thanks to Fox.

You nailed it, Allar has to be better along with the passing game (Fleming emerges as a star) and our defense has to he able to slowdown their NFL skill guys. I'm hoping Will Howard just is so so and their O-Line still has some issues. Also hoping our O-Line comes together well, we have some good young talent at both tackle positions. Wish we had Diaz still but we knew he was a short termer.

The fact that it is at home gives us a fighting chance. Of course no White Out thanks to Fox.

You nailed it, Allar has to be better along with the passing game (Fleming emerges as a star) and our defense has to he able to slowdown their NFL skill guys. I'm hoping Will Howard just is so so and their O-Line still has some issues. Also hoping our O-Line comes together well, we have some good young talent at both tackle positions. Wish we had Diaz still but we knew he was a short termer.
I think you nailed it with this one. The B1G championship kind of rests on whether their crappy OL from 2023 improves. If not. PSU stands as good of a chance to win the conference as anyone

Are you going to match OSU nil spending or are you content not being elite?

They're elite for reasons beyond NIL. They were elite before NIL and they're trying to take the next step with it. But at least they're trying to move forward and not be content with where they are/were.

It's a whole of program/university investment. From facilities to coaches to NIL and everything in between.

Ultimately, becoming more active in NIL would definitely help us, and that's something this university can influence. We can't make James Franklin a better coach -- he's good but certainly not elite. So it's hard to influence that unless you flat out fire the guy or invest mucho dinero in elite assistants. So that really leaves NIL as the area the program can most directly influence.

I think you nailed it with this one. The B1G championship kind of rests on whether their crappy OL from 2023 improves. If not. PSU stands as good of a chance to win the conference as anyone

LOL. YOu spend all year bitching that OSU is loading up on 5*s, PSU is not gaining ground and then you pick PSU to win.

They're elite for reasons beyond NIL. They were elite before NIL and they're trying to take the next step with it. But at least they're trying to move forward and not be content with where they are/were.

It's a whole of program/university investment. From facilities to coaches to NIL and everything in between.

Ultimately, becoming more active in NIL would definitely help us, and that's something this university can influence. We can't make James Franklin a better coach -- he's good but certainly not elite. So it's hard to influence that unless you flat out fire the guy or invest mucho dinero in elite assistants. So that really leaves NIL as the area the program can most directly influence.

Is that why Joe had a losing record vs OSU?

If Joe had a losing record vs OSU and Joe was the best coach in the history of PSU, does it really make sense for you to expect any future coaches to have better records than Joe?

Reactions: Yanks49
Ryan Day worked under Kelly at Philadelphia, I believe. Most of his hires for assistant coaches that weren't legacy OSU people (Kerry Combs was a disaster) have been very good. For example, Jeff Hafley & Jim Knowles & Tim Walton. Odds are it will work well.
Walton IS a "legacy". He was a Buckeye cornerback in the early 90s. Coombs was an excellent DB coach, but a disaster as DC.

Reactions: DUNNELLONFLBUCK
Is that why Joe had a losing record vs OSU?

If Joe had a losing record vs OSU and Joe was the best coach in the history of PSU, does it really make sense for you to expect any future coaches to have better records than Joe?

We are 1-11 in our last 12 against Ohio State.

Joe struggled with the Buckeyes, but never THAT much.

Yes, Ohio State has been a consistently top-5 team for pretty much 20+ years. Nobody else can say that. So expecting us to be neck and neck with them isn't realistic. It's like LSU fans expecting to be neck and neck with Bama. But it's losing all the other big games IN ADDITION TO the Ohio State games.......that's the killer. And even aging Joe won more big games than Franklin.

Reactions: cment

Yes, Ohio State has been a consistently top-5 team for pretty much 20+ years. Nobody else can say that. So expecting us to be neck and neck with them isn't realistic. It's like LSU fans expecting to be neck and neck with Bama. But it's losing all the other big games IN ADDITION TO the Ohio State games.......that's the killer. And even aging Joe won more big games than Franklin.
'01-'10, Joe won in '01, '05 and '08. That's 30%. '14-'23 Franklin has 1 win, 10%. Is it too much to ask Franklin to at least beat them 30% of the time? No but if NIL goes insane like it seems then 30% could very well be unrealistic.

Exactly, not much different than us getting Tom Allen after he was fired. OSU just got Kelly the year before he was fired. And Kelly doesnt have that stigma of failed College coach.

Exactly, not much different than us getting Tom Allen after he was fired. OSU just got Kelly the year before he was fired. And Kelly doesnt have that stigma of failed College coach.
I'm hoping he doesn't fix their O-Line issues. He is not known for being a coach big on "physicality".

OSU was not as good then. OSU took a big step forward. Their big jump was psu sanctions. That is reality. During sanctions they added 5 4 or 5* recruits that first season who would have gone to psu. OSU has outrecruited psu every recruiting class since then. 12 straight. Maybe joe should have retired 10 years sooner.

Pennsylvania also has about half as much talent as we did when Joe was coach.

The Sandusky stink is still on the program. You can't go on another board without reading ped state. Psu football alumni are not pushing their kids to psu.

'01-'10, Joe won in '01, '05 and '08. That's 30%. '14-'23 Franklin has 1 win, 10%. Is it too much to ask Franklin to at least beat them 30% of the time? No but if NIL goes insane like it seems then 30% could very well be unrealistic.
Joe averaged 9-3 a season for his career. He lost to someone. Dose it matter who?
What was a Toledo loss worth? Don't forget the yearly Iowa loss.

Ps. Joe was under 30% vs ferenz.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT