ADVERTISEMENT

What the heck just happened????

BobE

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2001
NOTHING was what I expected. UMD played their hearts out and we looked befuddled early on. Well, actually for much of the game. On O. On D On STs. Sure we had our spots where the O looked great, but then it resumed sputtering on the next possession. Jekyll and Hyde O!

This year we have a real knack for bringing out amazing things from the lowest ranked teams on our schedule. Maybe because their coaches do an effective job of exposing our youth/weaknesses. Gotta hand it to them. There are a lot of really good coaches out there.

Don't know how many "Blow Out" predictions I read on here before the game. And I must admit, I expected a relatively predictable, fairly comfortable win. So sitting in front of the tube, I was flat out stunned by what was happening during the first half, and beyond. Zero O. Short passes way off target. And our superfrosh being shut down. Like some, I kept waiting for pitches to SB as he probed outside tackle for holes to gash and flash through. In the 2nd half, Hack finally got comfortable rolling out to his right on occasion and lofting those bombs that usually fell into friendly hands. Zero INTs also saved our bacon. Hack is no longer the Mad Bomber, and no longer throws too many pics. That is a mixed blessing, but a very positive step. But he still gets way too much pressure.

Anyhow, I nearly shut off the tube during that rough first half ( although the game was being recorded for later viewing when I calmed down.) The game was a real attack on the old GI system! Yet I hung in there.

I guess in the final analysis it was a very exciting game - but the kind I prefer to see played vs OSU, MSU and UM, rather than the bottom dwellers on our schedule ( which is the M.O. this season!)

And once again we proved you just don't know what to expect in 2015, other than exciting football. And that isn't all bad. Fans, keep those expectations ( big wins, dominance, overpowering D, balanced consistant O) in check....maybe for next year.

We played hard and that saved our bacon. And we learned a lot, including humility, and our youngsters continued to develop skills they'll need sooner than later. Every game is a battle! And that forms character.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News