ADVERTISEMENT

What your favorite painting or artwork: I have affinity for

The Moorish Chief (originally titled The Guardian of the Seraglio), 1878. Painted Oil on Wood Panel by
Eduard Charlemont. You can see it at the Philadelphia Museum Of Art

1200px-Eduard_Charlemont%2C_Austrian_-_The_Moorish_Chief_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
Wow, that is so vivid it could be a photo.

A few years back rudedude and I went to Chicago for the Northwestern game. We went to the Chicago Art Institute on Friday. To be honest I am not the biggest art fan. After a few hours I was getting tired and all I could think of was Monet...Manet...Who gives a shit!

obviously in reference to this

Reactions: rudedude
My favorite painting is one that was done by one of my dad's friend's fathers- he was retired and painted landscapes of the Maine seacoast. It hung over our fireplace mantel for years, and when my dad passed, I took it and hung it in my home office. It's just a scène with an old boat on a rocky beach, but I wouldn't trade it for the Mona Lisa.

Reactions: LionJim and BBrown
Reading this thread, how could anyone question the Eric Barren Grand Cathedral of the Arts (and such)?

Give early, often, and in large sums.

Reactions: 81b&w
And Seurat’s A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, also in Chicago. My parents had a print of it on our living room wall. It saddens me that my father never saw it in person.

cropped-seurat-a-sunday-afternoon-on-the-island-of-la-grande-jatte.jpg
While seeing this Ferris Bueller classic at the artic is truly a take your breath away experience and high on my list, I am going to go with the Giotto frescoes at the Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi.

There is something beautiful and compelling about the simplicity of them, and from a technical standpoint, you can almost see the renaissance fascination with perspective emerging before your eyes.

in addition to that, there is a Rousseau painting at the Musée de L’ Orangerie that I adore:
https://www.musee-orangerie.fr/en/artwork/landscape-and-four-fishermen

Early modern technique and style with the classic rural French landscape subject, but contrasting jarringly with the modern image/metaphor of the biplane.

Last edited:
I like a lot of different styles including early impressionists and almost anything by the Dutch masters, but this Wyeth painting is simple but complex, lacks color or a lot of subject but makes me imagine why she's there, what she's thinking, is there anyone else with her. He gets emotion without even showing her face.
qc8CA46mZ3DPZtfE8

I am a huge fan of William Blake. I own over 30 of his original engravings (mostly his commercial works for book illustrations that are not particularly expensive) but I do have one of his original 1825 Book of Job engravings framed and prominently displayed in my home. Why Blake, who is the antithesis of scientific rationality (his engraving of Isaac Newton is hardly complimentary)? I admire his purity of form, his clarity of vision, and his innocent mysticism. He lived in gentle poverty all his life, his genius recognized by only a few of his artist friends while he was alive. He was a fierce defender of the American Revolution and personal liberty. He was tried for sedition and could have been hanged, but his friends convinced the jury that he was harmlessly mad, so he was acquitted.

Last Autumn (yes, during football season - I watched two games on the internet until the wee hours of the morning) I made a special trip to London to see the once-in-a-generation comprehensive exhibition of his work at the Tate Britain:

https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/william-blake-artist

https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/william-blake/exhibition-guide

My wife had to drag me out of there after five hours. I could have stayed longer but, as much as I love Blake, I also value my marriage.

I’m more of a sculpture fan. Wife and I saw this at the accademia almost 10 years ago. Still the only piece of art among many trips to museums that we just sat and looked at it. The facial features are mesmerizing.

800px-%27David%27_by_Michelangelo_Fir_JBU013.jpg

Really enjoyed pieta as well
Michelangelo-pieta.jpg

Rounding out my top 3 is the rape of proserpina (Bernini)
bernini-the-rape-of-proserpina-2-768x1152.jpg

The only painting that really held me was the last judgement
the-last-judgement.jpg

Excellent thread and a welcome change of pace. For those interested in learning more about Vincent Van Gogh's life, Irving Stone's "Lust for Life" is an amazing biography. For those with less time, Don McLean's "Starry, Starry Night" gives you a good sense of the beautiful person that Van Gogh was.

I’m more of a sculpture fan. Wife and I saw this at the accademia almost 10 years ago. Still the only piece of art among many trips to museums that we just sat and looked at it. The facial features are mesmerizing.

Michelangelo-pieta.jpg

the-last-judgement.jpg

Sculptures are good.:)

7938758552_68de2a6cf5_b.jpg.cf.jpg

Michelangelo-pieta.jpg

the-last-judgement.jpg
True story: We go in to St Peters and make our way over to the Pieta. As I am admiring it, a guy next to me who has been looking at it asks in a loud voice with a New Jersey accent, “Is that the original?”

This is a very good thread Mr. Potter. Congrats.

Totally agree! Such a bummer that we're not able to visit any museums or galleries; kids are just getting to the age where that kind of experience starts to make an impression.

The most striking art I've seen in person was a Francis Bacon exhibit at the Picasso Museum in Paris. It's not for everyone for sure, but no one does what he does. If I had an extra $85mm, I might buy this:

“Triptych Inspired by the Oresteia of Aeschylus” (1981)

merlin_174028836_c7312811-f70c-4271-8038-b17074155f0e-articleLarge.jpg

Also a big Salvador Dali fan; once in Paris wife and I caught a comprehensive exhibit of his life's work that occupied the entire top floor of the Centre Pompidou - it was amazing. A lot of his stuff is on a really small scale. One of my favorites:

"Christ of St. John on the Cross" (1951)

0667.jpg

I'm a big Jackson Pollock fan and just last week spent time visiting the Jackson Pollock/Lee Kransner house in the Springs section of East Hampton. Here is a pic of the only original remaining in the house and one that I particularly like. This was painted before his "pour" period while he was still living in NYC. The pour period had its genesis when he moved to East Hampton where he would lay canvases on the floor in the barn and paint from above.

IMG-1894.jpg

Interestingly, he was all but an indentured servant to Peggy Guggenheim who loaned him $2,000 to buy his house (no heat and no running water) and gave him a $300/mo stipend in exchange for all his work except for one painting a year which he was allowed to keep. He was a severely depressed person and an alcoholic who would drink until he would black out. Sadly he died in a one car accident near his home at the age of 44 with him behind the wheel, taking his young mistress with him.

Here are a few more pics from the house.

IMG-1876.jpg

IMG-1875.jpg

IMG-1886.jpg

IMG-1878.jpg

IMG-1877.jpg

The barn floor where he laid his canvasses.
IMG-1873.jpg

Jackson's wife and fellow artist Lee Krasner was in Paris to study
when he was killed.
IMG-1880.jpg

My wife inherited two paintings with provenance that have been in the family. One is an Elaine de Kooning and another is a large format canvas from the assistant to Elaine and Willem. It is not fully understood how but, my wife’s grandfather became acquainted with some of the 10th street crowd in the late 50’s.

Neither my wife and I are big on abstract art but she is going to hang on to them because of the family connection.

We both favor impressionist art. We both love D’Orsay in Paris. We spend the entire day at D’Orsay.
At the D’Orsay:

1200px-Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg

It is extraordinary.

Last edited:
Couldn't wait any longer for someone to post this. This board is going downhill.
dogs-playing-poker-by-cassius-marcellus-coolidge-vintage-painting-prints.jpg
Yeah, I posted about E. Buzz Miller's Art Classics and got no response.
How about a Maude Lebowski original (it's strongly vaginal)?

I'm a big Jackson Pollock fan and just last week spent time visiting the Jackson Pollock/Lee Kransner house in the Springs section of East Hampton. Here is a pic of the only original remaining in the house and one that I particularly like. This was painted before his "pour" period while he was still living in NYC. The pour period had its genesis when he moved to East Hampton where he would lay canvases on the floor in the barn and paint from above.

IMG-1894.jpg

Interestingly, he was all but an indentured servant to Peggy Guggenheim who loaned him $2,000 to buy his house (no heat and no running water) and gave him a $300/mo stipend in exchange for all his work except for one painting a year which he was allowed to keep. He was a severely depressed person and an alcoholic who would drink until he would black out. Sadly he died in a one car accident near his home at the age of 44 with him behind the wheel, taking his young mistress with him.

Here are a few more pics from the house.

IMG-1876.jpg

IMG-1875.jpg

IMG-1886.jpg

IMG-1878.jpg

IMG-1877.jpg

The barn floor where he laid his canvasses.
IMG-1873.jpg

Jackson's wife and fellow artist Lee Krasner was in Paris to study
when he was killed.
IMG-1880.jpg

The movie with Ed Harris as Pollack is really good.

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT