ADVERTISEMENT

What your favorite painting or artwork: I have affinity for

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
The Moorish Chief (originally titled The Guardian of the Seraglio), 1878. Painted Oil on Wood Panel by
Eduard Charlemont. You can see it at the Philadelphia Museum Of Art

1200px-Eduard_Charlemont%2C_Austrian_-_The_Moorish_Chief_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

The Moorish Chief (originally titled The Guardian of the Seraglio), 1878. Painted Oil on Wood Panel by
Interesting topic, since I have no artistic talent at all I try to visit museums whenever possible. For me anything by Dali, such amazing clarity and detail. Favorite individual art work is the David statue which I saw in Florence. Can't imagine how you can take a piece of rock and create fingers, eyebrows, toes into such realism.
1200px-Eduard_Charlemont%2C_Austrian_-_The_Moorish_Chief_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Potter

I've seen that and its spectacular.
The painting of his robes is almost photorealism.
I always felt the Philly Museum of Art was underrated when it comes to Art Museums.

I don't have just one. I'm a big O'Keefe Fan and Thomas Heart Benton.
Love a lot of the 20th century American Artists.

Maybe this is too predictable, but Nighthawks by Edward Hopper really gets me. In Chicago.

img-gpa_tardis_v_edward_hopper.jpg

Another which knocked me over was The Bride of the Wind, by Oskar Kokoshka, in Basel.

oskar-kokoschka-wind-s-bride.jpg

In Washington, Picasso’s The Tragedy has always moved me. Look at the boy’s hands:
The_Tragedy.JPG

All good choices. I'm a Hopper fan too.
Did you know this was the inspiration for Hitchock and the house in Psycho?
f000099893c34334598688556c38035d.jpg

and he was inspired by this...
hopper3.jpg

Do not know how to post images.....but favorite artist is Donald Johnson from Bath, PA.....near Bethlehem.....similar style as Andrew Wyeth. Have a painting by Don and wish to sell.....let me know.

I think that it is hard to pinpoint a particular piece of art because -- like music -- it touches you at different times. But I recently saw Diego Rivera's Detroit Industry Murals and was really blown away.

Those sculptures by Michelangelo are truly amazing. Saw one of them in the Vatican and I, believe, L'Ultima Cena (the Last Supper by Leonardo) in Milan. It was the Last Supper but it was over 50 years ago and i don't remember the city. Saw both the Pieta and David.

Love the Impressionists. Saw the Van Gogh exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art a few years ago. You were able to get up fairly close to some of the paintings and the detail of the brush strokes and layering was fantastic. My favorite was this one:

pair-of-boots-1887_u-l-f801zc0.jpg

Funny story associated with that trip. It was a hot April day in Philly and I wore a polo shirt and gray shorts. We had time to kill prior to our entry time so we hung out outside for a while. I saw the Rocky statue and asked my wife if she would take a picture of me with it. I went over and sat on the base of the statue. The entire time I sat there, it smelled like something burnt was around there. I thought nothing of it. We saw a few other exhibits before we went into the Van Gogh exhibit. Periodically, I would catch that same burnt smell while going through the exhibit. We really enjoyed the art work. We then decided to walk to Reading Terminal Market to get some oysters. We had a nice lunch and then walked back to our hotel, the Ritz Carlton. I was still catching a whiff of that burnt smell. We go up to our room and I go in first, and then my wife remarks, “what do you have on your shorts?” I said I don’t know, and she remarked they were streaked with some black brown goo! I went to to the bathroom and took off the shorts, and sure enough, there was, what resembled, a s...t stain across the seat of my shorts! Luckily, it was the source of the burnt smell, old coffee. All afternoon walking around the arts museum bending over to look at the paintings and probably having other patrons stay far away from me because they felt pity for the poor guy who had s..t himself. Then walking from the museum to Reading Terminal Market and then to the Ritz Carlton! No one ever said a word to me and they probably pitied my poor wife!

The next morning, we went down to have breakfast in the lobby, and the elevator stopped on one of the upper floors and two tall gentlemen with large gym bags got on. I looked at both of them and did a double take. It was Dan Bylsma and Todd Richards, coaches of the Penguins who were in town for a playoff game vs the Flyers that day. I chatted them up because I had been a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins season ticket holder and both had been coaching there before their rise to Pittsburgh. The elevator stopped again and Matt Cooke got on. I was surprised that he was not a big guy at all for being such a pest in the NHL. We got off and I wished them all luck, with a gleam in my eye, because I am a NJ Devils fan. I cursed them, cause the Flyers took them out of the playoffs that afternoon!

They are. Moses:

6a00e553690e1b883401053641c9cd970b-800wi1.jpg

I was in Rome a year ago for almost three weeks. My hotel was a few hundred steps from that church (St. Peter in Chains), so I visited it and Michelangelo's Moses over a half-dozen times. Just under the main altar are supposedly the chains that St. Peter wore in captivity. While looking at them I noticed something under them almost out of sight. A small sign claims that the seven martyred brothers mentioned in the second book of Maccabees are entombed there. Given that there are at least six heads of John the Baptist in various churches in Europe, a bit of skepticism is warranted here. I had been to Rome several times before but it is always a great trip. Highlights were the Vatican Museum and St.Peter's (In the crypt I came across the tomb of Pope Boniface VIII, placed by Dante in one of the circles of Hell - I put my hand on his tomb and quietly asked, "Hot enough for you?") The Borghese Palace is crawling with Bernini sculptures and Caravaggio paintings. Awesome! You can throw a stone in any direction anywhere in Rome and hit something of major historical importance (but not recommended - the Carabinieri frown on such activities).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT