ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite franchise restaurant ?

Two more that I like:

Not Your Average Joes
MOD Pizza

Both recently moved to the area (near the aforementioned Jersey Mikes).

Surprised to see all the love for Panera and Jersey Mikes.

Panera's stuff tastes good but to me is wildly expensive for what you get.

Jersey Mike's, at least in downtown SC, is a step up from Subway--but that's not saying much.

Yeah
Is that where there are phones at the table and you phone in the order?
Yes , Its a whole different pizza than most places fine chopped toppings thincrust and toppings to the very edge . I usually get carryout on a trip as they arent that close and one time the older guy working who was an owner working a small one told me the secret to warm up. Micro half warmed and have a hot skillet to finish with and its as good as the fresh ones. Works on others but the small squares they cut into make it easy Hungry for one now.

Reactions: LionJim
I guess I forgot to add IMO. Either way, I like full belly clams and just had some really good ones in a small place I found in Rhode Island. However, HoJo's thick sliced, tender, deep sea clams were the best fried clams I've ever eaten. There are thousands of people on a forum that agree with me. (google HoJo clams forum)
Oh, I liked HoJos clams, no doubt--but when I was in New England, I preferred local ones.

Reactions: tobakkorudy
I don't know if these are are all franchises, but they are chains.

Rey Azteca and Chipolte for Mexican.

Original Pancake House. Love me some apple pancake.

Red Robin for burgers.

The family loves Olive Garden.

Pirmanti's. In addition to the sandwiches, I like their pizza.

BD's Mongolian Grill

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I don't, but I remember the V.I.P. well. Village Inn Pizza was actually a small chain. The one in S.C. was thankfully a smokey dive bar.

Yes, back in the day when N Atherton and Blue Course Drive was the end of the world essentially. Pizza was OK but scenery was very good back in the 70s. Of course it was smokey, all of that wacky weed!

I don't know if these are are all franchises, but they are chains.

Rey Azteca and Chipolte for Mexican.

Original Pancake House. Love me some apple pancake.

Red Robin for burgers.

The family loves Olive Garden.

Pirmanti's. In addition to the sandwiches, I like their pizza.

BD's Mongolian Grill
BD's is pretty ok. Ok enough for me to get a craving and drive to the city and eat it for lunch alone.

Olive Gargen is my go to.

But I really love the sauces at Buffalo Wild Wings.

In FL - if you want dirt cheap beer and decent enough bar food (also cheap), find a Duffy's. They started in Lake Park (I used to have my mail delivered to the original one) and are all over the east coast of FL now.

They don't all look like this (North Miami Beach), but they do have happy hours all day, every day.

Duffys-NMB-patio-dining.jpg

Dick's Last Resort. It feels like being on this board as the staff insults everyone. Reminds me of someone here. ;)

I had DLR as one of my customer's years ago. Great group to deal with but I believe the owners (a group of lawyers) sold off their interest. Not sure what they are like now since I have not been to one in several years.

If I have time I'll post the story on how the first location in Dallas West End was created.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I avoid franchise chains at all costs. I detest the concept, the indifference, the lack of accountability for mediocrity.

I wouldn't set foot in Starbucks at gunpoint. Faux culture and burnt coffee. Yuk.

Unfortunately, we're seeing the demise of the quality mom-and-pops because the chains are squeezing them out. That's sad.

I had DLR as one of my customer's years ago. Great group to deal with but I believe the owners (a group of lawyers) sold off their interest. Not sure what they are like now since I have not been to one in several years.

If I have time I'll post the story on how the first location in Dallas West End was created.
Please do.

Favorities
MAGGIANO'S
Anything Pappas
Cheddar's
PF Chang
Rasing Canes
Chic-Fil-A
Steak and Shake

Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza is great if you like well done pizza. Their meatballs are good too. If you get them to go, you literally get a real pot of meatballs.

Portillos-Chicago area

Didn't I read that Culver's is opening a store in State College? Or am I having a senio moment?

Arby's pork belly sandwich is da bomb. (Avoid if you have heart health issues in the family.)

Pollo Tropicale. Over a hundred locations spreading out from Miami. Great sauces for their Caribbean food.

Wawa Italian Hoagies on white with extra mayo AND oil beats those sad excuses for hoagies at Subway, Jimmy John's, Firehouse, and even Jersey Mike's. (And I am from Western PA!)

Arby's pork belly sandwich is da bomb. (Avoid if you have heart health issues in the family.)

Pollo Tropicale. Over a hundred locations spreading out from Miami. Great sauces for their Caribbean food.

Wawa Italian Hoagies on white with extra mayo AND oil beats those sad excuses for hoagies at Subway, Jimmy John's, Firehouse, and even Jersey Mike's. (And I am from Western PA!)
Anyone who puts mayo on an Italian hoagie should be garroted. Capisce? And Wawa hoagies are average at best. Also, what's with this 'on white'? Tom Thumb sliced bread?

Reactions: Tri-Power65
Sorry. I like mayo. By 'white' I mean the regular Amoroso's and not the wheat. And I agree that Wawa hoagies are not the best Hoagies in Philly, but compared to the shite these other chains are calling Hoagies here in SW Florida, they are gourmet.

Try it. You might just like it. You don't always have to do what your cousin Vinnie told you to do.

From my PSU HUB DAYS, I picked up a love for mayo on French fries. Anybody else remember the cheesesteak, cheeseburger platters in the old HUB?

I'd have to go with Five Guys.

I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on Mission BBQ. I just went to the Harrisburg location last week and came away decidedly mixed.

Smoked turkey was delightful; "juicy" brisket wasn't very juicy or flavorful. It reminded me more of roast beef than brisket. Mac & cheese was a winner though.
Been to the one in whitehall on several occasions and came away impressed. Went with the brisket the first time cause i know how hard it is to do right and thought it was pretty damn good. Love the side dishes and sauce options at the table.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
recently Max & Erma's have fallen on hard times, they seem to be either have or are about to file for bankruptcy. It seems their food quality has gone down.

I drive from central N.C. to Cincinnati a lot, and stop often at the Max & Erma's in Chillicothe, which is pretty good. There's another one farther north off the Interstate near Wilmington. The two times I've stopped there the food and service weren't as good.

In DE, the best chain is easily Capriotti's Sub. They have branched out beyond DE even now have shops in AZ and Vegas. The bobby sub, Tgiving on a roll, is great and they use real roasted turkey, not lunch meat. Great subs and decent cheesesteaks.

Worst chain ever, another DE one, Grotto's Pizza. Life long Delawareans love it because it takes them back to their childhood getting pizza on the boardwalk in Rehoboth but it is the worst pizza I have ever tried. Pretty much ketchup, american cheese on a soggy piece of bread. Just terrible.

Our go to places are similar to what has been mentioned. Chipotle, Chick Fil A and Panera. In fact, we will go out of our way on road trips to find a Panera off the highway vs other places. We also love Texas Roadhouse. Best steak for the buck.

Nit asked about Blaze. That is our go to pizza place for me and co-workers. It is affordable, great tasting, and quick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT