ADVERTISEMENT

Where are all the Pribulla Package haters now?

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
Just curious. I suppose if has a bad game the will wiggle their way out of their wormholes again. In fact, I am sure of it.

Before that happens, remember one thing. He is gamer and we are not.

Just curious. I suppose if has a bad game the will wiggle their way out of their wormholes again. In fact, I am sure of it.

I think there are two different issues.

1. When Allar is the starter does it make sense to put in BP and disrupt the flow?
  2. Is Beau a competent backup?
Certainly, there is room to recognize that Beau's game experience helped him adjust vs Wisconsin. But we also went punt, punt in the first two possessions when Beau started. That isn't to diminish Beau's performance but is meant to say that he wasn't "all world" in his half of play. Beau settled down and ran the offense very effectively.

The difference in the game was the pick-six. We went punt-punt. Pick Six. TD-TD.

He also tried to execute play action to an invisible running back, fumbled one exchange, and almost caused Singleton to fumble a 3rd down exchange. Beau played well, but let's not pretend he was something else out there, especially with an inferior opponent.

I totally think that we should get up by a bunch of scores by the middle of the 2nd half and then let all of the backups play, and actually execute the offense (versus soft runs to kill clock). There wasn't enough of that with Allar in 2022.

But unfortunately we simply haven't blown out some opponents. And you can be as offended by this as you choose, but I won’t personally ever agree with a younger starting QB getting pulled off the field or split out wide on a regular basis.

Reactions: EPC FAN
OSU is going to bring maximum pressure if Pribula plays. He did pretty well against Wisconsin but OSU has better athletes.

Allar has had more experience with pressure from teams like OSU & Michigan. It also helps that he's 3" taller and better able to see over defenders.

I expect to see more of a ball control offense if Pribula plays. Screens, rollouts, shovel passes, etc.

Reactions: Obliviax
He also tried to execute play action to an invisible running back, fumbled one exchange, and almost caused Singleton to fumble a 3rd down exchange. Beau played well, but let's not pretend he was something else out there, especially with an inferior opponent.
I agree 100% but keep in mind that our one turnover occurred when Allar fumbled a snap.

OSU is going to bring maximum pressure if Pribula plays. He did pretty well against Wisconsin but OSU has better athletes.

Allar has had more experience with pressure from teams like OSU & Michigan. It also helps that he's 3" taller and better able to see over defenders.

I expect to see more of a ball control offense if Pribula plays. Screens, rollouts, shovel passes, etc.
We ran a lot of shovel passes to Warren and Kaytron to offset Wisconsin's pass rush as well.

I am not seeing very many quick outside passes this year. We've run a handful for Warren. You know, the QB throws a bullet to a WR on the sideline who has a companion receiver block for him. The Patriots won four super bowls with that play.

I always liked the package, just don't like Allar on the field at the sams time as he is not a running or catching threat....he did throw to Warren against USC however.

Reactions: gamblepsu
I agree 100% but keep in mind that our one turnover occurred when Allar fumbled a snap.
Agreed. Interestingly, it was fourth down so the screwed-up play was going to result in W's possession anyway. It looked like we tried to quick snap W and weren't set. I was surprised we didn't kick a FG at that point. On the road and down by 3 early. I thought not making that First Down fed into W's momentum after a 9 play, 54 yard drive. Fortunately, Wisconsin got called for a holding play and couldn't come back from a 2nd and 19 resulting in a punt.

BTW, the W punter was exceptional all night.

Reactions: bdgan
I always liked the package, just don't like Allar on the field at the sams time as he is not a running or catching threat....he did throw to Warren against USC however.
I am surprised we haven't seen Beau move out from the QB position and run a pass route. He's got the wheels.

I thought Blackledge did a nice job of explaining AK's offense. On one play, PSU lined up three TEs and a RB wide left. They then ran a simple slant back to the right for ten yards. Blacklege explained that AK often lines up exotic looks and then runs a simple play from that formation while the D is distracted.

We did the same on the final TD when Beau lined up behind the left guard and pretended to take the snap. Kaytron was behind the Center and took the direct snap. A direct snap to a RB is not exotic but the pre-snap window dressing was.

Not so sure they can as all of those 5 stars (Sawyer, JT, etc...) have not lived up to expectations and many OSU people are starting to point fingers at Larry Johnson who is now in his 70s. Maybe time for him to retire?

In fairness, it wasn't so much Pribula as the "package" itself that some people didn't like.

What we saw on Saturday night was a lot more than a package. For the first time in his Penn State career, Beau had the reins turned over to him with the game and possibly the season on the line. He had to make throws...and he did. He had to make plays...and he did. He delivered big-time. And our D stepped up. Both aspects...Beau and the D...were critical to the win.

Reactions: RickinDayton
We ran a lot of shovel passes to Warren and Kaytron to offset Wisconsin's pass rush as well.

I am not seeing very many quick outside passes this year. We've run a handful for Warren. You know, the QB throws a bullet to a WR on the sideline who has a companion receiver block for him. The Patriots won four super bowls with that play.
Gotta use Singleton more in the passing game IMO.

Reactions: Obliviax
Hey, BP did GREAT with Wisconsin being his first meaningful game as the leader of the offense for more than just a few plays at a time and when the game wasn't well in hand. Wiscy was 5-2, on a 3-game winning streak and playing at home in a prime-time game. They had momentum and a chip on their shoulder. BP had to lead his team to victory and that's exactly what he did. Also, in case anyone forgot, BP was ranked #8 QB by ESPN and #6 by Rivals (Allar was #5). We are lucky he has stuck with the program knowing he was always going to be behind Allar.

Hate the package--still hate the package
We've seen it break up the flow of the game many times. Beau would still have real reps against teams like Ken State
Beau played well--most backups not take snaps away from the starter and there's a reason for that.

Exactly right though I would not say UW D was inferior. Their O was vastly inferior. D was a solid group who held our first team in check for two quarters.

Beau did not look good on first drive. I called out CJF for having unprepared backup. He settled down but we were a wisp away from several TOs which would have changed outcome. He was a competitor..no doubt. He won that game. That pass to Liam was money as well as his scramble for key first down. AK also called great game for young QB

Meh. It was a 4th down sneak where he was short of the line to gain, so Drew's fumble was essentially irrelevant.

Beau isn't Tebow
And Allar is infinitely better than Leak
That was also nearly two decades ago and is the only one you could reference which proves my point
Ok, well Michigan did it occasionally last year and won the National Championship. Is that better?

I am surprised we haven't seen Beau move out from the QB position and run a pass route. He's got the wheels.

I thought Blackledge did a nice job of explaining AK's offense. On one play, PSU lined up three TEs and a RB wide left. They then ran a simple slant back to the right for ten yards. Blacklege explained that AK often lines up exotic looks and then runs a simple play from that formation while the D is distracted.

We did the same on the final TD when Beau lined up behind the left guard and pretended to take the snap. Kaytron was behind the Center and took the direct snap. A direct snap to a RB is not exotic but the pre-snap window dressing was.
I assume OSU's approach to dealing with Pribula with maximum pressure, snuffing out the shovel pass, watching out for wildcat, and keeping him in the pocket.

You are often so confident that you are right, and always proven wrong. I'm thinking you don't follow college football as closely as you say you do.

You're wrong. He was in for a trick play. Read your own link
Orji last year 0/0 passing--not a single attempt. He had 1 attempt the previous year
He had 11 rushes throughout the entire regular season.
I don't understand how you're claiming that's wrong. I'm allegedly a Michigan fan but you think you know how Orji was actually used lmao

You're wrong. He was in for a trick play. Read your own link
Orji last year 0/0 passing--not a single attempt. He had 1 attempt the previous year
He had 11 rushes throughout the entire regular season.
I don't understand how you're claiming that's wrong. I'm allegedly a Michigan fan but you think you know how Orji was actually used lmao
From the article:

Michigan inserted another quarterback into the game on Saturday — not because of injury, or equipment malfunction. It was all part of a designed play to help jumpstart the offense.

And it worked.

This is Michigan. Last year's National Champion.

How many non-garbage time passing attempts did Beau have this year?

Again, just admit you were wrong. There are other teams that have inserted the backup QB at times for a change of pace or a small package of plays. It is successful sometimes. Sometimes not. Sometimes very successful teams have done it.

It is far from the worst thing Franklin and his staff has done.

From the article:

Michigan inserted another quarterback into the game on Saturday — not because of injury, or equipment malfunction. It was all part of a designed play to help jumpstart the offense.

And it worked.

This is Michigan. Last year's National Champion.

How many non-garbage time passing attempts did Beau have this year?

Again, just admit you were wrong. There are other teams that have inserted the backup QB at times for a change of pace or a small package of plays. It is successful sometimes. Sometimes not. Sometimes very successful teams have done it.

It is far from the worst thing Franklin and his staff has done.
For A PLAY
And it was "per the artilce" a trick play not part of their offense like the Beau package
It's not the worst thing they've done--it's also far from a good thing.

For A PLAY
And it was "per the artilce" a trick play not part of their offense like the Beau package
It's not the worst thing they've done--it's also far from a good thing.
Oh, I must have missed the games where Beau comes in at QB for 10 plays at a time...

Oh, I must have missed the games where Beau comes in at QB for 10 plays at a time...
Lol who said at a time. Orhi didn't attempt a pass all year and averaged less than a carry a game. Most of which came in blowouts. He didn't even see the field in almost half their games. Use a valid comp...you just don't have any

Lol who said at a time. Orhi didn't attempt a pass all year and averaged less than a carry a game. Most of which came in blowouts. He didn't even see the field in almost half their games. Use a valid comp...you just don't have any
I gave you the Florida one. You didn't like that one because it proved you wrong you say it was too long ago.

Oklahoma used Blake Bell a lot in this role. Great teams. I remember JT Barrett and Cardale Jones having a set up like this at Ohio State. It's been done, and been done with success.

I gave you the Florida one. You didn't like that one because it proved you wrong you say it was too long ago.

Oklahoma used Blake Bell a lot in this role. Great teams. I remember JT Barrett and Cardale Jones having a set up like this at Ohio State. It's been done, and been done with success.
2 decades ago--yes, you gave me Florida
None of those guys--Bell, Barrett or Jones were just like Beau
Tebow is a great example--if Beau was better or Allar wasn't elite like Leak wasn't.

I was not one of the people complaining but the pribula package was dumb.

It screws up momentum and the flow of the offense. The offense actually is scoring less points than last year. Will the pribula package supporters be pushing for a grunkmeier package? Forget that bs.

The offense should do a better job and the pribula package should be the the forth quarter. Pribula would have actually got more reps with my plan.

It screws up momentum and the flow of the offense. The offense actually is scoring less points than last year. Will the pribula package supporters be pushing for a grunkmeier package? Forget that bs.

The offense should do a better job and the pribula package should be the the forth quarter. Pribula would have actually got more reps with my plan.
I completely agree. My recollection is that the package hasn’t been all that successful in gaining that many yards when compared to other plays they could / did use. You’re literally playing with one less offensive player (Allar) out of the game to participate since he seems to just move to the sidelines during the plays.

Reactions: LionDeNittany

It sure looked dumb this past weekend. I guess, to some all QBs have the same physical talents and developable attributes. I am not in that camp.

Agreed. Having Allar as a WR is a wasted position.

Can you toss it back to him and have him throw? Sure.

But it's easier to just hike him the ball directly without Beau on the field.

Right here, Rip. I simply thought it disrupted the offense.

Whatever happens with Pribula in this game he has proven that he is a very capable back-up that many including me, had concerns about his readiness. That was a pressure packed situation and he excelled.
Good on him.
Fans that attend this game need to give him patience and unwavering support.

He didn’t just throw a pass. They won the USC game with that play which was set up by what they did previously with that package all season.

Agreed. Having Allar as a WR is a wasted position.

Can you toss it back to him and have him throw? Sure.

But it's easier to just hike him the ball directly without Beau on the field.
Except that they beat USC with that package that they set up beautifully for half a season.

I completely agree. My recollection is that the package hasn’t been all that successful in gaining that many yards when compared to other plays they could / did use. You’re literally playing with one less offensive player (Allar) out of the game to participate since he seems to just move to the sidelines during the plays.
USC game amnesia?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT