ADVERTISEMENT

Where we stand with Recruits 1/22

Has anyone considered that maybe Ferns has lost interest in PSU because he might be rethinking his major (Petroleum Engineering), given the oil collapse and pressures around the climate change debate? He has to consider 30-40 years from now, and I would think in that timeframe the leading edge work will be in energy alternatives.

This is just wild speculation of course but it would be a concern to me if I were in his shoes. Back in the 70s I chose Chemical Engineering because of the "energy crisis." That enabled a good paying job at the B.S. level. Had that not happened I probably would not have chosen that major. Might have gone with Engineering Science or chemistry/physics and an advanced degree.

Ferns could certainly choose many other good PSU degree programs in science or engineering but if he felt PSU was a top choice because of its leading Petroleum Engineering Program maybe that ship has sailed.

Has anyone considered that maybe Ferns has lost interest in PSU because he might be rethinking his major (Petroleum Engineering), given the oil collapse and pressures around the climate change debate? He has to consider 30-40 years from now, and I would think in that timeframe the leading edge work will be in energy alternatives.

This is just wild speculation of course but it would be a concern to me if I were in his shoes. Back in the 70s I chose Chemical Engineering because of the "energy crisis." That enabled a good paying job at the B.S. level. Had that not happened I probably would not have chosen that major. Might have gone with Engineering Science or chemistry/physics and an advanced degree.

Ferns could certainly choose many other good PSU degree programs in science or engineering but if he felt PSU was a top choice because of its leading Petroleum Engineering Program maybe that ship has sailed.

If the reconsideration of the major was a factor, I think OSU would be atop his list. The fact that his visit was cancelled just yesterday after a month where he had more than one crystal ball pointing him to PSU with Pry leading the charge (and Pry being promoted to DC) would point more to weather than anything else. I'm not saying this means he ends up at PSU but to not take an official while not committing anywhere would be a surprise.

If the reconsideration of the major was a factor, I think OSU would be atop his list. The fact that his visit was cancelled just yesterday after a month where he had more than one crystal ball pointing him to PSU with Pry leading the charge (and Pry being promoted to DC) would point more to weather than anything else. I'm not saying this means he ends up at PSU but to not take an official while not committing anywhere would be a surprise.
As VantyLion said, if it weren't for his desire for that major he would be committed to OSU already. Your fears for the oil industry are vastly overblown. Prices fluctuate and while the West may turn to alternatives that have a higher initial cost but are cheaper over the long term there is still a large portion of people the world over burning their own feces to stay warm. We're likely to see football go away before oil.

We should probably stick to recruiting though in this thread...

Reactions: garw and psu2016
Phil Grosz just said PSU is in the lead for his services.

Rest easy!

o_O:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:o_O

;):(;)

:mad::confused::mad:

:)

Good post The Glove.

Any other recruiting news from Phil?
Missed all but the last few minutes of his radio show with Jed. Thanks

Reactions: PSU77sh
I hope he decides that PSU is the place but he and his family have missed every major recruiting opportunity that Coach Franklin and his staff have provided. I would bet WVU gets his signed letter.

Other sites still saying that he missed due to weather, most likely. Hope that's true. When was the last time we had Ferns on campus, anyhow? Seems like it must be a decade ago.

On the other hand, because of his brother, he's been to WVU a million times and still has not committed. If you were so inclined it would be easy to read into that in a positive fashion.

Other sites still saying that he missed due to weather, most likely. Hope that's true. When was the last time we had Ferns on campus, anyhow? Seems like it must be a decade ago.

On the other hand, because of his brother, he's been to WVU a million times and still has not committed. If you were so inclined it would be easy to read into that in a positive fashion.
Been to wvu a million times and has yet to commit to them as well. Says something I believe...

Bumping this back up since a Pitt fan brought the old one back to life. Here is the newest news from the old one.

This is sad. I feel really bad for this kid as he has it rough. I really hope his playing football and getting a degree can help him and his family. I have to think at this point it is going to be Temple, but we shouldn't stop talking to him just in case.

In addition to this after his official visit to MSU was over Hill went to Michigan Sunday. No idea if that means anything because his brother is there. As I said in the OP I think he will do his own thing and he's been to MSU and Michigan numerous times and remains uncommitted. I'd like to see Franklin go visit him this week and I doubt he takes his official to Clemson.

I just wanted to bump this discussion up ahead of the previous one to which some were strangely responding.
It was a Pitt fan rubbing in Watts, but as you can see in my OP in this thread I didn't think we'd get him.

Bumping this back up since a Pitt fan brought the old one back to life. Here is the newest news from the old one.

This is sad. I feel really bad for this kid as he has it rough. I really hope his playing football and getting a degree can help him and his family. I have to think at this point it is going to be Temple, but we shouldn't stop talking to him just in case.

In addition to this after his official visit to MSU was over Hill went to Michigan Sunday. No idea if that means anything because his brother is there. As I said in the OP I think he will do his own thing and he's been to MSU and Michigan numerous times and remains uncommitted. I'd like to see Franklin go visit him this week and I doubt he takes his official to Clemson.

Sorry to hear of the death in Karamo's family. Prayers for him and his family for their loss.

Reactions: bytir
In hind sight Franklin should have over-signed to allow for those that get cold-feet. (I do not want to get into why I think that happens).
Hopefully he will "sign" 4-5 kids over the number he thinks he can truly sign. Wheeler comes to mind - should have allowed him to verbal.
Certainly we will never know the true story on these "commits" but we can speculate.

I just wanted to bump this discussion up ahead of the previous one to which some were strangely responding.
Agree. Some of our visitors are outstaying their welcome. Of course they are the poster children for negative recruiting. (Shades of JJ @ PL.)

On a different note, anyone have insight into NJ's Quayshon Alexander? Nebraska commit whose brother plays for Rutgers? Surprised he had to go so far from home. But just now visiting Rutgers.. and Indiana?!

I hope Harbaugh won't let Dwumfour down but it does seem a bit of a mismatch.

Hudson to decide 1/27

Ill Verbal DT Antonio Shelton has an offer and visiting this weekend

Pitt Verbal WR/RB Maurice Ffrench offered today

Also read today Aaron Hansford wants to be a WR now. Total guess- he's going to be a headache wherever he lands

Reactions: bmw199
Hudson to decide 1/27

Ill Verbal DT Antonio Shelton has an offer and visiting this weekend

Pitt Verbal WR/RB Maurice Ffrench offered today

Also read today Aaron Hansford wants to be a WR now. Total guess- he's going to be a headache wherever he lands

Ggood to Kknow...

Maurice Ffrench
New Brunswick, NJ (New Brunswick)

Athlete
  • Ht 5-11
  • Wt 180
  • 40 4.40
  • CLASS OF 16

Always was a tough get from Detroit but the kid does seem to have an independent streak which is admirable. Would love to have him because I think he would be a leader here and flourish as opposed to being one of the crowd in Michigan somewhere. We are, the best school for him. Hope he realizes that.

He does mention that he has to do what is best for him. The easiest thing to do is to stay home. Maybe that statement is telling.

So do we know for a fact that Hudson didn't get the last minute at-home from JF?

Reactions: bmw199 and bmejnes
He does mention that he has to do what is best for him. The easiest thing to do is to stay home. Maybe that statement is telling.

So do we know for a fact that Hudson didn't get the last minute at-home from JF?
I agree with your thoughts..

As much as I realize Hudson and Hamlin are lost, I think we end up with Hill!

Haven't heard, but Franklin was in FL yesterday afternoon as Chi pointed out. Was there a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Pittsburgh last night?

Hudson's PSU bound GF this morning tweeted: "Actually Pretty Excited
1f44f.png
"

The fact she included the "Actually" is kinda like the nail in the coffin here...

Haven't heard, but Franklin was in FL yesterday afternoon as Chi pointed out. Was there a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Pittsburgh last night?

Hudson's PSU bound GF this morning tweeted: "Actually Pretty Excited
1f44f.png
"

The fact she included the "Actually" is kinda like the nail in the coffin here...
How so? I think its totally up in the air with him. I honestly dont believe the michigan hype with him. I think hes psu bound

How so? I think its totally up in the air with him. I honestly dont believe the michigan hype with him. I think hes psu bound
Everyone else has declared it over. Including all "insiders". I feel as I am wishing against hope.

Franklin would have visited Hudson as planned last night if his decision were still up in the air.
This must have been premium info bc I never actually saw anyone say it was planned to go see him. And if it was planned how did he make it to FL so fast? I feel like someone was way off here.

Everyone else has declared it over. Including all "insiders". I feel as I am wishing against hope.
I got ya... I just feel everyone is simply guessing at this point...
Franklin would have visited Hudson as planned last night if his decision were still up in the air.
good point i didnt know that...

Serious question and i come in peace.... Its been reported franklin has reached out as many as 5 pitt commits over the past couple days to gauge interest in visting psu... IF this is true do you guys feel its him just trying to prove psu's power over pitt? Or DO you think he has legitimate interest in some of these kids?

IF this is true do you guys feel its him just trying to prove psu's power over pitt? Or DO you think he has legitimate interest in some of these kids?
It's being spurned by our original targets.

I got ya... I just feel everyone is simply guessing at this point...

good point i didnt know that...

Serious question and i come in peace.... Its been reported franklin has reached out as many as 5 pitt commits over the past couple days to gauge interest in visting psu... IF this is true do you guys feel its him just trying to prove psu's power over pitt? Or DO you think he has legitimate interest in some of these kids?
I would have to guess it's legitimate interest. He wants to fill out the class, and don't take this as a diss, but he's working on some plan B. Unfortunately at this point, the Pitt kids probaly know they are plan B recruits and would rather stick with Pitt where they are plan A recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT