ADVERTISEMENT

Where we stand with Recruits 1/22

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Update: So this is probably the biggest recruiting weekend of the year for Penn State. First, I’ll hit everyones remaining schedules as they are of the time of writing this (they change that quickly that I need that qualifier) and then I’ll give my take on what it means and who I think we’ll get. All of our commits should be in Happy Valley this weekend, minus Quinn Nordin who instead will visit Baylor and then round out his visits at USC on the 29th. In addition to our commits Hamlin, Fern, Hudson, and White will be here on their official visits this weekend. Doesn’t look like the weather will stop anyone from making it in. Hamlin and Hudson will be in Pitt on the 29th and Ferns will be WVU. White is not scheduled anywhere, but you would have to think that if he doesn’t flip this weekend then he will take his official to WVU. Lavert Hill will be in MSU this weekend and is scheduled to be in Clemson on the 29th but I am skeptical he keeps that visit. Snelson and Darien are both scheduled to visit for the 29th now, which is awkward because I doubt PSU would take a commitment from both and Snelson is definitely a higher take than Darien, so we’ll see how that plays out. Dioubate will visit MSU this weekend also and then as soon as that visit is over he will head to USCe to visit there Sunday through Tuesday. Next weekend Dioubate has an all star game and can’t visit anywhere, although don’t be surprised if he takes a visit on the 30th or 1st or even as soon as he gets back from USCe, where to? Well it could be a really good spot of a really bad one, PSU or OSU. Barbir is scheduled to official in Rutgers this weekend and had scheduled a trip to Louisville for the 29th but it looks like that will be canceled for him to visit PSU. Watts will be in Pitt this weekend and doesn’t have a visit scheduled for the 29th yet, but I think it will be to Miami. Fuller will be taking an OV to Michigan this weekend and has no plans on the 29th. Hansford will be in Texas A&M and will now be out of OVs. In the land of unicorns, rainbows, and sugar plums (if you can’t tell from my sarcasm, let be clear there is no chance of us getting him, but I will include it anyway), Gary will be taking an unofficial to Michigan this weekend and currently has no plans for the 29th.

Let me start my analysis by just eliminating a few people; Hansford and Fuller continue to keep us in their top whatever number they have of schools, but it is just so there are enough hats on the table when they choose not bc we have any chance. Nixon eliminated us and I think what happened there was Franklin bought low and the stock appreciated way beyond what anyone thought and grew to the point where enough southern schools were interested that we didn’t really have a shot anymore. I’m not sure Watts is that interested or that we will actually go after Shelton unless we lose another DT. Our DT targets in 2017 are really really good and are very interested in us, we could add a 2017 DT commit in February. The situation at that position isn’t as bad as some are making it out to be. Nordin is so out. Just look at Simmons tweets from last night:

Now on to the good stuff I think the best chance of a commitment this weekend is White flipping. Ferns would be second on my list, but it is likely that Him, Hamlin (Feb 1st on KDKA), Hudson, and Hill all will decide on signing day. I think we will ultimately prevail in each case, which would just be HUUUGE (in my best Jimmy Fallon impersonating Donald Trump voice). While Hamlin likes OSU and Hudson Michigan, I just don’t see it, and I never thought either would go to Pitt so I think Miles, JoeMo, and Limegrover will really help lock them up. Hamlin announcing on KDKA means nothing to me and I still think he ends up going to Penn State. I don’t think Hill wants to stay in Michigan and his mother had said she wants him to go his own route and I think the reason for the decommit was bc of local pressure which when it comes down to it, it’s his decision and he’ll make the one he wants to, which was Penn State once already. We are getting a lot of Crystal Balls for Snelson and I agree. He will be a really great get and reminds me a lot of Godwin, who might be playing his last season of Penn State football this year before deciding to play on Sundays. Like I said before, I think the Snelson situation makes the Darien situation very uncomfortable bc they have to know we are only taking one WR. I think we flip Babir, because Rutgers. The most interesting person is Dioubate. I don’t think he’s leaving the state, so it’ll end up being either PSU or Temple. I really hope Franklin can find a way to get him back on campus or another visit down to Philly bc I feel there is still a solid chance there.

Overall, I think 6 more commits, 7 with Babir replacing Nordin, and 8 if we can get Dioubate back. That is a class of 24 or 25 that should be ranked anywhere from 8-11.

Flip Potential: 4* S JUCO White (WVU), 4* WR Snelson (MINN), 3* K Barbir (Rutgers), 3* DT Shelton (ILL), 3* WR Darien (Temple)

Commit Watch:
4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 4/3* S Hudson

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hill

In The Battle:
4* DT Dioubate, 3* DT Watts

Work Left To Do:
4* OLB Hansford, 4* ATH Fuller

Have To Get Really Lucky:
5* DT Gary, 4* WR Nixon

Former Interest:
JC DT Chavis, 4* OT Williams, 3* OT Niang

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none), and Former Interest(players that Penn State was previously interested in that most likely no longer have committable offers).

Last edited:
Update: So this is probably the biggest recruiting weekend of the year for Penn State. First, I’ll hit everyones remaining schedules as they are of the time of writing this (they change that quickly that I need that qualifier) and then I’ll give my take on what it means and who I think we’ll get. All of our commits should be in Happy Valley this weekend, minus Quinn Nordin who instead will visit Baylor and then round out his visits at USC on the 29th. In addition to our commits Hamlin, Fern, Hudson, and White will be here on their official visits this weekend. Doesn’t look like the weather will stop anyone from making it in. Hamlin and Hudson will be in Pitt on the 29th and Ferns will be WVU. White is not scheduled anywhere, but you would have to think that if he doesn’t flip this weekend then he will take his official to WVU. Lavert Hill will be in MSU this weekend and is scheduled to be in Clemson on the 29th but I am skeptical he keeps that visit. Snelson and Darien are both scheduled to visit for the 29th now, which is awkward because I doubt PSU would take a commitment from both and Snelson is definitely a higher take than Darien, so we’ll see how that plays out. Dioubate will visit MSU this weekend also and then as soon as that visit is over he will head to USCe to visit there Sunday through Tuesday. Next weekend Dioubate has an all star game and can’t visit anywhere, although don’t be surprised if he takes a visit on the 30th or 1st or even as soon as he gets back from USCe, where to? Well it could be a really good spot of a really bad one, PSU or OSU. Barbir is scheduled to official in Rutgers this weekend and had scheduled a trip to Louisville for the 29th but it looks like that will be canceled for him to visit PSU. Watts will be in Pitt this weekend and doesn’t have a visit scheduled for the 29th yet, but I think it will be to Miami. Fuller will be taking an OV to Michigan this weekend and has no plans on the 29th. Hansford will be in Texas A&M and will now be out of OVs. In the land of unicorns, rainbows, and sugar plums (if you can’t tell from my sarcasm, let be clear there is no chance of us getting him, but I will include it anyway), Gary will be taking an unofficial to Michigan this weekend and currently has no plans for the 29th.

Let me start my analysis by just eliminating a few people; Hansford and Fuller continue to keep us in their top whatever number they have of schools, but it is just so there are enough hats on the table when they choose not bc we have any chance. Nixon eliminated us and I think what happened there was Franklin bought low and the stock appreciated way beyond what anyone thought and grew to the point where enough southern schools were interested that we didn’t really have a shot anymore. I’m not sure Watts is that interested or that we will actually go after Shelton unless we lose another DT. Our DT targets in 2017 are really really good and are very interested in us, we could add a 2017 DT commit in February. The situation at that position isn’t as bad as some are making it out to be. Nordin is so out. Just look at Simmons tweets from last night:

Now on to the good stuff I think the best chance of a commitment this weekend is White flipping. Ferns would be second on my list, but it is likely that Him, Hamlin (Feb 1st on KDKA), Hudson, and Hill all will decide on signing day. I think we will ultimately prevail in each case, which would just be HUUUGE (in my best Jimmy Fallon impersonating Donald Trump voice). While Hamlin likes OSU and Hudson Michigan, I just don’t see it, and I never thought either would go to Pitt so I think Miles, JoeMo, and Limegrover will really help lock them up. Hamlin announcing on KDKA means nothing to me and I still think he ends up going to Penn State. I don’t think Hill wants to stay in Michigan and his mother had said she wants him to go his own route and I think the reason for the decommit was bc of local pressure which when it comes down to it, it’s his decision and he’ll make the one he wants to, which was Penn State once already. We are getting a lot of Crystal Balls for Snelson and I agree. He will be a really great get and reminds me a lot of Godwin, who might be playing his last season of Penn State football this year before deciding to play on Sundays. Like I said before, I think the Snelson situation makes the Darien situation very uncomfortable bc they have to know we are only taking on WR. I think we flip Babir, because Rutgers. The most interesting person is Dioubate. I don’t think he’s leaving the state, so it’ll end up being either PSU or Temple. I really hope Franklin can find a way to get him back on campus or another visit down to Philly bc I feel there is still a solid chance there.

Overall, I think 6 more commits, 7 with Babir replacing Nordin, and 8 if we can get Dioubate back. That is a class of 24 or 25 that should be ranked anywhere from 8-11.

Flip Potential: 4* S JUCO White (WVU), 4* WR Snelson (MINN), 3* K Barbir (Rutgers), 3* DT Shelton (ILL), 3* WR Darien (Temple)

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hill

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

5* DT Gary, 4* OT Williams, 4* WR Nixon

Former Interest:
JC DT Chavis, 3* OT Niang

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none), and Former Interest(players that Penn State was previously interested in that most likely no longer have committable offers).
Good stuff, as always. Thanks.

Now on to the good stuff I think the best chance of a commitment this weekend is White flipping. Ferns would be second on my list, but it is likely that Him, Hamlin (Feb 1st on KDKA), Hudson, and Hill all will decide on signing day. I think we will ultimately prevail in each case, which would just be HUUUGE (in my best Jimmy Fallon impersonating Donald Trump voice). While Hamlin likes OSU and Hudson Michigan, I just don’t see it, and I never thought either would go to Pitt so I think Miles, JoeMo, and Limegrover will really help lock them up. Hamlin announcing on KDKA means nothing to me and I still think he ends up going to Penn State. I don’t think Hill wants to stay in Michigan and his mother had said she wants him to go his own route and I think the reason for the decommit was bc of local pressure which when it comes down to it, it’s his decision and he’ll make the one he wants to, which was Penn State once already. We are getting a lot of Crystal Balls for Snelson and I agree. He will be a really great get and reminds me a lot of Godwin, who might be playing his last season of Penn State football this year before deciding to play on Sundays. Like I said before, I think the Snelson situation makes the Darien situation very uncomfortable bc they have to know we are only taking one WR. I think we flip Babir, because Rutgers. The most interesting person is Dioubate. I don’t think he’s leaving the state, so it’ll end up being either PSU or Temple. I really hope Franklin can find a way to get him back on campus or another visit down to Philly bc I feel there is still a solid chance there.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hill

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:

Always a good read and sure hope you are right.

Reactions: bmw199
Your analysis is a bit more optimistic than what i've been reading elsewhere...and I love it! I hope you are right, I'd be ecstatic if what you predict comes to pass!

Reactions: LionJim and bmw199
Wow, very optimistic. If we can get 2 of Hudson, Hill, Hamlin and Ferns I'd be happy (I think we get Snelson, White and Babir too)

For Darien- if he is really 6'4 205 already I could see him being recruited as a TE and we take him and Snelson?

Great work as always

Reactions: PittPanther05

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hill

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:

thanks so much for these summaries. I haven't been following the Dioubate story, but is getting him back still a possibility? Is he coming for a visit again?

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hill

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:

Have been hearing that Ferns and Co. have yet to hit the road to Happy Valley....any updates?

Have been hearing that Ferns and Co. have yet to hit the road to Happy Valley....any updates?
Are you saying like you heard they haven't left, or just that you haven't heard that they did? They aren't the types to broadcast their movements. A little more Ron Swanson than that. Although, if you are saying that you heard they have not left yet then let's hope the fact that Holgorsen had an in home visit last night has nothing to do with it. Maybe he slept over?

EDIT: Correction, the in home was two nights ago.

Last edited:
thanks so much for these summaries. I haven't been following the Dioubate story, but is getting him back still a possibility? Is he coming for a visit again?
No plans right now and his schedule looks packed, but stranger things have happened. Any optimism I have for him comes from a meeting at his school last Thursday, I think it was, where both PSU and him came away feeling pretty good about where they stand with each other. I don't think there is any way he leaves the state which means we need to convince him to move 3 hours away instead of playing in the city for Temple.

Always a good read and sure hope you are right.
Your analysis is a bit more optimistic than what i've been reading elsewhere...and I love it! I hope you are right, I'd be ecstatic if what you predict comes to pass!
Wow, very optimistic. If we can get 2 of Hudson, Hill, Hamlin and Ferns I'd be happy (I think we get Snelson, White and Babir too)

For Darien- if he is really 6'4 205 already I could see him being recruited as a TE and we take him and Snelson?

Great work as always
I know this is a lot more positive then people are used to recently on the board, but I will say my Hill prediction is a little out on a limb and it is the least confident I am. All the others to me seem pretty reasonable, but that's probably because I'm the one saying it...

Reactions: garw

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hill

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:

Always very much appreciated

Reactions: bmw199

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hill

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:

A few notes from a Michigan perspective:

1) Hill: You keep saying his Mom wants him out of Michigan. I'm not going to doubt you heard that somewhere but I will say I've heard something different. What I've heard is she doesn't want him to make a decision based on his friends. His friends are a couple people at Michigan and a couple kids going to MSU. Thus she wanted (and still wants) him to consider out of state schools and not just the schools his friends are at and/or going to. That is not the same thing as wanting him to leave and wots is that she actually prefers Michigan. With that said wots is this is trending towards MSU because his buddies are in his ear...guess Mom knows her son. Note: this is not me saying he is not going to end up at PSU...it's fluid

2) Hudson: I don't disagree on your gut feel on him. I do think at this moment Michigan leads but that could be because it is new and fresh to him...and he is just coming off his OV. We'll see how he feels once once he puts some time distance between him and the OV. As you point out, it's now PSU (and it's commits) to try to sway him and I don't think Michigan did enough where that can't happen...and it wouldn't take a monumental effort to do so (imo).

3) Dwumfour: I know you don't list verbals, even if they are looking around, but this late in the process and with this kid you might consider it. I would actually be quite interested on your take on the situation. My take is, even though he hasn't decommitted, PSU is behind right now. He hasn't officially/publically decommitted because he doesn't have to. He is either signing with PSU or flipping to Michigan (no one else is in play) and both staffs know where they stand...including that PSU knows they need to swing him back.

4) Fuller: It seems you feel similar to how I do about our respective school's chances. Quite honestly I'm surprised we are still in this. However, I've heard that he's legitimately considering all schools still on his list and it's not just lip service (i.e. another hat for the table). With that said it doesn't mean all schools are even and for either of our schools to land him I do think it would take a perfect close on his recruitment (my guess right now is tOSU...not going out on a limb on that as I think that is most people's guess).

5) Gary: You keep mentioning him so I might as well also. For the last few months it's been Michigan with one other team (as his top 2) with who that other team is constantly changing. Last week that was Ole Miss...this week it appears to be Clemson. With Clemson there are some family connections that it more than conceivable that if they are the last "flavor of the week" they could walk out with the prize.

Just my two pennies

You keep saying his Mom wants him out of Michigan.
That is not what I said. Read it again.
I don’t think Hill wants to stay in Michigan and his mother had said she wants him to go his own route

I think Dwumfour was intrigued by Michigan bc Gary is leaning there and all of the other Jersey talent going there this year. I think he really liked it, but he said when he initially committed that Penn State was where he wanted to go and was thrilled to get the offer he wasn't sure he was going to. Visiting this weekend with the other commits he should get those feelings back and reaffirm his commitment on Sunday.

That is not what I said. Read it again.

I think Dwumfour was intrigued by Michigan bc Gary is leaning there and all of the other Jersey talent going there this year. I think he really liked it, but he said when he initially committed that Penn State was where he wanted to go and was thrilled to get the offer he wasn't sure he was going to. Visiting this weekend with the other commits he should get those feelings back and reaffirm his commitment on Sunday.
On the first point...someone else said the other day and I guess my eyes played tricks on me and I read something (in your post) that wasn't there...my bad

On the second point...appreciate your response...that could very well happen (him reconfirming his commitment) but I would be a little more worried about this if I were you. Word is that he considered cancelling his PSU visit...obviously he didn't

On the first point...someone else said the other day and I guess my eyes played tricks on me and I read something (in your post) that wasn't there...my bad

On the second point...appreciate your response...that could very well happen (him reconfirming his commitment) but I would be a little more worried about this if I were you. Word is that he considered cancelling his PSU visit...obviously he didn't
Besides Penn State being the offer he wanted. A few months back he was having some trouble in Math class and joking tweeted that he needed John Urschel's help and Urschel tweeted him back and told him to Direct Message him. Stuff like that creates a bond between you and the university. Part of why I think he'll stick.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* CB Hill

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

5* DT Gary, 4* WR Nixon

Former Interest:
JC DT Chavis, 4* OT Williams, 3* OT Niang

Reality is the staff has to hit a homerun with the 2 from the 412. They also have to come from behind with Dwumfour who may be getting played a bit by JH, but that is a different story. Gary should have been off this list months ago, not even mentioned. Fuller has dropped PSU. Hill is not a very good chance, it's about a 33% chance with UM and MSU. That all could go out the door when he visits Clemson and the bag man there fills up his backpack. Hopefully Snelson does make it next weekend and enjoys it.

Are you saying like you heard they haven't left, or just that you haven't heard that they did? They aren't the types to broadcast their movements. A little more Ron Swanson than that. Although, if you are saying that you heard they have not left yet then let's hope the fact that Holgorsen had an in home visit last night has nothing to do with it. Maybe he slept over?

EDIT: Correction, the in home was two nights ago.

Sorry - to clarify, have heard that Ferns and his family have not left for State College, and that White may not make it either. FWIW.

Really hope we can get Hamlin or Hudson (both obviously ideal). Otherwise, looks like with the exception one of the new WR offers and the new K offer, we're finished for this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - to clarify, have heard that Ferns and his family have not left for State College, and that White may not make it either. FWIW.

Really hope we can get Hamlin or Hudson (both obviously ideal). Otherwise, looks like with the exception one of the new WR offers and the new K offer, we're finished for this year.
I legit can find anything on this. Did you hear something to indicate he's not coming?

And just like that there is something on Twitter. Well, I couldn't be right on everything. If we miss out on him then so be it. Hopefully we get all of the others.

Isn't it possible that Ferns' family is affected by the weather?
It's quite possible, but this weather wasn't a surprise to anyone. Then again if he had a test or the parents couldn't get off on time...maybe it's legit. The problem is that it has been 10 months since his last visit and every time he is supposed to visit something pops up. Let's put it like this...I'll believe he's in HV when there are pics of him in HV at this point in time. It sounded like PSU was very much in the thick of things but sometimes it may just be false smoking being put out there.

Well, if you look at weather.com for St. Clairsville, looks like it is snowing there.

They are in Ohio, I dont think it's bad there, but I guess they are close to the area that would be bad.
Unless they've moved since his older brother was a recruit where they live is really kind of West Virginia. While they are on the Ohio side of the river it is a suburb of Wheeling (yes, even cities that small have suburbs). So the weather is going to be similar to what is happening in Pitt.

It always seems that something happens shortly after I put these out that would make me change it had I waited a few hours. If I were doing this now I would certainly downgrade Ferns. Some are saying weather, others are saying bc he made up his mind. I get the feeling those who thought they had a read on him to PSU might have been wrong.

It always seems that something happens shortly after I put these out that would make me change it had I waited a few hours. If I were doing this now I would certainly downgrade Ferns. Some are saying weather, others are saying bc he made up his mind. I get the feeling those who thought they had a read on him to PSU might have been wrong.
All will be revealed very soon.

As I said in another thread, I came over to this board to see what you guys were saying about Ferns and White cancelling their visits...

Looks good for WVU with Ferns with all his cancelled PSU visits and family ties to WVU, but he never talks to anybody so ya never know what he'll do on signing day.

IMO, you were always way off with Kyzir. Too many WVU ties with both of his brothers for him to go anywhere else.

As I said in another thread, I came over to this board to see what you guys were saying about Ferns and White cancelling their visits...

Looks good for WVU with Ferns with all his cancelled PSU visits and family ties to WVU, but he never talks to anybody so ya never know what he'll do on signing day.

IMO, you were always way off with Kyzir. Too many WVU ties with both of his brothers for him to go anywhere else.

White loved his USC OV. I'd rate them as the favorite.

I only came around on Kyzir flipping last week. Until then I thought there was no chance, I'm not sure how long you've followed my posts but that was a recent thing for me. As Judge points out, it's not just us he was looking at. As far as I kind find, he doesn't have set plans next week. Now, it would be likely that he visits WVU.

Both Ferns and White could mid-week to PSU.

It would look better for WVU if Ferns and/or White do not make it to PSU altogether before signing day, which remains to be seen. With the last minute cancelation and a foot of snow on the ground in central PA, I'd say the weather was a big factor.

I'd be a bit surprised given the past month of his recruitment that he does not spin up to PSU's campus for a day or two before deciding. He's been so low key throughout the process, which is rather refreshing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT