ADVERTISEMENT

Where will the staff be Friday at midnight?

Eastern HWT

Jan 3, 2015
Just figured I would start a new topic and get everyone thinking about recruiting. Friday midnight is the first time the coaches can talk to HS wrestlers. Who do you think they will make contact with first, verbally committed guys or new recruits?

Usually some interesting tweets from prospects with coaches in their living rooms.

BTW- Friday midnight is also the end of Cael's contract without an announcement of an extension or new contract. Personally, it scares me that football and basketball get extensions four years in advance, but signing the guy who has won six of the last seven NCAA titles, and has the best recruiting class in history verbally committed is not Important and he could be without a contract on Saturday.

Reactions: diggerpup
It could be that the university and Cael have reached an agreement between themselves and don't need the fanfare that Cael nor the University would need after the deal has been done.

Cael is on record saying that he's going no where and loves the job and loves Penn State. When you've created a dynasty at a particular institution... and you love your job and surroundings, and there is no foreseeable end to that dynasty, is there a need for speculation? No... there's no story here.

Go ask Nick Suriano if Cael's staying? o_O

I was tempted to start a similar thread a week or two ago. Not because I wanted to start a new topic -- it was a combo of there is a history of such threads every year, plus, I'm not sure how CS will handle things with so many recruits having already verballed. I thought it would be interesting to see what opinions folks would have as to which of the verbals CS will visit, or if he'll be elsewhere trying to add to the class. I'm still interested to read how others think CS will handle his schedule on July 1 and the following days.

He will get the biggest contract ever in college wrestling. It's only money, and PSU has plenty of it. What does Cael have left to accomplish? He has it made in the shade. Just cruising like Gable now. Good for him.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Theoretically, Cael + Casey or Cody could be in Pottstown at midnight, have breakfast outside Pittsburgh, and be in Tucson in time for dinner. Not expecting that ... but it would be quite a statement.

The op raises an interesting point about the fact July 1st usually starts a lot of activity in recruiting since $$ can be officially discussed. At this point I just hope PSU can hold on to the guys they have. I've got the over/under of losing at least 1 verbal in the next 30 days.

We should also see some action with several recruits considering a few of the other big name programs. It's been relatively quiet on the recruiting front and I suspect a lot of the better non committed guys were waiting to talk money before making a decision. Curious to see where Sasso, Carr, Parris, Silva, ect. end up.

I think JLee, Snacks, Beard, and Wittlake are super solid. With family, location and their college dreams realized with this recruitment.

maybe a need would be to shore up Teasdale, only because he committed else where to start and rumor is that hawks have maintained an open line since the switch. Smart on their part, but I dont think this is an issue.

RBY concerns me because its no secret he can get more $ elsewhere. He is going to be in for a bit of a culture shock with the weather, rural nature, etc. So if anyone needs shored up it would be him. This is where I would like to see cael and skip a trip to aruba.

Man what a haul of talent, really amazing.

2017 and 2018 classes leave what, 125 as the only need in the next 2 cycles? 133 or 141 or, 157 or 165, 184, 197 & hwt

I think JLee, Snacks, Beard, and Wittlake are super solid. With family, location and their college dreams realized with this recruitment.

maybe a need would be to shore up Teasdale, only because he committed else where to start and rumor is that hawks have maintained an open line since the switch. Smart on their part, but I dont think this is an issue.

RBY concerns me because its no secret he can get more $ elsewhere. He is going to be in for a bit of a culture shock with the weather, rural nature, etc. So if anyone needs shored up it would be him. This is where I would like to see cael and skip a trip to aruba.

2017 and 2018 classes leave what, 125 as the only need in the next 2 cycles? 133 or 141 or, 157 or 165, 184, 197 & hwt
How funny would it be if one of the coaches showed up at Joe Lee's apt in State College at midnight Friday, and said now we're allowed to talk with you.

Theoretically, Cael + Casey or Cody could be in Pottstown at midnight, have breakfast outside Pittsburgh, and be in Tucson in time for dinner. Not expecting that ... but it would be quite a statement.
WTF - are Wittlake and the Lees going to Rutgers????????

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

Beard, Teasdale, RBY?

At this point I just hope PSU can hold on to the guys they have. I've got the over/under of losing at least 1 verbal in the next 30 days.

Interesting... So you'd put the line at 1.5?
:eek:

I agree RBY may be the biggest concern in the 2018 class, but not a major concern. He had the perfect opportunity to change his verbal when Teasdale flipped his verbal to Penn State from Iowa; in fact, many were stating it was a done deal he was gone. It did not happen. In addition, he is very close to Mark Hall and Mark Hall, in his own words is 'a Nittany Lion forever'. I think the 2018 class verbals are pretty solid. Of course, this all assumes Cael is still the coach on July 1.:)

How funny would it be if one of the coaches showed up at Joe Lee's apt in State College at midnight Friday, and said now we're allowed to talk with you.

there are worst towns to drown your sorrows from rejection in.

Cael should host a web conference from The Room while the current team members work out in the background (a voluntary "Clock Strikes Midnight" practice, so to speak). Have all the recruits (verbals and invitees) on the line together, discuss the future of Penn State Wrestling with them as the next Generation Domination.

I'll bet there is a rule against somethig like that . . . but it is a fun thought nevertheless. Oops, dropped the f-bomb again.

Cael should host a web conference from The Room while the current team members work out in the background (a voluntary "Clock Strikes Midnight" practice, so to speak). Have all the recruits (verbals and invitees) on the line together, discuss the future of Penn State Wrestling with them as the next Generation Domination.

I'll bet there is a rule against somethig like that . . . but it is a fun thought nevertheless. Oops, dropped the f-bomb again.
If you wear 3D glasses to watch dodgeball on a videocon, does the ball appear to come thru the screen?

i like that idea, that would be f** and different. Our wrestling and program sells itself and in that does its own marketing. I get it.

i just wish they did a little more to open the program to the world. thats me being selfish because by evidence of this class they dont need to change anything they are doing.

keep winning, keep scoring points, keep having f**

Hopefully at home with their families........so the recruits can be with theirs. The work has already been done.

Now posters on wrestling boards, we need to be united in fretting about rumors and packing our bags to get in line for the next cruiseliner. Worrying about how big 8 graders are going to be when they get to college. Terrified over tweets from twits and confabbing over corn.

I was tempted to start a similar thread a week or two ago. Not because I wanted to start a new topic -- it was a combo of there is a history of such threads every year, plus, I'm not sure how CS will handle things with so many recruits having already verballed. I thought it would be interesting to see what opinions folks would have as to which of the verbals CS will visit, or if he'll be elsewhere trying to add to the class. I'm still interested to read how others think CS will handle his schedule on July 1 and the following days.
Here's my take...

We won't know anything until after the fact, IF Cael visits anyone at the stroke of midnight this year. He's ALWAYS recruiting...not in the official sense, but being the forward-looking guy he is, it's always on his mind. Can he squeeze in another recruit? Not sure, myself, and I haven't heard anything.

One clue can be found by looking at the numbers.
29 - Roster guys returning (though there's almost always a guy or two that leaves the program before graduating).
7 - Recruits coming in (I think this is accurate: Lee, Manville, Berge, Verkleeren, McLanahan, Blumer, Obenderfer, Hoeg).

That gets us within 1 (29+7=36) of the mandated max of 37, so we're really close.

6 - 2018-19 verbals (Bravo-Young, Lee, Wittlake, Teasdale, Beard, Nevills).
3 - Graduating seniors after the 2017-18 season (McCutcheon, Retherford, Wissler)

Right now, it looks like the inn is close to being full for the 2018-19 season. In fact, if you do the math, we're 2 wrestlers over the stated max if no one departs...which they will, and only time will tell who that is.

Not sure if folks saw this.. Article about senior rankings... Steveson is #1 and PSU have the next 5 in a row.... Excerpt below..

Steveson is a two-time UWW Cadet National and world champion in freestyle at 100 kilograms, and was a UWW Junior National freestyle champion in freestyle at 120 kilograms this spring. While he is still age eligible to compete at the Cadet World Championships, he has outgrown the upper-most weight class (100 kilograms), and will be competing this summer at the Junior World Championships.

The next five wrestlers in the Class of 2018 prospect rankings are all verbally committed to Penn State, the two-time defending national champions and winners of six national titles in the last seven seasons. No. 2 Seth Nevills (Clovis, Calif.) is also a three-time state champion and a 285-pound wrestler; No. 3 Travis Wittlake (Marshfield, Ore.) was a Cadet world bronze medalist last year in freestyle at 76 kilograms, and seeks to improve upon the finish this summer; No. 4 Gavin Teasdale (Jefferson-Morgan, Pa.) and No. 5 Roman Bravo-Young (Sunnyside, Ariz.) are both projected light-weight wrestlers with Cadet World Championships experience; while No. 6 Michael Beard (Malvern Prep, Pa.) is a two-time National Prep champion and three-time finalist.

Question - can the coaches contact students in the class of 2019 on Saturday, not not discuss scholarships? If yes, who do we think they are reaching out to, beside Adam Busiello?

To further clarify, September 1st is the date for 2019 (Juniors). And scholarships can be discussed, just no formal aid awards offered - that's July 1 before senior year.

And to clarify further, per HR, an under-the-table lump sum kickback for a NLWC "salary" from the Slush Fund to pay off all undergrad student loans can be discussed anytime -- just never via email or phone.

And to clarify further, per HR, an under-the-table lump sum kickback for a NLWC "salary" from the Slush Fund to pay off all undergrad student loans can be discussed anytime -- just never via email or phone.
And to clarify even further, according to HR, Cael just puts it on the NLWC Visa.

That is obviously false: when you've won 6 of the last 7 titles, it's Master Card.

And to clarify even further, according to HR, Cael just puts it on the NLWC Visa.

That is obviously false: when you've won 6 of the last 7 titles, it's Master Card.

A contract point still being negotiated is black amex cards for all staff.

For HS Seniors, graduating in 2018, early signing of NLI is 11/8/17 - 11/15/17. That's when the Financial Aid commitment is accepted by the signing student-athlete.

For class of 2019 Seniors, it'll be 11/7/18 - 11/14/18...too far off to even speculate.

Not sure if folks saw this.. Article about senior rankings... Steveson is #1 and PSU have the next 5 in a row.... Excerpt below..

Steveson is a two-time UWW Cadet National and world champion in freestyle at 100 kilograms, and was a UWW Junior National freestyle champion in freestyle at 120 kilograms this spring. While he is still age eligible to compete at the Cadet World Championships, he has outgrown the upper-most weight class (100 kilograms), and will be competing this summer at the Junior World Championships.

The next five wrestlers in the Class of 2018 prospect rankings are all verbally committed to Penn State, the two-time defending national champions and winners of six national titles in the last seven seasons. No. 2 Seth Nevills (Clovis, Calif.) is also a three-time state champion and a 285-pound wrestler; No. 3 Travis Wittlake (Marshfield, Ore.) was a Cadet world bronze medalist last year in freestyle at 76 kilograms, and seeks to improve upon the finish this summer; No. 4 Gavin Teasdale (Jefferson-Morgan, Pa.) and No. 5 Roman Bravo-Young (Sunnyside, Ariz.) are both projected light-weight wrestlers with Cadet World Championships experience; while No. 6 Michael Beard (Malvern Prep, Pa.) is a two-time National Prep champion and three-time finalist.

FLO updated their Class of 2018 Big Board today. Anybody see where our recruits slot in? P4P still not updated yet (about 2 months past due).

Thank you to everyone for the farther information, especially the correct information from HR?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT