ADVERTISEMENT

White out is versus Washington in November

Notre Dame vs Florida State is showing as NBC 730 kick that week already.

Wouldn't it likely still be noon or 330? I'm failing to see another matchup that Fox would select without deciding on undefeated or lesser loss OSU or Michigan games. Oregon is at home that week and no USC.

While CBS has committed to carrying a Big Ten game in the 3:30 slot every week, it is possible for FOX and NBC to swap timeslots that week. So, we might see NBC with a Big Ten game at noon and FOX with a primetime Big Ten game that week (same with Nov 23 when NBC also has a nighttime Notre Dame game).

Also, we don't know which network has first (or second, etc) choice that weekend.

Just curious: what is our WON/LOSS record in whiteout games versus OSU and UM?

There will be a lot of camo and orange mixed in.

By that time of year, many people wear their hunting gear to the game.

Last edited:
Well, insiders have said it will be at either 3:30 or 8:00. That time of year, even a 3:30 game would be dark for most of the time.
With the current requirement of 6 hours to play an hour and a half game a 3:30 start could easily see halftime onward Pop. What theatre this has become.

With the current requirement of 6 hours to play an hour and a half game a 3:30 start could easily see halftime onward Pop. What theatre this has become.
Games are about 3.5 hrs long. Sunset around 5:30. Second half should be quite dark.

If it’s our usually drizzly, cloudy Nov day could be midnight dark by kickoff.

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter2
The good news about this is Penn State clearly is pushing for the best opponent possible for the White Out. They weren't going to accept playing Illinois or UCLA. Bad news is freaking Fox prevents us from making it vs OSU. OSU should be thanking Fox for saving them from having to deal with a Wjite Out for the foreseeable future.

The good news about this is Penn State clearly is pushing for the best opponent possible for the White Out. They weren't going to accept playing Illinois or UCLA. Bad news is freaking Fox prevents us from making it vs OSU. OSU should be thanking Fox for saving them from having to deal with a Wjite Out for the foreseeable future.
OSU doesn't seem to be very concerned about dealing with a White Out, historically speaking.

"Saving them" lol

It used to be that the B1G didn’t allow night games after October. Meaning late kickoffs - not games that finish at night. Is that still the case? I can’t recall if there have been 7pm kickoffs in November. Anyone know if the rule is still in place?

I believe the new television contract removed the teams veto power. Particularly because of the NBC 730 time slot. Remember the uproar from last year. We played Sparty at Detroit and OSU/Sparty was a 730 kick as well.

It used to be that the B1G didn’t allow night games after October. Meaning late kickoffs - not games that finish at night. Is that still the case? I can’t recall if there have been 7pm kickoffs in November. Anyone know if the rule is still in place?
There is no longer any “veto” ability and any Big Ten game can be chosen to air at night even in November. NBC has a primetime Big Ten slot all season long. That said, with the addition of west coast teams, there are locations that are more palatable for those late season primetime slots and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the old PAC teams tend to be featured more then.

Notre Dame vs Florida State is showing as NBC 730 kick that week already.

Wouldn't it likely still be noon or 330? I'm failing to see another matchup that Fox would select without deciding on undefeated or lesser loss OSU or Michigan games. Oregon is at home that week and no USC.
It almost certainly will not be considered for a noon kick or PSU wouldn't have opted to make it the whiteout. This was a compromise selection, they would have wanted a game with a guaranteed 7 PM time slot ideally, or at worst a 3:30 kick so that part of the game is still at night. Other games under consideration either couldn't commit to one of those time slots this far out, or were for opponents that didn't move the needle for a whiteout game. The bad news is that UW is likely to be a shell of what they were last year as they lost most players and coaches from that team, so there's a chance they are unranked coming into this game.

Maybe it’s just me, but I believe the most impactful visual of the white out is the opening of the broadcast through the first defensive series. 3:30 kick puts that in the daylight. Not any better than a noon kick IMO

Reactions: mnuccio2
It almost certainly will not be considered for a noon kick or PSU wouldn't have opted to make it the whiteout

I'm only going by the time slots. The NBC time slot is already filled that week. There is no obvious BNK selection that week. Check the schedule. All of the matchups that Fox could pick from are average today and will get better or worse depending on how the season unfolds.

On paper, PSU/Washington TODAY is the best Big 10 matchup and good luck predicting what is a good matchup from the Big 12 that week.

I think we'll see a lot of people wearing white trash bags over their coats. If it is windy then those bags will be flying all over the field if people take them off.

Tickets are going for 180 right now in the cheap seats.

If you can’t buy a $30 white sweatshirt in the next four months, your PSU fan card should be permanently revoked.

🙃

Reactions: mnuccio2
The last two....they lost and barely won thanks to our collapse. So I would say it at least makes them think about it.
That was 6 and 8 years ago, and "barely" doesn't count. I really don't think their current players and coaches are on the internet worrying about kickoff times, but to each his own!

That was 6 and 8 years ago, and "barely" doesn't count. I really don't think their current players and coaches are on the internet worrying about kickoff times, but to each his own!
My point is we have a better chance to beat them playing them at night in front of a raucous White Out crowd. 6 years ago was the last White Out vs them. But if you think it means nothing then stay satisfied playing the likes of Illinois for the White Out.

Washington is the key to the season. They are the second best team we play on paper. If we lose to tOSU and win the rest, Washington is our key to the playoffs

I would expect USC to be our second toughest game, especially with that being on the road
Yeah I agree with that. I like our chances better of beating UDub in HV versus going to the Coliseum and beating the Trojans. Not saying we can't win in LA but Franklin's track record in these big/bigger road games is not good.

Washington is the key to the season. They are the second best team we play on paper. If we lose to tOSU and win the rest, Washington is our key to the playoffs
I think you forgot about SoCal (USC). PSU plays @ USC this season.

Yeah I agree with that. I like our chances better of beating UDub in HV versus going to the Coliseum and beating the Trojans. Not saying we can't win in LA but Franklin's track record in these big/bigger road games is not good.
But both teams have serious rebuilding projects. We have new coaches and a new O line with weak receiver corp.

But game is late in season so both teams should be back up to speed by them……or train wrecks🤷🏿‍♂️

Weak defense
And Washington could be weak everything. We don't really know, they basically had complete starting roster and coaching turnover. They could be the best or worst team in the conference for all we know, they are a huge wild card going into the season.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT