ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s #1

West High gym? Yikes. James you know better than that! Hawkeye fans would been invading your crib!

I would expect that! Hawkeye fans are thick in the area. I just like wrestling to happen in smaller arenas unless the crowd will actually dictate the need for a large arena. Carver Hawkeye is a great place for a good old Iowa vs PSU dual, but maybe not the best place for a pre season high school event.

I realize they had a good attendance number but the optics were terrible in that huge half empty venue. Lehigh was much better, or maybe a smaller venue like Rec Hall!!

I realize they had a good attendance number but the optics were terrible in that huge half empty venue. Lehigh was much better, or maybe a smaller venue like Rec Hall!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it probably cost a lot more to rent CHA than to rent Grace Hall, only to get a few more bodies. Half empty is generous. More like 85% empty. Terrible optics.

2500 announced attendance. And it got LOUD.

:rolleyes:

I was there and in person it got very loud. The number of fans was not huge, not sure how many locals/ Iowa wrestling fans are interested in watching high school wrestling. I usually am not, but thought it would be fun to see the Iowa recruits and the other commits. I think college and world level wrestling is much more interesting. Maybe other areas of the country are more interested in attending high school events. The vast majority of the crowd was wrestlers and their families with die hard wrestling fans sprinkled in. $20 admission, maybe some thought it wasn't worth it. I had fun. Penn state recruits were good, Howard was a douche , but Bartlett was all class.

Go to the 1:13 or 6:58 mark on the Kennedy/Facundo match on Flo.

Also got pretty loud for the end of Ybarra's match.

I think people mean it was loud around them. But there is no way an empty arena got LOUD. Sorry.

I like this forum a lot, but do think sometimes people get carried away about petty things. Who cares about the crowd size , this event should be moved to different locations that have a decent fan base. There can be many variables on the attendance, including when it's held and other sports interest for the day.
Carver deserves to host these events on occasion just like NJ/PA should and NEB/OKL should.
Just enjoy the event.

PETTY?? I am sorry.....but I NEED to know. I need decibel readings from at least 6 different locations in the arena as well as the clinical definition of "loud" before I can determine the validity of the various statements from opposing viewpoints. This is serious. The integrity of BWI and HR hang in the balance. NO costs is too much.....up to 4.27. Let's get on it gentleman.

I was there and in person it got very loud. The number of fans was not huge, not sure how many locals/ Iowa wrestling fans are interested in watching high school wrestling. I usually am not, but thought it would be fun to see the Iowa recruits and the other commits. I think college and world level wrestling is much more interesting. Maybe other areas of the country are more interested in attending high school events. The vast majority of the crowd was wrestlers and their families with die hard wrestling fans sprinkled in. $20 admission, maybe some thought it wasn't worth it. I had fun. Penn state recruits were good, Howard was a douche , but Bartlett was all class.
why say that about Howard?

Reactions: danoftw
just the way he acted after winning, flexing to the crowd multiple times, general showboating. I mention it because he was the only one who did it and it was unnecessary.
I have no problem with kids flexing or showing emotion after winning a big match. They are super excited and are just showing their excitement, especially at a match like this when the 2 best from each weight class are wrestling.

just the way he acted after winning, flexing to the crowd multiple times, general showboating. I mention it because he was the only one who did it and it was unnecessary.

Then tell Evans to stay away from our impressionable recruits.

1687682b5f5909a9c5bb07b81b276d94.jpg

Besides being classy, we also want them to be champions.

All of those examples qualify as douchey. As does Mark hall screaming in Bo Jordan's face and Bo Nickal ranting "this is what we do here". JMO. I also said Bartlett was all class, but apparently you all quit reading after the douche comment.

Last edited:
All of those examples qualify as douchy. As does Mark hall screaming in Bo Jordan's face and Bo Nickal ranting "this is what we do here". JMO. I also said Bartlett was all class, but apparently you all quit reading after the douche comment.

Is an assistant coach challenging an opposing wrestler's dad to a fight in the parking lot considered "douche"? I'm trying to set up the boundaries and just need to know where to put the cones.

So, let me get this straight … you're an adult, calling a high school kid a name … and you think that's ok? For the record (my record, granted), it's never ok, regardless of which team you root for. Your logic that it's ok if you follow it up with a nicer comment about Bartlett is a shallow argument.

All of those examples qualify as douchey. As does Mark hall screaming in Bo Jordan's face and Bo Nickal ranting "this is what we do here". JMO. I also said Bartlett was all class, but apparently you all quit reading after the douche comment.

Bo was RANTING? LOL. Mark Hall was SCREAMING in Bo Jordan's face? LOL again. Your credibility at this point is less than zero.

Then gave his shirt to a kid and couldn't take a second to compliment the guy sitting behind him on his sweet mullet. Dude was hurt. Rude.
Why can't he just lose,score zero points then flick his ankle bands at opponent,put the elbow to him and talk like he's ready to rock while other guy gets his arm raised

And I'll take Rec Hall loud vs anywhere-else loud, any day.
I must admit--it's been FAR too long since the Hawks have had the honor of experiencing a (sold out, duh) Rec Hall on Friday night. I know, the BJC bouts are important--but I'm really hoping we can remind them next year.

Reactions: Ja1339
Why can't he just lose,score zero points then flick his ankle bands at opponent,put the elbow to him and talk like he's ready to rock while other guy gets his arm raised
Because he doesn't want to get shot?

Reactions: danoftw
I would expect that! Hawkeye fans are thick in the area. I just like wrestling to happen in smaller arenas unless the crowd will actually dictate the need for a large arena. Carver Hawkeye is a great place for a good old Iowa vs PSU dual, but maybe not the best place for a pre season high school event.

Learned many years ago as a public speaker, better to have a small room full than a large one empty.

why say that about Howard?

Howard may just end up being Cael's first legit heel. I say it's about damn time! I hate the fact that I find myself rooting for a majority of the wrestlers that PSU puts on the mat(when not wrestling Iowa). It will be refreshing to have one that I can hate on and feel ok with it.

Besides, its going to be some interesting reading when Hawk fans try to act upset/disgusted with him for doing the same things that many, many Iowa wrestlers have done. And then have PSU fans justify his actions while trying to forget all of the past insults thrown at other teams wrestlers. It's going to be f*n.

Howard may just end up being Cael's first legit heel. I say it's about damn time! I hate the fact that I find myself rooting for a majority of the wrestlers that PSU puts on the mat(when not wrestling Iowa). It will be refreshing to have one that I can hate on and feel ok with it.

Besides, its going to be some interesting reading when Hawk fans try to act upset/disgusted with him for doing the same things that many, many Iowa wrestlers have done. And then have PSU fans justify his actions while trying to forget all of the past insults thrown at other teams wrestlers. It's going to be f*n.
I was sitting near him at the NCAAs last year. My only thoughts on the young man were positive - even when NS would peek up to see him when he was warming up. Additionally, I thought his parents were super nice.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I thought Beau looked to be one of the most college ready participants. Beau and Voinovich both looked like they could be real hammers on top!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT