ADVERTISEMENT

Why Rutgers should be the WHITEOUT Game

Re: Agreed. It's either UM, or we don't have one

I know we did skip it one year. Which one I can't remember. I was upset about it
back then but it was the right thing to do ....back then......and now. Like you said
don't dilute it's importance. Go White Out for truly important games. At this point
I can't ever see a Rutgers game to be that important ever.

Re: Agreed. It's either UM, or we don't have one

Originally posted by PSUSignore:
I don't want to dilute the Whiteout game and have one just for the sake of having one. If there isn't an ideal opponent, date, time slot then skip it. I don't think the Whiteout has been an annual game in year's past, haven't we skipped some years?
+1

Thanks for posting; you are everything a fan should be

Rutgers is a competitive game and maybe it will become a real rivalry. Given PSU's awful early schedule, Rutgers is an important measuring stick for the team.

Defensively they are going to be tough this year. That was a good D last year and they were very young.

I think the question is going to be offense given that Fridge had to retire. That is losing a lot of Xs and Os genius and a lot of experience knowing how to pick apart opposing defenses.

PSU is going to be deeper and faster this year, but still lacking experience in a couple of key places -- OL, running back. Lacking depth at TE and LB probably.

If PSU can field a passable OL, if they can pass protect just a little better than last year, Hack might have his way with that Rutgers secondary because PSU has some big physical receivers who present matchup problems.

Agreed. It is a lesson to the schedule makers. You can't force a primetime

matchup that simply isn't there. Give us real matchups and it happens. Rutgers is blah. We may be circled on their calendar but they aren't the home team. It is ho hum and any attempt at a white out for Rutgers makes Penn State look small.

Originally posted by rutgersal:

Rutgers lost to PSU close, but beat Michigan and Maryland. PSU beat Rutgers, with the help of 5 RU TO's, but lost to Michigan and Maryland.
That's one way to look at it, or PSU forced 5 turnovers. PSU literally handed the games to Michigan and Maryland, PSU squandered late game leads in both. Even though PSU was under sanctions, they were clearly the best of the 4 teams in this post last season.

tumblr_lyfd2oYndJ1ql4dwn.gif

- Best, most talented team on your home schedule

It'll take years for Harbaugh to fix Michigan. I don't see any other home opponent coming close to Rutgers level.

- Programs are on the same level

Rutgers lost to PSU close, but beat Michigan and Maryland. PSU beat Rutgers, with the help of 5 RU TO's, but lost to Michigan and Maryland.
Since 2005, the programs have had similar talent most years.

- Rutgers should have more visiting fans than any other opponent

For a great stadium atmosphere, you need a sizeable opposition. I expect Rutgers fans to represent as I will

- Primetime viewing ensures maximum exposure

Why would you waste a whiteout on a non Primetime game?

- Exciting matchup

With it's USC caliber talent, Rutgers matches up well with anyone in the B1G. Much of our talent will have a chance to play Sundays. Left Tackle Keith Lumpkin, who stoned Randy Gregory, and Leonte Carroo, who was First Team All Big Ten by the BTN, should be first round locks. PSU will need every edge it can get. There's enough talent at Rutgers to beat Ohio State.
Hey Al, I live in West Orange. We could be neighbors and not even know it.

This post was edited on 4/14 1:01 PM by Howie'81

This post was edited on 4/14 1:59 PM by Howie'81

Originally posted by Howie'81:
- Best, most talented team on your home schedule

It'll take years for Harbaugh to fix Michigan. I don't see any other home opponent coming close to Rutgers level.

- Programs are on the same level

Since 2005, the programs have had similar talent most years.

- Rutgers should have more visiting fans than any other opponent

For a great stadium atmosphere, you need a sizeable opposition. I expect Rutgers fans to represent as I will

- Primetime viewing ensures maximum exposure

Why would you waste a whiteout on a non Primetime game?

- Exciting matchup

With it's USC caliber talent, Rutgers matches up well with anyone in the B1G. Much of our talent will have a chance to play Sundays. Left Tackle Keith Lumpkin, who stoned Randy Gregory, and Leonte Carroo, who was First Team All Big Ten by the BTN, should be first round locks. PSU will need every edge it can get. There's enough talent at Rutgers to beat Ohio State.
Hey Al, I live in West Orange. We could be neighbors and not even no it.

This post was edited on 4/14 1:01 PM by Howie'81
I think if you were a neighbor of Al, you would definitely know it.
wink.r191677.gif

When Al says USC talent I think he means Upper St Clair***

Re: I vote we pass on a White Out game this season.

Originally posted by MontereyLion:
The White Out should be for Special games, on prime time TV, at prime time.
The Rutgers game on BTN is not prime in any way. Michigan will be too late
in the season for a White out. By mid November white t shirts turn into dark
coats. Not White Out material.
This years Rutgers team is special. I truly believe that our roster is more loaded than Fort Knox. You'll find out soon enough.

This years Rutgers team is special. I truly believe that our roster is more loaded than Fort Knox. You'll find out soon enough.
You may believe it, but no one else appears to. The highest I've seen Rutgers picked in the East is 5th. Really, I understand your enthusiasm but why don't you, and other Rutgers fans, shut the hell up until you actually accomplish something. Beat us, win a major bowl game, finish in the top 25, have a top 25 recruiting class, something...anything. Until you do, your unrealistic projections make you look like a fool.

Re: Programs on the same level?

Originally posted by lionlurker:
When we've got all the good NJ players?

Heh heh.
i assure you, that you don't have em all. we've got a few too.

Originally posted by fairgambit:

You may believe it, but no one else appears to. The highest I've seen Rutgers picked in the East is 5th. Really, I understand your enthusiasm but why don't you, and other Rutgers fans, shut the hell up until you actually accomplish something. Beat us, win a major bowl game, finish in the top 25, have a top 25 recruiting class, something...anything. Until you do, your unrealistic projections make you look like a fool.
Haven't you ever heard of rutgersal? He does this schtick where he pretends Rutgers is great, and everyone laughs. Some of his posts are quite entertaining.

laugh.r191677.gif

Why can we not have TWO white out games per year.............Don't think it would lose its luster........any harm in it?

White out at NIGHT is much better than day........especially how it looks to millions of viewers at home!!!

I agree. If the best we can do for a White Out is a mediocre team, with no history, like Rutgers, the name "White Out' has lost all it's meaning.

Originally posted by pandaczar12:
Haven't you ever heard of rutgersal? He does this schtick where he pretends Rutgers is great, and everyone laughs. Some of his posts are quite entertaining.
Yeah, he's kind of a Rival's institution, never known him to attack another team or poster...

Re: Last year made it 23, I believe.

Great,
Moved to Missouri and living a life where every day is a Saturday.
Been a while since our last visit to University Park. Hope to get to a game there this fall.
How are you and yours?

It shows how bad the schedule has become since joining the Big Ten. Back in the 70's and 80's Rutgers and Temple were kind of taken for granted as being on the schedule and not much excitement due to the one sided rivalry and strength of programs. Now Rutgers and Temple two of the best games due to all the other irrelevant opponents. Army and San Diego State this year will be more fun to watch than most conference games.

So Al, I'm not even going to start laughing because I really would like to know how you come to that conclusion? I'm serious, last year you compared 2014 Rutgers to the 2000 Miami Hurricanes and now this years' squad is special and loaded?

I'm honestly confused doesn't Rutgers lose their 4 year starting QB, 3 starting offensive lineman, 4 year starting FB, BOTH starting TE's, Starting WR (Turzelli), your starting RB is coming off an ACL tear, AND the Fridge bounced after the year giving you your fifth OC in 5 years... THATS JUST ON OFFENSE! On defense you LOSE 5 MORE STARTERS.

I'm sorry if I'm having a hard time understanding where your idea of Rutgers being special comes from, when I look at your team I see 2 maybe 3 guys TOTAL that would start for Penn State if they were here (Turay, maybe Carroo as our #2 (Deasean Hamilton is even with Carroo) maybe the O-linman you mentioned) But honestly that's it. I am even factoring Darius Hamilton into that statement as I believe that Zettle is the better 3 tech, Kyle Flood will confirm that.

I'm really not joking when I post this Al, most Rutgers fans on the message boards are complete ass clowns who bring up Sandusky as their answer to everything. I want the Rutgers Al answer as to why your team this year is special...

Obviously I believe this years PSU team is special, it will be the last time any kid who played for Paterno will put on the uniform (sad really), it also takes kids who stayed committed to our program during our darkest hour and finally are able to play on a level field again.

Thanks for coming to our board, Are you planning on coming up to the game this year?

Originally posted by Cruising Route 66:
Al..........who gets the starting QB nod and how do you see the Canes doing this year?
I expect Hayden Rettig to ultimately get TE nod but right now , it's a close race which could go either way. Canes have an Easy schedule but many in the fanbase expect this to be ALS last year. 8-4 seems right, though they could surprise to the upside.

Shall we meetup Saturday morning at our favorite place at 10 am?

Al..........who gets the starting QB nod and how do you see the Canes doing this year?
I expect Hayden Rettig to ultimately get TE nod but right now , it's a close race which could go either way. Canes have an Easy schedule but many in the fanbase expect this to be ALS last year. 8-4 seems right, though they could surprise to the upside.

Al,

Similar to Turay last year, whose going to be the breakout star for Rutgers on defense that we'll have to look out for?

Al, please don't ever change. We all know that only Rutgers has Jersey Power.

Ya' gotta' love RutgersAl.....

Truly, one of my long time favorites. The Swamplands version of KingAdBuck....the one fan of the program that you would enjoy having a beer with!.

Rutgers game should NOT be a whiteout game. Let's make it an "eraser" game. Everyone tape a gummy eraser to their shirt, that will show them :)
Can we whiteout EVERY game ? That will make it special.

Originally posted by Atpete07:

Al,

Similar to Turay last year, whose going to be the breakout star for Rutgers on defense that we'll have to look out for?
I want to answer you in a comprehensive manner, but i just don't have time right now. However, i'll try to respond tonite.

Big beautiful Block R video actually almost did make me fall out of my seat.

RutgersAl is something else. I actually think that Rutgers might have the worst team that they have had since Schiano's first few years. The terrible recruiting is going to start hitting hard this year.

Originally posted by Atpete07:
Al,

Similar to Turay, the following players should upgrade our defense

- 300 lb. NT Kevin Wilkins should prevent Darius Hamilton from being double teamed
- SCar transfer Kaiwan Lewis should be able to step in at MLB and improve our run defense
- Strong safeties Davon Jacobs and Kiy Hester are an upgrade over last years strong safety
- numerous other secondary players will allow Rytgers to play more aggressive defenses. I expect to see more man/man rather than zone

The following players should impact our offense

- Senior Right Tackle JJ Denman should be able to step in and play well
- Guard or Center Dorian Miller, who is a redshirt freshman, was one of NJs best linemen two years ago and redshirted last year
- 320 LB Guard Tariq a Cole redshirted last year and looks like he's going to be a good one
- Sophmores RBs Robert Martin and a Josh Hicks had tremendous games against Maryland and UNC. I'm optimistic that this year they'll be one of the best back combos in the B1G
- 6'3" WR Andre Patton played little last year due to injury,, but had a tremendous game against Maryland. He should be ready to go this year
- WR Ruhann Peele was suspended last year but is back this year. He made the game changing play against Arkansas two years ago, which ultimately spurred us to win that game

Quarterback is one area where we might take a step back as well have a first year qb in that role. We have two guys competing hard for the job. If we get good qb play from our first year qbs, just as OSU did from their first year qbs last year, the sky is the limit for us. All our guy will have to do is manage the game and avoid turnovers,

Overall, quality depth is much improved from a year ago, which is why some of us are excited.

Thanks for the answer Al. So is it too early to ask the RutgersAl prediction for Penn State's record next year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT