ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

One of trips to California, as I recall it, was a promise made to Nevills. I’m sure it’s also helpful in recruiting in one of the top wrestling states (California) to wrestle there.

I just don’t see a benefit to the PSU program or its fans in wrestling at Stillwater.

You're half way correct. Both McIntosh and Nevills. Btw, the Bako State meet inspired my son #3 to get into wrestling.

Reactions: mcpat
Cael be like:

turn-around-lion-king.gif
Posting at 4:11 am. Either your cat walked over your phone or you were up making a Ham sandwich.

EIther way that is unacceptable. I expect my ticket broker to get a good rest and get me my promised Iowa seats lower bowl and a Suite in Tulsa. We are 4 months away from the big dance (3 1/2 months away per the Iowa and Ohio State calendar) so get moving. And you call yourself a Warrior.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Maybe Penn State doesn’t want to travel to West Bum****, OK to wrestle a team that would be the 6th best team they wrestle in a dual meet in any given year, John.
Yea it would be a lot more fun to go to Ithaca to face Cornell 😄

Aside from Iowa and O$U, is there an opponent that would sell out a 2nd BJC event?

Maybe people were pinning their hopes on getting Iowa tix this year, and Mich Tix will sell out now?

Aside from Iowa and O$U, is there an opponent that would sell out a 2nd BJC event?

Maybe people were pinning their hopes on getting Iowa tix this year, and Mich Tix will sell out now?
Lehigh? I think I attended a Lehigh match at BJC.

I’m guessing Michigan will sell out this year. Lots of time left.

Which opponents didn’t sell out BJC and how close to a sell out was it?

Reactions: hlstone
Lehigh? I think I attended a Lehigh match at BJC.

I’m guessing Michigan will sell out this year. Lots of time left.

Which opponents didn’t sell out BJC and how close to a sell out was it?
All of the BJC duals with Cael as coach have sold out or close to sold out. We did wrestle Lehigh in BJC 6 or so years ago.

It was either Wisconsin or Minnesota that did not sell out at BJC years ago.

I'm sure Cael was disappointed. However my opinion he is more selective in the teams for that venue.

My opinion as sell out opponents are only Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan, Lehigh, Oklahoma State and Pitt in that order.

Some would not allow dynamic pricing.

A mini dual (round robin) with someone different like Virginia Tech and Arizona State would be fun.

All of the BJC duals with Cael as coach have sold out or close to sold out. We did wrestle Lehigh in BJC 6 or so years ago.
Yes, Dec 2016. That was the last time I was able to go to a PSU dual meet. I took my college-age daughters to it hoping to make fans of them. They got to see Suriano beat Cruz badly. . .alas they still didn't become wrestling fans!

I'm sure Cael was disappointed. However my opinion he is more selective in the teams for that venue.

My opinion as sell out opponents are only Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan, Lehigh, Oklahoma State and Pitt in that order.

A mini dual (round robin) with someone different like Virginia Tech and Arizona State would be fun.
By the time of the dual versus Wisconsin PSU was selling remaining tickets for $4 to try and sell it out.

• Wow
If I remember correctly Pitt might have been the first BJC match and they were $5. My son was on campus at the time and I treated four non wrestling fans of his to the match.

Today I would have to tap my HELOC to do it.

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
If I remember correctly Pitt might have been the first BJC match and they were $5. My son was on campus at the time and I treated four non wrestling fans of his to the match.

Today I would have to tap my HELOC to do it.
I believe the first wrestling dual at the BJC was in 1996 vs. Iowa--but I must be remembering wrong, because wrestling wasn't even invented yet.

I have been to all the BJC duals and used to also buy SRO Rec Hall tickets for select matches.

Dynamic pricing is new to Rec Hall tickets this year. The BJC dual always costed more than the Rec Hall tick

Posting at 4:11 am. Either your cat walked over your phone or you were up making a Ham sandwich.

EIther way that is unacceptable. I expect my ticket broker to get a good rest and get me my promised Iowa seats lower bowl and a Suite in Tulsa. We are 4 months away from the big dance (3 1/2 months away per the Iowa and Ohio State calendar) so get moving. And you call yourself a Warrior.

I am in Hawaii. That was happy hour.

200w.gif

Last edited:
I believe the first wrestling dual at the BJC was in 1996 vs. Iowa--but I must be remembering wrong, because wrestling wasn't even invented yet.
No, you are right, that was the first one in BJC. Gable was still the Iowa coach and about 20 minutes before the dual it was announced that he wasn't there as he was having hip replacement surgery. That was the dual Iowa had the dual clinched so frosh HW Wes Hand forfeited to Kerry McCoy which was met by many boos.

No, you are right, that was the first one in BJC. Gable was still the Iowa coach and about 20 minutes before the dual it was announced that he wasn't there as he was having hip replacement surgery. That was the dual Iowa had the dual clinched so frosh HW Wes Hand forfeited to Kerry McCoy which was met by many boos.
Yup, I was hyping up McCoy to my freshman dorm buddies all week. We participated in the boo’s—at least I did.

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat

Cornell probably would too.

Regularly strong team, and with several PA wrestlers.

He can't be directing his comment to PSU, though there's only one other perennial top-10 B1G team he could mean, so I'm not sure I fully understand Smith's griping. And I say that as a fan of his in some regards.

The teams OSU has significant history with; OK (178), IAST (83), IA (53), NEB (56), MIZZ (51), AZST (43), MINN (40) and a few others that no longer exist in D1, are the result of past conference affiliation or proximity-wise are convenient foes. Not unlike every other school, where cross-country jaunts during the regular season are generally limited to one or two each year (though I do see the Pokes heading east 3x this season), they wrestle schools close to them far more often than schools far away.

Michigan is praised in the interview, but only has 6 past duals vs OKST, the last being in 2004, and the one prior to that in 1998. Penn State, by comparison has 22 duals against OKST all-time, with the most recent being 2008, 2010, then a 4-match series from 2014-2017. We've wrestled them far more than any eastern team, and recency isn't the problem :confused:.

Of the other B1G teams, tOSU has wrestled them 4x (last in 2012), NU 4x, WIS 16x, ILL 15x and PUR 3x.

Of non-B1G teams that are eastern powers, CORN has wrestled them 6x and VT 1x. Even UNI, which is pretty good and "in the neighborhood" has only wrestled them 29x.

All-in-all, when I look at the facts, it's a bit of smoke blowing, so the comments get a gigantic MEH from me. I'd love to see us wrestle the 34-and-holding Cowpokes, the same as I'd like to see us wrestle a dozen or so other teams.

He can't be directing his comment to PSU, though there's only one other perennial top-10 B1G team he could mean, so I'm not sure I fully understand Smith's griping. And I say that as a fan of his in some regards.

The teams OSU has significant history with; OK (178), IAST (83), IA (53), NEB (56), MIZZ (51), AZST (43), MINN (40) and a few others that no longer exist in D1, are the result of past conference affiliation or proximity-wise are convenient foes. Not unlike every other school, where cross-country jaunts during the regular season are generally limited to one or two each year (though I do see the Pokes heading east 3x this season), they wrestle schools close to them far more often than schools far away.

Michigan is praised in the interview, but only has 6 past duals vs OKST, the last being in 2004, and the one prior to that in 1998. Penn State, by comparison has 22 duals against OKST all-time, with the most recent being 2008, 2010, then a 4-match series from 2014-2017. We've wrestled them far more than any eastern team, and recency isn't the problem :confused:.

Of the other B1G teams, tOSU has wrestled them 4x (last in 2012), NU 4x, WIS 16x, ILL 15x and PUR 3x.

Of non-B1G teams that are eastern powers, CORN has wrestled them 6x and VT 1x. Even UNI, which is pretty good and "in the neighborhood" has only wrestled them 29x.

All-in-all, when I look at the facts, it's a bit of smoke blowing, so the comments get a gigantic MEH from me. I'd love to see us wrestle the 34-and-holding Cowpokes, the same as I'd like to see us wrestle a dozen or so other teams.
Definitely missed ya, @RoarLions1
A boatload of facts,a gigantic , emboldened MEH, and the always delightful "and-holding" joke. Just the right ammount of spice, if you ask me. ;-)

Plus a Zelesky middle finger salute to those booing.

Reactions: danoftw
Plus a Zelesky middle finger salute to those booing.
Zelesky was Gable’s marionette on that though, from “A Season on the Mat:”

On Friday night in University Park, Pennsylvania, against fourth-ranked Penn State, a record PSU crowd of 11,245 watched the unbeaten Hawkeyes roll to their third straight victory, 22-15. Gable stressed to his assistants before they left that if the victory were assured, the best thing would be to forfeit at heavyweight and keep Wes Hand from facing the Nittany Lions' 1994 heavyweight champion Kerry McCoy so early in the season. "Hand's not ready yet," Gable reasoned.

"And he hasn't earned the right to wrestle somebody that good." Tom Brands broke the news to Hand, taking Royce Alger along for support. Hand was furious but power-less. Mark Ironside got a scare when, rolling through a move on the mat, he gave up a hip tilt to Dana Weber and was nearly pinned. But Ironside stormed back for a technical-fall vic-tory, 30-14, worth five points of Iowa's ultimate seven-point margin.

I would’ve have guessed that crowd was bigger than 11k, but I guess I would have been wrong.

Reactions: danoftw
One of the trips to California, as I recall it, was a promise made to Nevills (edit: or was it McIntosh?) I’m sure it’s also helpful in recruiting in one of the top wrestling states (California) to wrestle there.

I just don’t see a benefit to the PSU program or its fans in wrestling at Stillwater.
Cael made a promise? I was told here by a few seemingly in the know posters that Cael makes no promises to recruits.

Im still around. Just not as active. I throw a line here and there and a like when im just lurking.

Fall was nuts for my family. My dad passed very quickly from Cancer in August. Mom had a very bad stroke 3 weeks later. Shell be moving in with us, this weekend following transitioning out of nursing care. Physically she is fine, but her speech is not good, memory not so good and gets frustrated easily. Depression was setting in while in the nursing home, so we had to get her out of there and that isnt just as easy as I would have thought.

Kids each play two sports in the fall and we have way too much work with our business. Fishing and hunting trips also ate up some time. My son took his first buck with a bow last week. Super proud of that.

But probably the biggest things that keeps me off the board is I started playing a war game on my cell phone while I was in the hospital with my dad. It kept me somewhat sane during that period and I haven't been able to just break away. As I now have weird relationships with people from all over the planet trying to do quests and dumb sh!t. Its an odd social thing for me, but I enjoy it.

its just a weird-weird period for me with out my dad. Especially with hunting and PSU football happening as those were 2 things we really connected on.

Probably just need to .......
Toughen Up Pop Tv GIF by Big Brother After Dark
Dunke, sorry to hear this, that’s really rough. Take some time for yourself to work through it all — we’ll try to keep this place together while you’re in redshirt (though, with The Mat calling it quits, tHR has now inched a step closer 😉).

Hang in there, bud.

The thing about Levi being named the starter is that one on one attention the starters get as they build towards March. Whatever the kid is today (really good) he is miles ahead of that by March if he is the 157 pounder.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT