ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

Recruiting is tough. In equavitavtly sports it's even tougher. The recruiter must strike a chord with the kid. Is it one or more of the following;

Cost.
Starting.
Education.
Location.
Coaching.
Team culture.
Participating at the next level.

As an elite student/athlete, that is a lot to figure out.
Well said. These are high school kids in the neighborhood of 18 years of age, some (even many) easily influenced by things other than the important factors you note.

Reactions: hlstone
I don’t disagree at all— and individually, a lot of scenarios can make sense for a lot of kids. But it’d be pretty surprising to me if we wind up landing enough AA caliber guys with no money and no/little chance to start that we could place 2nd at NCAA’s with 10 backups.
I took the OP's meaning as the 2nd 'all-star' team, not a seasonal thing.
If you had Zain, DT, Starocci, Ruth, Bo & Casser on the 1st team, you could have Molinaro, Cenzo, Hall, Brooks, Q & Kerk on the 2nd team.
Or, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I don’t disagree at all— and individually, a lot of scenarios can make sense for a lot of kids. But it’d be pretty surprising to me if we wind up landing enough AA caliber guys with no money and no/little chance to start that we could place 2nd at NCAA’s with 10 backups.
The only way to find out is to let our backups wrestle unattached in the NCAAs. LOL.

Reactions: mcpat
I took the OP's meaning as the 2nd 'all-star' team, not a seasonal thing.
If you had Zain, DT, Starocci, Ruth, Bo & Casser on the 1st team, you could have Molinaro, Cenzo, Hall, Brooks, Q & Kerk on the 2nd team.
Or, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

That’s exactly how I read it and was confused that everyone seemed to be interpreting it differently.

Well it's not a duel.

This match is easy money. Bet 2000$ to make an easy 100$.
giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Only if the 9.9 gets doubled. We’ll have the occasional Seth Nevills, and often a Donovan Ball type (who I see as at best a R12 guy, which is incredible) or 2, but it would be hard to get 10 AA caliber guys to ride the pine for the best team unless they are also having their tuition covered, IMO.
All the other teams have gaps, you don't necessarily need a national champion at all ten weights... only 8 scoring wrestlers :)

Then there is the debate, could Bo, for example, be on the #1 team at one weight and the#2 squad at another? I won't get into that either.

Also note, we have both Nico and Nicky pushups at 125 for the two squads. Cassar and Kerk at heavy, yep I am calling that one now!

Matt Brown was the subject of a post in another thread recently. It had me thinking… Brown started for three years. Would have likely been an AA the year he didn’t. Was he the last of that breed?

(And as an aside… Iowa is wrestling a freshman up two weight classes to replace Assad. He’s reached his allotment of matches while not burning a shirt. They might forfeit against OKST. It’s tough to fill a 2nd string!)

Matt Brown was the subject of a post in another thread recently. It had me thinking… Brown started for three years. Would have likely been an AA the year he didn’t. Was he the last of that breed?
That still happens but the transfer portal will make it an even more endangered species.

In fact look at ASU this year, Richie Figs could AA but he's behind Brandon Courtney.

Recruiting is tough. In equavitavtly sports it's even tougher. The recruiter must strike a chord with the kid. Is it one or more of the following;

Cost.
Starting.
Education.
Location.
Coaching.
Team culture.
Participating at the next level.

As an elite student/athlete, that is a lot to figure out.
Also NIL money is now very very important.

(And as an aside… Iowa is wrestling a freshman up two weight classes to replace Assad. He’s reached his allotment of matches while not burning a shirt. They might forfeit against OKST. It’s tough to fill a 2nd string!)
Gilman?

Similar: Pletcher wrestled up a weight as a freshman because Tomasello. Decent chance of placing if he could've wrestled at 133, since he was the 12 seed at 141.

After that, he never placed below 4th.

He highlights that most guys capable of 3x AA will find their way into the lineup as a freshman, somehow, somewhere.

I wonder if Tom tries a different inspirational speech/speaker before every dual with us, hoping he finds the right magic combination of words. it’s a nice speech.

Any guesses what Cael’s pre-dual speech was? Some thing about how he’s going to win at dodgeball next time most likely.

I wonder if Tom tries a different inspirational speech/speaker before every dual with us, hoping he finds the right magic combination of words. it’s a nice speech.
Somebody should photoshop Brands onto here:

freedom-braveheart.gif

Any guesses what Cael’s pre-dual speech was? Some thing about how he’s going to win at dodgeball next time most likely.
That’s the creepy workout guy - surprised he wore a shirt.

2020:

PSU
RBY, Lee, Joseph, Hall and Brooks are champs. Rasheed 6th. Verk LWL. 109.5 points before bonus.

If RBY instead loses to SeaBass in semis and takes 3rd… 103 points before bonus.

Iowa
Marinelli was slated to see Wick in the quarters. Warner was going to see Rasheed in 2nd round (Rasheed had just beaten him at Big Tens). Young had just gone 0-2 at Big Tens and had lost his last 3 matches.

Lee and Yugo are champs. Kemerer 2nd to Hall. Cassioppi 3rd behind Steveson and Parris. DeSanto 4th. Marinelli 6th. Warner 7th. Murin WWLL. Young WLWL. Assad WLWL.

102.5 points before bonus.

2020:

PSU
RBY, Lee, Joseph, Hall and Brooks are champs. Rasheed 6th. Verk LWL. 109.5 points before bonus.

If RBY instead loses to SeaBass in semis and takes 3rd… 103 points before bonus.

Iowa
Marinelli was slated to see Wick in the quarters. Warner was going to see Rasheed in 2nd round (Rasheed had just beaten him at Big Tens). Young had just gone 0-2 at Big Tens and had lost his last 3 matches.

Lee and Yugo are champs. Kemerer 2nd to Hall. Cassioppi 3rd behind Steveson and Parris. DeSanto 4th. Marinelli 6th. Warner 7th. Murin WWLL. Young WLWL. Assad WLWL.

102.5 points before bonus.
Woods beats Lee in the semi’s or Pletcher beats him in the finals. Kemerer beats Hall in the finals. RBY loses to Gross in the finals. Any of these are legit possibilities and Iowa wins. I’m not claiming a 2020 title like some Iowa fans. However, it would be more of a scenario where PSU needs close to a perfect tourney and Iowa underperforms.

Reactions: mcpat
Woods beats Lee in the semi’s or Pletcher beats him in the finals. Kemerer beats Hall in the finals. RBY loses to Gross in the finals. Any of these are legit possibilities and Iowa wins. I’m not claiming a 2020 title like some Iowa fans. However, it would be more of a scenario where PSU needs close to a perfect tourney and Iowa underperforms.
You are correct. 2020 would have required PSU to nail the tournament. Based upon recent history is there something that you can point to that would make you think PSU probably doesn't nail it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT