ADVERTISEMENT

Why Wisconsin terrifies me (trap game)

africamurphy

Apr 1, 2019
The afterglow of Saturday is finally fading a bit, and like most of you, I'm analyzing our chances after the bye and beyond. And history tells us to be afraid of PSU's performance in this very position.

2017--Lose heartbreaker in Columbus. Hardly drop in the polls, but we go to a less talented #24 MSU team the next week, endure an ungodly storm delay, and fritter the game away. Most talented Franklin team wasted.

2018--Lose heartbreaker to OSU in Happy Valley. Get a bye. Come out flat after a bye week against unranked MSU team and lose again. No more top 10 ranking that season for us...

2019--8-0 and ranked #3 in the country. Coming off bye week, we travel to #17 Minnesota and lay an egg.

2021--start a solid 5-0 and ranked #4. Travel to #3 Iowa and lose a heartbreaker. Bye week...and come home and lose the worst game in PSU history, 9OT against a terrible Illinois team.

Three AWFUL performances that wasted our potential for the season coming right after a bye week...and all four seasons saw us lose to teams we should have beaten. I hope Franklin has learned from these trials and is determined to keep his players sharp physically and mentally because this road game to Wisconsin is by far our biggest TRAP game of the season

The afterglow of Saturday is finally fading a bit, and like most of you, I'm analyzing our chances after the bye and beyond. And history tells us to be afraid of PSU's performance in this very position.

2017--Lose heartbreaker in Columbus. Hardly drop in the polls, but we go to a less talented #24 MSU team the next week, endure an ungodly storm delay, and fritter the game away. Most talented Franklin team wasted.

2018--Lose heartbreaker to OSU in Happy Valley. Get a bye. Come out flat after a bye week against unranked MSU team and lose again. No more top 10 ranking that season for us...

2019--8-0 and ranked #3 in the country. Coming off bye week, we travel to #17 Minnesota and lay an egg.

2021--start a solid 5-0 and ranked #4. Travel to #3 Iowa and lose a heartbreaker. Bye week...and come home and lose the worst game in PSU history, 9OT against a terrible Illinois team.

Three AWFUL performances that wasted our potential for the season coming right after a bye week...and all four seasons saw us lose to teams we should have beaten. I hope Franklin has learned from these trials and is determined to keep his players sharp physically and mentally because this road game to Wisconsin is by far our biggest TRAP game of the season
Exactly, the unfortunate history is laid bare. Team needs to be reminded what happens when focus is lost.

Reactions: bdroc

Wisconsin's only two losses were to Alabama and USC. They dominated Rutgers & Purdue. It's a night game in Madison so the fans should be riled up.

ESPN gives us a 72% chance to win. That sounds about right.

Terrifies seems like a slight overreaction
These aren't games Franklin loses currently. The past 2 years and so far this year we've won every game we should have including the trap games
Wisconsin isn't very good. They're likely a 7 or 8 win team that could hang with us for a while but aren't talented or deep enough to beat us even if we play our C game

Last edited:
Wisconsin's only two losses were to Alabama and USC. They dominated Rutgers & Purdue. It's a night game in Madison so the fans should be riled up.

ESPN gives us a 72% chance to win. That sounds about right.
That same ESPN projection had USC favored to beat PSU by 52%, which was pretty close, so a 72% chance to win the Wisconsin game actually should be good news considering that it's a road night game in a tough environment.

Reactions: NedFromYork

I've been beating the same be-careful-of-Wisconsin drum in a couple threads here since the big win last Saturday. The Badgers are a good team and they'll have some obvious things going for them starting with home field.

That said, there's one huge difference between the painful history that you list and this year's Wisconsin game coming off the bye: most of your listed games preceding the trap were heartbreaking losses...and we just never recovered mentally. I mean, football has a huge mental component. Your frame of mind coming into games can make a crucial difference. We weren't mentally ready to play the games you mention.

As for the 2019 Minnesota game, I'm not sure we laid an egg. Minnesota was undefeated going in, and the game took place in their stadium. In fact, we would have beaten them if not for the phantom pick call that negated a TD that would have won the game late for us.

But coming back to this year, we're coming off a big win, and the way we won the game was almost as important as that we did win it. We're going to have confidence. We're going to be on a high. And unlike in 2017, 2018, and 2021, I think we're going to be mentally ready to play. Even so, don't get me wrong: I think you make good points and express valid concerns.

That same ESPN projection had USC favored to beat PSU by 52%, which was pretty close, so a 72% chance to win the Wisconsin game actually should be good news considering that it's a road night game in a tough environment.

Also, the way-too-early betting line has us favored by 7, which seems to be roughly consistent with the ESPN projection.

I hear what you are saying and agree we need to be focused for this game. Wisky can pose some problems for us if we are not careful. The examples you cited don't fit perfectly with this season.

'17 and '18 we were coming off a gut wrenching loss. This year we come off a big win. Different team psyche.

'19 is probably the best comparison but we were not as good as this year (especially if Allar continues to play well, eliminates interceptions) and Minny was better that year than Wisky is this year.

'21 coming off bad loss and didn't have a healthy QB.

My thought is if this team gained confidence and maturity through the USC game and specifically if Allar can use that game as a springboard to continue playing at a high level then we should be in good shape. The defense needs to come ready to play from the kickoff.

The consensus seems to be Wisconsin can pose problems for us--where exactly?
They aren't good running the ball or throwing the ball--their defense is at best mid
Defensively?
Is the concern just because it's a road game?

They aren't good running the ball or throwing the ball--their defense is at best mid
Defensively?

I've only been able to see extended highlights but the Wisconsin win against Rutgers wasn't as impressive as it appears. Rutgers lost a lot of players from last year, and has lost 3 or 4 key players to injry. Their D-line couldn't get pressure on the backfield at all, the Wisky QB (who has a nice arm) could just stand back there and wait for people to get open, or he could hand off to a running back who had 10-foot-wide holes to run through.

Wisconsin won't have nearly the speed that USC had at wideout and in the secondary. They're a good team, obviously much improved from the last couple of years. That stadium is loud. PSU needs to keep improving. The bye week should help giving PSU a chance to get healthy, fix some things, and let Kotelnicki install a few more plays. Funny how so often PSU struggles after the bye week though. Hope that won't be the case next week.

I've only been able to see extended highlights but the Wisconsin win against Rutgers wasn't as impressive as it appears. Rutgers lost a lot of players from last year, and has lost 3 or 4 key players to injry. Their D-line couldn't get pressure on the backfield at all, the Wisky QB (who has a nice arm) could just stand back there and wait for people to get open, or he could hand off to a running back who had 10-foot-wide holes to run through.

Wisconsin won't have nearly the speed that USC had at wideout and in the secondary. They're a good team, obviously much improved from the last couple of years. That stadium is loud. PSU needs to keep improving. The bye week should help giving PSU a chance to get healthy, fix some things, and let Kotelnicki install a few more plays. Funny how so often PSU struggles after the bye week though. Hope that won't be the case next week.
Good post--we do tend to come out slow in a bye week so hopefully that's not the case
I'm not sure how good Wisconsin is. They weren't dominant in their first two games. Hard to speak about the Bama game as Van Dyke got hurt on the opening drive. Purdue and Rutgers are just bad teams.
The USC game--they looked good early then USC's talent just took over. Wisconsin's second half in that game was horrific.
I'd actually be more worried if we were playing an awful team this week with Ohio State following because we may overlook them but I think Wisconsin's a big enough name that it will be fine.

Yep...certainly mindful of a letdown and PSU has not performed well coming out of byes. The Ill 9 overtime game was after a bye. Lets go to the stats, shall we?

• Wiscy WMU a W at 28-14. Nothing to be proud about.
  • Wisconsin beats South Dakota, 27-13. Again, a good college but not in the same division as the B1G
  • W gets beat by Alabama at home 42 - 10. AL runs for 181 and passes for 226. They have two turnovers.
  • W gets beat at USC 38-21 after leading at halftime 21-10. USC ends up with 469 total yards, 161 rushing and 308 passing. W has 106 and 180 respectively. SC has THREE turnovers to W's two.
  • They kill Purdue 52 - 6 with 589 total yards, 361 passing and 228 rushing. They throw 2 Ints but get 2 fumbles back.
  • They beat Rutgers at NJ 42 - 7. This is probably their most impressive W. They rush for over 300 yards and pass for 240. However, they turn the ball over twice to Rutgers 1.
So, it appears that W has a serviceable passing attack and a good running attack but has been plagued by turnovers. They've been improving but Rutgers just couldn't stop their rushing attack. Good W or good R? Overall

Team Passing, 904 yards. QB rating of 138 with 6 TDs and 4 INTs.
Team Rushing, 1159 yards

By comparison, PSU

Team Passing, 1,492yards. QB rating of 175 with 11 TDs and 4 INTs.
Team Rushing, 1,207 yards

PSU is clearly a better team but Wisconsin has had a much more difficult schedule having played both AL and USC. I think we win if we play our B game or better no matter how good W plays. If we play our C game, Wiscy could beat us with their A game. Also, while we have a bye, they travel to NW which is just a 3 hour bus ride away

Last edited:
Their RB is Oklahoma transfer who was somewhat productive for 1 year (500 yards rushing) before transferring to UW. He had 198 on 24 carries against RU. He is compact 5'9" about 218. He is probably like kid from WVU White that we bottled up. They lost QB Van Dyke and Locke has little experience after transfer from Miss St. He does not frighten me. It really comes down to line play. Our DL has to stop run and we have to tackle. If we force them to throw then I really can't see this being very close, maybe 10 point win at worst. We are not Purdue or RU.

Their RB is Oklahoma transfer who was somewhat productive for 1 year (500 yards rushing) before transferring to UW. He had 198 on 24 carries against RU. He is compact 5'9" about 218. He is probably like kid from WVU White that we bottled up. They lost QB Van Dyke and Locke has little experience after transfer from Miss St. He does not frighten me. It really comes down to line play. Our DL has to stop run and we have to tackle. If we force them to throw then I really can't see this being very close, maybe 10 point win at worst. We are not Purdue or RU.
yep...typical Wisconsin game: stop the run and force them to pass. On offense, establish the run then hit their weaker secondary with chunk plays.

That game was the only time this year they've had a 100 yard rusher
Walker had a nice day but was a little over 4/carry prior to that game

This should be a “ which one is not like the others “ question . While I agree with most of your post, 2021 is not like the others. We were manhandling Iowa until our most important offensive player and most important ( arguably) defensive player were injured, and left the game. This also directly affected the MSU game. With these players uninjured, we very likely would have beaten both of those teams handily, and had a good season. —That said, we will absolutely get a steadily improving Wisconsin team’s best game….at a difficult stadium to play in. ( This also goes for upcoming Minnesota )

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Wisconsin’s coach got Cincinnati in the playoffs. Three 11+ win seasons. Two top 10 rankings. Cincinnati!

Darn right I’m worried.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
I have CJF at 13-19 against ranked teams excluding the 2020 Covid season that I don’t think should be included and 2014-2015 when PSU was down scholarships. 12-13 during that time against ranked teams not named Ohio St.

It’s not great, but it’s also not as bad as advertised. Joe was 86-85-1 against ranked teams and didn’t have to play Ohio State every year until a quarter of century into his coaching career.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
As long as we pass to set up the run no one on our schedule can stop us. We get in trouble when we act as if our O-line is great instead of good and run when the opponent has loaded the box. Our weakness is still 3rd and long, if we stay out of that down and distance we can score abundantly in all remaining games with the possible exception of Ohio State.

What do ANY of those games have to do with 2024?

I have CJF at 13-19 against ranked teams excluding the 2020 Covid season that I don’t think should be included and 2014-2015 when PSU was down scholarships. 12-13 during that time against ranked teams not named Ohio St.

It’s not great, but it’s also not as bad as advertised. Joe was 86-85-1 against ranked teams and didn’t have to play Ohio State every year until a quarter of century into his coaching career.
Joe has a losing record vs OSU and UM. Don't forget the ANNUAL iowa loss. Joe has a losing record vs them too.

Why are we still talking about what Joe did?
The focus should be this team and continuing to build ourselves into contenders
Being "terrified" or "worried' about Wisconsin is just weird
To we think other major programs worry about those games? They don't. And they're mad when they don't win easily.

I'm typically not too worried about Wisconsin, we have done very well against them under Franklin. That said, we've also struggled after bye weeks, this game is on the road at night in what will be a jacked up environment, and this is the first time we are facing a Fickell coached UW. So there are a few things working against us but I do think we are pretty clearly the better team, as long as we play near to our abilities we'll be ok.

Reactions: mcpat
As long as we pass to set up the run no one on our schedule can stop us. We get in trouble when we act as if our O-line is great instead of good and run when the opponent has loaded the box. Our weakness is still 3rd and long, if we stay out of that down and distance we can score abundantly in all remaining games with the possible exception of Ohio State.
Wisconsin gives up 5.23 yards per play, which is a pretty big # (we are at 4.51 yards for comparison), and only has 10 sacks for the season (compared to our 14), and 3 interceptions (compared to our 5).

Our offense averages 7.21 yards per play, which is a pretty big # (Wisconsin is at 5.91 yards per play).

Road game or not, they would have to play their A+++ game, with a 2nd string QB, and we would also have to play a B or even C game, for them to overcome the trends, barring anything whacky (i.e. a critical injury, multiple bizarre turnovers).

And something that we all seem to be failing to recognize is that our Defensive Coordinator knows all of our upcoming opponents well, which has only been the case once this season.

Defensively?
I think their run game is pretty good but just basing that off the Rutgers game. I think they took advantage of Rutgers injuries so it may not be that good.

We just need to play a solid game and we should be fine. Don"t get behind, play good defense from the outset, no turnovers. Hopefully Singleton is more healthy. Let Warren do what Warren does.

I think their run game is pretty good but just basing that off the Rutgers game. I think they took advantage of Rutgers injuries so it may not be that good.

We just need to play a solid game and we should be fine. Don"t get behind, play good defense from the outset, no turnovers. Hopefully Singleton is more healthy. Let Warren do what Warren does.
Yeah the took advantage of the issues Rutgers has. That game is just an illusion.
Anything can happen. Vandy beat Bama. But this should be a nice warm up for Ohio State.

this road game to Wisconsin is by far our biggest TRAP game of the season

It very well could be, particularly with the Buckeye game in the immediate week after. I don't think the bye matters as much since we have 2 this year. If it does, what do we do in the playoff? Pray we make the ccg and lose? Because winning the ccg creates a bye. Not making the ccg means a week between the end of the season and start of the playoff, essentially a bye.

I think primarily the issue was letdown after a loss moreso than the bye, and I think we handled losses better since '22. Now we just have to learn how to beat better teams.

It very well could be, particularly with the Buckeye game in the immediate week after. I don't think the bye matters as much since we have 2 this year. If it does, what do we do in the playoff? Pray we make the ccg and lose? Because winning the ccg creates a bye. Not making the ccg means a week between the end of the season and start of the playoff, essentially a bye.

I think primarily the issue was letdown after a loss moreso than the bye, and I think we handled losses better since '22. Now we just have to learn how to beat better teams.
The bye might help PSU because players like Singleton & Donkoh are banged up and could use the time off to heal.

I don't see this as a year where the coaches or the players get caught up in a trap game mentality. The leadership on this team has been excellent and Franklin always has that one game at a time attitude. I think the two bye weeks came at just the right times often that is not the case. IMO We will be prepared and ready for a night game in Wisky town. There will be plenty of energy in that game we will not have to manufacture our own. My only question is will we start slow on both sides of the ball yet once again.

I think Wisconsin has their own trap game this weekend against Northwestern. It would not surprise me at all if they lose at Northwestern.

Agree with much of what you said with a couple caveats: some of those post bye games had special circumstances. We’re easily ahead in both Iowa and Sparty. Injuries cost us the Iowa game and God brought in a massive T storm that really hurt us with Sparty.

And Illinois worst game ever? Don’t have words for that ……. Just 6-4!

And I would place the Temple game below Illinois,

But 100%….. this could be a very tough game. One big plus is our team plays well under the lights and the national spotlight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT