ADVERTISEMENT

Why won't the B1G and TV partners cater to the White Out?

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
KSN SEGMENT ON WHITE OUT

See Link. Segment from a State College radio show. Typical talking points except about 3 minutes in one of the guys raises the question as to why the B1G doesn't give the White Out the respect it deserves as a one-of-a-kind unique event and shoehorn it into a primetime late Sept-early Oct timeslot vs. a top-shelf opponent. From a conference-wide marketing and branding standpoint, it makes total sense -- essentially have the conference treat the White Out with the same reverence they treat the "always last week of the season" OSU-Mich game. Yes, from an aesthetic standing, the Whiteout is just as eye-catching against Illinois as it would be for Oregon/Mich/OSU, but if there are no stakes to the game itself then it's not gonna keep fringe TV viewers with no rooting/gambling interest from changing the channel. Just feels like the league gives the White Out second-class status for reasons that escape me.

KSN SEGMENT ON WHITE OUT

See Link. Segment from a State College radio show. Typical talking points except about 3 minutes in one of the guys raises the question as to why the B1G doesn't give the White Out the respect it deserves as a one-of-a-kind unique event and shoehorn it into a primetime late Sept-early Oct timeslot vs. a top-shelf opponent. From a conference-wide marketing and branding standpoint, it makes total sense -- essentially have the conference treat the White Out with the same reverence they treat the "always last week of the season" OSU-Mich game. Yes, from an aesthetic standing, the Whiteout is just as eye-catching against Illinois as it would be for Oregon/Mich/OSU, but if there are no stakes to the game itself then it's not gonna keep fringe TV viewers with no rooting/gambling interest from changing the channel. Just feels like the league gives the White Out second-class status for reasons that escape me.
I think the B1G screwed the pooch when they came out with the schedules. Per your post, you point out "late Sept-early Oct." Well, here's the schedule:

• vs Kent Sept 21
  • vs Illinois Sept 28th
  • vs UCLA Oct 5th
  • @ USC Oct 12th
  • @ Wisconsin Oct 28th
  • tOSU Nov 2nd
Who is the home opponent that should be white out game in late Sept to through October? You have to do either ILL or UCLA who are not great opponents. Or, you have to to tOSU in November (when people wear heavy coats that are typically NOT white).

Looks like the whiteout is going to be vs. Illinois. Why?

Both Nov 9 and Nov 23, NBC has a Notre Dame game in the "regular" Big Ten primetime slot - I presume the USC/UCLA game listed on 11/23 will actually be an "after dark" game at 11:00 PM ET as ND/Army is on at 7:30 PM on NBC.

FOX can use the primetime slot those weeks if desired and it would not shock me if PSU/Washington is in primetime on FOX and ends up as the Whiteout game.

Reactions: Obliviax
That all being said, no reason we couldn't do a Whiteout game at a somewhat earlier time - its happened before - and it might end up being a game on CBS at 3:30 PM like perhaps tOSU on 11/2.

And that's even assuming these NBC games listed end up being the picks, as things can certainly change and most are not definitive.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I think the B1G screwed the pooch when they came out with the schedules. Per your post, you point out "late Sept-early Oct." Well, here's the schedule:

• vs Kent Sept 21
  • vs Illinois Sept 28th
  • vs UCLA Oct 5th
  • @ USC Oct 12th
  • @ Wisconsin Oct 28th
  • tOSU Nov 2nd
Who is the home opponent that should be white out game in late Sept to through October? You have to do either ILL or UCLA who are not great opponents. Or, you have to to tOSU in November (when people wear heavy coats that are typically NOT white).
Maybe the Big10 is in cahoots with a company that makes heavy white coats….;)

Both Nov 9 and Nov 23, NBC has a Notre Dame game in the "regular" Big Ten primetime slot - I presume the USC/UCLA game listed on 11/23 will actually be an "after dark" game at 11:00 PM ET as ND/Army is on at 7:30 PM on NBC.

FOX can use the primetime slot those weeks if desired and it would not shock me if PSU/Washington is in primetime on FOX and ends up as the Whiteout game.
Possible... but being on November 9th, it could be awful weather and not too many people have white winter coats/hats. Very risky to have this event that late in the season. But anything is possible when we are talking about TV money.

Fox chose PSU/Iowa in '21 as it's BNK and the game was played at 4pm est. I don't know what is particularly involved in things, but they tend to give us the OSU/Michigan road game in October in recent years with the home game usually in November (which hits the "no night games clause").

As this point, the 2nd biggest TV spectacle in the conference behind The Game and they sure don't attempt to make it happen vs our biggest opponents yearly in primetime sure seems...strange...suspicious...something. ya know?

KSN SEGMENT ON WHITE OUT

PSU is not the Big2

KSN SEGMENT ON WHITE OUT

You probably don't realize that the BIG consists only of Michigan and Ohio State. The other teams exist solely to generate revenue for the conference, that being Michigan and Ohio State.

You may be young and think the conference is fair but dont worry, sooner or later you will see that it is but for the only 2 that matter. As for second class status, that would apply to the other 12, no 14, no 16. Heck it doesn't matter it's only 2 that count. Might as well add more to the Big 2 + a bunch of who cares. Those extra teams get paid handsomely for their insignificance.

Washington might be a SECOND prime time whiteout game. But Illinois will need to be the first, if it must be at night.

Could do UCLA at 3:30 on CBS...but daytime whiteouts don't pop the same way...

It’s got to be UCLA…. Even though the Bruins play at home the following week which I’m sure they are lobbying for the game to be played at noon. Playing Minnesota, Iowa, and now possibly Illinois has completely extinguished the White Out. No one cares… Krafty has to fight for it like he is fighting to open the B1G schedule at home. What’s more important?

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
Early November ain’t what it used to be in the 70’s and 80’s. I wouldn’t be surprised if the weather is actually in the 50-60 degree range most games just following Halloween.

Reactions: rcy4499
Fox chose PSU/Iowa in '21 as it's BNK and the game was played at 4pm est. I don't know what is particularly involved in things, but they tend to give us the OSU/Michigan road game in October in recent years with the home game usually in November (which hits the "no night games clause").

As this point, the 2nd biggest TV spectacle in the conference behind The Game and they sure don't attempt to make it happen vs our biggest opponents yearly in primetime sure seems...strange...suspicious...something. ya know?

PSU is not the Big2
Yes indeed. The B2G conference hates…..HATES….. the White Out. A few years back it was getting huge coverage by all networks and was billed as the single best game to attend. Suckeye coach Urban hated it and said it was worth a TD to Penn State. It so intimidated Hairball’s team that got called for delay of game before the very first play.

The White Out was becoming bigger than the annual GAME OF THE CENTURY!!!! BIGGEST GAME EVER PLAYED!!!!! No way could this be tolerated.

Suddenly, the White Out was always scheduled for other teams. Out of conference like Auburn or teams like Iowa or Illinois…… never the Two Kings.

Now we only have one home game the entire month of October. And it’s newcomer UCLA. Suckeyes moved to Nov to protect them. Mich off the schedule completely. Very strange how thst all worked out…..🥴🤔🤬

Hate this damned conference. Another reason why I watch far less football than ever.

They do the tOSU and UM games to take care of UM and tOSU. PSU is a big game and they don't want that too early in the season. Secondly, they have to have cupcakes for tOSU and UM the week before their season-ending game. So that corrupts every other team's schedules. For PSU, that means we typically have a mid-season run of really difficult games in a row. The season's end is pretty anti-climactic.

Kraft has to get on the ball and start fighting for it.

The whole push now is increasing revenue by getting better matchups for tv networks. The conference should be flexible enough to tee up a good matchup in late September/ early October to promote the event which has always had Herbstreit and ESPN gushing over it as a ‘must see’ for any college football fan.

There has to be a way for the conference to schedule a big matchup game in those weeks for a night white out, especially now as it can include not only OSU or Michigan but also Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA. Enough with the Iowa/ Illinois type nonsense.

Kraft has to get on the ball and start fighting for it.

The whole push now is increasing revenue by getting better matchups for tv networks. The conference should be flexible enough to tee up a good matchup in late September/ early October to promote the event which has always had Herbstreit and ESPN gushing over it as a ‘must see’ for any college football fan.

There has to be a way for the conference to schedule a big matchup game in those weeks for a night white out, especially now as it can include not only OSU or Michigan but also Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA. Enough with the Iowa/ Illinois type nonsense.
they may be looking at it the other way.

The games against tOSU, UM, W, O and USC are going to draw fans in seats and on TV. Perhaps the thought is that the white out is its own draw. So scheduling a secondary opponent evens out the ratings. If that is the case, a UCLA or Illinois makes sense from a marketing standpoint.

There has to be a way for the conference to schedule a big matchup game in those weeks for a night white out

The conference knows we are playing USC at home next year (if I'm not mistaken, could be Michigan/Oregon but we have somebody big at home). All they have to do is pencil that game in for October. The SEC has done this religiously for the past 30 years. Bama/UT being the 3rd week of October regardless. UGA/UF in Jacksonville. It just requires effort.

They managed to come up with an entire list of saved rivals, including up to 3 teams for Iowa, but we can't get the most marquee game on our home schedule in October yearly? We can't play ball with the networks and get it at 330 or later yearly?

Reactions: bison13 and psu00
Because it's super overrated outside of Penn State fans, and the home team is 11-8 anyway.
Hah! Auburn fans were very excited when they heard their game was a WO. And they loved it!

I am sure UCLA fans would be very excited if their game was a WO.

As for the record….. it’s because the WO is always against the toughest opponent on the schedule. Considering most are either Mich or OSU it’s surprising we have a winning record.

Hah! Auburn fans were very excited when they heard their game was a WO. And they loved it!

As for the record….. it’s because the WO is always against the toughest opponent on the schedule. Considering most are either Mich or OSU it’s surprising we have a winning record.
See a response like yours makes me question whether or not you really understand the situation. In the past decade Ohio State has been ranked in the Top 5 twice, but otherwise there hasn't been an opponent ranked better than 13. So just because it's a "tough opponent" to us, that doesn't make it a good TV match up, nor a solid basis to rearrange schedules conference-wide. I offered an opinion in response to the question in the subject, and I'm not going to sit here and argue about it just because you have a different opinion. Enjoy the Illinois match up under the lights!

And does UCLA football even have any fans? Why are we pretending they are more than one step above Maryland just because the Conference decided to let them in?

See a response like yours makes me question whether or not you really understand the situation. In the past decade Ohio State has been ranked in the Top 5 twice, but otherwise there hasn't been an opponent ranked better than 13. So just because it's a "tough opponent" to us, that doesn't make it a good TV match up, nor a solid basis to rearrange schedules conference-wide. I offered an opinion in response to the question in the subject, and I'm not going to sit here and argue about it just because you have a different opinion. Enjoy the Illinois match up under the lights!

If you put any future Penn State home game vs OSU, Michigan, USC, or Oregon in October at night, it's going to be, at worst, the 3rd highest rated game of any Saturday lineup and the only factors keeping it from #1 is a probably depending upon season outcomes that cannot be predicted 4 months out (say a top 10 UGA vs Auburn game).

If you do this the 1st week of October (which typically isn't a rivalry week for SEC games compared to the rest of the month), it's probably the sheer, clear cut #1 game by far.

However, my thinking is this: the White Out sells itself regardless of opponent. This boosts the theoretical Illinois and UCLA games while not squeezing the extra juice out of the other marquee matchups. The eyes are going to be on the big boys regardless. Spicing up a likely lesser watched game is better from a TV standpoint.

I am too lazy to look it up but what is the WO record against OSU and Michigan keeping in mind there were a lot of really bad Michigan teams in there from say 2008 or so until they started cheating.

Possible... but being on November 9th, it could be awful weather and not too many people have white winter coats/hats. Very risky to have this event that late in the season. But anything is possible when we are talking about TV money.
They could purchase those $10 (approx) white rain pullovers.

It's a simple answer... FOX is getting higher ratings in the noon kickoff slot so that's their #1 priority, and their contracts with the Big 10 give them #1 choice of many of the biggest games. Combine those and you have the big PSU games on FOX at noon. FOX doesn't give a crap about the stadium atmosphere, all they care about are getting the highest ratings which results in them getting the most money. Corporate greed is now completely in control of the sport.

• vs Kent Sept 21
  • vs Illinois Sept 28th
  • vs UCLA Oct 5th
  • @ USC Oct 12th
  • @ Wisconsin Oct 28th
  • tOSU Nov 2nd
You are right that the schedule is not constructed well to have a White Out in late Sept or Oct versus a big name opponent. Why? Who knows. My guess is the media partners are heavily involved in building the schedules.

Beyond that, I'm not sure it would make a difference. As far as I understand it Fox still has the first pick of games each weekend for their Big Noon slot. So for example if the USC game on 10/12 was in Happy Valley then I think Fox would just slap that in as their Big Noon game.

I know now with NBC and CBS in the mix Fox does not dominate everything but it probably will take a miracle to get a night White Out versus an OSU or USC or Oregon or Michigan that falls into the 5 -6 week window of mid late Sept to late Oct. That really is a shame and the B10 should be embarrassed about it but they obviously don't care.

Not sure what the deal is with Nov and White Outs but that could be PSU also driving the no White Out in Nov in colder temps.

You are right that the schedule is not constructed well to have a White Out in late Sept or Oct versus a big name opponent. Why? Who knows. My guess is the media partners are heavily involved in building the schedules.

Beyond that, I'm not sure it would make a difference. As far as I understand it Fox still has the first pick of games each weekend for their Big Noon slot. So for example if the USC game on 10/12 was in Happy Valley then I think Fox would just slap that in as their Big Noon game.

I know now with NBC and CBS in the mix Fox does not dominate everything but it probably will take a miracle to get a night White Out versus an OSU or USC or Oregon or Michigan that falls into the 5 -6 week window of mid late Sept to late Oct. That really is a shame and the B10 should be embarrassed about it but they obviously don't care.

Not sure what the deal is with Nov and White Outs but that could be PSU also driving the no White Out in Nov in colder temps.
good points. I think it is just a weird year with only one home game in October. Two away games and a bye. That has to be fixed in future years.

Reactions: bison13
good points. I think it is just a weird year with only one home game in October. Two away games and a bye. That has to be fixed in future years.
If we schedule better non conference games we can host a quality White Out and have better options. I don't understand why the Big Ten or any conference needs to cater to any team. Ohio State the first week of November is fine. The weather can also suck in October. UCLA and Illinois are also fine given our schedule

If we schedule better non conference games we can host a quality White Out and have better options. I don't understand why the Big Ten or any conference needs to cater to any team. Ohio State the first week of November is fine. The weather can also suck in October. UCLA and Illinois are also fine given our schedule
The problem is they cater to some teams demands but not all. You can bet your ass the OSU-UM game will always be the last game of the season and at noon. But nobody else in the conference gets to make a scheduling request. Kraft should be telling the conference that since they did PSU a disservice by not giving us any protected rivals then could at least let us have our biggest home opponent every season in October, and in prime time. It's not a huge request.

The problem is they cater to some teams demands but not all. You can bet your ass the OSU-UM game will always be the last game of the season and at noon. But nobody else in the conference gets to make a scheduling request. Kraft should be telling the conference that since they did PSU a disservice by not giving us any protected rivals then could at least let us have our biggest home opponent every season in October, and in prime time. It's not a huge request.
And "The Game" is tradition like Army-Navy. The White Out is relatively new. Who says anyone from Penn State made a request? Why are you mad about Ohio State-Michigan being the last game. It's not different than any other true rivalry game in any other conference. We don't have a rival.

We can play UCLA for the White Out or Illinois or Ohio State. We lack quality home games this year which isn't the fault of the conference.

And no we shouldn't always get out toughest opponent in prime time in October. That argument doesn't even make sense.

Because it's super overrated outside of Penn State fans, and the home team is 11-8 anyway.
The home team was favored in 8 of the games, so they have performed better than "expected". While the past 10 years (especially past two) haven't had as much "star" opponent, there were enough compelling big name teams to make it a TV draw.

Btw, one of the opponents that wasn't "ranked better than 13" was eventual the eventual MNC.

Reactions: bison13
Throw in a wrestling match outside with the OSU before the football game, and now your talking!

And "The Game" is tradition like Army-Navy. The White Out is relatively new. Who says anyone from Penn State made a request? Why are you mad about Ohio State-Michigan being the last game. It's not different than any other true rivalry game in any other conference. We don't have a rival.

We can play UCLA for the White Out or Illinois or Ohio State. We lack quality home games this year which isn't the fault of the conference.

And no we shouldn't always get out toughest opponent in prime time in October. That argument doesn't even make sense.
I bet we could easily pull off a White Out versus OSU this year. People would find a way to don their white even if very cold. For Ohio State we could pull that off. Of course if we played Illinois in November then a White Out would not work.

Yes, the White Out is new relative to old traditional rivalry games like the Big2 game. But it is a spectacle. You cannot deny that. It has elevated beyond a regular season college football game.

My frustration that is shared by others on this thread is we simply cannot make our biggest/toughest home game every year be the White Out. Why is that? It should not be that difficult. Can you imagine this season if when we played Ohio State we were undefeated and they were undefeated and #1 AND the game is a White Out??!! That would be epic! Unfortunately, because of TV and I guess some dumb unwritten rule or even a Penn State rule that prevents a White Out in Nov we don't get to have the White Out with our biggest game.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT