ADVERTISEMENT

Will you just look at these numbers! OMG!! YES!!!

Franklin needs to learn from his mistakes and not take his foot off the gas.

I think he's a fantastic coach, but no one is perfect, and we can all learn from our mistakes.
Franklin did not take his foot off the gas. It's not like they get a lead and stop trying to score. Trace had a ball deflected that led to a pick....they were in FG range at the time....taking his foot off the gas would have been running the ball every time in that series. Good coaches make adjustments and Petersen is a good coach. Just because you don't score on every possession doesn't mean a coach has taken his foot off the gas.

Franklin did not take his foot off the gas. It's not like they get a lead and stop trying to score. Trace had a ball deflected that led to a pick....they were in FG range at the time....taking his foot off the gas would have been running the ball every time in that series. Good coaches make adjustments and Petersen is a good coach. Just because you don't score on every possession doesn't mean a coach has taken his foot off the gas.
Thank you.

I guess we watched different games, because eventually in the second half, it looked like they got a lead and stopped trying to score. They just kept running, going 3 and out, and giving UW the ball back... when one more score would have iced the game. Considering how money Trace was on 3rd down all day, they should have let him throw, get first downs, and win the game. I think the deflected ball scared them and made them go conservative. I suggest you revisit the game thread if you don't believe me.

I also wasn't limiting it to just this game, how about the USC game?

Last edited:
I guess we watched different games, because in the second half, it looked like they got a lead and stopped trying to score. They just kept running, going 3 and out, and giving UW the ball back... when one more score would have iced the game. Considering how money Trace was on 3rd down all day, they should have let him throw, get first downs, and win the game.

That's a reasonable criticism.

The other common factor, more important IMO, in PSU's losses was pass defense in the 2nd half. Couldn't sustain a rush vs the QBs of USC, tOSU, and Michigan State, and didn't cover effectively in the secondary. Saw some of that vs Washington.

I'm very encouraged by the progress of the OL and that unit should be a real positive, not a question mark. It's improvement in the defense vs the pass that will be the biggest hurdle to get PSU into the playoffs.

I guess we watched different games, because eventually in the second half, it looked like they got a lead and stopped trying to score. They just kept running, going 3 and out, and giving UW the ball back... when one more score would have iced the game. Considering how money Trace was on 3rd down all day, they should have let him throw, get first downs, and win the game. I think the deflected ball scared them and made them go conservative. I suggest you revisit the game thread if you don't believe me.

You must have been watching a different game. Second half was a 13 play drive for a TD, an 8 play drive with an INT, only one drive that was a three and out, and a 13 play drive for a missed FG. That's certainly not taking his foot off the gas.

Every team with a lead has to run the ball more than pass, that's basic football. If the line can't block to get two yards (like the USC game) that's not on the coach.

Happy New Year!

You must have been watching a different game. Second half was a 13 play drive for a TD, an 8 play drive with an INT, only one drive that was a three and out, and a 13 play drive for a missed FG. That's certainly not taking his foot off the gas.

Every team with a lead has to run the ball more than pass, that's basic football. If the line can't block to get two yards (like the USC game) that's not on the coach.

So when you reviewed the link to the in game thread, everyone complaining about going too conservative too early... were also watching a different game than you? Also as UW made it close, they had to step on the gas a bit more towards the end... It’s a dynamic situation.

You do realize that what you call “basic football”... running more than passing, is the definition of taking your foot off the gas, especially for a team that struggles to run. You just made my point, thank you. I’m not interested in any more of your semantics games... have a happy new year.

Last edited:
PSU had one 3 and out the entire game.

The big difference in this game from USC/OSU games was PSU's final drive on offense. There was a critical 3rd and 8 from the 46. In the past Franklin would have played it safe and run clock before putting the game on the defense. Commentators were saying PSU must run the ball. Instead Franklin tries to win the game with his offense and Trace hit Hamilton down the middle for 14 yards.

Another big difference for PSU in the second half was UW started to have success on offense with long drives. PSU just didnt have many chances.

Reactions: TheGLOV
So when you reviewed the link to the in game thread, everyone complaining about going too conservative too early... was also watching a different game than you? Also as UW made it close, they had to step on the gas a bit more towards the end? It’s a dynamic situation.

You do realize that what you call “basic football”... running more than passing, is the definition of taking your foot off the gas, especially for a team that struggles to run. You just made my point, thank you. I’m not interested in any more of your semantics games... have a happy new year.
If you're using the in game thread as a basis for your argument, you lost. I guess using that logic then Trace sucks and Franklin should be fired.

There's a difference between taking your foot off the gas and managing the clock. Hell, even the announcers were shocked when PSU passed on a 3rd and 8 instead of running the ball, then they said that that's just the way James Franklin coaches, ultra aggressive and going for the win. Maybe it's our posters who are not seeing what's going on....nah, too many football geniuses on this board for that to be true.

PSU had the ball 4 times in the entire second half. One touchdown, one missed field goal, one interception, and one punt. They ran the ball 18 times and threw it 14 times. They had 8 first downs.

Boy I hope Franklin can learn his lesson from our in game reaction thread.

I don't think Franklin takes his foot off the gas or we get conservative. The offense is built around big plays and other teams adjust. Good teams are going to play better defensively against us as they adapt to the scheme. I think, at times, we made good counter adjustments but the ONLY concern I have with this offensive scheme is I don't feel as though it is particularly effective when you have a big lead. Though--it causes us to have a big lead often so...

I think you should check out our play selection in the 4th quarter.

It was not "foot on gas" material.

That said, as usual it didn't seem like Washington could really move the ball on us so the coaches got conservative. It worked in the end but that final play was almost a TD by Washington.

LdN

Reactions: pandaczar12
IIRC CJF said at halftime that this is a game of momentum... clearly referring to UW's scoring response in the 2nd quarter to keep it close. One has to consider that maybe it isn't always the coaches that control the momentum but that the kids playing the game have a bearing as well as their confidence gains or wanes throughout the game. You see it all the time where turnovers and big plays can cause shifts.

IIRC CJF said at halftime that this is a game of momentum... clearly referring to UW's scoring response in the 2nd quarter to keep it close. One has to consider that maybe it isn't always the coaches that control the momentum but that the kids playing the game have a bearing as well as their confidence gains or wanes throughout the game. You see it all the time where turnovers and big plays can cause shifts.
You're right....in today's game it's always the coach's fault. I remember when the players actually held some of the responsibility for how they played on the field.

PSU had the ball 4 times in the entire second half. One touchdown, one missed field goal, one interception, and one punt. They ran the ball 18 times and threw it 14 times. They had 8 first downs.

Boy I hope Franklin can learn his lesson from our in game reaction thread.
Missed FG resulted from a motion penalty on 4 and 1 after a tremendous clock killing drive. Aside from the penalty, that was good coaching to drain the clock with the lead. It worked.

That's right. Time of possession was over ten minutes in the fourth quarter. Imho the best start of the night.

That's right. Time of possession was over ten minutes in the fourth quarter. Imho the best start of the night.

Missed FG resulted from a motion penalty on 4 and 1 after a tremendous clock killing drive. Aside from the penalty, that was good coaching to drain the clock with the lead. It worked.

It was indeed a GREAT drive.....but many of the snaps, even as the drive became more and more successful, were snapped with 8-10 seconds left on the play clock. We could have quite probably never even have gotten to the 4th & 1 play with a little more aggressive clock management.

If you're using the in game thread as a basis for your argument, you lost. I guess using that logic then Trace sucks and Franklin should be fired.

There's a difference between taking your foot off the gas and managing the clock. Hell, even the announcers were shocked when PSU passed on a 3rd and 8 instead of running the ball, then they said that that's just the way James Franklin coaches, ultra aggressive and going for the win. Maybe it's our posters who are not seeing what's going on....nah, too many football geniuses on this board for that to be true.

Fair post. I wasn't shocked when Franklin chose pass despite the clock. You play into your strengths. Yes? Sometimes announcers don't have a clue. In many cases their insight is limited to the coaches' interviews leading up to the game. I'm no genius. My football IQ lies probably somewhere south of 100; however, after a few series I'm smart to see the match-up advantages by unit. I surmise most people can, too. I would've kept passing all night long. 'Taking your foot off the gas' is what Joe used to do. I've yet to see Franklin take his foot off the gas.

Trying to get cute on offense in the first half up by 3 touchdowns is what made this game closer than it could have been. Three long drives in the second half kept the Washington offense off the field. Penn State left points on the board on 2 of those. Penn State could have easily won by at least 6 more points if it wasn’t for those blown scoring opportunities.

I know this is the internet and nobody ever wants to admit they are wrong, but you clearly proved my point in your last post. No amount of future posts, no amount of semantics games, can change that. I don’t care what you consider “taking your foot off the gas” and how that definition compares to mine. That’s exactly what you are arguing about.

I suggest a NY resolution for you to stop wasting other people’s time with worthless posts. Good day.

Going 3 and out?
Penn State punted TWICE! Converted 13 of 17 third downs.
Where is that showing we kept running, going 3 and out, and giving UW the ball back?

Sorry, no disrespect, but I disagree with you.

OL

I’m talking about a specific point in the game where it’s felt like they weren’t as aggressive, so full game stats don’t really seem to be relevant. Agree to disagree I guess.

It was turnovers that kept this game from being a blow-out. Oh, and those stupid shovel passes. ;)
Totally agree Roy. It's amazes me that several posters hated the shovel passes. I thought they were a clever way to keep their defense off balance. We could have used them against OSU in the 4th quarter.

You did watch a different game. PSU only went 3 and out once all day. Their first drive of the 2nd half was aTD. They started of the second drive with 4 passes and made it to the UW 18 before getting intercepted. Third drive was the only 3 and out and 4th drives missed field goal.

Half time adjustments by other teams seem to baffle us.

That's a weird comment considering PSU was a second half team last year with an almost identical cast of coaches and players. Sometimes patterns appear for no other reason than it's a small sample size.

I know this is the internet and nobody ever wants to admit they are wrong, but you clearly proved my point in your last post. No amount of future posts, no amount of semantics games, can change that. I don’t care what you consider “taking your foot off the gas” and how that definition compares to mine. That’s exactly what you are arguing about.

I suggest a NY resolution for you to stop wasting other people’s time with worthless posts. Good day.
Don't read my posts then Champ.

Boy I hope Franklin can learn his lesson from our in game, negative over-reaction thread.
FIFY

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT