ADVERTISEMENT

Football WR Parker Washington declares for NFL Draft

Cool. Then let's encourage Donovan Edward's to leave early. Think your boy Shark face is advising him to leave? How about Ronnie
Bell, he could have left last year and gone in the 5th or 6th round just like Parker.
I don't care who leaves any school. I think they should all go pro as soon as they believe they're ready. The entire point of college is to be ready for your career--they believe this is their career.
Walker was a late 7th rounder last year and that was the right decision for him.

Reactions: Cap Levi
UDFA doesn't get the same opportunity to stick that an upper round pick does. The organization doesn't have nearly as much invested in the player. It's more like taking a flyer. If it works great, if not who cares.
Do teams care about any pick now? See how quick Josh Rosen was ran out of Arizona. I'll never criticize a kid for staying (well, there were a few that shouldn't have) but I won't criticize them for leaving early either.

I don't care who leaves any school. I think they should all go pro as soon as they believe they're ready. The entire point of college is to be ready for your career--they believe this is their career.
Walker was a late 7th rounder last year and that was the right decision for him.
That's pretty dumb. So what about an engineering major who thinks they've learned enough with another 30 credits left to earn their degree? They could leave now and get an associates and start making money now because they believe they are ready now.

Or maybe, just maybe, they should come back for one more year, finish the degree, and have much better opportunities? What do you think? Sure, maybe the kid comes back and can't pass some 400 level classes or has health issues. But odds are that they improve their career prospects.

Odds were much better for Washington if he had returned healthy as a clear cut #1 and production was 1000+ yards. Now I rate him a Longshot. He could stick and make some NFL money but I think the odds now are that he doesn't last long.

Damn. This is definitely a blow. I really think he could have greatly improved his draft position with a year with Allar, a better O line and the stud RBs. Good luck young man!
Maybe this is why he's leaving? He's seen a lot more than we have seen.

That's pretty dumb. So what about an engineering major who thinks they've learned enough with another 30 credits left to earn their degree? They could leave now and get an associates and start making money now because they believe they are ready now.

Or maybe, just maybe, they should come back for one more year, finish the degree, and have much better opportunities? What do you think? Sure, maybe the kid comes back and can't pass some 400 level classes or has health issues. But odds are that they improve their career prospects.

Odds were much better for Washington if he had returned healthy as a clear cut #1 and production was 1000+ yards. Now I rate him a Longshot. He could stick and make some NFL money but I think the odds now are that he doesn't last long.
Can they get the same job without those 30 credits? Are their any limitations to their career without the degree? What's the limitation in the NFL without a degree?

His odds wouldn't have changed by coming back for another season.

Can they get the same job without those 30 credits? Are their any limitations to their career without the degree? What's the limitation in the NFL without a degree?

Don't ya just love how the fake trolls all root for everyone to leave early?

Reactions: NoBareFeet
and have much better opportunities? What do you think

Every situation is unique and different. Washington doesn't have valued height nor is his speed blazing. He's been a starter since day 1. He was the clear-cut #2 behind Dotson for 2 years and the #1 for one. His ceiling is probably NFL slot WR who can run very good routes. He could have a lengthy career or he could wash out in 2 or 3. I'm prone to think this injury could have scared him. He tears an ACL next year, he might not be draftable ever.

I hate to see him go. In theory, sure, 1000 yards with Allar sounds like a dream. But it's his choice. I think the multiple offers to WRs reflects his seemingly known departure by the staff.

Reactions: royboy
As much as I would have liked to see Parker in blue and white next year, I think he made the right move. Getting drafted high isn't about your statistics. Levis is proof.

Parker has shown what he can do. Looks to me like he is physically close to peak. He's demonstrated great hands and quickness. Don't think he would gain much by being a year older at that position.

I remember when Derrick Willians bulked up. Looked like he got slower.

Olu, on the other hand, probably will develop a little more. Great to have him back.

As much as I would have liked to see Parker in blue and white next year, I think he made the right move. Getting drafted high isn't about your statistics. Levis is proof.

Parker has shown what he can do. Looks to me like he is physically close to peak. He's demonstrated great hands and quickness. Don't think he would gain much by being a year older at that position.

Olu, on the other hand, probably will develop a little more. Great to have him back.
Love what he did for us but Parker’s profile doesn’t scream NFL. He’s not super fast and he’s not big. His biggest asset is terrific hands. Will it be enough? I don’t know. I still believe another year would have improved his draft position. Again, wish him all the best.

Reactions: Online Persona

Unless you count his 3 touchdown game against Illinois when he looked pretty fast. Rose Bowl also.

So what you’re telling the guys that will actually pay you the money is “This is my ceiling”.

Their reply? “Good luck. In the NFL, at 5’10”, WRs like you are a dime a dozen. Hope your Penn State education taught you more than how to just play football.”

Well some headhunter agent guy they signed with that gets a percentage of whatever they make no matter how little has told them that they probably can. That should give them enough confidence right?

Who cares that if you do your homework most of the jobs that pay well require coming back and showing that you can perform well in getting those 30 credits remaining right?

Not too many 5'10 WRs that aren't burners coming off of an injury with only 600 yards receiving for the year make rosters. 133 division 1 WRs have more production this year than Parker. The odds are very much against him unless he were to come back healthy and put together a 1000+ yard proof of production type of season.

I'll be rooting for him to beat the long odds. I just hope he knows it's very much a long shot that he's taking. At this level they all believe they are good enough.

Last edited:
I simply wish him the best. He is a unique wr.. that can make the acrobatic catch, high points with ease, runs great routes with the ability to add significant yards after after the catch. This is all predicated upon his heath. None of us know the grist of his decision. He doesn't have elite speed. Well, many productive nfl recievers don't and he has everything else.

One thing for sure, he left it on the field every game he played. It was our pleasure to have him representing PSU.

Last edited:
Regarding the youngsters, we haven't heard a word about the progress that Anthony Ivey and Tyler Johnson have made. Even if Stubblefield gets a couple of incoming transfers there seems to be a good chance that one or two of the young WR's provide a positive surprise in 2023.

See you at the B/W game.........

His hands, like Dotson's, will be missed. Other than the tight ends, I'm not sure if there are a comparable (proven) pair on the team....we'll see, there should be a pretty open competition at WR this year. I do have a little more confidence that the QB can make more of the the throws.

Unless you count his 3 touchdown game against Illinois when he looked pretty fast. Rose Bowl also.

I wasn't implying that he is slow. I was implying that I think he has peaked. More time in the weight room or running sprints isn't going to make him faster, nor will it improve his hands. I used Derrick Williams as an example of someone who (to my eye) did not get faster with more "conditioning" and age.

You stay in school if there is some benefit to doing so. I don't see it with Parker and apparently neither does he.

Reactions: cntblvitsbutter
Love what he did for us but Parker’s profile doesn’t scream NFL. He’s not super fast and he’s not big. His biggest asset is terrific hands. Will it be enough? I don’t know. I still believe another year would have improved his draft position. Again, wish him all the best.
Welker, Edelman kind of player maybe. Wish him the best, he was a very good player for us and did everything he could to help beat O$U this year.

Do teams care about any pick now? See how quick Josh Rosen was ran out of Arizona.
I would consider Josh Rosen one of the worst examples of NFL caring about anyone. Rosen never had an intangible, ever. In the NFL intangibles are a requirement, specifically at his position. His best stats at UCLA were never as good as McSorely's best at PSU, yet scouts were rating him as a 1st round talent and McSorely as a free agent type talent and lets face it, Rosen was facing lesser competition than Trace as well as playing in weather that is more conducive to bigger passing numbers. Rosen being "run out" had nothing to do with Rosen and everything to do with his measurables being improperly evaluated by scouts. Every team that has had Rosen on the roster couldn't move on from him fats enough because he just isn't good. Rosen either had the greatest marketing team ever or was completely misevaluated.

Trace
*2017Penn StateBig TenJRQB1328442766.535708.48.62810153.7
Rosen
*2017UCLAPac-12JRQB1128345262.637568.38.52610147.0

Reactions: CbusLion10
Bunch of old farts in here thinking it’s still 1980. And that you can only get drafted doing it a certain way.

“He only has 600 yards, if he stayed he could have gotten 1,000 yards” Let’s face it the NFL doesnt put as much stock into stats these days. They go off of potential. And they all know the circumstances he was under… his QB couldn’t throw accurately past 10 yards.

“He’s just going to be a slot guy” Yeaaaa that’s basically a starter in todays NFL.

I get it you’re butthurt because him leaving makes the team worst but there’s no need to bash the kid on his way out. I swear no one hates on PSU players more than PSU fans.

Bunch of old farts in here thinking it’s still 1980. And that you can only get drafted doing it a certain way.

“He only has 600 yards, if he stayed he could have gotten 1,000 yards” Let’s face it the NFL doesnt put as much stock into stats these days. They go off of potential. And they all know the circumstances he was under… his QB couldn’t throw accurately past 10 yards.

“He’s just going to be a slot guy” Yeaaaa that’s basically a starter in todays NFL.

I get it you’re butthurt because him leaving makes the team worst but there’s no need to bash the kid on his way out. I swear no one hates on PSU players more than PSU fans.
Personally I’m fine with him leaving but a few points to your post.

1) There are very few people on here that haven’t supported him. there is a difference between someone bantering back and forth about his decision and bashing on a player.
2) he’s just going to be a slot guy…you just made this up. no one said this in a negative manner. Everyone here would be thrilled if he would end up in that role.
3) just so I’m clear….Is it acceptable for others to bash on his qb that couldn’t throw accurately past ten yards?

1) There are very few people on here that haven’t supported him. there is a difference between someone bantering back and forth about his decision and bashing on a player.
That's not true. His decision has been widely criticized here by people that don't know what went into and that still believe this is decades ago and if you aren't a top pick you return to school. That's not how this era of football works. You enter the draft as soon as you believe you're ready. That's a reality regardless of the opinion of anyone here

I wasn't implying that he is slow. I was implying that I think he has peaked. More time in the weight room or running sprints isn't going to make him faster, nor will it improve his hands. I used Derrick Williams as an example of someone who (to my eye) did not get faster with more "conditioning" and age.

You stay in school if there is some benefit to doing so. I don't see it with Parker and apparently neither does he.

Yup, always thought he would do well early on because he was so physically mature as a freshman. If he was a little taller, or a little quicker, or a little faster, I think he could be drafted in the middle rounds, but I think it's more likely he gets drafted at the end or even winds up as an UDFA. Wish him all the best though. He was solid at Penn State and hopefully he has his degree.

Reactions: Online Persona
That's not true. His decision has been widely criticized here by people that don't know what went into and that still believe this is decades ago and if you aren't a top pick you return to school. That's not how this era of football works. You enter the draft as soon as you believe you're ready. That's a reality regardless of the opinion of anyone here
Just ask Ellis Brooks right?

Some good stuff here. The NFL is becoming more of a projection draft like baseball or basketball. What they think you will be 2 years from now. I think it used to be merit based and I’m sure there still is some but it is more of what they think. What they think of parker is t going to change.

Parker goes round 4 to Pittsburgh!

Criticizing his decision isn’t the same as not supporting him. By and large most of the posters here, even if disagreeing, have supported him.

Some good stuff here. The NFL is becoming more of a projection draft like baseball or basketball. What they think you will be 2 years from now. I think it used to be merit based and I’m sure there still is some but it is more of what they think. What they think of parker is t going to change.

Parker goes round 4 to Pittsburgh!
Which mock is that on again?

No one is "butthurt" that he's leaving. And you're cherry picking snippets of posts out of context while not including other parts where those very same posters say that they are rooting for Parker is very disingenuous. Then you claim those posters are "hating on PSU players" while also exaggerating "his qb couldn't throw accurately past 10 yards".

You sound like the one "butthurt" by misrepresenting what others posted and then accusing others of "hating on PSU players while having no self awareness that you hated on Clifford with hyperbole in the very same post.

Bottom line, Parker took a huge and likely ill-advised risk by leaving early injured and showing only little production to go with not very desirable measurables to NFL scouts. I think he can prove that he is NFL quality but only if he shows that he can be a 1000+ yard college player. His measureables and current production isn't going to do it. 133 WRs in division 1 had more yards than him and a good bit of those guys have great measureables to go with it. Less than 30 WRs were drafted last year.

If Parker is out of football next year like a couple PSU guys that left early and weren't drafted last year, will you show up and apologize? We want the best for the young man.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Where does the parker doesn’t have measurables come from? I think he probably runs in the 4.4’s which would be average, has hands of gold, and runs exceptional routes.

Reactions: Cap Levi
Where does the parker doesn’t have measurables come from? I think he probably runs in the 4.4’s which would be average, has hands of gold, and runs exceptional routes.
Hands of gold absolutely yes, 4.4 nope. At 5'10, it's not what they are really looking for at that level. I think he's very under-rated and that's the problem. He doesn't have the numbers to make a team reach. But he is clearly a player. The only question is if that translates to the next level and if a team believes that it will.

No one is "butthurt" that he's leaving. And you're cherry picking snippets of posts out of context while not including other parts where those very same posters say that they are rooting for Parker is very disingenuous. Then you claim those posters are "hating on PSU players" while also exaggerating "his qb couldn't throw accurately past 10 yards".

You sound like the one "butthurt" by misrepresenting what others posted and then accusing others of "hating on PSU players while having no self awareness that you hated on Clifford with hyperbole in the very same post.

Bottom line, Parker took a huge and likely ill-advised risk by leaving early injured and showing only little production to go with not very desirable measurables to NFL scouts. I think he can prove that he is NFL quality but only if he shows that he can be a 1000+ yard college player. His measureables and current production isn't going to do it. 133 WRs in division 1 had more yards than him and a good bit of those guys have great measureables to go with it. Less than 30 WRs were drafted last year.

If Parker is out of football next year like a couple PSU guys that left early and weren't drafted last year, will you show up and apologize? We want the best for the young man.
I still have not seen one single poster apologize for Ellis Brooks, so no, I don't see it here either

We have a certain percentage of posters who just want to see everyone leave early even to the detriment of the team, and make no mistake, it always hurts the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT