ADVERTISEMENT

Football WR Parker Washington declares for NFL Draft

I'm sort of shocked. I thought he would have come back considering the injury and where he was projected in the draft. Much like Dotson, I thought he would benefit from another year. That said, I'm not privy to the information he has.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. After his breakout game against Ohio State, I think the handwriting was a on the wall a little bit.

About the injury, what is the nature of it exactly? Maybe I missed this, but I don't remember that any details have been forthcoming.

I've seen different draft projections. A couple have him 4th-5th round, but one that I posted here a few weeks ago said 2nd-3rd round.

I hope he's getting good advice...or at least better than a few of our opt-outs last year whose NFL value seemed to end up being a lot less than they apparently believed.

In any case, he'd become a serious weapon in the offense, and speaking selfishly, I sure wish we'd have him on the field again next year.

His position will be affected by his testing numbers for 40 and in quickness drills. He is a slot guy and punt return guy who is very, very good in traffic and after the catch. Good hands, but not typical WR build. He will be missed and seems to be good team guy. I thought he'd be here another year, but hope he moves up the boards and goes in 2nd or 3rd round.

Reactions: tlbakernc and bytir
Honestly, I'm not surprised. After his breakout game against Ohio State, I think the handwriting was a on the wall a little bit.

About the injury, what is the nature of it exactly? Maybe I missed this, but I don't remember that any details have been forthcoming.

I've seen different draft projections. A couple have him 4th-5th round, but one that I posted here a few weeks ago said 2nd-3rd round.

I hope he's getting good advice...or at least better than a few of our opt-outs last year whose NFL value seemed to end up being a lot less than they apparently believed.

In any case, he'd become a serious weapon in the offense, and speaking selfishly, I sure wish we'd have him on the field again next year.
He really did have an outstanding game against Ohio State. He made several difficult catches and made an excellent tackle-breaking play on his TD reception.

Mistake. I can't find him on any mock drafts that say anything but 3rd day, if that. Now you really need 2 wide receivers in the portal unless you think Harrison Wallace and, hell I don't even know, Omari Evans in his 2nd year even playing the position?

So much for any title hopes next season

The beat goes on...with the only exception bring Olu, they seem to all leave early. This is another reason Penn State cannot beat Michigan and Ohio State. It's hard enough with them developing their linemen better, but it's impossible to beat teams when the only players capable OF beating them keep leaving early.

Mistake. I can't find him on any mock drafts that say anything but 3rd day, if that. Now you really need 2 wide receivers in the portal unless you think Harrison Wallace and, hell I don't even know, Omari Evans in his 2nd year even playing the position?

So much for any title hopes next season
Yep. No wonder Franklin and Stubblefield are flying around the country passing out WR tranfer offers, as Franklin would have known this since his player meeting after the MSU game.

It would not surprise me to see them take 3 incoming transfer WR's. Even the WR's that have played a couple seasons at lesser competition are in some respects unproven as they haven't gotten open against top CB's like what they will go against in the B10.

And for all the WR's on the roster PSU really has no proven WR returning. Wallace has made some progress. KLS has moments then disappears for games. PSU needs a player with sure hands like Clifford has shown to just go out and catch the ball for first downs.

Bring in 3 and hope 2 make the grade in 2023, with hopefully one or more having eligibility they will use in 2024.

The beat goes on...with the only exception bring Olu, they seem to all leave early. This is another reason Penn State cannot beat Michigan and Ohio State. It's hard enough with them developing their linemen better, but it's impossible to beat teams when the only players capable OF beating them keep leaving early.
That is the Mantra three years and on to the NFL, only problem is Penn State really only had to guys like that Barkley and Parsons in the last 9 years. Good luck to Parker.

Reactions: Psugo823
Yep. No wonder Franklin and Stubblefield are flying around the country passing out WR tranfer offers, as Franklin would have known this since his player meeting after the MSU game.

It would not surprise me to see them take 3 incoming transfer WR's. Even the WR's that have played a couple seasons at lesser competition are in some respects unproven as they haven't gotten open against top CB's like what they will go against in the B10.

And for all the WR's on the roster PSU really has no proven WR returning. Wallace has made some progress. KLS has moments then disappears for games. PSU needs a player with sure hands like Clifford has shown to just go out and catch the ball for first downs.

Bring in 3 and hope 2 make the grade in 2023, with hopefully one or more having eligibility they will use in 2024.
I'd feel a lot better if we had 1 of those 3 in our pockets right now. Right about now I feel like I did around November of 2018...

We got a 5 star superstar quarterback with Nobody to throw to but 3 tight ends and 2 running backs next year as it stands at the moment.

I'd feel a lot better if we had 1 of those 3 in our pockets right now. Right about now I feel like I did around November of 2018...

We got a 5 star superstar quarterback with Nobody to throw to but 3 tight ends and 2 running backs next year as it stands at the moment.
After the next two visit weekends, this weekend and next, I believe Franklin will have 1 or 2.

Musical chairs and the portal players know it. If they want in they'll make their move sooner rather than later.

After the next two visit weekends, this weekend and next, I believe Franklin will have 1 or 2.

Musical chairs and the portal players know it. If they want in they'll make their move sooner rather than later.
When are thr visits?

When are thr visits?
I believe I read the PSU has a couple WR's visiting this weekend, among players at other positions as well. And likely will do the same next weekend before practice for the Rose Bowl gets serious.

A very busy time for the coaches as they visit all the 2023 commits, consistently contact the portal guys identified while trying to identify some more, and keep the team focused on prep for the bowl game.

Damn. This is definitely a blow. I really think he could have greatly improved his draft position with a year with Allar, a better O line and the stud RBs. Good luck young man!

I'm sorry if I missed the explanation, but seriously, what is the nature of the injury?

Franklin provided no details in late November when he first reported that Parker would be out for the rest of the season.

I mean, it's not like it can be kept a secret from the NFL...

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Well he ain't playing for psu anymore. Good luck Parker, but when you go in the 6th round to Houston don't complain.

I'm sorry if I missed the explanation, but seriously, what is the nature of the injury?

Franklin provided no details in late November when he first reported that Parker would be out for the rest of the season.

I mean, it's not like it can be kept a secret from the NFL...
However... no matter... how is it our business unless Parker Washington wants it to be?

Injury is still undisclosed.

Washington’s 11-catch, 179-yard performance against Ohio State generated more draft buzz around the 5-foot-10 prospect, buzz that was well-deserved.

“At the next level, you have to be able to run, you have to be able to get open and you have to be able to catch the ball,” wide receivers coach Taylor Stubblefield said on Nov. 17. “Those are some of the things that he does extremely well. Sometimes with guys his size you have to be elite, and his hands are absolutely elite. If given the opportunity to play at the next level, I have full confidence Parker will be a huge asset to any NFL team.”

I wonder where things stand withe the WVU committ Rodney Gallagher. He visited for MSU and seems pretty tight with Tamere Robinson. Kid is a great athlete in football and hoops.

I wonder where things stand withe the WVU committ Rodney Gallagher. He visited for MSU and seems pretty tight with Tamere Robinson. Kid is a great athlete in football and hoops.
Would love him to come aboard. His sophomore and junior year video highlights are crazy. He is an absolute ankle breaker!

Love to get Gallagher but WVU won't be easy to dislodge.

I had forgotten how close Uniontown, PA is to West Virginia and esp. Morgantown.

Reactions: bison13
That is the Mantra three years and on to the NFL, only problem is Penn State really only had to guys like that Barkley and Parsons in the last 9 years. Good luck to Parker.
It makes me think that Franklin promotes this. 3 years and we'll get you to the NFL. Maybe not, but it seems like a disproportionate number of mid-late round kids leave early at PSU.

It makes me think that Franklin promotes this. 3 years and we'll get you to the NFL. Maybe not, but it seems like a disproportionate number of mid-late round kids leave early at PSU.
It is what it is. This is college football now. Get used to it.

It is what it is. This is college football now. Get used to it.
Not everyone and not everywhere. Penn State leans toward the top of kids who leave early and lately some of them aren't even getting drafted.

Not everyone and not everywhere. Penn State leans toward the top of kids who leave early and lately some of them aren't even getting drafted.
A ridiculous statement. Last year was an aberration with multiple kids opting out when they weren’t projected to go high in the draft or were seen as an UDFA. Fashanu was projected to be a top 5 pick, but is staying. Not sure how Franklin convinced him to stay, but I would’ve told him to go. JPJ is now projected as a top 15 pick so he should go. Parker Washington had a good year and great game against OSU so his stock may not go up if he stays. My guess is his injury isn’t that serious and he decided to shut it down and get ready for the draft. If he has a good combine or pro day he’s probably a 3-4 round pick. Probably not improving on that much if he stays.

There is someone selling snake oil to PSU players that aren't yet ready. They need to figure out who it is. Too many guys leaving early to end up UDFA and then out of football quickly. I seriously doubt that they aren't getting sold on higher projections and opportunities because so many surprise to the low side when the draft occurs.

I've seen Washington projected round 4 or 5 BEFORE his injury. He is in jeopardy of being an UDFA who is recovering from injury and doesn't get the opportunity to fully prove himself. Sad.

Reactions: Psugo823 and Jerry
The players are looking for that second contract. They're no worried about coming back an extra year to hopefully move up a round. Even if he is an UDFA he's fine.

A ridiculous statement. Last year was an aberration with multiple kids opting out when they weren’t projected to go high in the draft or were seen as an UDFA. Fashanu was projected to be a top 5 pick, but is staying. Not sure how Franklin convinced him to stay, but I would’ve told him to go. JPJ is now projected as a top 15 pick so he should go. Parker Washington had a good year and great game against OSU so his stock may not go up if he stays. My guess is his injury isn’t that serious and he decided to shut it down and get ready for the draft. If he has a good combine or pro day he’s probably a 3-4 round pick. Probably not improving on that much if he stays.
That's b.s. and you know it: I have not seen one single mock with Parker anything other than round 6 at the HIGHEST and that was before the injury....something or someone is selling these kids a load of rubbish. Ask our Mike linebacker from last year how that worked out.

Reactions: Online Persona
The players are looking for that second contract. They're no worried about coming back an extra year to hopefully move up a round. Even if he is an UDFA he's fine.
Cool. Then let's encourage Donovan Edward's to leave early. Think your boy Shark face is advising him to leave? How about Ronnie
Bell, he could have left last year and gone in the 5th or 6th round just like Parker.

Reactions: CbusLion10
UDFA doesn't get the same opportunity to stick that an upper round pick does. The organization doesn't have nearly as much invested in the player. It's more like taking a flyer. If it works great, if not who cares.

That's my fear as well with an untested an unproven Allar. No WR to be that "go to" guy. Luckily the RBs and TEs will be close to the best in the country.

Yurchich better start planning on using the TEs extensively, he's going to need them.

Reactions: 81b&w
There is someone selling snake oil to PSU players that aren't yet ready. They need to figure out who it is. Too many guys leaving early to end up UDFA and then out of football quickly. I seriously doubt that they aren't getting sold on higher projections and opportunities because so many surprise to the low side when the draft occurs.

I've seen Washington projected round 4 or 5 BEFORE his injury. He is in jeopardy of being an UDFA who is recovering from injury and doesn't get the opportunity to fully prove himself. Sad.
No different than any other team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT