ADVERTISEMENT

Wvu game

Do you guys still feel we lack the roster to pull the upset in Mtown?
No. I think there are several factors. Talent, preparation, focus, enthusiasm, execution.

• Talent - I think PSU has better talent almost across the board
  • Preparation - I think WVU is well coached and we are too, typically. But we have two new coordinators so that is a bit scary.
  • Focus - First game? Both teams will be motivated but it is an away game for us so that makes things a tiny bit more challenging
  • Enthusiasm - This may better be called momentum. Both teams will be excited but having the home field typically keeps teams more motivated if the fans can will them to overcome mistakes and double down on successes
  • Execution - If both teams bring their A, B or C games, PSU wins. But if WVU brings their A game and PSU makes a lot of mistakes, a C game, we can be beaten. What are mistakes? Turnovers, penalties, missed assignments, frustration.

I think we are much more experienced this year than we were last year.

Enough to make a difference?

I believe that we have perceived weaknesses at Corners defensively and our WRs offensively. I think WVU will have to exploit those areas to win. I think we will be stronger against the run this year than last, primarily because Tom Allen doesn't jump his DTs across gaps like Manny did as well as how he'll align our LBs.

I'd like to tell you what I think about our offense, but I am not certain what AK will do. Based upon his previous stops, I think he's going to run more 2 RB sets than we've seen in addition to 2-3 TEs sets. Our WR room is a big question mark. Nobody knows if he's got them sorted out yet and 2 of our expected starters are injury prone.

I believe that we have perceived weaknesses at Corners defensively and our WRs offensively. I think WVU will have to exploit those areas to win. I think we will be stronger against the run this year than last, primarily because Tom Allen doesn't jump his DTs across gaps like Manny did as well as how he'll align our LBs.

I'd like to tell you what I think about our offense, but I am not certain what AK will do. Based upon his previous stops, I think he's going to run more 2 RB sets than we've seen in addition to 2-3 TEs sets. Our WR room is a big question mark. Nobody knows if he's got them sorted out yet and 2 of our expected starters are injury prone.
I totally agree. You go with what you've got at an OC. We are really strong at RB and TE. That allows you to run a lot of plays out of a lot of sets because these guys can run, block or catch. I think our WRs will be better than last year but not great. I expect Allar to make a leap in performance. I expect the O to be better this year than last year. We only play one elite defense this year and that is tOSU.

Some of WVU's skill positions are more experienced. But WVU lost their top two olinemen in Frazier and Nester and also had losses to graduation at most positions including the CB that signed with the Steelers. PSU's DL, particularly at DT, is super experienced so I look for PSU's defense to defend the run better than it did in the 2023 game. WVU's offense will need to pass much better than in 2023 and with PSU losing it's top 3 CB's that is a concern. But in spite of the athleticism of WVU's QB PSU should get consistent pressure on him and as long as PSU's LB's limit the WVU QB's chunk runs to a couple I don't see WVU scoring more than 17 to 21 points maximum, unless WVU's WR's totally abuse the PSU secondary and PSU's DL doesn't show up.

Will WVU's defense be better able to stop PSU's offense than they were in 2023 when PSU scored 38 points? I don't believe so as PSU's offense, in spite of losing a couple very talented olinemen, is very experienced at RB, Allar should play better (first start was last year's WVU game), and PSU's receivers should be better than last season's unit as well especially with a very talented group of TE's. The OL replacement starters are also pretty experienced and talented, other than at Center.

Anything can happen in college football if the turnover battle is one sided, but other than that I see a PSU win by 10-14 points.

I have numerous WVU grad friends and we talk college football regularly. After last season's game they were discouraged. One commented that either PSU was super good or WVU was super bad. My comment to him was that WVU ran the ball effectively against a PSU defense that will prove to be exceptional and I look for WVU to win a good many games in their season, which they did. But this coming season I can't see WVU running the ball as well on PSU, although WVU will likely still win a good many games in the B12.

I'm still trying to get tickets, although right now the tickets available on Ticketmaster and Stubhub are pretty pricy

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU2UNC
I'm still trying to get tickets, although right now the tickets available on Ticketmaster and Stubhub are pretty pricy

What are they going for?

WVU bundled our game in what looks like 3 options: season tickets, blue package (with 2 others).and gold package (with 2 other opponents).

You can be in the upper deck for $275/$450s from what I saw on their site.

Speaking of Allar….Our second best passing game of the year in 2023 was vs WVU. Second to Delaware, so really our best passing game. What did we do against WVU that we couldn’t do against the juggernaut defenses of Illinois, Iowa (OK, but we still put up 31), Northwestern and Umass the following several weeks? We regressed quickly.

Reactions: lazydave841
Speaking of Allar….Our second best passing game of the year in 2023 was vs WVU. Second to Delaware, so really our best passing game. What did we do against WVU that we couldn’t do against the juggernaut defenses of Illinois, Iowa (OK, but we still put up 31), Northwestern and Umass the following several weeks? We regressed quickly.
I actually believe that the Maryland game, especially because it was on the road against a decent team, was his best game.

Illinois showed the game plan to stop the '23 offense. Heavy box. Man coverage. WVU didn't really utilize a heavy box and their secondary was not very good last year. 85th in pass yards allowed.

We then dinked and dunked Iowa and never really were efficient the rest of the year.

The fact of it all, WVU was one of the worse defenses we faced last year, and they had us in week 1. Do what you will with their final record, but they were the typical Big 12 defense.

Reactions: Obliviax
Illinois showed the game plan to stop the '23 offense. Heavy box. Man coverage. WVU didn't really utilize a heavy box and their secondary was not very good last year. 85th in pass yards allowed.

We then dinked and dunked Iowa and never really were efficient the rest of the year.

The fact of it all, WVU was one of the worse defenses we faced last year, and they had us in week 1. Do what you will with their final record, but they were the typical Big 12 defense.
totes mcgoats.

Plus we got lucky and hit a long bomb pass play with Allar stepping up away from pressure. On the other side, we had a lot of guys get gimply early in the year. ILL has a good coach and always plays us tough. we just didn't have the WR/QB play to beat good man coverage. Stop the run and don't let anyone get deep was the book on us.

Reactions: lazydave841
49-9-2 and Penn state will hit 50 this year. Just like Maryland every year game gets hyped and Penn state wins again

Reactions: OKLionFan
Some of WVU's skill positions are more experienced. But WVU lost their top two olinemen in Frazier and Nester and also had losses to graduation at most positions including the CB that signed with the Steelers. PSU's DL, particularly at DT, is super experienced so I look for PSU's defense to defend the run better than it did in the 2023 game. WVU's offense will need to pass much better than in 2023 and with PSU losing it's top 3 CB's that is a concern. But in spite of the athleticism of WVU's QB PSU should get consistent pressure on him and as long as PSU's LB's limit the WVU QB's chunk runs to a couple I don't see WVU scoring more than 17 to 21 points maximum, unless WVU's WR's totally abuse the PSU secondary and PSU's DL doesn't show up.

Will WVU's defense be better able to stop PSU's offense than they were in 2023 when PSU scored 38 points? I don't believe so as PSU's offense, in spite of losing a couple very talented olinemen, is very experienced at RB, Allar should play better (first start was last year's WVU game), and PSU's receivers should be better than last season's unit as well especially with a very talented group of TE's. The OL replacement starters are also pretty experienced and talented, other than at Center.

Anything can happen in college football if the turnover battle is one sided, but other than that I see a PSU win by 10-14 points.

I have numerous WVU grad friends and we talk college football regularly. After last season's game they were discouraged. One commented that either PSU was super good or WVU was super bad. My comment to him was that WVU ran the ball effectively against a PSU defense that will prove to be exceptional and I look for WVU to win a good many games in their season, which they did. But this coming season I can't see WVU running the ball as well on PSU, although WVU will likely still win a good many games in the B12.

Milum was our 2nd best OL. Nestor was injury prone and his reserve played a lot. We will be much better at LBer. Only cornerback is a question.

Not sure about the other corner, but the transfer from Georgia is definitely a step up from Kalen King.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Yes, you absolutely lack the roster……but your QB is a talented “gamer”, and Morgantown is a tough place to play. If PSU turns the ball over multiple times, you have a shot. If not, you have no shot.
You would not be the first team we upset at home.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Not sure how much validation the OP wants? Could WV win? Certainly, there have been way bigger upsets in cfb.

As the one poster said, if they both play their A (or pick your equivalent preference) game, PSU will win. If PSU performs at a lessor level while WVU performs at a higher level, the result will change when a certain degree of each performance level is met.

Try and define that specific point before a game has been played is only opinion.

I think the biggest key is how our offense performs with the new OC and specifically Allar. If we are sluggish with a weak passing game then we could be in for a dogfight. Although I would hope that if we get into the game and the passing game is struggling we lean on the run game and tight ends to grind out drives. I believe the defense will be good and not really miss a beat with Allen taking over. I think the new CB portal guys will be very good.

We have the talent advantage so I think a lot would need to go wrong for us to lose. Things like turnovers and maybe some kind of special teams play or big play by WVU that catches us by surprise that swings momentum. Short of this I certainly expect us to win. Ideally we win comfortably by at least 10 points but it could be closer (or even an upset) if we don't play well and WVU does.

West Virginia isn't on Penn State's level or even remotely close. WVU doesn't have the roster to win unless Penn State plays down to their level. We all know it regardless of the absurd comments trying to pretend otherwise.

West Virginia isn't on Penn State's level or even remotely close. WVU doesn't have the roster to win unless Penn State plays down to their level. We all know it regardless of the absurd comments trying to pretend otherwise.
The betting line is 10.5, not 30.
  • First game
  • On the road
  • New OC & DC
PSU should win but this could be a game if PSU makes mistakes.

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
"West Virginia isn't on Penn State's level or even remotely close" LOL

Reactions: bison13
The betting line is 10.5, not 30.
  • First game
  • On the road
  • New OC & DC
PSU should win but this could be a game if PSU makes mistakes.
10.5 favorite on the road...not on our level
Again....we'd have to play down to them as you just said.

"West Virginia isn't on Penn State's level or even remotely close" LOL
Not sure why that's funny. We're supposed to be a playoff team. WVU isn't close to that. They have to hope to win a watered down conference to get destroyed in their first game but even that's a dream for them.

People need to accept this isn't the 80s and we're far superior. They only people that don't seem to accept that are on this board

I have a lot of respect for West Virginia. You guys don't have enough talent to beat Penn State, but you should have a fine season and should slaughter the hapless pitters.

I have a lot of respect for West Virginia. You guys don't have enough talent to beat Penn State, but you should have a fine season and should slaughter the hapless pitters.
WVU does not have PSU talent level but they do have talent that is "remotely close" despite what some ignorant posters here think. Not remotely close is a high school team.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT