ADVERTISEMENT

Wvu game

Well, I KNOW Kalen regressed after his sophomore year. I KNOW Harris looked damned good in the Spring game. Do the math.
The math is that Harris played in a scrimage and King played 2+ full B10 seasons, one of which had him as a projected top 50 NFL draft pick. And King is now heading into an NFL camp, whereas Harris is still competing for a starting position at PSU. No one knows if King or Harris will be the better player. Hope springs eternal, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
Well, I KNOW Kalen regressed after his sophomore year. I KNOW Harris looked damned good in the Spring game. Do the math.

Perfectly fine bud. I just wanted to know what you were basing your opinion off of. I'm more towards "we know less about Harris than we did about Kalen after their freshman years". Harris could be a vast improvement. I truly hope he is.

I didn't think Kalen regressed as much as he struggled being corner#1. JPJ was terrific and got thrown to more than teams probably should have. '22 also had Tig, who cleaned alot up.

WVU does not have PSU talent level but they do have talent that is "remotely close" despite what some ignorant posters here think. Not remotely close is a high school team.
No lol. Not remotely close isn't a HS team.
You have to stop this mentally that being honest about the gaps that exist in 2024 make you "mean" or "ignornat"
The talent gap between WVU and Penn State is insane.
Penn State has had 22 players drafted the past 3 years. WVU has had 2. Two. That gap isn't "remotely close". We all f****** know it.
WVU has had 22 players drafted in the past DECADE. We did in it 3 years. STOP.

Penn State will beat WVU unless we play down to their level. FACT not OPINION.
WVU is not on Penn State's level--hence we're a double digit road favorite week 1
College football is a two conference league. WVU isn't even in the third best conference (for now).
WVU is honestly just hoping they're competitive with us so they can build on that for their easy schedule the rest of the way.

Do you guys still feel we lack the roster to pull the upset in Mtown?
Yes.

To be clear, WVU is a good team. But barring some huge mistakes by PSU it should play out similar to last year. Not a blowout, but never in doubt.

Reactions: Obliviax
I totally agree. You go with what you've got at an OC. We are really strong at RB and TE. That allows you to run a lot of plays out of a lot of sets because these guys can run, block or catch. I think our WRs will be better than last year but not great. I expect Allar to make a leap in performance. I expect the O to be better this year than last year. We only play one elite defense this year and that is tOSU.

Gonna see some three TE sets for sure.

Reactions: Obliviax
Will be closer than last year.

Will it be closer because we are weaker? They are better? We play bad? Those things matter in the scheme of things.

In reality, we just need to win. 1 point. 7. Double digits. Irrelevant. Get out with the win. However, if we want to be a playoff team, we need to play at a certain level. It's just reality. If we can't overwhelm them in at least 3 phases of the game at some point, we probably aren't going to be a playoff team. At least, not one that gets out of R1.

Will it be closer because we are weaker? They are better? We play bad? Those things matter in the scheme of things.

In reality, we just need to win. 1 point. 7. Double digits. Irrelevant. Get out with the win. However, if we want to be a playoff team, we need to play at a certain level. It's just reality. If we can't overwhelm them in at least 3 phases of the game at some point, we probably aren't going to be a playoff team. At least, not one that gets out of R1.
  1. it's an away game, last year was a home game
  2. It's a nooner, last year was a night game
  3. New OC
  4. New DC

Last edited:

If this was game 4 or 5 then I would agree with you. But this is game 1 with a new OC and DC. I think if we squeak out a win there is still runway to improve significantly. Also, it depends how WVU plays. If they seem mediocre and we play down to their level then that is not a good sign but also not a season write off moment based on my earlier point. If they look good and top 25ish then certainly we would be capable of improving and still being a solid playoff team.

A) Opening game.

B) Away game

C) WVU fans are great. Stadium much smaller then ours but will be loud.

D) Maddening but we always struggle with nooners.

E) New OC. How will he click with Allar? And can he improve the receivers ?

F) New DC. Should be good but still first game with the new system.

G) New STC

H) Lost three O linemen to NFL

I) Lost several key D players.

J) Still a weak receiver room,

K) WVU QB got much better as season progressed last year. He could surprise.

L) WVU is stout against the run

Lots of questions. But even with all that we should win as our talent is significantly better. But football is about momentum and handling adversity.

A) Opening game.

B) Away game

C) WVU fans are great. Stadium much smaller then ours but will be loud.

D) Maddening but we always struggle with nooners.

E) New OC. How will he click with Allar? And can he improve the receivers ?

F) New DC. Should be good but still first game with the new system.

G) New STC

H) Lost three O linemen to NFL

I) Lost several key D players.

J) Still a weak receiver room,

K) WVU QB got much better as season progressed last year. He could surprise.

L) WVU is stout against the run

Lots of questions. But even with all that we should win as our talent is significantly better. But football is about momentum and handling adversity.

K is still hysterical. He played better against bad team. Watch the OU game. Look at his competition percentage all season. People here have issues with Allar but a QB who's name the apparently can't even remember scares them

Gonna see some three TE sets for sure.
Warren, Dinkins, & Rappleyea? I think we'll see mostly 1 or 2 TEs with Fleming & Wallace.

Unless we learned something from Michigan and use an extra TE to overload one side on running plays.

Reactions: PSU4U
Warren, Dinkins, & Rappleyea? I think we'll see mostly 1 or 2 TEs with Fleming & Wallace.

Unless we learned something from Michigan and use an extra TE to overload one side on running plays.

Some of Yurcich's best work was the 3 TE looks in '22. Primarily the Power T, but his shift to a 5 wide look had some great variables: the quick throw to Warren in a 1v1 (we got a first down), QB Draw, bubble/tunnel screen to the stack side. We had more potential here. A 6th, even a 7th OL coming in. Slipping a WR into the fold. Motion out of the back field.

I can't remember any growth of this package in '23. Maybe it occurred, but I don't remember it.

I agree that AK will utilize it, but fully expect more shifts and motions from it.

I also think a lot could be learned from Michigan's offense the past 3 years. Kaytron behind duo blocking sounds like money to me.

1. it's an away game, last year was a home game
  2. It's a nooner, last year was a night game
  3. New OC
  4. New DC
1. PSU has won road games in tougher environments before.
2. Being on the road this helps us (crowd rowdier at night)
3. Likely an upgrade
4. Probably no drop off

1. PSU has won road games in tougher environments before.
2. Being on the road this helps us (crowd rowdier at night)
3. Likely an upgrade
4. Probably no drop off
that isn't the point. the question was "Why will this game be tougher" than the one last year. If that is your point, I honestly don't know what planet you are on to suggest that a road game, in a difficult environment is easier than a home game in the opener.

I don't think anyone said we should or will lose, at least I certainly did not. What I said is it is a dangerous game as will a first game, on the road, tough crowd, new OC and new DC, it is much more likely we will play a sloppy game (penalties, turnovers, missed assignments). WVU is a good, but not great, team. We will need to play a good game to beat them. But if we play a "C" game, we could struggle. WVU isn't Kent or Ohio.

that isn't the point. the question was "Why will this game be tougher" than the one last year. If that is your point, I honestly don't know what planet you are on to suggest that a road game, in a difficult environment is easier than a home game in the opener.

I don't think anyone said we should or will lose, at least I certainly did not. What I said is it is a dangerous game as will a first game, on the road, tough crowd, new OC and new DC, it is much more likely we will play a sloppy game (penalties, turnovers, missed assignments). WVU is a good, but not great, team. We will need to play a good game to beat them. But if we play a "C" game, we could struggle. WVU isn't Kent or Ohio.
We played our C game last year and won easily.

I'll just say this game concerns me. Right now, we have to many unknowns and a lot of moving parts plus all the things you mentioned.

I'll just say this game concerns me. Right now, we have to many unknowns and a lot of moving parts plus all the things you mentioned.
It shouldn't concern you. The mindset needs to change. We can't be talking playoffs and we worried about a team we easily beat last year playing our C game with a QB making his first start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT