ADVERTISEMENT

"Yea, I'm thinking I'm back."

John Wick
Penn State releases the full Drew Allar and he leads a revamped offense and the Lions finish 5-0 for the rest of the B1G season.
I give Penn State a good chance to beat Michigan. We will be tremendously motivated. Redemption and at least a path towards a Big Ten championship is on the line. I don’t think Michigan will be able to push our defense around at home like they did last year at the Big House. And that alone will likely keep us in the game. Plus Drew plays a lot better at home. But first we have to beat Indiana and Maryland. With the shaky way Drew has played on the road the Maryland game concerns me.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
I give Penn State a good chance to beat Michigan. We will be tremendously motivated. Redemption and at least a path towards a Big Ten championship is on the line. I don’t think Michigan will be able to push our defense around at home like they did last year at the Big House. And that alone will likely keep us in the game. Plus Drew plays a lot better at home. But first we have to beat Indiana and Maryland. With the shaky way Drew has played on the road the Maryland game concerns me.
I share your Drew/Maryland concerns.

Most of our WRs can't get open and can't block. Son3 of this is caused by scheme. Defenses can use the sidelines as defenders.

Cephas is a key to the Lions success and throwing passes to recievers between the hash marks that are running away from the LOS.

Could even very good recruiters get open when defenses know that almost all passes will be thrown in front of them near the sidelines?

Hmmmm ..... not an impressive win today. I'm worried that we'll struggle with more than Michigan.
You’re right, it wasn’t an impressive win. But the mental state of this team had to be down big time after the Ohio State loss. But they managed to suck it up and beat Indiana even if it wasn’t an impressive win.

You’re right, it wasn’t an impressive win. But the mental state of this team had to be down big time after the Ohio State loss. But they managed to suck it up and beat Indiana even if it wasn’t an impressive win.
More like “they sucked but still beat Indiana “

More like “they sucked but still beat Indiana “
I agree....but exactly who "they" is needs to be clarified. IMHO:

The DBs sucked...2 bombs/blown coverages/ multiple 3rd conversions via pass

The OC sucked..."Running away from success" again. Play calling all over the yard. Just cause we have a bunch of plays doesn't mean we need to run them all when Kaytron and Nick are getting 5 per carry. Make them stop us first.

Our DL and LBs sucked....allowed 2-4 yards after contact pretty much of the game their 27bwas a big boy but not bigger than our guys.

Our Receivers sucked: KLS big drop, Nick (who took a seat for awhile after another butterfingers screen miss on the opposite side of field but almost same scenario as OSU) and Theo w offensive PI. I missed the 1st qtr so may be more.

Our overall D sucked....Manny wasn't pleased, but we let them drive and without a missed chip shot fg we are down 3 late- which is where we deserved to be

OL kinda sucked...ran the ball well...but allowed pressure too...Drew's INT is on him but was influenced by IU attacking. Hold on Nelson cost 3 points or more

Our Special Teams were ok....missed fg was close. But the pooch kick fair catch ad nauseum basically sacrificed 7 or so yards per until Warren finally takes one forward and 11 holds...punter was ok but missed some opportunities to pin them.

The star of the game was 99 kick off guy.

But we won. Reminded me of many JoePa Ws vs the Temples, BCs, Cuses, Terps and Knights of old. We were favored by 31 points for God's sake . Thank goodness we won. I was considering doing a day trip for the game. Was happy to be on my couch.

Reactions: royboy
I agree....but exactly who "they" is needs to be clarified. IMHO:

The DBs sucked...2 bombs/blown coverages/ multiple 3rd conversions via pass

The OC sucked..."Running away from success" again. Play calling all over the yard. Just cause we have a bunch of plays doesn't mean we need to run them all when Kaytron and Nick are getting 5 per carry. Make them stop us first.

Our DL and LBs sucked....allowed 2-4 yards after contact pretty much of the game their 27bwas a big boy but not bigger than our guys.

Our Receivers sucked: KLS big drop, Nick (who took a seat for awhile after another butterfingers screen miss on the opposite side of field but almost same scenario as OSU) and Theo w offensive PI. I missed the 1st qtr so may be more.

Our overall D sucked....Manny wasn't pleased, but we let them drive and without a missed chip shot fg we are down 3 late- which is where we deserved to be

OL kinda sucked...ran the ball well...but allowed pressure too...Drew's INT is on him but was influenced by IU attacking. Hold on Nelson cost 3 points or more

Our Special Teams were ok....missed fg was close. But the pooch kick fair catch ad nauseum basically sacrificed 7 or so yards per until Warren finally takes one forward and 11 holds...punter was ok but missed some opportunities to pin them.

The star of the game was 99 kick off guy.

But we won. Reminded me of many JoePa Ws vs the Temples, BCs, Cuses, Terps and Knights of old. We were favored by 31 points for God's sake . Thank goodness we won. I was considering doing a day trip for the game. Was happy to be on my couch.
you pretty much listed every position group as having poor performance today. And I’ll include Hardy on punt returns as well as he had at least one easy fair catch with the defenders 7+ yards away when he caught it. Should have had a 3-5 yard return at least.
You also didn’t mention Allar’s overall performance and he missed at least a few open receivers in addition to his inaccuracy.

The OL sucked, not kind of…. PSU averaged 3.1 ypc for the game against a weak run defense. Should be averaging 5.5-6 ypc.

How many times did the IU QB escape the pocket, escape the PSU pass rush, and extend drives? Way too many.

No bright spots to mention. Dixon and King may have each dropped a round in the draft with their performances today.

Announcers mentioned PSU moving up in the rankings after the win, but anyone that watched today’s game should move them down.

you pretty much listed every position group as having poor performance today. And I’ll include Hardy on punt returns as well as he had at least one easy fair catch with the defenders 7+ yards away when he caught it. Should have had a 3-5 yard return at least.
You also didn’t mention Allar’s overall performance and he missed at least a few open receivers in addition to his inaccuracy.

The OL sucked, not kind of…. PSU averaged 3.1 ypc for the game against a weak run defense. Should be averaging 5.5-6 ypc.

How many times did the IU QB escape the pocket, escape the PSU pass rush, and extend drives? Way too many.

No bright spots to mention. Dixon and King may have each dropped a round in the draft with their performances today.

Announcers mentioned PSU moving up in the rankings after the win, but anyone that watched today’s game should move them down.
Only thing I'll disagree on is Dixon. I think he is having a fine yr and is an A+ blitzer - Manny loves using him.

However, Kalen has been bad...awful footwork getting frequently turned around, isn't making plays. Been a major disappointment this yr.

Any hope I had of us pulling off the stunner on 11/11 went out the window today watching that performance.

Forget about the offense, McCarthy will murder this defense. I have nightmares of him consistently breaking containment and picking up critical first downs. Corum will gash us and McCarthy will pick us apart. If Indiana can do this to us, Michigan will have a field day. Remember when we played OSU, no Henderson. He just dominated Wisky. If he played last week we lose by 3 TDs.

On offense it will be the same old stale, unexplosive, stuck in the mud show that we all are now numb to. ScUM will suuffocate the run by overwhelming our soft O-Line and make us pass which we cannot do.

I cannot believe the spread is only 2.5pts.

You are right...as soon as I hit post I realized I didn't really mention Drew other than INT. Big throw late but overall not a good day. Didn't feel like he was in control. Some nice throws but then some whiffs too like the Intentional Grounding.

The Hardy fair catch at the 11 was a goof for sure. He has made judegment mistakes the last 2 weeks that are either a learnimg curve or reason to not have that job. We'll see.

The King brothers again had some tough moments- 41 w another 15 yd penalty and 4 getting beat like a drum by IU guys not named Harrison.

But again- we won. Great coupla plays...the bomb to KLS and then the strip sack. We earned the W but it sure wasn't pretty. Glad OU gets to be the upset of the week by themselves. We came close.

Vegas typically is so dialed in on spreads. UT vs Kentucky and OSU vs Wisky dead on. Us favored by 31? The logic of RU thumping IU in Bloomigton and us taking out some frustration makes some sense. We just didn't show up until late. Relieved we did.

Eventhough the Terps are on a bad run I wouldn't make us very big favorites. We'll see. I didn't mention Coach Franklin at all but in the end the CEO is responsible for everyone in the organization. I only yelled at the tv a few times today. Coach got the majority. We didn't play like a Top 10 team. That is on him....

If one has a successful company which strives to be the leader in its field, yet allows some employees to consistently perform below the standard then the firm is destined to stay in its' current state or fall back.

A veritable "Habitrail." We won a game on the last two posessions that should've been done by halftime. A positive: our young guys showed some guts and made plays in the clutch. A negative: it was against a team that got bitchslapped by Rutgers at home and was a 31 point dog.

A win is a win. 1-0. I'm feeling better today than if we lost. Imagine the Board this mornimg if had we deflated all the way?

But luckily we didn't.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Any hope I had of us pulling off the stunner on 11/11 went out the window today watching that performance.

Forget about the offense, McCarthy will murder this defense. I have nightmares of him consistently breaking containment and picking up critical first downs. Corum will gash us and McCarthy will pick us apart. If Indiana can do this to us, Michigan will have a field day. Remember when we played OSU, no Henderson. He just dominated Wisky. If he played last week we lose by 3 TDs.

On offense it will be the same old stale, unexplosive, stuck in the mud show that we all are now numb to. ScUM will suuffocate the run by overwhelming our soft O-Line and make us pass which we cannot do.

I cannot believe the spread is only 2.5pts.
So you are basing how we play against Michigan solely on yesterdays game vs Indiana?

Reactions: ncgolfer
Michigan hasn’t played anyone yet either. Rutgers might be their toughest game so far and that was at home.

Let’s get healthy and continue to chip away. Hopefully Allar plays better coming down the stretch here.

My concern is, we basically had 1 month to scheme an offense for OSU and the play calling was pretty bad.

I hope JF comes up with some type of creativity quick to beat UM at home. The crowd should be loud for the game, so at least that is in our favor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT