ADVERTISEMENT

Zane Durant

PSUNYGNYY

Jul 15, 2018
I think Zane is poised for a breakout season. 1st team B10 and a first round pick. The only knock on him is his size, but he’s up to 290 and is still a ridiculous athlete. The B10 crew mentioned him specifically as a DT that stood out on a loaded DL. I actually hope he has a good year, but doesn’t go off the charts and enter the draft. We’ll lose a ton on the Dline after this season so having him back next year would be huge. Losing DDS, Carter, Durant, J Thomas, and Izzard would be crippling in 2025.

I think Zane is poised for a breakout season. 1st team B10 and a first round pick. The only knock on him is his size, but he’s up to 290 and is still a ridiculous athlete. The B10 crew mentioned him specifically as a DT that stood out on a loaded DL. I actually hope he has a good year, but doesn’t go off the charts and enter the draft. We’ll lose a ton on the Dline after this season so having him back next year would be huge. Losing DDS, Carter, Durant, J Thomas, and Izzard would be crippling in 2025.

That's what the portal is for brother!

If he turns pro, along with DDS and Carter, that likely means we had a very good year.

Good old NIL might keep guys like Durant around for another year if he has a pretty good season (late round pick) vs leaving to be a top 3-4 round pick kind of player. If there's a silver lining with NIL, that would be it.

PSU defense in 2024 better than 2023, which was an all world defense.

I think that we do it in 2024 by beating the guy in front of us, versus scheming and blitzing the lower teams.

Stacked across the front line...... very solid at DB and a young but talented LB...... PSU will be a handful on Defense this year.

Reactions: royboy
Ford also has another year of eligibility. Having Ford and Durant back (after losing Ellies, Izzard and Beamon), along with Artis, Blanding and the four 2024 DT's should set up Barnes with enough talent and experience and talent to mold into a good DT rotation.

I'm just as concerned at this point with the 2025 DE depth as Carter, DDS and Vanover are the only proven talent going into 2024, and all likely gone after 2024. Possibly Vilbert as well who also will be gone after 2024. A good many young DE's on the roster now and it will be important for Barnes and Allen to get them some experience and develop them this season and the next off season. Maybe Fisher has another year of eligibility and can recover to add a mature DE to the 2025 room.

Last edited:
Don’t know about the first round part, but everything else sounds very reasonable. I think he can have a great year if he remains healthy. Very optimistic of this years team. —With no major injuries, The ceiling is very high…..higher than any of Franklin’s previous teams

Losing DDS, Carter, Durant, J Thomas, and Izzard would be crippling in 2025.
Also likely losing Allar, Singleton, Allen, Warren, Dawkins, and Wormley on offense (+ Fleming).

A lot of those players were from the #6 rated class of 2022 and PSU hasn't had a top 10 class since then. I'm sure Franklin will try to hit the portal hard but I think we'll be rebuilding. That's what makes this year so important.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I understand the concern with losing guys but in this era you reload you don't rebuild. Crush the portal and fill any gaps. Guys excelling and going early in the draft should make kids wants to come here. It's not even remotely a negative. It's just Franklin's job to get the players he needs when/if they leave.

I agree kids leaving early to be a 1st round is great for the program and if Durant is projected in rounds 1-3 he should go. I guess my concern is the depth along the Dline in 2025 as we lose a ton. Reload is the goal, but we haven’t done too well in the portal except at corner. I think 2024 is our best shot at the CFB playoff based on who we potentially lose after this year. We could potentially have multiple first round picks with Carter, DDS, Winston, and Allar. Not to mention Singleton, Durant, Kimber, and Reed also being early rounds.

Ford also has another year of eligibility. Having Ford and Durant back (after losing Ellies, Izzard and Beamon), along with Artis, Blanding and the four 2024 DT's should set up Barnes with enough talent and experience and talent to mold into a good DT rotation.

I'm just as concerned that this point with the 2025 DE depth as Carter, DDS and Vanover are the only proven talent going into 2024. Possibly Vilbert as well who also will be gone after 2024. A good many young DE's on the roster now and it will be important for Barnes and Allen to get them some experience and develop them this season and the next off season. Maybe Fisher has another year of eligibility and can recover to add a mature DE to the 2025 room.
Granville in '25 could be a good contributor at EDGE.

I agree kids leaving early to be a 1st round is great for the program and if Durant is projected in rounds 1-3 he should go. I guess my concern is the depth along the Dline in 2025 as we lose a ton. Reload is the goal, but we haven’t done too well in the portal except at corner. I think 2024 is our best shot at the CFB playoff based on who we potentially lose after this year. We could potentially have multiple first round picks with Carter, DDS, Winston, and Allar. Not to mention Singleton, Durant, Kimber, and Reed also being early rounds.
I agree completely about Durant. He can be very good and super athletic.

We have a lot of depth at D-Line that needs to step up in '25. In '25 we have D-Line guys entering either their 2nd or 3rd year in the program that were 4 star recruits. Need to try to get them a little game experience this year.

Reactions: RickinDayton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT