ADVERTISEMENT

18 days until Penn State administers a severe Pitt beatdown.

Luke Bryan is giving a concert in Kane,Pa????

Is it really a concert if it's just one guy standing there singing about how his dog died and his truck broke down? The word 'concert' to me generally implies multiple people playing instruments, and of course... talent.

Reactions: garw
Not really, and I'll be at the Luke Bryan concert. Not posting on the Lair.
The loyalty of the Pitt fan base inspires awe throughout all levels of college football. One day I hope that all college football fans will be able to watch games on their mobile device, or even listen to the game on this new-fangled thing called radio.

I don't like the mindset of even fans thinking a game is going to be a blowout. MOST games aren't blowouts, and in the event of a close game you get a quiet, nervous stadium. Better to go in with the mindset that it's going to be a tough, slobberknocker, and be pleasantly surprised if it isn't.

We(WVU) thought we were going to thump Pitt in 2007 and look what happened to us 13-9!!I think you'll win by 12-14 pts but you never know in sports.
WVU had a ton on the line and that game was just too big for them. This is PSU's second game of the year...nowhere near the pressure. It's apples and oranges.

I'm a little leery of all the Penn State fans getting too cocky about this game. We deserve to be heavy favorites, but there are upsets and unexpected nail-biters every week.
I'm a little leery of leery people about this game.

Howie. I believe these are yours (very stylish). 30 points? I expect us to beat Pitt but the game will be reasonably close, 13 points or less, say 30-17.

blue-lens-aviator-sunglasses-1.jpg
Listen, if Pitt and Penn State switched rosters for this game, many of you would be saying Pitt is going to kill us, so why can't we say it when we clearly have the better ball club, a huge home field advantage, and revenge on our minds.

Reactions: m48tank
Listen, if Pitt and Penn State switched rosters for this game, many of you would be saying Pitt is going to kill us, so why can't we say it when we clearly have the better ball club, a huge home field advantage, and revenge on our minds.
I would not be one of them. Pitt is better than most people think. Most upsets happen in the 1st two weeks of the season. I expect us to win, but to me talking about a blowout is crazy. I don't rule it out, but I really expect some nail biting on this board. Oh, and ask Clemson about that huge home field advantage. Pitt was a 19 point dog in that game. Seems I've seen that 19 point spread again somewhere the last week or so.

Last edited:
I would not be one of them. Pitt is better than most people think. Most upsets happen in the 1st two weeks of the season. I expect us to win, but to me talking about a blowout is crazy. I don't rule it out, but I really expect some nail biting on this board. Oh, and ask Clemson about that huge home field advantage. Pitt was a 19 point dog in that game
Pitt isn't the same team that we played last year they were decimated by graduation and further by suspension and injuries, and they have recruited poorly over the last few seasons. I believe only 2 returning starters from last year's defense that gave up 35 points a game will be playing in our game. On offense they lost 5 starters and their all everything OC, 4 of those players to the NFL, again from a team who has not recruited well the last four years. PSU also has one of the biggest home field advantages in the sport. If PSU truly is a top 10 team this year's game should not be competitive. What makes you think this year's Pitt team will be better than we all think?

Pitt isn't the same team that we played last year they were decimated by graduation and further by suspension and injuries, and they have recruited poorly over the last few seasons. I believe only 2 returning starters from last year's defense that gave up 35 points a game will be playing in our game. On offense they lost 5 starters and their all everything OC, 4 of those players to the NFL, again from a team who has not recruited well the last four years. PSU also has one of the biggest home field advantages in the sport. If PSU truly is a top 10 team this year's game should not be competitive. What makes you think this year's Pitt team will be better than we all think?
Because I have a good friend who is very close to the Pitt program and he tells me so. He has always been very honest about their team in our discussions. He thinks Penn State will win, but the game will be close. That is good enough for me. He may be wrong and so might anyone who expects us to blow them out. Let's play the game and see.

I would not be one of them. Pitt is better than most people think. Most upsets happen in the 1st two weeks of the season. I expect us to win, but to me talking about a blowout is crazy. I don't rule it out, but I really expect some nail biting on this board. Oh, and ask Clemson about that huge home field advantage. Pitt was a 19 point dog in that game. Seems I've seen that 19 point spread again somewhere the last week or so.
You give no evidence why Pitt is better than most people think. Truth is, they are not. You can't say they are even close to the same team we played last year. And Penn State is vastly better than the team they played.

Is it really a concert if it's just one guy standing there singing about how his dog died and his truck broke down? The word 'concert' to me generally implies multiple people playing instruments, and of course... talent.

It's bro country, so the repertoire is varied. He'll also sing about girls and beer.

I personally don't think Pitt stands a chance of winning this game. Yet I hate when fans start talking shit before actually winning the game.

Reactions: marshall23
You give no evidence why Pitt is better than most people think. Truth is, they are not. You can't say they are even close to the same team we played last year. And Penn State is vastly better than the team they played.

Think of it this way, most people think Pitt is so bad, that they HAVE to be better than most people think. So it's not really saying much. Hell, many people don't even know Pitt has a football program.

Because I have a good friend who is very close to the Pitt program and he tells me so. He has always been very honest about their team in our discussions. He thinks Penn State will win, but the game will be close. That is good enough for me. He may be wrong and so might anyone who expects us to blow them out. Let's play the game and see.

Also, your friend might believe Pitt will be good but can he say for certain that Pitt will be say top 25 good in the second game of the season? PSU was really good last year but they were not a good team in the first month of the season. Sure, Pitt could turn into a half decent team by the end of the year once their players come back from suspension and some of their younger guys get some playing time but they won't be there come September 9th.

Vastly better teams lose. Pitt (then 5-4) beat 9-0 Clemson on the road in an environment every bit as hostile as Penn State. Pitt had lost to Miami by 23 the week before. Clemson went on to win the National Championship crushing OSU 31-0 and then beating Alabama.
We will just disagree on this. I hope you are right, but to act like it's a done deal is a bit premature.

Last edited:
No evidence can be provided, because no evidence exists. All we have at this point is circumstantial evidence. For example, media predictions, returning letterman/ starters etc. Last time I checked, all of that sort of stuff goes out the window when the ball is kicked off. Look, we are all PSU fans. Some of us are more cautious than others. The game is played by humans. Humans don't always perform as anticipated......then there is that damn bouncing ball to calculate. I can't help but wonder what Michigan fans were saying a few days before Appalachian State visited the "Big House." Bet they would have predicted a blow out.

Vastly better teams lose. Pitt (then 5-4) beat 9-0 Clemson on the road in an environment every bit as hostile as Penn State. Pitt had lost to Miami by 23 the week before. Clemson went on to win the National Championship crushing OSU 31-0 and then beating Alabama.
We will just disagree on this. I hope you are right, but to act like it's a done deal is a bit premature.

I think Pitt getting crushed by Miami the week before actually HELPED Pitt beat Clemson. Clemson probably took them too lightly thinking all they had to do was get off the bus and they will win by 3TDs. Don't think PSU is going to look past Pitt this year the way Clemson most likely did last year.

I think Pitt getting crushed by Miami the week before actually HELPED Pitt beat Clemson. Clemson probably took them too lightly thinking all they had to do was get off the bus and they will win by 3TDs. Don't think PSU is going to look past Pitt this year the way Clemson most likely did last year.
You actually think Clemson, then the No. 3 ranked team in the country and in the running for a National Championship, took Pitt lightly? That's it. I have to move on from this thread. I can't beat an argument like that.

You actually think Clemson, then the No. 3 ranked team in the country and in the running for a National Championship, took Pitt lightly? That's it. I have to move on from this thread. I can't beat an argument like that.

Sure do. Pitt certainly didn't beat Pitt because they have a better roster or better coaching. It's only natural for teams to get up for some teams mores o than others. Can see a scenario where Clemson could have been caught looking past a 4 loss Pitt team.

Sure do. Pitt certainly didn't beat Pitt because they have a better roster or better coaching. It's only natural for teams to get up for some teams mores o than others. Can see a scenario where Clemson could have been caught looking past a 4 loss Pitt team.
And this could not possibly happen to Penn State because....well.....um, because our guys are different than last year's National Champions.:rolleyes: Okey dokey.
I said I was leaving this thread before but hung around. I will now exit through the sea of blue and white pom poms.;)

Reactions: marshall23
Anyone who watched Pitt Clemson knew Clemson had a raft of starters hurt and the QB played hurt. EOS.

Since I will not be on the field playing in the Pitt game I predict we win by 50 because it doesn't matter in the least what I predict and it has zero baring on the outcome so its fun to predict we crush them and I think we will but either way it doesn't effect what happens.

Anyone who watched Pitt Clemson knew Clemson had a raft of starters hurt and the QB played hurt. EOS.

Clemson still dominated that game, they had chance after chance to put it away and just kept making stupid mistakes... aided by some really bad officiating. It was nothing short of a miracle that Pitt won that game. It's not like Pitt just came out and played lights out and won it, it's that Clemson mailed it in and lost a game they should have easily won. It was the sort of win that as a fan, you couldn't even feel good about it. Like SG winning the Pulitzer prize, it's getting something you don't deserve and can't feel good about.

IMO its bad karma. I'd rather see a thread calculating the # bandwagon leapers if PSU should lose.

Bad karma? There's no such thing as karma. Tons of terrible people are wildly successful. If karma dictated good and bad fortune we'd see the terrible people of the world failing and they don't.

PSU is going to run Pitt off the field on September 9th. At least that's what I think is going to happen. It doesn't matter what I think, though because I don't play the games.

And this could not possibly happen to Penn State because....well.....um, because our guys are different than last year's National Champions.:rolleyes: Okey dokey.
I said I was leaving this thread before but hung around. I will now exit through the sea of blue and white pom poms.;)

Difference is, Pitt beat PSU last year so I doubt anyone on PSU is overlooking them. Pitt is nothing to Clemson, don't even think they have played in the past until last year. PSU won't be overlooking this game.

As I read this thread, I go back to a thread I started a few days ago. The result of that thread went something like this:

DON'T. FEEL. GOOD. ABOUT. ANYTHING. PENN. STATE. EVER. :eek:

WE. ARE. ... GOOD. AT. NOTHING. :eek:

WRONG. METRICS. :eek:

I absolutely agree with him. It's the only logical explanation for how Clemson could lose that game. Not in any way, shape or form was Pitt a better team than Clemson. They needed help from Clemson to win and Clemson gave it to them.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised at how shocked you seem by the idea. It happens all the time. WVU vs. Pitt in 2007, one game away from going to the BCS Championship game, flat out didn't show up. Ohio State, in 2006, 2007 and 2016. I know we like to take our shots at whether Ohio State deserved to be in the playoff last year, but does anyone really believe that Clemson was 31 points better than Ohio State. Nope, for whatever reason, Ohio State just didn't show up. These are just a few examples off the top of my head. It happens.

As I read this thread, I go back to a thread I started a few days ago. The result of that thread went something like this:

DON'T. FEEL. GOOD. ABOUT. ANYTHING. PENN. STATE. EVER. :eek:

WE. ARE. ... GOOD. AT. NOTHING. :eek:

WRONG. METRICS. :eek:
I don't understand the :eek: outrage over the majority of fans here thinking the Lions are going to pummel the Panthers. It's completely reasonable to think that PSU will roll - talent level, depth, returning starters, consistency vs. changes in coaching, revenge for last year's loss, Franklin wanting payback for Nard-dog talking smack on the recruiting trail (do NOT underestimate this - Franklin is pretty damn cheerful all the time but I would not cross the guy), and our players remembering the vile insults yelled at them in the stadium last year. They'll be ready. Sure, major upsets happen, but some of the naysayers are being awfully selective and ignoring the odds. And sure, if we lose that'll absolutely suck.

I'm more excited about this team than I've been since 1999, and think Week 2 is going to be a beatdown. I'm going to the game and can't wait. For those who disagree, that's cool; let's agree to disagree but I don't wanna hear a lecture about it. You do you.

Oh yeah, my opinion has absolutely zero impact on the game. So I'm just going to sit here and be all excited about what I think is gonna happen.

Reactions: pandaczar12
I don't understand the :eek: outrage over the majority of fans here thinking the Lions are going to pummel the Panthers. It's completely reasonable to think that PSU will roll - talent level, depth, returning starters, consistency vs. changes in coaching, revenge for last year's loss, Franklin wanting payback for Nard-dog talking smack on the recruiting trail (do NOT underestimate this - Franklin is pretty damn cheerful all the time but I would not cross the guy), and our players remembering the vile insults yelled at them in the stadium last year. They'll be ready. Sure, major upsets happen, but some of the naysayers are being awfully selective and ignoring the odds. And sure, if we lose that'll absolutely suck.

I'm more excited about this team than I've been since 1999, and think Week 2 is going to be a beatdown. I'm going to the game and can't wait. For those who disagree, that's cool; let's agree to disagree but I don't wanna hear a lecture about it. You do you.

Oh yeah, my opinion has absolutely zero impact on the game. So I'm just going to sit here and be all excited about what I think is gonna happen.

We have some Penn State miserables here. Ever since November 2011, everything about Penn State is awful. We suck.

Athetics? Good, but don't be confident. We aren't that good. Don't enjoy it.

Academics? Declining. Don't report anything good about the academics because the metrics are wrong. University Park has a bunch of stupid out-of-staters who are willing to pay a lot for their education. Turrible.

This is not your grandpappy's Penn State. The place is a shambles.

I could go on and probably will at some point.

:eek:

Bad karma? There's no such thing as karma. Tons of terrible people are wildly successful. If karma dictated good and bad fortune we'd see the terrible people of the world failing and they don't.

PSU is going to run Pitt off the field on September 9th. At least that's what I think is going to happen. It doesn't matter what I think, though because I don't play the games.
agree w/ your 2nd paragraph.

You give no evidence why Pitt is better than most people think. Truth is, they are not.

The real truth is...nobody knows.
You don't know. I don't know.
Narduzzi and Franklin have an idea about their own teams based on what they've seen in practice, but they really won't know how good any other teams can play until they actually start playing some games.
Some folks here believe the PSU-Pitt game will be a blowout.
Others think it will be close.
I'm sure it would be easy to find some Pitt fans who believe the Panthers are going to win.
And the truth is none of you actually KNOW anything that can help you determine the outcome of the game in advance. So all these predictions, while fun, are just a bunch of blather.
I want Penn State to beat Akron.
I want Penn State to beat Pitt.
And if both are one-point wins, I'm fine with that. Anything more is a bonus this early in the season.

Reactions: MrDibbs
I absolutely agree with him. It's the only logical explanation for how Clemson could lose that game. Not in any way, shape or form was Pitt a better team than Clemson. They needed help from Clemson to win and Clemson gave it to them.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised at how shocked you seem by the idea. It happens all the time. WVU vs. Pitt in 2007, one game away from going to the BCS Championship game, flat out didn't show up. Ohio State, in 2006, 2007 and 2016. I know we like to take our shots at whether Ohio State deserved to be in the playoff last year, but does anyone really believe that Clemson was 31 points better than Ohio State. Nope, for whatever reason, Ohio State just didn't show up. These are just a few examples off the top of my head. It happens.
Can we be honest in what Pitt was last year. They were probably the most balanced offense in all of college football and put up a lot of points. They had the potential to beat anyone. The problem was they had the worst defense in college football on the other end of the bench.

Yep. The Clemson QB was hurting so bad he was held to a school record 52 passing attempts and an ACC record 580 yards.

Regardless, he was hurt and put forth a heroic effort. The other starters hurt gave Pitt opportunities they never should have sniffed. Pitt should have gotten buried, and September 9th will hopefully see them face down int the dirt.

Where they belong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT