ADVERTISEMENT

18 PSU frat brothers charged with manslaughter...

The clearly "unlawful act" is furnishing him (a minor) alcohol "recklessly or negligently" (i.e. the gauntlet), which is the ultimate action that led to his death. Giving him that alcohol made him "stuporously" drunk (LINK: from the med examiner, see Par. 290-310) >>>him being drunk led him to falling down the stairs>>>>him falling down the stairs lead to his traumatic brain injury>>>the TBI killed him.

Did they actually make him drink?

I grew up in State College. I can't remember a single time my community was made better by the frats. Like seriously...in 24 years in State College, I never remember them volunteering at my schools, never saw a fraternity of brothers cleaning trash on the side of the road, doing food drives, etc. They mostly just tangled up the emergency services with their self-induced stupidity, keeping emergency personnel from other emergencies that people hadn't brought upon themselves. I mean, I guess there was a lot of drinking FTK...and I guess they did some canning along with a lot non-frat students too. I can't think of much benefit though.

When did you do any of the above?

They don't have to in order to be guilty.

Depends on the charges. If they did not force him to do anything then the hazing charges are gone. I would bet most of the manslaughter charges would not stick either. 36 guys did not supply the alcohol. The members that signed for the alcohol or paid for it are screwed. Probably the Pres, Treasurer and whoever.

Did they force him to drink?

Last edited:
I remember the efforts people would go to when I was at Penn State to "get on the list" for a frat party. It seemed to be the be all to end all for many students, as if they could not have a good weekend or meet people if they didn't "get on the list". I was always "whatever" with respect to that activity.

Now, I realize that some people reading my posts probably think I'm atop a high horse here, especially given the subject of this thread. That is not my intention. I was a chemistry major in the Blue Band, so to many, I was a nerd, which was not enviable in college. We're all different. However, that's what makes a place like Penn State great. There is something for everyone (aside from the classes).
I had zero interest in joining a frat. I really saw no benefit to it for furthering my education.

Depends on the charges. If they did not force him to do anything then the hazing charges are gone. 36 guys did not supply the alcohol.

What do you mean by forced? Like physically forced? Pretty sure that's not the definition of hazing, as that's considered assault.

Give us the definition of hazing. How was he hazed?

Go look up the PA legal defintion. It's very broad and certainly encompasses the events of the gauntlet.

Also gives a definition of "forced" at the bottom, which basically says that if there's a direct or indirect condition of initiation into the organization then the activity is considered "forced", the willingness of the individual of the participant notwithstanding.

Additionally, GJR has statements from the brothers that it was known if you didn't participate that you would lose pledge standing. So there's your indirect condition.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...sctn=002.&subsctn=000.&mobile_choice=suppress

Reactions: no1lion99
The parallels between the kid telling his story that he tried to get help, and McQueary, are interesting. Apparently, in the press, it matters not if you stopped it or not, as long as you tried, no matter how feebly.

Of course, the parallel ends in that in one instance he was told not to do anything or tell anyone. But until then...

Depends on the charges. If they did not force him to do anything then the hazing charges are gone. I would bet most of the manslaughter charges would not stick either. 36 guys did not supply the alcohol. The members that signed for the alcohol or paid for it are screwed. Probably the Pres, Treasurer and whoever.

I guess there is a precedent for charging all that had a hand in supplying and PAYING for (even though underage) the alcohol.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_f32adeae-4030-593a-907f-ca466640cbc2.html

https://www.google.com/amp/radaronl...leader-fall-paige-raque-criminal-charges/amp/

Last edited:
Reactions: no1lion99
What in the world were these Frat brothers thinking? Nobody was a bigger hellion in college than me. But with all the stuff out there today, it's not like this stuff hasn't been all over the media in the past 5 yrs, what were these guys trying to do???? This kid should not be dead, my God. Jeez...this is a God awful shame. My prayers to the parents.

They don't need to force him. If they do something, lawful or unlawful, to him in a reckless or negligent manner and he dies, it's involuntary manslaughter. In this case there are two possible acts that fit those details. The first is furnishing him alcohol. So any brother who either purchased it or handed it to him is toast. The second is the hazing known as the gauntlet. Even were he of legal age any reasonable person would consider that a reckless form of drinking. Thirdly they were pretty clearl negligent in getting him medical attention when he was clearly injured. And lastly the medical examiner argued that their treatment of him while he was unconscious may have exacerbated his injuries. Take your pick, but I'd bet the majority of them plead out without stepping foot near a jury.

When did you do any of the above?

I did community service all throughout high school and college. Like I said, I never saw the frats out there with us. I volunteered with Centre Parks and Rec, Meals on Wheels, did events at local nursing homes, free car washes, yard work for elderly folks just off campus (who often had beer cans and other trash thrown into their bushes and yard), was a youth camp leader in college, volunteered as an English as a Second Language aide at Easterly Parkway Elementary School. I saw and worked with plenty of PSU students out there--never any frat bros.

Interview with Stacy Parks Miller coming up on CBS This Morning.

SPM: "The video is literally a playbook of the crime."

They also briefly interviewed James Vivenzio, the former KDR member who filed a lawsuit against PSU. All but one (negligence claim against KDR) of his claims were dismissed.

Last edited:
Give us the definition of hazing. How was he hazed?
Here is the PA legal definition:

"Hazing." Any action or situation which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a person or which willfully destroys or removes public or private property for the purpose of initiation or admission into or affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in, any organization.

I think the drinking the gauntlet fits that definition.

stacy parks miller sure does love the TV time...not saying anything is wrong with her appearing but she is definitely milking this

stacy parks miller sure does love the TV time...not saying anything is wrong with her appearing but she is definitely milking this
I agree. Most DAs prosecuting cases that are national news take the opportunity. Add to it that the primary is on May 18 and she's in for a tough fight, and she'll take the free airtime.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT