ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

It appears Parson's father said today his son will announce after the HBG and CV game on 11/4. This guy has posted the article and I assume he is making a prediction Parsons picks the Lions. Parsons has denied this. What a mess.

Sounds like wires got crossed somewhere.

Assume Parsons is in what now....What will T. Smith and Oweh do? Will all three look to jump on the bandwagon or go elsewhere and make it on their own?

Assume Parsons is in what now....What will T. Smith and Oweh do? Will all three look to jump on the bandwagon or go elsewhere and make it on their own?
I don't think Parsons impacts either Smith's or Oweh's decision. He likely ends up at MLB if we do get both of them, but Parsons has the ability and desire to play multiple positions. I do think that the loss to Oklahoma in Columbus has proven to be a chink in tOSU's Armor. If Penn State hadn't had the break out finish to last year, I don't think Penn State would be able to take advantage of tOSU's (temporary) dip in street cred. If we can somehow make it to the playoffs this year, I think we would solidify ourselves as an equal recruiting competitor to tOSU and others (Clemson, Bama, FSU, etc.). Not that we'd be number 1 each year, but could have a legitimate shot at virtually any recruit in the land.

“It was great, the crowd was crazy and the team looked ridiculously good,” Oweh said.

There has been speculation during recent days about whether Penn State could potentially pull in an elite trio of defensive end targets down the stretch, signing Oweh, Micah Parsons and Tyreke Smith. Scholarship numbers are a big factor, but so is the fact these players carry about 100 combined scholarship offers.

When I asked Oweh about this somewhat surreal outcome, he didn’t shy away from the question.

“It’s possible,” he said. “We all would love to dominate, so that’d be cool if it ended up like that. I’ve talked to Tyreke a good amount of times and Micah and I [speak] every once in a while.”

Now yer talking!

"We all would love to dominate, so that’d be cool if it ended up like that."

The Oweh Way!​

Reactions: TheGLOV
From another site:

Penn State could very well be in the driver’s seat for all three of Parsons, Smith, and Oweh. Unfortunately, it’s hard to see the Nittany Lions landing the trio. With the 23 current commits, Penn State sits at 92 scholarship players in 2018 — seven over the 85 limit. Obviously, there’s a certain running back that will be leaving for the NFL draft, which means Penn State is really at 91. Using that number, that means six players will have to leave from the roster just to make room for the current 2018 class, and that’s without even accounting for guys like Parsons or Smith.

There will be attrition along the roster; there always is. But man, James Franklin would have to be a Houdini to be able to fit all three. Fortunately, Penn State does have some time to sort things out, as Oweh and Smith are slated to announce at the Under Armour All-American game, while Parsons has talked about doing the same, but may announce earlier if he’s able to enroll early.

Beyond the defensive ends, I think this just about closes the case on Solomon Enis or Kwantel Raines being viable options. Rasheed Walker might still have a slight opening, but even his spot is no longer guaranteed, which is downright crazy to think about.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...-the-recruiting-trail-football-recruiting-bsd

SAB might just be the go to guy here. I remember reading a while ago that he had stated right after he had committed (or around that time) that he would work on Parsons and Fields. He's been really bullish on Parsons every since, but if I remember correctly he had also stated something about the Field's decommitment.. saying something along the lines of there was something there that not everybody knows. Not sure what he was alluding to but thought those comments were a little strange at the time.

Maybe to go along with the parson-OSU fiasco and SAB's help, are we seeing something happen here? And all the sudden cloudy crystal balls for fields?

He also tweeted recently something like when its all said and done, he would be the greatest recruiter ever"..

Man.. me and my conspiracy theories!

Last edited:
SAB might just be the go to guy here. I remember reading a while ago that he had stated right after he had committed (or around that time) that he would work on Parsons and Fields. He's been really bullish on Parsons every since, but if I remember correctly he had also stated something about the Field's decommitment.. saying something along the lines of there was something there that not everybody knows. Not sure what he was alluding to but thought those comments were a little strange at the time.

Maybe to go along with the parson-OSU fiasco and SAB's help, are we seeing something happen here? And all the sudden cloudy crystal balls for fields?

He also tweeted recently something like when its all said and done, he would be the greatest recruiter ever"..

Man.. me and my conspiracy theories!
I like your attitude.:)

From the info available Parsons and Fields current recruiting situations have nothing in common. Has Fields even mentioned PSU lately, or inferred that he would consider visiting PSU again? Not sure why he is even a serious topic here at this point.

Up to 4 openings, and it seems the serious possibilities are:

Oweh/Smith
Parsons
Walker
Enis
Raines
And/Or a possible late surprise.....

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
From a Ryan snyder article that is found here: https://bwi.rivals.com/news/q-a-dt-aeneas-hawkins

"Snyder: So, how hard are you working on the other defensive lineman to get them to join this class?

Hawkins: Of course, I’m working on guys all the time. I’m already very close withTyreke Smith. I probably talk to him a few times each week. I know he’s going to be an amazing football player, no matter where he ends up. He’s a good dude and smart guy, too. He comes from a great family, so he’s probably the guy I work on the most, but of course I talk to
Jayson [Oweh] and Micah [Parsons], as well.

I’m not going to name names, but I know we’re going to get at least one more elite defensive lineman. That’s all I’ll say."

From the info available Parsons and Fields current recruiting situations have nothing in common. Has Fields even mentioned PSU lately, or inferred that he would consider visiting PSU again? Not sure why he is even a serious topic here at this point.

Oweh/Smith
Parsons
Walker
Enis
Raines

The whole Fields thing is kind of weird if you ask me. How do you go from committed, to not even in the top 5? Clearly a case of people getting to him after he shot up the recruiting boards. At least Parsons didn't just wipe us off the face of the earth.

From another site:

Penn State could very well be in the driver’s seat for all three of Parsons, Smith, and Oweh. Unfortunately, it’s hard to see the Nittany Lions landing the trio. With the 23 current commits, Penn State sits at 92 scholarship players in 2018 — seven over the 85 limit. Obviously, there’s a certain running back that will be leaving for the NFL draft, which means Penn State is really at 91. Using that number, that means six players will have to leave from the roster just to make room for the current 2018 class, and that’s without even accounting for guys like Parsons or Smith.

There will be attrition along the roster; there always is. But man, James Franklin would have to be a Houdini to be able to fit all three. Fortunately, Penn State does have some time to sort things out, as Oweh and Smith are slated to announce at the Under Armour All-American game, while Parsons has talked about doing the same, but may announce earlier if he’s able to enroll early.

Beyond the defensive ends, I think this just about closes the case on Solomon Enis or Kwantel Raines being viable options. Rasheed Walker might still have a slight opening, but even his spot is no longer guaranteed, which is downright crazy to think about.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...-the-recruiting-trail-football-recruiting-bsd

Why is that you and others are always obsessing about these numbers? EVERYONE knows the situation and EVERYONE knows that JF can't end up with more than 85 and break NCAA rules. So what SHOULD that tell you? It should tell you that YOU (or anyone) don't know all the facts of how JF will get to 85. Can't you just accept that and just fvckin wait? EVERYONE hopes he doesn't resort to processing a few kids that have already been in the program, but for gawd's sake can't you just wait and stop beating the dead horse.

Last edited:
He was at LSU last weekend and it sounds like it went well, except for the Tigers getting pounded. The Tigers would be his best chance for an early starting role. The other suitor, and who appears to be the leader at this point, is UGA. With that being said, they have a deep depth chart at QB. FSU, with their QB depth chart being what it is, appears to have fallen behind UGA.

It would be great, albeit a huge long shot, if the Lions somehow got back in the mix.
Georgia has a true freshman starting at QB...it doesn't get much worse for a high school senior looking at a depth chart.

Georgia has a true freshman starting at QB...it doesn't get much worse for a high school senior looking at a depth chart.

That's true. Now, relate that to DE's. Should ohowIhate get 2 of the top three DE's, what does that say to one of the top DEs in the class of 2019 who lives 20 minutes north of the campus in Columbass? If he, Zach Harrison, wants immediate playing time, would that hinder o$u's chances of landing him?

Don't know, just asking.

OL

That's true. Now, relate that to DE's. Should ohowIhate get 2 of the top three DE's, what does that say to one of the top DEs in the class of 2019 who lives 20 minutes north of the campus in Columbass? If he, Zach Harrison, wants immediate playing time, would that hinder o$u's chances of landing him?

Don't know, just asking.

OL

DEs are a little different than QB and playing time.
DEs you are rotating in throughout a game. You can rotate around 4-6 DE into games.
Most teams don't really rotate QBs in throughout games. Unless you are Penn State and put Tommy Touchdowns in to catch a Trace pass ;)

Reactions: OhioLion and ftlpsu
Interesting article on Fields and again, he has listed Penn State in the mix. Obviously, its a long, long shot, but I'm "vexed" to understand why he mentions the Lions. This is now the third article in the past month where for some reason he includes PSU in the mix. Anyone else hear Field's name in chatter?

Injuries leave No. 1 Justin Fields with questions about finalists Florida State and Georgia
Sep 6, 2017

KENNESAW, Ga. – The nation’s No. 1 recruit is paying even more attention to his finalists.

Quarterback Justin Fields is the rare quarterback to be still uncommitted this late in the recruiting process. After injuries to Florida State QB Deondre Francois and Georgia QB Jacob Eason, Fields hasn’t yet changed anything in decision process.

“I’m considering Florida State, Georgia, Auburn, a little bit of Alabama, Penn State and Florida still too,” said Fields Wednesday after being presented with his Under Armour All-America Game jersey.

But Florida State and Georgia, in particular, have more to prove to Fields. With Francois being lost for the season due to a patella tendon injury and Eason being out indefinitely with a knee injury, both suffered in their team’s first games, the Seminoles and Bulldogs have both turned to true freshmen.

“I’m not really worried about things I can’t control,” the five-star Fields said. “I want to see how Coach Jimbo [Fisher] develops the offense because of a freshman being in there. It’s not really going to change my decision because you have to compete wherever you go, so it’s really seeing how the coaches deal with having a freshman quarterback in there.”

With true freshman James Blackman now starting for FSU and Bailey Hockman, another true freshman QB on the roster, the depth chart in Tallahassee is suddenly very crowded. At Georgia, Fromm is also a true freshman, while Eason is a sophomore. Kirby Smart and the Bulldogs have put added emphasis on landing Fields, not wanting to see the top-ranked player in the state leave.

(Georgia is) the thing as Florida State,” the 6-foot-3, 221-pound Fields said. “No player is ever going to veer me away from a school because if I want to go to a school, I’m going to that school. Just seeing what the coaches do with the freshman quarterback and football players is a focus of my recruitment.”

As far as Auburn is concerned, Fields will be watching to see how the passing game develops this season.

“I just want to see them incorporate more passing into their game because I know they ran the ball a lot because they could on teams,” Fields said. “I want to see more passing,”

The top-ranked prospect in the ultra-talented Peach State doesn’t have any official visits scheduled yet, and having already made a number of unofficial visits to those in serious contention, taking official visits prior to a decision is not paramount.

“I have taken a lot of visits to Florida, Auburn, Georgia and Florida State, so I think I would be able to make a decision,” Fields said. “It will be based on this season goes, and what I see on the offensive side of the ball and just the situation I will be in when I get there. I don’t think I need to take officials to make my mind up.”

Fields, who says LSU is also pursuing him, is looking forward to getting the decision behind him, but doesn’t want to rush into a commitment again after previously being committed to Penn State and knowing all eyes are on him with his decision being impactful for a number of programs.

“It’s really just when I know what school I want to go to it when I’m going to commit,” he said. “I want to get this all over with to be honest with you. … I don’t really feel any pressure because I have already committed to a school before. I just want to make the right decision because I don’t feel like decommitting again. Once I commit to this next school, I’m done.”

Fields will take part in the Under Armour All-America Game January 4 in Orlando, Florida. Fields will join Leonard Fournette, Jadeveon Clowney and Robert Nkemdiche as No. 1 recruits to participate in the game.
Guys go back 10 pages^^^^^

Oweh/Smith
Parsons
Walker
Enis
Raines
The whole Fields thing is kind of weird if you ask me. How do you go from committed, to not even in the top 5? Clearly a case of people getting to him after he shot up the recruiting boards. At least Parsons didn't just wipe us off the face of the earth.
He mentioned us 14 days ago in his top 6.

To be clear I'm good with Levis, but I'd be better with Fields and Levis. If that affects Levis decision so be it. It's not up to me or anyone else on the board. I doubt James is going to stop recruiting the number 1 player in the country regardless of anything, other than a signature on a dotted line. Like James Franklin said himself, just stay positive on recruiting. If the teams keeps winning we'll continue to get peoples' attention.

Hmmmm do we have a silent Dline commit?

Snyder: So, how hard are you working on the other defensive lineman to get them to join this class?

Hawkins: Of course, I’m working on guys all the time. I’m already very close with

Tyreke Smith
. I probably talk to him a few times each week. I know he’s going to be an amazing football player, no matter where he ends up. He’s a good dude and smart guy, too. He comes from a great family, so he’s probably the guy I work on the most, but of course I talk to
Jayson [Oweh]
and
Micah [Parsons]
, as well.

I’m not going to name names, but I know we’re going to get at least one more elite defensive lineman. That’s all I’ll say.

Why is that you and others are always obsessing about these numbers? EVERYONE knows the situation and EVERYONE knows that JF can't end up with more than 85 and break NCAA rules. So what SHOULD that tell you? It should tell you that YOU (or anyone) don't know all the facts of how JF will get to 85. Can't you just accept that and just fvckin wait? EVERYONE hopes he doesn't resort to processing a few kids that have already been in the program, but for gawd's sake can't you just wait and stop beating the dead horse.
Just sharing an article that says we are in good shape with these 3 kids while pointing out that PSU is not taking all 3 of these kids plus Walker, Enis, Raines, & Fileds.

After Hawkins committed, everyone was saying we had four more scholarships to give out, and now we're down to two. What happened? I know we're at 23 and only allowed 25 but why just a couple weeks ago everyone was saying we had four more?

After Hawkins committed, everyone was saying we had four more scholarships to give out, and now we're down to two. What happened? I know we're at 23 and only allowed 25 but why just a couple weeks ago everyone was saying we had four more?

I think you're a PT subscriber. This has been discussed endlessly in the Lions Den, though those that know are only hinting at the answers.

Tyler Friday. . .

Miami and Penn State are still in the mix,” he said. “UCLA is a school that interests me more and more as the year goes on. Georgia is another school that I want to look at. Of course Rutgers is a main school. Michigan State is another school I want to look into. Urban Meyer and James Franklin are the two coaches I have the best relationship with right now."

“I just love the way Penn State is playing right now,” he said. “Watching them on TV, they’re doing a great job. The coaching staff is amazing as well. I talk to coach Spencer and coach Franklin pretty often. They’re all great guys. I’d say the way they are recruiting me now (as opposed to a few months ago) is a good difference. They’re getting to know me more as a person with some FaceTime calls. I always appreciate those."

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals100-dl-michigan-and-ohio-state-will-definitely-get-official-visits-

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Tyler Friday. . .

Miami and Penn State are still in the mix,” he said. “UCLA is a school that interests me more and more as the year goes on. Georgia is another school that I want to look at. Of course Rutgers is a main school. Michigan State is another school I want to look into. Urban Meyer and James Franklin are the two coaches I have the best relationship with right now."

“I just love the way Penn State is playing right now,” he said. “Watching them on TV, they’re doing a great job. The coaching staff is amazing as well. I talk to coach Spencer and coach Franklin pretty often. They’re all great guys. I’d say the way they are recruiting me now (as opposed to a few months ago) is a good difference. They’re getting to know me more as a person with some FaceTime calls. I always appreciate those."

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals100-dl-michigan-and-ohio-state-will-definitely-get-official-visits-
NimbleCommonGreendarnerdragonfly-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
Tyler Friday. . .

Miami and Penn State are still in the mix,” he said. “UCLA is a school that interests me more and more as the year goes on. Georgia is another school that I want to look at. Of course Rutgers is a main school. Michigan State is another school I want to look into.

Urban Meyer and James Franklin are the two coaches I have the best relationship with right now."

Urban Meyer and James Franklin are the two coaches I have the best relationship with right now."

I just love the way Penn State is playing right now,” he said. “Watching them on TV, they’re doing a great job. The coaching staff is amazing as well. I talk to coach Spencer and coach Franklin pretty often. They’re all great guys. I’d say the way they are recruiting me now (as opposed to a few months ago) is a good difference. They’re getting to know me more as a person with some FaceTime calls. I always appreciate those."​

4_5052198.png

Tyler Friday
Ramsey, NJ (Don Bosco Prep)

Defensive Tackle
4-Star
  • Ht 6-3
  • Wt 263
  • 40 4.98
  • CLASS OF 18
247Sports Composite
Natl Comp 64
Pos DT 3
St NJ 4​

Tyler Friday. . .

Yumpin yiminy!

I just love the way Penn State is playing right now,” he said. “Watching them on TV, they’re doing a great job. The coaching staff is amazing as well. I talk to coach Spencer and coach Franklin pretty often. They’re all great guys. I’d say the way they are recruiting me now (as opposed to a few months ago) is a good difference. They’re getting to know me more as a person with some FaceTime calls. I always appreciate those."​

4_5052198.png

Tyler Friday
Ramsey, NJ (Don Bosco Prep)

Defensive Tackle
4-Star
  • Ht 6-3
  • Wt 263
  • 40 4.98
  • CLASS OF 18
247Sports Composite
Natl Comp 64
Pos DT 3