ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

John-Krasinski-no.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Parsons, Oweh, Smith, Fields & Walker... will make it 28. We need to get back down to 25.

1) Fields comes in and i'm assuming Levis will likely bolt. (still at 23)
2) Butts goes Prep. (now at 22)
3) Pinegar takes a grey to rehabilitate his leg. (now at 21)
4) Leaves room for 4: Parsons, Oweh, Smith & Walker.

Boom! I should be on the recruiting staff!

A big LOL at my assumptions. :eek:

Three Fields' crystal balls went to "Foggy" in past couple of days after FSU had been trending to odds on favorite. Worth monitoring because I think these were the schools Fields was being recruited hardest by outside of PSU:

1 - FSU - going to get crowded with Francois likely getting a medical redshirt and 3 more years of eligibility.

2 - Georgia - also crowded at QB with Frohm (true freshman) and Eason (sophomore) as top 2 on depth chart

3 - Florida - offense is a total mess under McIllwain. Probably easiest opportunity for early playing time though.

4 - Auburn - see Florida, but Malzahn's future is murky if they continue to struggle offensively

If PSU keeps rolling offensively while these other teams in the mix struggle, it's really anyone's game with Fields. It will be very interesting to see if they can get him on campus since that's really where he bonded with PSU. It doesn't hurt that this class had Slade and Shorter....and a few other players from the South in Florida and Texas to alleviate some of the distance concerns.

Even if we do not land Smith. You can see the tide changing with Franklin when it comes to recruiting Ohio. Started a year or so ago when CJF started going into Ohio more for recruits such as Clifford, Miranda, etc.

He is now going into Ohio for the bigger names.

Ohio State was always a lock for 99% of these kids out of Ohio. Whoever Ohio State wanted from Ohio, they got.

CJF is putting up fights for these big 4 and 5 star recruits and making them think long and hard about their decision. He is landing visits from these kids and pushing their decisions back closer to NSD. Urban and staff now have to spend more resources and effort to try and get these kids to sign with OSU than in the past. Prior, these kids would get that home state OSU offer their junior year and shut their recruitment down. Even if we don't land most of these kids still, CJF is now causing OSU to put more time, effort, and resources into their recruitment. As many of you know with college athletics, recruiting is a huge amount of time that can take away from weekly game planning during the season and other tasks that Urban and company may have less and less of as CJF continues to press Ohio.

There is a big difference between how Meyer and Tressel treat Ohio. Meyer looks nationally first and then cherry picks his state for his elite kids. JT would load up on Ohio kids, had all the relationships in place throughout Ohio and then would cherry pick regionally and nationally for a few kids. Both ways can work as you have seen but it's pretty interesting how differently they handle it. I do agree that most 8 times out of 10 that tOSU will get the Ohio kids they want. Every now and then one will go to UM, ND, out west, or down south. Now that PSU is coming back they'll get one or two every now and then as well IMO.

Three Fields' crystal balls went to "Foggy" in past couple of days after FSU had been trending to odds on favorite. Worth monitoring because I think these were the schools Fields was being recruited hardest by outside of PSU:

1 - FSU - going to get crowded with Francois likely getting a medical redshirt and 3 more years of eligibility.

2 - Georgia - also crowded at QB with Frohm (true freshman) and Eason (sophomore) as top 2 on depth chart

3 - Florida - offense is a total mess under McIllwain. Probably easiest opportunity for early playing time though.

4 - Auburn - see Florida, but Malzahn's future is murky if they continue to struggle offensively

If PSU keeps rolling offensively while these other teams in the mix struggle, it's really anyone's game with Fields. It will be very interesting to see if they can get him on campus since that's really where he bonded with PSU. It doesn't hurt that this class had Slade and Shorter....and a few other players from the South in Florida and Texas to alleviate some of the distance concerns.

The foggy CBs on Fields are from this Summer, but yes, things are not as clear as they once were with the developments at QB with UGA and FSU.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The foggy CBs on Fields are from this Summer, but yes, things are not as clear as they once were with the developments at QB with UGA and FSU.
No, a bunch of new ones were just put in. I don't think it means much yet.

Even if we do not land Smith. You can see the tide changing with Franklin when it comes to recruiting Ohio. Started a year or so ago when CJF started going into Ohio more for recruits such as Clifford, Miranda, etc.

Ohio State was always a lock for 99% of these kids out of Ohio. Whoever Ohio State wanted from Ohio, they got.

CJF is putting up fights for these big 4 and 5 star recruits and making them think long and hard about their decision. He is landing visits from these kids and pushing their decisions back closer to NSD. Urban and staff now have to spend more resources and effort to try and get these kids to sign with OSU than in the past. Prior, these kids would get that home state OSU offer their junior year and shut their recruitment down. Even if we don't land most of these kids still, CJF is now causing OSU to put more time, effort, and resources into their recruitment. As many of you know with college athletics, recruiting is a huge amount of time that can take away from weekly game planning during the season and other tasks that Urban and company may have less and less of as CJF continues to press Ohio.

Smith is originally from California and have read that he does not have the strong connection to OSU that many Ohio kids do.

Reactions: TheGLOV and T J
Looks like we'll see shortly how the staff is treating the Parsons situation - I'd have to think that they're aware of what happened at OSU and likely had a discussion with him over the weekend because my feeling is that Parsons' visit here was primarily to find out where he stood. If the tea leaves start to see him trending towards Penn State, I think we'll be able to guess how the staff is approaching it. Parsons also said recently that he's considering enrolling early, too, which might alter his timeline.

At this point, too, I think Rasheed Walker might end up leaning towards Maryland or OSU - especially if OSU cuts bait with Jackson Carmon. We might very well see Parsons, Smith, AND Oweh with no Walker or Enis - a situation I wouldn't have guessed a month ago.

CJF is putting up fights for these big 4 and 5 star recruits and making them think long and hard about their decision. He is landing visits from these kids and pushing their decisions back closer to NSD. Urban and staff now have to spend more resources and effort to try and get these kids to sign with OSU than in the past. Prior, these kids would get that home state OSU offer their junior year and shut their recruitment down. Even if we don't land most of these kids still, CJF is now causing OSU to put more time, effort, and resources into their recruitment. As many of you know with college athletics, recruiting is a huge amount of time that can take away from weekly game planning during the season and other tasks that Urban and company may have less and less of as CJF continues to press Ohio.[/QUOte

Great perspective, never thought about recruiting that way.

I wonder if Iowa has any recruits worth poaching this Saturday?

http://iowa.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits

I don't see any player on their commit list that CJF would go after. CJF obviously loves the "3 star" kids he identified early and are part of the class, and he will be turning away "4 star" talent, of which there is none of on the Iowa commit list.

Rather, Iowa will be battling pitt for the 50th best class.... and maybe Iowa and pitt should schedule another series, as their games would be pretty evenly matched, perfect for a good rivalry....

Last edited:
Some insight from an OSU writer who switched his CB for Parsons to Penn State today. Not sure if I agree that we can only take one of the three DEs, but interesting nonetheless:

"Parsons, meanwhile, had a great visit to Penn State this weekend, and sources close to the Nittany Lions' program tell me he was “humbled” by the events on social media over the last week-plus. Now, there's an overwhelming feeling that Penn State now sits in the driver's seat in his recruitment.

It's funny, though, as I was told a week ago the Nittany Lions were pretty much moving on altogether. That's the nature of the recruiting business, though. It's almost like a marriage that's going through some rough patches. All Parsons and the Penn State staff needed was a bit of separation to realize how much they really wanted and needed one another.

Now, James Franklin and the rest of his staff must decide — with only one spot open along the defensive line in its current recruiting class — whether it wants to go all-out for Parsons, Tyreke Smith or Jayson Oweh. And Ohio State will certainly feel the impact, which is why my Crystal Ball predictions remain with the Buckeyes for Smith and Oweh (and you'll see several switched for the latter in the coming days)."

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...t-while-ohio-state-makes-cut-for-tampa-corner

Some insight from an OSU writer who switched his CB for Parsons to Penn State today. Not sure if I agree that we can only take one of the three DEs, but interesting nonetheless:

"Parsons, meanwhile, had a great visit to Penn State this weekend, and sources close to the Nittany Lions' program tell me he was “humbled” by the events on social media over the last week-plus. Now, there's an overwhelming feeling that Penn State now sits in the driver's seat in his recruitment.

It's funny, though, as I was told a week ago the Nittany Lions were pretty much moving on altogether. That's the nature of the recruiting business, though. It's almost like a marriage that's going through some rough patches. All Parsons and the Penn State staff needed was a bit of separation to realize how much they really wanted and needed one another.

Now, James Franklin and the rest of his staff must decide — with only one spot open along the defensive line in its current recruiting class — whether it wants to go all-out for Parsons, Tyreke Smith or Jayson Oweh. And Ohio State will certainly feel the impact, which is why my Crystal Ball predictions remain with the Buckeyes for Smith and Oweh (and you'll see several switched for the latter in the coming days)."

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...t-while-ohio-state-makes-cut-for-tampa-corner

I think we're most likely to get Smith out of any of them.

How's this sound:

1. Parson = LB and let him play FB when needed.

2. Smith = DE

3. Oweh = DE

Haven't heard nary a word on that Xavier Peters to PSU possibility recently.

Walker and Easy = maybe we should not be resting so easy.

They will take Parsons, Smith and Oweh easy peasy. Parsons is a future LB.

Interesting that oh-high-ya believes they know how many additional DL recruits CJF will take, referring to RLR. I didn't hear or read CJF announcing his target priority list, or how he may approach possibly grayshirting an injured recruit, or.....

We can guess, and it looks unlikely that CJF would take all 3 of Oweh, Parsons, and Smith. But no one knows except CJF how he will approach it. Obviously, that's why we are all speculating......

Now, the young lady that did get my 17-year old and his buddy's attention was walking around in a t-shirt with sleeves cut off and the sides cut down to look like my son's weight lifting shirt - the sides open from shoulder to waist. Oh, and she was not wearing any undergarment! :eek: She left nothing to the imagination. You get a lot of commitments from recruits if she was helping!!

OL
This may be the most flagrant case of not providing a picture that I can recall. I can't believe that you are human, as anyone with some tiny amount of human decency would not torture his fellow man this way. I vote for permanent expulsion unless quick and absolute contrition is shown by OhioLion, including photos of this or a similar young woman.

Florida has a verbal from 5 star qb already who committed to USC originally.

Now, the young lady that did get my 17-year old and his buddy's attention was walking around in a t-shirt with sleeves cut off and the sides cut down to look like my son's weight lifting shirt - the sides open from shoulder to waist. Oh, and she was not wearing any undergarment! :eek: She left nothing to the imagination. You get a lot of commitments from recruits if she was helping!

This may be the most flagrant case of not providing a picture that I can recall. I can't believe that you are human, as anyone with some tiny amount of human decency would not torture his fellow man this way. I vote for permanent expulsion unless quick and absolute contrition is shown by OhioLion, including photos of this or a similar young woman.
Here, I'll pick up the flag for you:

7b228af2d6b5a769b85fed6624a1204a--erotic-photography-dark-side.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that oh-high-ya believes they know how many additional DL recruits CJF will take, referring to RLR. I didn't hear or read CJF announcing his target priority list, or how he may approach possibly grayshirting an injured recruit, or.....

We can guess, and it looks unlikely that CJF would take all 3 of Oweh, Parsons, and Smith. But no one knows except CJF how he will approach it. Obviously, that's why we are all speculating......

Agree, Walker and Enis have an impact here along with possible grey shirt for the punter and possible prep school for at least one. So there are other dynamics at play. If Walker and Enis suddenly verbal to PSU or elsewhere, it obviously can impact the DL shakeout.

I'm hopeful we get at least one of them, that's all I hoped for initially. Not out of the picture that we could possibly be so fortunate to get more than one.

Will be fun to see what happens.

Agree, Walker and Enis have an impact here along with possible grey shirt for the punter and possible prep school for at least one. So there are other dynamics at play. If Walker and Enis suddenly verbal to PSU or elsewhere, it obviously can impact the DL shakeout.

I'm hopeful we get at least one of them, that's all I hoped for initially. Not out of the picture that we could possibly be so fortunate to get more than one.

Suddenly? One or more of them may already have!

Or not.

CJF has said he will be turning away 4 star players. Great problem to have.

Yep, we need a dominant DL player to get the defense into a top 10 defense....

It is looking as if Enis may not visit as scheduled earlier.
He probably cannot commit right now.
Still lots of variables to play out.

QUOTE="GregInPitt, post: 2985329, member: 222"]I don't see any player on their commit list that CJF would go after. CJF obviously loves the "3 star" kids he identified early and are part of the class, and he will be turning away "4 star" talent, of which there is none of on the Iowa commit list.

Rather, Iowa will be battling pitt for the 50th best class.... and maybe Iowa and pitt should schedule another series, as their games would be pretty evenly matched, perfect for a good rivalry....
[/QUOTE]

Nope. They don't kill it on recruits. Yet somehow, they pull off way too many wins with their inferior talent. Was a cold and depressing return from Cedar Rapids airport in '08 when our crazy-talented team got shocked, just like UM did last year--and loads of others over the years. Thank God for their second rate talent that CJF wouldn't want.... I'll take a one point win and hope we don't inspire them this week with knocks on their talent, program, weather, girls, corn, art on campus, mini-markets, pink walls or whatever.

And we didn't exactly kill Pitt at home in a revenge performance after last year's loss. Lots of 3-stars winning in Kinnick.

Reactions: ram2020
Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
Looks like the OSU staff and "insiders" are really pushing the numbers crunch false narrative to the recruits and players. If all three want to go to PSU, JF will make it work.

It will be interesting to see how much longer Larry Johnson coaches. He is 65 and this three year contract ends in June. I hope this a topic OSU D line recruits are discussing.
LJ had his elite days but will be like 70 when the kids he is recruiting are at Ohio St. There is no way a coach, much less a position coach, is even good at age 70 and LJs weight can't possibly help him either. What 18 year old DL wants to learn technique from a guy approaching 70 that is too heavy to even move around a practice field? Loved LJ back in the day but there is no way he'll be even average in a few years.

mtm56: Steve Wiltfong is predicting a train wreck for OSU recruiting class. He has CB'd Parsons, Ty Smith, Oweh, and Fancheux to PSU. If Carman goes to Clemson [which I am suspecting], we will have lost 5 top flight recruits, while watching PSU pulling even with us both on the field and recruiting. Thoughts???

Helwagen: Meh, long way to go still. Need to get the guys in for official visits and take it from there. They will replace any "losses" with players rated as highly or nearly as highly.

I don't worry about 1 or 2 guys. They aren't out on Smith or Carman until they sign elsewhere, in my book. Just let it play out.

Well, time will tell about Franklin's door, but Meyer's door, I think is closed and locked. The irony of all this, is that of course Harbaugh's door is not only always open, but He'll show up at YOUR door with a sleeping bag
....and climb the tree in your front yard if asked!

Reactions: BisbeeMike

I've been saying for awhile now that I don't think Enis has a spot. We'll see how it shakes out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT